Wes Hoedt - Loaned to Antwerp: Official

Cabbage_Face

Will Ross learn from his mistakes or is he just someone who is not very good at spotting talented footballers, unsuited to the job he is in? With the money spent on players like Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina and Elyounoussi, we could have built a decent top 8 team like we did when Paul Mitchell was doing the recruiting.

Recall him, and the first XI could be:

Forster

Cedric Stephens Hoedt McQueen

Elyounoussi Clasie Reed Hesketh

Carillo Gallagher

Europe here we come.

Bit unfair to lump half of that team with the other half. If young players don't quite make it to the standard we require then that's unfortunate but it isn't their fault and nor is it the fault of Les Reed/Ross Wilson. Maybe that's not the point you're trying to make, but that's how I interpreted it - basically saying "look how many crap players we have in our squad".

• 2 weeks later...
Both leaving Southampton on loan to Celta Vigo this season to find some more game time, Wesley Hoedt and Sofiane Boufal will be returning to St Mary’s in different circumstances.

The Dutch defender impressed early on in his spell, fell out of favour towards the end of the campaign, making just two appearances in the last eight games ever since Fran Escriba took over in early March.

AS are the ones reporting the news of the pair’s return to Southampton, where Hoedt is unlikely to receive a warm welcome from Ralph Hassenüttl, who didn’t find a spot for him in his team.

Boufal, on the other hand, is expected to be a part of the Austrian’s team in preseason, according to El Desmarque, having been sent to Celta Vigo by Mark Hughes prior to the former RB Leipzig manager’s arrival.

Hoedt only managed 10 appearances over the course of the second half of the season, a stark contrast to Boufal, who featured 35 times in La Liga, scoring three goals and assisting teammates four times.

The Morocco international was also the player who attempted and completed the most dribbles in Spain’s first division during the 2018-19 campaign.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-pair-set-return-st-marys-two-different-welcomes-expected/

Or maybe another way of looking at things (and grasping a bit here!!) is that Ralph didn't have time mid way through a **** season to coach Hoedt in the way he wants him to play, but given a full pre-season.......!!

Or maybe another way of looking at things (and grasping a bit here!!) is that Ralph didn't have time mid way through a **** season to coach Hoedt in the way he wants him to play, but given a full pre-season.......!!

I am speculating here of course but the fact that he went on loan was that it was him that did not embrace Ralph's new way.

Hoedt is trash, ralph knows this. We will have all sort of issues off loading him in the summer.

He has zero potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who do you think chose Hoedt and Elyounoussi and will the same person choose which players we buy this summer? Was it Les Reed's protégé, Ross Wilson? These are key questions for the club's immediate future.

• 3 months later...

Kristof Terreur on Twitter:

Steven Defour has arrived at Antwerp this morning for his medicals. Meanwhile Antwerp are also trying to sign Dutch defender Wesley Hoedt from Southampton: loan with option. Would be the third PL player after Mirallas and Defour. #rafc #saintsfc #twitterclarets

God, in all the excitement, forgot about him!! What a complete and utter mess it has been these past few years.

Forster, Ely, Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina is what, best part of £80m? It was almost £100m if Boufal hadn't been brought back in. Could have got 2 or 3 (potentially!!) really good players in for that, which would make a huge difference to us.

God, in all the excitement, forgot about him!! What a complete and utter mess it has been these past few years.

Forster, Ely, Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina is what, best part of £80m? It was almost £100m if Boufal hadn't been brought back in. Could have got 2 or 3 (potentially!!) really good players in for that, which would make a huge difference to us.

Appalling waste of money, should have gone on genuine PL quality at CB, CM and CF, would be a very different picture for Ralph. Why Gao and Kreuger allowed that mad fool to carry on beyond January 2018 and buy Carillo and desperately hang onto a clearly unwell Pellegrino is astonishing and they bear a big part of the responsibility for not sacking Les and allowing him to go on and squander more money in that summer. In fact, really Les needed to go after the January 2017 CB transfer window debacle which let Puel down (whatever his failings) and then the crazy Forster extension which should have been automatically vetoed by any board with an ounce of sporting acumen. Hoedt was a product of the summer 2017 window which brought him and Lemina, who is a further enormous waste of money going out later today as well.

At least on that one Gala will probably past most of the wages. If Hoedt is on say £60k a week, we won't see much of that from Antwerp, even though they have a bit of backing these days.

People from the club then have the nerve to say that it's not their fault that the best manager since Koeman has his hands tied - you kept Les employed. Your choice. Bring investors in, or sell up if you can't afford to repair the damage.

Appalling waste of money, should have gone on genuine PL quality at CB, CM and CF, would be a very different picture for Ralph. Why Gao and Kreuger allowed that mad fool to carry on beyond January 2018 and buy Carillo and desperately hang onto a clearly unwell Pellegrino is astonishing and they bear a big part of the responsibility for not sacking Les and allowing him to go on and squander more money in that summer. In fact, really Les needed to go after the January 2017 CB transfer window debacle which let Puel down (whatever his failings) and then the crazy Forster extension which should have been automatically vetoed by any board with an ounce of sporting acumen. Hoedt was a product of the summer 2017 window which brought him and Lemina, who is a further enormous waste of money going out later today as well.

