Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

I'm sure a lot of people did change their minds about Hughes though. I would have been very anti- him earlier in the season, when we appointed him I felt like he was the only option, but still better than Pellegrino, and by the end of the season I thought he'd done a great job and deserved a shot at the position full time.

I am a little concerned about Stoke's defensive performances, and rumours that Hughes never worked on defensive drills in training, but equally some people have pointed to his time at, say, Blackburn and Fulham, as spells where he made teams solid and difficult to beat. I'm also wary that Stoke always seemed to start the season badly under Hughes. But it is ok to change your mind about someone if, over time, the evidence changes.

Of course people do, I was referring specifically to the poster in question rather than a general thing about people changing their opinions.

Of course people do, I was referring specifically to the poster in question rather than a general thing about people changing their opinions.

Yeah sure, to be honest I was more using your post to highlight the fact that he wasn't the only one with doubts, but seems to be the only one hanging on to such extreme views. Of course, if we are relegated it will be "I told you so" - after all, the reason people use forums is to prove to other people that their view is right, rather than to share ideas and perspectives, right?!

Let's be honest, most of us had doubts about Hughes, understandably so.

His record at Stoke was decent until his final season but Stoke made the cardinal sin IMHO, of believing they could crack the top 6-8 and chased it making very unlike Stoke signings in the process and paid the price.

If we're honest with each other, league campaigns can hardly be worse than the last two seasons. Up until Hughes I was losing the will to live in football terms.

Mid table for a season or two would be good to stabilize the team, clear out all the trash and bed in some youth players.

I think so it might take couple of seasons and some good transfer windows to get us back to being a top 10 side. We have had four bad transfer windows in a row I don't think we can put it right in one summer. The hope for me this season is just to be better than last season.

But we've got Mark Hughes as Manager, who cannot coach a defence.
Oh really? Given that "fact", it's quite impressive that he's managed to get most of the teams he's managed into the top half of the premier league then, no?

I get that many wouldn't have chosen Hughes in an ideal world, but surely we need to give him a chance and get behind him before writing him off so early FFS. Things could be worse, we could still be managed by Pellegrino (and be in the championship this season)!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think so it might take couple of seasons and some good transfer windows to get us back to being a top 10 side. We have had four bad transfer windows in a row I don't think we can put it right in one summer. The hope for me this season is just to be better than last season.

How is that going to happen? In the last four seasons, we’ve shown little inclination to spend more than we’ve received in transfer fees (indeed we’ve spent less). If we’re accepting losses on players, where is the money going to come from to put things right?

The hope is that the players who’ve underperformed to date, including those we’ve loaned out turn things around and we start hitting on a few Manés and VVDs in our recruitment again. Big ifs. It’s also easy to forget that it wasn’t our skill in the transfer market per se that funded the makeover of our squad during the good years; it was the massive windfall that came from selling youth players that cost pennies to produce. Given the state of the academy, no similar bounty appears on the horizon anytime soon.

Edited by shurlock

He was incredibly anti Hughes before he came in so he's hardly likely to change his position now. I can't see why we would be more likely to go down this season than last season considering that Hughes is a miles better manager than Pellegrino.

And I am still anti-Hughes, quite obviously.

I think he did well to keep us up, but his record defensively has me very worried, considering how poor our central defence seems to be.

And I am still anti-Hughes, quite obviously.

I think he did well to keep us up, but his record defensively has me very worried, considering how poor our central defence seems to be.

Something you certainly would not have predicted when he was appointed so maybe you are wrong in this case too?

Oh really? Given that "fact", it's quite impressive that he's managed to get most of the teams he's managed into the top half of the premier league then, no?

I get that many wouldn't have chosen Hughes in an ideal world, but surely we need to give him a chance and get behind him before writing him off so early FFS. Things could be worse, we could still be managed by Pellegrino (and be in the championship this season)!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think he deserved a chance, but I also think he needed a different back room staff, one that is proven to coach defences well.

I get that my views on Hughes seem to be extreme, but he has done nothing in his (admittedly short) tenure to show that he can answer my criticisms of him.

