Hesketh and Flannigan join Burton Albion on loan

SuperSAINT

The only time I ever saw Hesketh play was against Beer Sheva, and he looked hopelessly out of his depth.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ralph were to give him a run out to have a look at him, but I'm not sure he has a future at Saints TBH.

The rest of the team looked hopelessly out of their depth that night too though.

• 3 weeks later...

What Nigel Clough said about Burton Albion's ongoing interest in Southampton's Jake Hesketh:

Burton Albion are continuing to stay in touch with Southampton over former loanee Jake Hesketh.

The 22-year-old scored three goals in 23 appearances for Albion in the first half of the season, including the winning strike in their Carabao Cup quarter-final win at Middlesbrough in December.

Talks had begun over extending Hesketh's loan spell for the rest of the campaign when he suffered a hamstring injury in the Boxing Day victory over Wycombe Wanderers - and he returned to Southampton for his recovery.

Hesketh and Saints teammate Jake Flannigan's loan deals at the Pirelli Stadium expired on January 2.

"We have heard how he's getting on, I don't think much has changed in terms of that," said Nigel Clough.

"Obviously we'd take Jake back if the terms were right.

"I think he is about fit now.

"We've been keeping in touch and we'll see what happens."

Albion have signed Josh Clarke on loan from Brentford and Colin Daniel on a permanent contract from Peterborough United so far this month.

Clough has confirmed they are looking to bring another loan player in before the end of the transfer window on Thursday, if they can do the right deal.

Source: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/burton-albion-jake-hesketh-southampton-2487013

Bit unfair on the lad, recalling him when he had that big match vs Man City, to then send him out elsewhere. Not sure quite what that achieved.

He returned as he was injured. Doubtless RH then wanted to take a look at him.

09:53

HESKETH TO MK

Southampton’s young midfielder Jake Hesketh is heading on loan to MK Dons for the rest of the season, Sky Sports News understands.

The 22-year-old returned to St Mary’s earlier this month after spending the first half of the season at Burton Albion, scoring three goals in 23 appearances.

Unusual move. Maybe MK Dons paid a little more.

As stevy777_x said, they are a league down as well (but towards the top of the table). Tisdale is a really good coach though.

I'm half expecting Sims to go out as well today.

Nigel Clough on what Southampton wanted for Jake Hesketh to return to Burton Albion on loan

Nigel Clough says Burton Albion were unable to get Jake Hesketh back on the same loan deal from Southampton as they had for the first half of the season.

The 22-year-old midfielder - who scored three goals in 23 appearances for Albion - joined League Two side MK Dons on loan on transfer deadline day.

Burton had been keen to get Hesketh back for the remainder of the campaign, and discussions had begun about extending his stay at the end of last year, before he sustained a hamstring injury.

He returned to St Mary's at the end of his initial loan spell on January 2 - and when the Brewers looked into getting him back, Clough says the Saints wanted different financial terms.

"We said all along that we'd like to keep Jake Hesketh on the same deal," said the Burton boss.

"Southampton wanted something different and wanted a bit of money for him, and unfortunately for Jake, he has ended up stepping down to League Two.

"I'd have thought that, having had such a good first half of the season in League One, Southampton would've wanted him to at least stay at this level.

"We just thought the benefit that Southampton and Jake were getting from him being with us wasn't worth a little bit of finances that Southampton were asking for.

"When you think they get £150m in the Premier League, a few quid for a young player isn't going to make too much difference for them.

"Jake has done brilliantly, we move onto the next one. It just means that Marcus Harness has now flourished, he's come in to the fray, and we've got Will Miller, we've Joe Sbarra, all those.

"So it'll be our young players instead of somebody else's."

Despite missing out on Hesketh this time, Albion will continue to monitor the 22-year-old's progress at MK Dons ahead of next season.

"Of course, we'll see how he does at MK Dons and then we'll see the situation," added Clough.

"He's under contract for at least another year, I think, so it'll be dependent on what they do.

"It was brilliant for them in the first place, letting him out to us, and we'd have loved to have kept him on those same terms."