At least on that one Gala will probably past most of the wages. If Hoedt is on say £60k a week, we won't see much of that from Antwerp, even though they have a bit of backing these days.

People from the club then have the nerve to say that it's not their fault that the best manager since Koeman has his hands tied - you kept Les employed. Your choice. Bring investors in, or sell up if you can't afford to repair the damage.

I recall all the Les men who backed him to the hilt on here!!! To think he has a top job a the FA!!. All the VVD money has been wasted, a similar situation as Spurs when they sold Bale. How much Ross Wilson has at his door is hard to quantify but I hope his judgement is a lot better

Hoedt got 6 caps for Netherlands, so the potential for him to do well was possibly there. It didn't work out. A bit like Lemina as well, and I think we can agree that on his day, he's damn good, but his day is fleeting. Mo and Carrillo were different. Forster was different again.

At our level, all transfers are going to be risky. If you spend £40-50m+ then you are more certain of what you will get, but even then there is no guarantee. But to have so many that don't cut the mustard over such a short period of time......!! Maybe there was a certain arrogance involved, in that past signings were great and that there was no reason to think future ones would be any different. Certainly the black box seems to have been pretty bad and there seems less talk about it now a days.

Hoedt got 6 caps for Netherlands, so the potential for him to do well was possibly there. It didn't work out. A bit like Lemina as well, and I think we can agree that on his day, he's damn good, but his day is fleeting. Mo and Carrillo were different. Forster was different again.

At our level, all transfers are going to be risky. If you spend £40-50m+ then you are more certain of what you will get, but even then there is no guarantee. But to have so many that don't cut the mustard over such a short period of time......!! Maybe there was a certain arrogance involved, in that past signings were great and that there was no reason to think future ones would be any different. Certainly the black box seems to have been pretty bad and there seems less talk about it now a days.

yes, some players just don’t come off at certain clubs. I think that’s the case to a certain degree with Lemina and Hoedt although not totally. On paper they should have been good signings but for one reason or another that hasn’t happened.

The two dreadful signings have been Carillo and Moi. I struggle to see anything in either that suggests they were good enough for the Prem

Loving the hindsight on here. When we signed him he was well thought of and a dutch international. Sure, his signing hasn't been a success, but he's not in the Carillo category of it being obvious that it wouldn't have worked.

Loving the hindsight on here. When we signed him he was well thought of and a dutch international. Sure, his signing hasn't been a success, but he's not in the Carillo category of it being obvious that it wouldn't have worked.

Yep. The likes of Hoedt, Clasie and even Elyounoussi are ones which were the right type of signing but make you question the competence of those making the assessment.

Carrillo and giving Forster a new contract were both decisions which were met instantly with a mixture of disbelief and concern from nearly everyone, that’s why they stand out as the worst decisions.

Has anyone said otherwise? I'm not going through the whole thread, but what I've seen and also posted, this is exactly what is being said.

yes, some players just don’t come off at certain clubs. I think that’s the case to a certain degree with Lemina and Hoedt although not totally. On paper they should have been good signings but for one reason or another that hasn’t happened.

The two dreadful signings have been Carillo and Moi. I struggle to see anything in either that suggests they were good enough for the Prem

I think where we went wrong was with our wage structure- had Carrillo/Elyounoussi been on even just 1/2 of what their wages are now then we wouldn’t be in such a mess.

If said players don’t want to come here as a result of us giving them a low starting wage then screw them- plus it is not like £35/£40k a week is low anyway, compared to the £70-90k that some of these are on

Only Lemina to go then. There isn't any part of me that thinks we're getting these players off our wage bill entirely, but even if they go on 50% of their wages then we're saving over £100k a week. That's one or two decent signings in january if we find the right deals.

I would have thought there's no chance we're getting near 50% of their wages paid.

What's Hoedt on? £50k a week? I doubt Antwerp pay anyone more than £10k a week.

I would have thought there's no chance we're getting near 50% of their wages paid.

What's Hoedt on? £50k a week? I doubt Antwerp pay anyone more than £10k a week.

Fair enough, but you'd still imagine that combined we've saved enough to at least make one signing if needs be.

(I'm well aware that they'll be back next summer and their wages will be paid in full from then, but we'll have more chance of selling them with a year less on their contracts and a year playing for teams in various places).

Fair enough, but you'd still imagine that combined we've saved enough to at least make one signing if needs be.

(I'm well aware that they'll be back next summer and their wages will be paid in full from then, but we'll have more chance of selling them with a year less on their contracts and a year playing for teams in various places).

Hopefully! We're woefully short in central midfield and still pretty weak at the back.