Burnley Build up

Dazza82

For me, it’s not that every player they are signing is awful but there are differences between decent players on paper, an environment that gets the best out of them and also a balanced squad of qualities. We’ve addressed the issue in the air at the back but not mobility. We’ve not added the express pace needed that would get more out of Gabbiadini’s movement or help serve Austin. In terms of the team, they have needed to be a lot fitter and I’m still not sure they are. If you can’t have consistent PL quality across the squad, you have to be fitter and hungerier than similar sized clubs that do. The reason we shipped so many late goals last season was lack of fitness, stamina and conditioning. Judging by certain players opting out of this preseason, I don’t see this aspect changing.

Which is what we had with Pochettino, about who Jack Cork (I think) said when Our Nige was replaced “to survive Pochettinos training sessions, you need 2 hearts!”, Poch had them on double training sessions when he took over. The other one before that was Strachan, once he got going with us we did well because we were super fit across the team, we could have been under the cosh for 80 minutes against better, on paper, teams but looked like we were just warming up for the final 10. Players moaned about his training regime especially the trip to Scotland to run on the sandy beaches and dunes, last place player in the races was thrown into the cold North Sea, the player to stay on the shoulder of to avoid a dunking was Paul Telfer. Think it was CMFG who thought the forfeit was a joke at first: until he went for a swim. He was certainly one to benefit from the fitness regime.

After a trouncing away at Hull 4-1 when WGS had gone, Redknapp was asked post match about the fitness of the team by Radio Solent. He claimed the “boys were super fit athletes”, anyone who watched and paid attention could see the fitness level had dropped, under Strachan the team looked good to play 120 minutes, under Redknapp we had an 80 minute team.........anyone who went to that 2-2 Middlesbrough game when we were 2-0 up and comfortable couldn’t fail to see that.

Which is what we had with Pochettino, about who Jack Cork (I think) said when Our Nige was replaced “to survive Pochettinos training sessions, you need 2 hearts!”, Poch had them on double training sessions when he took over. The other one before that was Strachan, once he got going with us we did well because we were super fit across the team, we could have been under the cosh for 80 minutes against better, on paper, teams but looked like we were just warming up for the final 10. Players moaned about his training regime especially the trip to Scotland to run on the sandy beaches and dunes, last place player in the races was thrown into the cold North Sea, the player to stay on the shoulder of to avoid a dunking was Paul Telfer. Think it was CMFG who thought the forfeit was a joke at first: until he went for a swim. He was certainly one to benefit from the fitness regime.

After a trouncing away at Hull 4-1 when WGS had gone, Redknapp was asked post match about the fitness of the team by Radio Solent. He claimed the “boys were super fit athletes”, anyone who watched and paid attention could see the fitness level had dropped, under Strachan the team looked good to play 120 minutes, under Redknapp we had an 80 minute team.........anyone who went to that 2-2 Middlesbrough game when we were 2-0 up and comfortable couldn’t fail to see that.

That Boro game was 3 days after Redknapp took over. Not sure what he must have done in those 3 days to make them that unfit that quickly.

This is a very good point. Many of our players only looked good for 70 minutes of football last season. Any more than that and they were out of it. As for hangng on for a result with 6 minutes of added time to go, no chance. One of the problems at the club seems to be laziness from top to bottom. The signing of Carrillo in January was a sign of this malaise. He was an easy signing to make and that's been the case with many other of our recent signings: nobody else wanted them. We've also signed a lot of players who had not played 90 minutes regularly in the years before we bought them. I know Cortese divided opinion but he was full of energy and didn't tolerate laziness at the club. The same, of course, applied to Pochettino. Hard work brings rewards, laziness doesn't.

That Boro game was 3 days after Redknapp took over. Not sure what he must have done in those 3 days to make them that unfit that quickly.

It was quite some time after WGS had left though, with Sturrock and Wigley having done plenty of damage in between.

