Matt Targett

benjii

true that he would be playing a lot with bertrand not featuring much due to injury or suspension or otherwise, but doesn't change the fact that targett was still a slow, and barely adequate deputy to bertie while he was here, not too fussed about him getting sold, much more annoyed we don't have any fullbacks upto the standard required for ralphs "system" or the pl in general.

Never rated him however selling him and not getting in a replacement was idiotic. A lot of the complainants about the manager playing people out of position can be put down to the fullback/wingback postions especially the left where we have one player for that position..... A player who hasn't wanted to be here for a long time, and when he does play just phones in a performance, who for whatever reason hasn't played for half of this season so far.

Getting rid of Targett made perfect sense if it was to buy a better LB with Bertrand as back up. Of course that didn't happen because our club is run by morons.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Never rated him however selling him and not getting in a replacement was idiotic. A lot of the complainants about the manager playing people out of position can be put down to the fullback/wingback postions especially the left where we have one player for that position..... A player who hasn't wanted to be here for a long time, and when he does play just phones in a performance, who for whatever reason hasn't played for half of this season so far.

Getting rid of Targett made perfect sense if it was to buy a better LB with Bertrand as back up. Of course that didn't happen because our club is run by morons.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

To think some people and local press said Losing Wilson was a big loss looooooooooooool

I think most were open to the sale.

The depressing factor of the sale however was that we needed his money in order to buy Che Adams. A PL club in this day and age shouldn’t need to raise £15m through a player sale.

And obviously we then didn't have the money to replace him in the position, hence the utter mess at full back this year.

I watched the Wolves Villa game yesterday and Targett was beaten every time someone ran at him. Gave the ball away twice by playing it backwards from the half-way line, and was lucky that Wolves failed to capitalise on the resulting attack.

Could have given away a pen, when desperately trying to keep pace with a faster forward.

Got a bang to the head in the tumble that followed the possible penalty and then put himself forward just before half-time as he was feeling a bit groggy.

Awful, awful performance. Looked every inch a Championship player.

Left back is the real sign of how much we've lost our way. In the last twenty years we've brought through three international quality players in that position, Bale, Bridge and Shaw. When we needed someone who could just do a job or be a short term replacement, we could send in Mills, Targett or McQueen. Getting a decent replacement from another club? Le Saux and Bertrand were proven to have some class and competence. Harding was great when we needed someone at the lower levels too.

Now we'd rather play no proper left back than even look at what's coming through the system.

How's he getting on at Villa?

Probably would have started most games for us this season if we hadn't flogged him off.

To answer the bit no one has answered yet - seems to have done alright for Villa created a good situation for Villa as looks like McGinn(?) wasn’t just going to lay down for a nipper to take his place so upped his game, Matt’s opportunity came and was taken with both hands and stayed in when McGinn was fit again. Matt got injured in the West Midlands derby yesterday and McGinn rolled his sleeves up a got stuck in, despite losing.

Villa have 2 pieces of jigsaw that fit in the hole they are supposed to.

Sold Targett leaving us with one left back.

Loaned Lemina and Reed out (I'm sure we would have sold if we could) leaving us with two central midfielders (plus JWP and Armstrong (who is apparently a wing back now)).

The whole thing is just weird and inept.

When we sold Targett I assumed it was a vote of confidence in Vokins or other young players coming through that they would be able to step up when Bertrand was unable to play.

But if that was the plan it seems noone asked Ralph as he clearly doesn't think the young players are up to it, hence the playing all and sundry out of position at left back!

Just another sign of the lack of coherent strategy at the club at present.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I thought the noises coming from the club when Targett was sold were that Vokins would move up the pecking order.

He's been training every day with the senior squad since Hasenhuttl took over a year ago, yet has made only one substitute appearance in injury time in the league cup.

Either he's extremely slow on the uptake, or he's just not very good. Regardless, the manager isn't prepared to give an actual left back a go when we've got no left backs available, which is a pretty weird state of affairs given that he'll play literally anyone there, regardless of ability or suitability for the role.

For what it's worth, I think Vokins is quite promising - certainly a better left back than Valery is a right back. Not s ringing endorsement, I know, but hey...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

When we sold Targett I assumed it was a vote of confidence in Vokins or other young players coming through that they would be able to step up when Bertrand was unable to play.

But if that was the plan it seems noone asked Ralph as he clearly doesn't think the young players are up to it, hence the playing all and sundry out of position at left back!

Just another sign of the lack of coherent strategy at the club at present.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Think the "plan" was to get some quick easy cash.