The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

We've got to play Croatia home and away in the Nations League.

Thankfully, the away leg in Zagreb is behind closed doors because their fans are racist.

After 1990 we stank the place out at Euro 92 and failed to qualify for USA 94.

Don't believe the hype that this is the start of a glorious story where we get better and better and better. Spain, Croatia in that mini league looks like an effing nightmare.

Let's see if we can do it on a cold wet Wednesday night in Madrid.

We've got a decent bunch of lads, but no world class players yet. It's a 100% better than the Euros were and far far better watching this bunch than the so called "Golden generation". First time for years I was actually bothered about an English side.

I just hope there's no soft arsed bus parades or soppy documentaries after this . We beat Tunisia , Panama & Sweden, drew with Columbia and lost to Croatia and Belgium. So it's not really appropriate. And WTF is the 3rd place play off all about, the most meaningless game in football

Fair play to Croatia with a population that small its pretty amazing how well they do and how many fantastic players they develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost twice to decent teams. England’s World Cup. Got my winnings on 1-1 and goal in extra time. Wish they wouldn’t go overboard on the schtick about bright new start and Southgate’s genius. But still good to see them play with a bit of team-ness. Oh well

More than anything, we needed Bertrand instead of Young tonight.

Bertrand would have made little difference. The midfield got overran once the wingbacks were pushed back. Needed cooler heads in midfield e.g. Carrick in his heyday or even Lallana who were comfortable on the ball to regain control of the game and allow the wingbacks to push up and give Croatia something to worry about again.

Edited by shurlock

After 1990 we stank the place out at Euro 92 and failed to qualify for USA 94.

Don't believe the hype that this is the start of a glorious story where we get better and better and better. Spain, Croatia in that mini league looks like an effing nightmare.

Let's see if we can do it on a cold wet Wednesday night in Madrid.

Preferred tonight than folding against Brazil in an earlier round though

We've got a decent bunch of lads, but no world class players yet. It's a 100% better than the Euros were and far far better watching this bunch than the so called "Golden generation". First time for years I was actually bothered about an English side.

I just hope there's no soft arsed bus parades or soppy documentaries after this . We beat Tunisia , Panama & Sweden, drew with Columbia and lost to Croatia and Belgium. So it's not really appropriate. And WTF is the 3rd place play off all about, the most meaningless game in football

Fair play to Croatia with a population that small its pretty amazing how well they do and how many fantastic players they develop.

Yep, that’s about the size of it, I reckon.

Preferred tonight than folding against Brazil in an earlier round though
Not much in it to be honest.

A quarter final against Brazil is what the WC is all about and we should embrace it.

I wrote that ten days ago or whenever it was and stand by it. Enjoyed beating Sweden and great to get to tonight but the other side of the draw would have been interesting in its own way, especially if we had beaten Belgium to get there.

Bertrand would have made little difference. The midfield got overran once the wingbacks were pushed back. Needed cooler heads in midfield e.g. Carrick in his heyday or even Lallaba who were comfortable on the ball to regain control of the game and allow the wingbacks to push up again.

Needed anyone alongside Henderson once the midfield battle started to turn. Neither Alli nor Lingard were able to respond to the change in dynamic - both continued to play as if their main responsibility was being alive to turnovers up the pitch that never came.

A quarter final against Brazil is what the WC is all about and we should embrace it.

I wrote that ten days ago or whenever it was and stand by it. Enjoyed beating Sweden and great to get to tonight but the other side of the draw would have been interesting in its own way, especially if we had beaten Belgium to get there.

Getting to a semi final, no matter how you slice it, is better than another defeat in the quarters.

What a load of nonsense, we would have got murdered by Brazil. We were unlucky not to go through tonight. Only a complete idiot would have wanted to be on the other side of the draw.

I bet there's not one neutral anywhere watching tonight thinking the same. Take your red and white glasses off man, you're embarrassing yourself

I bet there where plenty of England fans watching tonight who thought Young shouldn't be in the team.

We had the chances to be clear by half time but did not/could not/desperately unlucky not to take them - bottom line we were good enough but failed to make it count, and eventually the experience and "game management" (hate the phrase but it's true in this case) of Croatia told. Good luck to them - they will need it against France.

Kane, Allie and Young didn't show up today - shame (maybe not fully fit?). Had Sterling and Lingard shown a bit more composure, we could have still won. But hey ho, good run and proud of the lads and hope they grow stronger for the experience (and we get another favorable route :-)).

Such a shame and I am really disappointed to lose tonight but one thing this defeat has shown me 100% is that I would have been far more upset if Saints has lost at Swansea on that Tuesday night sending us down.

