whats wrong with our strickers

DREAMTEAM2014

whats happening with our strikers for the last couple of years we always prided ourselves as having a proven goalscorer with 15+goals a season

beattie

lambert

pelle

mane

j-rod

now look what we have - had,

they couldn't muster up 10 goals a season between them the way things are looking

obefemi - cant stay fit

ings - jurys still out for along time

adams -trying- but maybe a one season wonder?

carrilo- don't know just don't know why we bought him

gabbi -loved him but no-one else did

we have 3 coaches that were either as(goalkeepers) players or a coach and a former defender as backroom staff, do we need a someone that is was a out and out striker to be on the backroom team or is there someone ???

Well Obafemi looks to be a prospect but has been unlucky with injuries, and wouldn't be first choice anyway, so it's hard to judge him, especially at the age of 19.

Long, granted doesn't score many, although he got a few under Hasenhuttl last season, but for a striker who is now third/fourth choice and whose general job would be to come and and badger tiring legs, we probably couldn't do much better in the short term.

Ings, again, has suffered with injuries, but if he can stay injury free I reckon he'd hit 10+ this season, depending on how much game time he gets behind (or paired with) Adams. His link play appears to be decent, he just needs a bit of confidence perhaps to start scoring again.

Adams is obviously number 1 choice, our hands were tied with Ings. Patience is needed here, I still think he'll come good in the long term. His first goal will be key.

As long as we have the likes of Redmond (eventually), Boufal, Djenepo and JWP behind them creating/scoring goals, it's less worrying about the strikers not scoring. I think we will click against someone soon and thump someone, although our fixtures post-Bournemouth are tricky.

Obafemi - can't expect a 19 year old to be a 15+ goal a season striker, not unless they're name's Mbappe. If he can stay fit he'll be okay, needs some game time ideally

Ings - Last season was his first full season back from serious injuries & in a new side, scored 7 in 24. Fitness is his issue, not goal scoring. If he can stay fit, he'll be decent

Adams - Big step up, been unlucky with a couple of chances in the last few games. Will get goals

Carrillo - wasn't he bought on the recommendation of Pellegrini? Reckon the club had someone else lined up and changed to him

Gabbiadini - massively overrated by some, yeah alright he was the one who put the ball in the net at Swansea and got a couple in the cup final but he averaged a goal every 5 games and during 17/18 scored 5 in 28, which is worse than Ings' 7 in 24 last season, yet Ings isn't good enough and you loved Gabbiadini? Strange. Even Shane Long has a similar scoring record, over a much longer period.

as @SNSUN said we have a few more goal scoring options than the last couple of seasons, as long as everyone's goals don't dry up, strikers going a couple without a goal isn't a big deal

In my mind we don't play with a traditional striker, so I'm not sure this line of thinking applies. Our striker is just another "attacking midfield type" running around with the rest. So Redmond, a striker, Djenepo, whoever else, all basically play the same. Its not like we have a target guy in the middle who we are relying on. As long as the goals come from "the team" I'm ok.

Can we include the cups? /innocent question/

What, and not even give the Skates half a chance by playing our under 18's? Hmm, I suppose so! Against them I'd like every pacy player we have fit playing. Tear them a new one. Though as N'Lundulu is such a unit, it would be interesting to see him given some game time to bully their defence.

Someone will be a hero, I struggle to see anything other than a Saints win.

Only 8 players scored 15+ PL goals last year -

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Sadio Mané

Mohamed Salah

Sergio Agüero

Jamie Vardy

Harry Kane

Raheem Sterling

Eden Hazard

The year before the list was pretty similar -

Mohamed Salah

Harry Kane

Sergio Agüero

Jamie Vardy

Raheem Sterling

Romelu Lukaku

Roberto Firmino

Pretty much every player there would cost you upwards of £80-90 million I reckon minimum, aside maybe Vardy as he's 32. And pretty much every player (aside Vardy again) there is playing for a top 6 club as well.

Similar look to 16/17 as well, Josh King got 16 a few years ago, but followed that up with 8 and 12 the following seasons, Callum Wilson got 14 last year and already has 3 this year so might break 15 if he can stay fit. Benteke got 15 a few seasons ago, look at him since.

You have to be pretty lucky to get a consistent 15+ goal a season PL striker without spending A LOT of money (i.e like unearthing a Vardy or Wilson from the lower leagues or getting someone like Kane through the youth system), and let's be honest if we found one from somewhere and they got 15 goals in a season, like say Che Adams hits his stride this year, got that first goal out of the way and got 15, we'd probably be struggling to keep him, especially if he got another say 15 next year.

I mean I suppose that is what we have gone for in Adams and to a lesser extent Ings, going for someone who has scored reliably in the championship who can hopefully step up and become a gem.

I think we have a good mix in attack to be honest, it's a mixture of pace, some strength and power - I don't expect all the goals to come from the focal points, as I don't think we play like that really now days. Redmond, Moussa, Boufal, Ings, Adams all pop up and move around. It's a very dynamic attack and I'd expect all of them to contribute goals this year, but I don't think we'll see a standout 15 goal return from one of them as we don't play that way.

"we always prided ourselves as having a proven goalscorer with 15+goals a season" :lol: :mcinnes:

Don't know where to start on this one.

Well yeh that too, looking back at top goalscorers (in PL) over the years (going backwards) it goes -

7 Ings

7 Austin

7 Redmond

11 Mane/Pelle

12 Pelle

15 Jay Rod

15 Lambert

12 Crouch

14 Beattie

23 Beattie

14 Pahars

11 Beattie

13 Pahars

7 Ostenstad

11 Le Tiss/Ostenstad

13 Le Tiss

7 Le Tiss/Shipperley

19 Le Tiss

25 Le Tiss

15 Le Tiss

So it's only happened 5 times in 20 seasons, and 3 of those were Le Tiss right at the start.

We are just as likely to have a top scorer with 7 than 15+

Pelle and Mane never scored 15 league goals in a season for us. J-Rod managed it once in five seasons, without ever even coming close the other seasons. Beattie managed it once in seven seasons. Lambert did it once in two PL seasons. Twp of those just scraped another if you include cups.

We do lack good, reliable strikers though, we also over estimate how good our strikers were in the past.

Well yeh that too, looking back at top goalscorers (in PL) over the years (going backwards) it goes -

7 Ings

7 Austin

7 Redmond

11 Mane/Pelle

12 Pelle

15 Jay Rod

15 Lambert

12 Crouch

14 Beattie

23 Beattie

14 Pahars

11 Beattie

13 Pahars

7 Ostenstad

11 Le Tiss/Ostenstad

13 Le Tiss

7 Le Tiss/Shipperley

19 Le Tiss

25 Le Tiss

15 Le Tiss

So it's only happened 5 times in 20 seasons, and 3 of those were Le Tiss right at the start.

We are just as likely to have a top scorer with 7 than 15+

Yeah, aside from the fact it's not true, the thing that made me laugh was the idea that we "prided ourselves" on it, rather than simply being something we have (or haven't) benefitted from. I thought teams prided themselves on attacking football, a great youth academy, or oldest floodlights, but didn't realise it extended to "having good players" :)

livin jesus does everyone get real anal on here when you put something up that is slightly incorrect?

Thanks people for educating me

think that will be my 1st and final post on here .....

i think i will just follow my beloved saints from the emerald isle on the box,

coys

'once a mush always a mush'

livin jesus does everyone get real anal on here when you put something up that is slightly incorrect?

coys

You all right, hun?

coys

Good moaning, Officer Crabtree ere. I was ****ing by this thread, and do nit know what all the fiss is aboat. I understand processly what you mane.