Something you certainly would not have predicted when he was appointed so maybe you are wrong in this case too?

Where have I said my opinion of him can't be wrong? I just think IMHO, that we will be in another relegation battle this season. Obviously I'll be very happy if not and will be happy to eat humble pie. However, I feel that I won't be.

I think he deserved a chance, but I also think he needed a different back room staff, one that is proven to coach defences well.

I get that my views on Hughes seem to be extreme, but he has done nothing in his (admittedly short) tenure to show that he can answer my criticisms of him.

So how is he expected to answer your criticism's? He kept us up when you expected us to go down, and since then we've not played any competitive matches. :mcinnes:

Apart from save us from relegation. What specifically should he have done differently to answer your criticisms? Kept us up by more points?

Apart from save us from relegation. What specifically should he have done differently to answer your criticisms? Kept us up by more points?

My criticisms were over his ability to keep goals out. He hasn't shown that he can do that even with keeping us up. We were very, very lucky that Swansea were in such turmoil to end the season.

I am struggling to see why, when I didn't want him appointed because of his defensive record, and him keeping us up due to a poor Swansea side, why I cannot continue to be down on him? Why does this differing opinion offend you guys so much?

Your opinion doesn't 'offend' me at all but you do seem to contradict yourself.

You stated that Hughes 'deserves a chance'. Well so far, he has exceeded your expectations by keeping us up. I understand your concerns about the defence and the number of goals we conceded last year. We'll need to see how things go at the start of this season, I don't read anything into pre-season results but we've signed one centre back which should help address one major issue of being competitive in the air. Hopefully Vestergaard will help with the organisation at the back as well. We won't know if it's resolved things until at least 10 games into the season.

The other point to make is that when Hughes came in, he was in an emergency situation. Now he has a full pre-sesaon to get his idea's across, the new season is the time to judge him. That's called giving him a chance.

I will say that if you asked me at Christmas last year, I would have said that Pellegrino needed sacking but I would not have taken Hughes as I thought there were better options out there. That said, having left things as late as they did, I'm glad the club appointed him, At that time, he was probably the best available. By saving us, he's earned his chance but that also needs everyone to get behind him.

I am struggling to see why, when I didn't want him appointed because of his defensive record, and him keeping us up due to a poor Swansea side, why I cannot continue to be down on him? Why does this differing opinion offend you guys so much?

I'm not offended. I just don't agree a) that we look destined for relegation and b) your suggestion that signing a striker will help us defensively.

I'm not offended. I just don't agree a) that we look destined for relegation and b) your suggestion that signing a striker will help us defensively.

It'll help us score more goals than the opposition - I don't think anything would really help Hughes defensively (unless a change in coaches behind the scenes) - he's proved time after time with different defenses that he's not very good.

Your opinion doesn't 'offend' me at all but you do seem to contradict yourself.

You stated that Hughes 'deserves a chance'. Well so far, he has exceeded your expectations by keeping us up. I understand your concerns about the defence and the number of goals we conceded last year. We'll need to see how things go at the start of this season, I don't read anything into pre-season results but we've signed one centre back which should help address one major issue of being competitive in the air. Hopefully Vestergaard will help with the organisation at the back as well. We won't know if it's resolved things until at least 10 games into the season.

The other point to make is that when Hughes came in, he was in an emergency situation. Now he has a full pre-sesaon to get his idea's across, the new season is the time to judge him. That's called giving him a chance.

I will say that if you asked me at Christmas last year, I would have said that Pellegrino needed sacking but I would not have taken Hughes as I thought there were better options out there. That said, having left things as late as they did, I'm glad the club appointed him, At that time, he was probably the best available. By saving us, he's earned his chance but that also needs everyone to get behind him.

He does deserve a chance. Doesn't mean I have to rate him. Not sure how that's a contradiction?

My criticisms were over his ability to keep goals out. He hasn't shown that he can do that even with keeping us up. We were very, very lucky that Swansea were in such turmoil to end the season.
I don't think luck had anything to do with it. He improved our performances to a point that we were able to survive relegation. He wasn't lucky, he was competent.