Walkers defending for their equaliser was woeful. Typical full back defending a cross.

Yes! I have to admit I still didn't get the passion I feel for Saints - even though I loved this tournament and England side!

And for all the Mancs screaming for Rashford instead if Sterling, I've got to admit Sterling, for all his frustrating tendencies, was way better.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Totally agree! When Sterling went off was the point where we started to lose the game - deeper defending and less threat up front.

We've got to play Croatia home and away in the Nations League.

Thankfully, the away leg in Zagreb is behind closed doors because their fans are racist.

Incidentally Croatia finished behind Iceland in World Cup qualifying.

I agree with him. Been saying it all tournament: games are won and lost in midfield and we barely had one. Two guys who constantly run away from the ball and Jordan effing Henderson. You can't beat a proper team by giving them both the ball and the freedom of the midfield to play in. It's madness.

We lost tonight once Croatia established dominance in the middle of the park after half time. And Southgate did nothing at all to try and address it - a like for like substitution, Dier for Henderson, when the Liverpool headless chicken ran out of gas predictably made no difference.

Lingard and Alli stayed on, in spite of neither creating chances, retaining possession nor shielding the defence. Even just one of those things would've been nice. But they're not really midfielders. Alli's entire game is stupid flicks, trying to draw fouls and ghosting late into the box to finish off other people's creative work.

As a central midfielder, he's very poor - not a patch on his unfortunately injured teammate Harry Winks, who can actually play the role properly.

England can take some positives from the tournament, of course, but the entire midfield was dysfunctional from the get go and needs a total overhaul.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

What a load of nonsense, we would have got murdered by Brazil. We were unlucky not to go through tonight. Only a complete idiot would have wanted to be on the other side of the draw.
We weren't unlucky to not go through, we fu cking blew it.

This easy draw was supposed to be a route to the final but it wasn't because we didn't get there so ultimately meaningless.

If we'd have beaten Belgium and Japan there would gave been just as much excitement into a match with Brazil, that's all. And if after watching that match you genuinely think we were "unlucky" against Croatia then we could have been equally "unlucky" in a memorable QF against Brazil.

We got to a semi and very enjoyable it was too, but if we'd have got to a quarter final against Brazil then it wouldn't have been much different, and still a reflection of our actual level, which is, pretty obviously, quarter final standard.

We aren't good enough to win the world cup therefore wan king on about "easy draws" is just horsesh it. How about we win the world cup like every other fu cking team that's done it and beat someone good?

This easy draw was supposed to be a route to the final but it wasn't because we didn't get there so ultimately meaningless.

If we'd have beaten Belgium and Japan there would gave been just as much excitement into a match with Brazil, that's all. And if after watching that match you genuinely think we were "unlucky" against Croatia then we could have been equally "unlucky" in a memorable QF against Brazil.

We got to a semi and very enjoyable it was too, but if we'd have got to a quarter final against Brazil then it wouldn't have been much different, and still a reflection of our actual level, which is, pretty obviously, quarter final standard.

We aren't good enough to win the world cup therefore wan king on about "easy draws" is just horsesh it. How about we win the world cup like every other fu cking team that's done it and beat someone good?

I think you are in the minority in basking in a defeat to Brazil in an earlier round

1990 will always be my favourite World Cup. Not because we were great. But as a 10 year old, it captured my imagination. I don’t care that we struggled to beat Cameroon or pretty gash in the groups. A bit like saints, it is not about the glory but the memories and the ride. Losing in another quarter final and again to Brazil is not the stuff of memories.

Slate that view if you want but it appears to be the overwhelmingly popular one

Edited by Batman

I think you are in the minority in basking in a defeat to Brazil in an earlier round

1990 will always be my favourite World Cup. Not because we were great. But as a 10 year old, it captured my imagination. I don’t care that we struggled to beat Cameroon or pretty gash in the groups. A bit like saints, it is not about the glory but the memories and the ride. Losing in another quarter final and again to Brazil is not the stuff of memories

Slate that view if you want but it appears to be the overwhelmingly popular one

I don't disagree with that view- I am about the same age as you, I have those exact same feelings and memories.

The last 16 match we had against Argentina in 1998 remains an iconic match in our history, for Owen's goal, Beckham's sending off, and the penalty shoot out, which one piece of commentary from it, Quickly Kevin Will He Score, has become the title of a popular (and absolutely brilliant) nostalgic football podcast.

If that's not the stuff of memories I don't know what is. A Brazil quarter final with Southgate and our young lions etc perfectly capable of being as memorable.

Edited by CB Fry

I don't disagree with that view- I am about the same age as you, I have those exact same feelings and memories.