It was quite some time after WGS had left though, with Sturrock and Wigley having done plenty of damage in between.

That probably has a lot more to do with it. I don't like Redknapp any more than any other Saints fan but to blame players fitness on him, 3 days after he was appointed, isn't really accurate.

There was a general decline in our team throughout the whole of 2004. It started with WGS, losing to Fulham on Boxing day and continued all the way through Sturrock, Wigley and Redknapp. I think we won 7 league games all year.

That probably has a lot more to do with it. I don't like Redknapp any more than any other Saints fan but to blame players fitness on him, 3 days after he was appointed, isn't really accurate.

There was a general decline in our team throughout the whole of 2004. It started with WGS, losing to Fulham on Boxing day and continued all the way through Sturrock, Wigley and Redknapp. I think we won 7 league games all year.

I don't think Nordic was specifically blaming it on Redknapp to be fair though. I read it as "By the time Redknapp took over" we had an 80 minute team.

Burnley have just signed Joe Hart so let's hope he's playing this weekend.

He used to be the best goalkeeper in in the country and his 70 caps testify to that. He's still only 31 so it wouldn't surprise me if Billy Mercer got him back to his best at Burnley. I remember when people laughed at Pompey signing 'Calamity' James. He was brilliant for them and it was his goalkeeping which was largely responsible for them winning the FA Cup.

It will be interesting to compare Ben Gibson and Jannik Vestergaard, although both Saints and Burnley lack goal scorers so it should be one of the easiest games of the season for both of them. A truer test for them both will be when they have to face teams with good forwards.

Lamina was awful against Derby. He had to play against Moenchengladbach because he was missing in between. He was awful again, tried time after time to beat multiple opponents adept at pressing in numbers and virtually every time lost possession. As he had more possession than anyone else we hardly saw the ball before Lamina lost it again. When he lost it he either didn't try and get it back, didn't press, or just spectated. That is out of order and he needs a kick up the backside or get rid of him, he is a bad example.It would be a travesty and stupidity to even consider him against Burnley or anyone else for that matter playing that way.

Talking of fitness, can anyone comment (Monk maybe?) on why certain players are wearing fitness monitoring equipment and others aren't. From a glance through the training pics it looks like the ones that do are Lemina, Yoshi, Gabbi, Mo, Long, Davis and Sims, Cedric definitely not, and I'm not sure I can discern any particular pattern..

Talking of fitness, can anyone comment (Monk maybe?) on why certain players are wearing fitness monitoring equipment and others aren't. From a glance through the training pics it looks like the ones that do are Lemina, Yoshi, Gabbi, Mo, Long, Davis and Sims, Cedric definitely not, and I'm not sure I can discern any particular pattern..

They all wear them. Those that don’t have them on have them underneath their training tops, those who wear them on top I can only imagine find them an irritant and so just wear them on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All players where them. Some are just under their shirts. They all had them on under their shirts in pre season games too.

I agree wholeheartedly John Boy. And didn't Strachan boast he played most of the season with a first team of just 16 players? That was fitness and commitment.

I obviously hope Saints win. I bumped into two ST holders in Romsey yesterday and one at golf course at Bradshaw. All three expressed deep concerns about the forthcoming season. Main worries from all three, poor striking options and the the CB’s.

Asked for a forecast, tough season ahead. My sentiments.

Hope we are all wrong.

Is Burnley's game in Istanbul being shown on tv? Can't find it listed, will be an interesting game to follow and a distraction on transfer deadline day.

Burnley must be travelling today so won't leave long to integrate new signings before the weekend. Joe Hart, Gibson and Vydra are good signings for them.

Even last season when we where total turd we where hardly blown away by Burnley. We should be able to win this its Burnley not Man city coming to SMS.

As usual with Burnley it will be us camped out in their half trying to break down a 10 man defence.