Source: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/jake-hesketh-southampton-mk-dons-2508201

Nigel Clough on what Southampton wanted for Jake Hesketh to return to Burton Albion on loan

Source: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/jake-hesketh-southampton-mk-dons-2508201

That's disappointing and doesn't cover us in glory. Dropping into league 2 is a retrograde step for Hesketh and won't help him develop. I don't see him as a premier league player but he's certainly not a league 2 player.

That's disappointing and doesn't cover us in glory. Dropping into league 2 is a retrograde step for Hesketh and won't help him develop. I don't see him as a premier league player but he's certainly not a league 2 player.

I agree. Certainly an unusual move.

Devils advocate: MK Dons are a bigger club & going for promotion though - Tisdale a good manager too.

I agree. Certainly an unusual move.

Devils advocate: MK Dons are a bigger club & going for promotion though - Tisdale a good manager too.

Fair point, and he's better off playing some competitive football rather than u23 football.

Sounds like we really are looking for cash wherever we can find it. Sad that it might be at the expense of a young players development. Call me foolish, but I'm still holding out hope for him and Sims.

Slightly contradictory statements from Clough there perhaps?

On one hand he says its a shame that they couldn't get Hesketh back but on the other hand he says its good that they didn't because it's allowed their player(s) to flourish instead.

Perhaps if he had had enough faith in his own squad resources in the first place he wouldn't have needed a loanee....

Bolton is the place he should have gone to, he proved he could do it against championship teams in the league cup.

They were playing Gary O'neil in his position when they were on sky for gods sake!

Did they want him?

Sounds like we really are looking for cash wherever we can find it. Sad that it might be at the expense of a young players development. Call me foolish, but I'm still holding out hope for him and Sims.

Seems reasonable to me getting money for his services, difference between mid League One and top League Two is not that great and working with Tisdale, Oakley and Butters is probably a lot better than Cloughie.

Bolton is the place he should have gone to, he proved he could do it against championship teams in the league cup.

They were playing Gary O'neil in his position when they were on sky for gods sake!

I assume if we wanted a % of wages paid & a loan fee, then that would likely rule Bolton out.

Slightly contradictory statements from Clough there perhaps?

On one hand he says its a shame that they couldn't get Hesketh back but on the other hand he says its good that they didn't because it's allowed their player(s) to flourish instead.

Perhaps if he had had enough faith in his own squad resources in the first place he wouldn't have needed a loanee....

Oh please. It's plain what he's saying. Are you being deliberate in that assertion or should I now just put you in the 'Heisenberg' category? I'm not even going to discuss that comment further.

I assume if we wanted a % of wages paid & a loan fee, then that would likely rule Bolton out.

It's pathetic that we did. Nigel Clough is spot on but experience in a struggling Champ side would far outweigh going to a struggling league one side whereas between Mk dons and Burton there's less difference and Mk Dons will dominate more games.

Not in any way saying Bolton wanted him but just thought it would be a good fit for all concerned

Oh please. It's plain what he's saying. Are you being deliberate in that assertion or should I now just put you in the 'Heisenberg' category? I'm not even going to discuss that comment further.
Are you suggesting 'Glasgow' has been rubbing off on me? Last time that happened was in a lovely hotel in Milan...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
No mention of Saints on his Twitter bio anymore. Released?

Would be a shame - he's got talent, but a lack of physicality and injuries have held him back here.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Still showing on OS - Squad No 42. I thought he was a great prospect and always played well for the Under 23's. He also had two good loans last season. The silence is deafening.

Still showing on OS - Squad No 42. I thought he was a great prospect and always played well for the Under 23's. He also had two good loans last season. The silence is deafening.

Not in the u23s squad tonight either (Marcus Barnes is on the bench, no loan to Monaco as yet then). Can only think Hesketh is injured, if we had released him I'm sure an EFL club would have snapped him up. Love the new openness from the Club ?

Hesketh picked up a minor injury, which stopped a potential championship move this summer. Expect him to make a move in January now, not sure if loan or permanent. You'd think a permanent move would be best for both parties now. Shame as he has shown promise when he's featured for the first team.