Now that we can’t win it, nice to see spurs players looking battered. This is going to hit them hard I reckon.

:-)

I agree with him. Been saying it all tournament: games are won and lost in midfield and we barely had one. Two guys who constantly run away from the ball and Jordan effing Henderson. You can't beat a proper team by giving them both the ball and the freedom of the midfield to play in. It's madness.

We lost tonight once Croatia established dominance in the middle of the park after half time. And Southgate did nothing at all to try and address it - a like for like substitution, Dier for Henderson, when the Liverpool headless chicken ran out of gas predictably made no difference.

Lingard and Alli stayed on, in spite of neither creating chances, retaining possession nor shielding the defence. Even just one of those things would've been nice. But they're not really midfielders. Alli's entire game is stupid flicks, trying to draw fouls and ghosting late into the box to finish off other people's creative work.

As a central midfielder, he's very poor - not a patch on his unfortunately injured teammate Harry Winks, who can actually play the role properly.

England can take some positives from the tournament, of course, but the entire midfield was dysfunctional from the get go and needs a total overhaul.

This is spot on

Agree with you and souness. I was laughed at in the pub for suggesting that we bring on Delph at half time for lingard or alli and try to get a grip on midfield and modric. The game was last with naive tactics.

Young was so exposed, Deli Ali was never helping at all. What position was Lingard playing? Croatia thou, tipped them for the final and winning it, so no shock there, they have two very very good midfielders, Persic is top quality and manzukic is class. In a semi final you will only ever get two or three chances to score, they took there’s, we didn’t.

No way will we win it in Qatar in the middle of a footballing season.

Croatia were the better side in the end but if we had made the most of when we were on top and got a second we probably could have held out. Croatia were all over the place in the first half, we blew our chance at getting to the final but at least we gave it a shot. Brazil would have took that team to pieces.

Don't disagree that from half time onwards our midfield imploded a bit and we couldn't keep a hold on the ball. Give a team like Croatia the amount of possession that we did and eventually they will hurt you, it was so ball achingly predictable.

However - the biggest culprit in England's loss was our forward line esp Kane - if you miss chance after chance then you won't win.

Even in the 2nd half the flagging mid and full backs still managed to provide quality but there was no one there to stab it in. When Trippier supplied a couple of superb balls from the right that flew across the penalty area our no 9 was nowhere, Kane should have gobbled them up. A guy like Suarez would have.

Midfield did get ragged in 2nd half but we would have won if we hadn't ignored so many good chances. Where was the hunger from Kane? Was he carrying a knock or is he a bit soft?

Croatia were the better side in the end but if we had made the most of when we were on top and got a second we probably could have held out. Croatia were all over the place in the first half, we blew our chance at getting to the final but at least we gave it a shot. Brazil would have took that team to pieces.

Nonsense. Rewatched the game and England were very good for 20-25 mins but Croatia were clearly coming back into the ga and finished the half the stronger side. There were plenty of warning signs for the second half. ITV's analysis at HT, especially Gary Neville's complacency, was frankly embarrassing. All in all, his stock isn't much higher than Ashley Young's after this WC.

Edited by shurlock

Nonsense. Rewatched the game and England were very good for 20-25 mins but Croatia were clearly coming back into the ga and finished the half the stronger side. There were plenty of warning signs for the second half. ITV's analysis at HT, especially Gary Neville's complacency, was frankly embarrassing. All in all, his stock isn't much higher than Ashley Young's after this WC.

Nonsense pal.

Seems to me throughout the competition England's best spells of play where always the first 20-25 minutes of a game and then we seemed to tail of in most games.

We did better than I expected but can't say I really ever thought we looked like a really good team we never really had much creativity from open play.

Having said that Southgate did a good job of playing to the squads strengths I think especially attacking set pieces. We kind of a world cup version of last seasons Burnley and worked for us up to a point.

I understand it's easy to get swept up in the emotion and drama of it all pal.

It is true. They were getting back in to the game after 30 mins.

The ball from then was just coming back to easily (and quickly)

Thank god Ashley young is 32 and will probably retire. Easily Southgate’s blind spot

Bigger picture, really enjoyed England again.

It is true. They were getting back in to the game after 30 mins.

The ball from then was just coming back to easily (and quickly)

Thank god Ashley young is 32 and will probably retire. Easily Southgate’s blind spot

Bigger picture, really enjoyed England again.

Yep that's the bigger picture.

England did very well this tournament but our ability in possession is massively lacking and it ultimately cost us. We progressed through great organisation and belief, but the quality has not been there.

There are loads of things to be pleased with, but equally still lots to improve on too. To say we were unlucky is wrong - we got what we deserved last night.