I think you are right. I believe Burnley will be fighting to stay up. Well, 10-12 sides will be doing that but you get my point.

They scored 1 more goal than stoke last season and kept it very tight. That simply will not happen this season. More so if they get through to the groups of the Europa League

However, Dyche is clearly a very decent manager..

I think you are right. I believe Burnley will be fighting to stay up. Well, 10-12 sides will be doing that but you get my point.

They scored 1 more goal than stoke last season and kept it very tight. That simply will not happen this season. More so if they get through to the groups of the Europa League

They finished 7th scoring one less goal than us which is mad. They are hard to break down though need to score first to force them to open up a bit.

Disagree. I think they will be comfortably mid-table. Have bought well, and Vydra will score against us

Even last season when we where total turd we where hardly blown away by Burnley. We should be able to win this its Burnley not Man city coming to SMS.

As usual with Burnley it will be us camped out in their half trying to break down a 10 man defence.

Somebody posted a clip of the game last season in response to my memory of Forster in that game. We actually played some good stuff, and it was just Sam Vokes getting his head to the ball and Forster in goal for us and them with a decent keeper that made the difference. It would be so nice to get an early goal, off Austin's backside even, to open them up.

Thanks for the comments on the fitness monitors. Didn't have enough posts to reply at the time. I think I'd go for outside myself - my sports bra gets very sweaty in this weather!

Disagree. I think they will be comfortably mid-table. Have bought well, and Vydra will score against us

With a small squad, I think that the Europa League matches will really stretch them to the limit and I think that they will struggle to emulate last season's success when they exceeded all expectations !

Should be good enough to stave off relegation but not much more IMHO !

So what's your opinion of Puel?

I don't think we'll be ready for Sunday, I fear we're at least a few weeks away from being ready for this season. Only hope is that Burnley are a bit leggy after the Euro game. Best hope for us is a Puel-type 0-0 job, more likely that Burnley nick it 1-0.

Some may see it as an advantage, but im worried that Burnley will have had 3 competitive Europa League games before we meet them on Sunday. We dont look anywhere near ready yet (based on friendlies) and look like a group of strangers and no spirit yet.

I think we will improve as the season gets going, but we could be hit on Sunday by a team already in their groove..... I think 2-0 or 3-0 Burnley unfortunately :(

Burnley been very Burnley so far in Turkey. Defending deep, giving up possession

Have they rested any players? Hopefully they’ll have to play a similar side on Sunday and we can take advantage

Just had a look at the Burnley forum, this is one the comments

No time for Southampton after their relegation game against us, pitch invasion, coins thrown into the away end, women and kids being led away with tears and blood flowing. Their tosser element is bigger than you’d expect. Once again, I hope they go bust.

Hughes Presser....

Was a typical last day of window, deal drifted away previously then came back to us

we thought that it would not get done but all fell into place and we are delighted

very pleased with our window, we have strengthened every area of the pitch

Ings is on loan initially, it was why the negotiation took so long

both clubs had to be comfortable with the deal, win/win for both clubs

Danny wanted to come here and he has a point to prove

as manager, kept away from the mechanics of signing a player

I have the final say on players that get presented and it has worked very well this window

I have to give the final nod and every player presented were good enough to play for us

met Danny last night, the staff were in for meetings, including Mr Gao. Danny met everyone

Danny said from the off that he feels part of this club and really wanted to join

Danny is fit and available to play. we will see how he trains. He has had a good pre season already

We had to improve goal scoring. We have brought in Armstrong, Mo is going to be a real talent

Ings will complement what we have

we are in a better position now, definitely

Now the window is shut, all clubs know pretty much what they have. Obviously, there will be some outgoings on loan perhaps.

2-3 weeks of nonsense has now gone

Cedric has been back since monday. He was ill last week.

He is fit, played at the world cup, he will play we feel if he is ready and he is honest about his recovery

everyone else is fully fit and ready to play

there we go.

Edited by Batman