You don't think it's lucky that Swansea City managed 3 points from their last 9 games? How deluded are you?
Odd that you would think luck played any part in that at all. Hughes improved our points per game ratio and it was enough to keep us up. He did a good job and I'm glad he was appointed and he should now be given a chance to see what he can do. There's thus far been zero indication that we would actually do worse this season than the abysmal performances last year and the fact you think we will actually do worse can only really be based on your harsh opinion of Hughes rather than anything he has actually done whilst here.

No sign of any recent player links then...

I've only just noticed a link to Filip Kostic, but seems he's more likely to go to Wolfsburg. I hadn't seen us linked with him before, but somebody's probably already mentioned it.

Odd that you would think luck played any part in that at all. Hughes improved our points per game ratio and it was enough to keep us up. He did a good job and I'm glad he was appointed and he should now be given a chance to see what he can do. There's thus far been zero indication that we would actually do worse this season than the abysmal performances last year and the fact you think we will actually do worse can only really be based on your harsh opinion of Hughes rather than anything he has actually done whilst here.

You could argue that it was lucky that Swansea's points per game collapsed at the same time as ours perked up? If they'd kept their post new manager/new year bounce going one game longer we'd have been toast.

You could argue that it was lucky that Swansea's points per game collapsed at the same time as ours perked up? If they'd kept their post new manager/new year bounce going one game longer we'd have been toast.

Or.....if we hadn't undeservedly lost in injury time at Arsenal, or conceded a controversial 97th minute Everton equaliser at Goodison, or a 94th minute Man city winner at St Mary's, as well as a poor 8 minute spell where we threw away a 2 goal lead against Chelsea then you could say Hughesy was unlucky.

He came in to do a job and keep us up, turn round a disjointed team and bar a few brief moments of madness his record would have had a fairer reflection of what he'd achieved.

Exactly. To call something positive "lucky" means you have to refer to everything negative that happened as "unlucky" which is nonsensical. You could just as easily say we were unlucky against Everton otherwise we would have stayed up comfortably.

Or.....if we hadn't undeservedly lost in injury time at Arsenal, or conceded a controversial 97th minute Everton equaliser at Goodison, or a 94th minute Man city winner at St Mary's, as well as a poor 8 minute spell where we threw away a 2 goal lead against Chelsea then you could say Hughesy was unlucky.

He came in to do a job and keep us up, turn round a disjointed team and bar a few brief moments of madness his record would have had a fairer reflection of what he'd achieved.

Why is that luck? What exactly are you claiming "luck" to be? Does it manifest in reality in a detectable way?

Because it was something that was out of the ordinary, which we had no control over (apart from the game between the two teams) and it resulted in us staying up. Statistically, how many relegated teams have got 3 or less points from their last 9 games? If you want to prove the absence of luck then fine, how about a statistical anomaly?

Why is that luck? What exactly are you claiming "luck" to be? Does it manifest in reality in a detectable way?

Depends upon how you interpret quantum theory, really. I mean, if each action could possibly spring a new universe into being with equal probability, then the version of your consciousness that exists in the universe where Southampton win the league every year is probably pretty lucky in comparison to those versions of you that exist reading this message.

Chelsea pay higher.

They could subsidise, if it were to be a loan move though.

Why would they want to do that then ? PSG are going to make a big pitch for Kante, don't know if they'll be successful, probably not but they'll need to keep Drinkwater around for the time being.

Tenuous, random and based on nothing. But actually spot on. What we need before the window closes is a rampaging, bums-off-seats CF. Hard to find, but we struck gold with Rickie and Graziano. Hopefully we can do it again.

Hopefully will hear some more serious attacking links soon.

We are still very much short in this area of the pitch with basically two selectable strikers and two genuine attacking wide players.

Not enough quality to scare PL sides.

If we can sell Lemina for a good fee and get a replacement + a striker in, think that would've been a good window IMO.

Providing we get the replacement and striker agreed before letting Lemina depart. Otherwise we lose one of our most creative threats whilst leaving Les & Ross to scurry around finding/securing the deals over the next two weeks.