EFL Cup Final Ticket Thread.

rickylambert

Rich, the idiot thinks the only measure of support is money. He also appears to believe the north is very small and every game is just 30 miles away.

Only an utter moron believes not using away games has been fair and the membership scheme has shown up to be a farce.

I'm sorted for tickets but not taking away games into consideration and flogging membership as they have is plain wrong.

The idiot is the one who thinks they should get preferential treatment as they go to another business where they spend their money. I assume you are naive enough to think that as you have been to the odd game it puts you in front of others who also go to games, even though you spent the money improving other clubs squads not ours

Just sent a long email to the club about the poor distribution criteria (not including the EFL aways or any aways and allowing people to purchase memberships after the semis) and got the following reply:

Thank you for your email.

One of the benefits of Official Membership has always been priority access to ticket purchases, and therefore it still has benefit for a variety of home and away matches remaining for this season.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we have read your comments and will take your feedback on board.

See you at Wembley!

Seems like a pre-written response and doesn't even address most of the stuff I bought up, not really happy with that.

Anyone else had a reply?

The idiot is the one who thinks they should get preferential treatment as they go to another business where they spend their money. I assume you are naive enough to think that as you have been to the odd game it puts you in front of others who also go to games, even though you spent the money improving other clubs squads not ours

As I said, an utter idiot.

What this whole episode proves is that it isn't worth paying for a membership at the start of the season because of the minimal benefits. It is better to buy one when it suits you in terms of what tickets you really want to purchase. By also allowing membership to be bought at any stage of the season, and whenever we edge closer to a final, it also proves that it is worth paying for match tickets even if you have no plans whatsoever to actually attend the game(s).

Do you understand how purchasing away tickets works...

The away club will buy x amount of tickets from the home team... If the away club do not sell x amount of said tickets, then they lose the money that they paid for them.

In some case (rarely, generally only the big teams) the away club can send the unused tickets back (assuming the home team have capability to re sell those tickets).

To say you're only helping other clubs by purchasing away tickets is ridiculous as if we don't buy them, then saints lose out on unsold tickets....

The away club will buy x amount of tickets from the home team... If the away club do not sell x amount of said tickets, then they lose the money that they paid for them.

In some case (rarely, generally only the big teams) the away club can send the unused tickets back (assuming the home team have capability to re sell those tickets).

To say you're only helping other clubs by purchasing away tickets is ridiculous as if we don't buy them, then saints lose out on unsold tickets....

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I'm sure the minimum allocation must be provided on a sale-or-return basis. It would just be unfair otherwise. That's why we often only take the minimum - so that there isn't a financial risk.

Edited by benjii

What about those that went to Israel?

Haha!

Well, I do commend their effort ;) Actually, I did think about you and feel guilty when I wrote that. There will never be a perfect system.

I think that match should certainly count for priority for European aways but I'm not sure it should be treated that importantly in the context of a domestic cup final. I think most people accept that for a cup final it will be season tickets first, then whatever's left on a descending scale based on number of matches attended, rather than number of obscure matches attended. Where the club has arguably been unfair here is in excluding away matches from that calculation.

Your situation is probably pretty unique, unfortunately! Are you heading over? Surely for the cost of flights it's worth trying to get a ticket through "secondary" channels? The marginal additional cost, all things considered, shouldn't be that high?

Haha!

Well, I do commend their effort ;) Actually, I did think about you and feel guilty when I wrote that. There will never be a perfect system.

I think that match should certainly count for priority for European aways but I'm not sure it should be treated that importantly in the context of a domestic cup final. I think most people accept that for a cup final it will be season tickets first, then whatever's left on a descending scale based on number of matches attended, rather than number of obscure matches attended. Where the club has arguably been unfair here is in excluding away matches from that calculation.

Your situation is probably pretty unique, unfortunately! Are you heading over? Surely for the cost of flights it's worth trying to get a ticket through "secondary" channels? The marginal additional cost, all things considered, shouldn't be that high?

I agree there is no perfect system. I asked them what they thought likelihood of it getting to members with two homes and they thought it unlikely and advised against buying flights. I have looked at buying from secondary websites but haven't yet. If I can get a ticket from the club, i will and pay through the nose for flights! They didn't take me up on the suggestion of some priority for the 200 or so that went to Israel!

I agree there is no perfect system. I asked them what they thought likelihood of it getting to members with two homes and they thought it unlikely and advised against buying flights. I have looked at buying from secondary websites but haven't yet. If I can get a ticket from the club, i will and pay through the nose for flights! They didn't take me up on the suggestion of some priority for the 200 or so that went to Israel!

I hope something works out for you!

Southampton FC is a business, as are all football clubs, if they can peddle out memberships halfway through the season, at full price, obviously they will.

that might be true, but no reason why fans should just roll over and accept being treated poorly.

I do not think that is exactly how it works. As I understand it the club usually gets to choose the allocation size they require from two or three options. The smallest allocation will be on a sale or return basis. Only if a larger allocation size is requested does the club have to commit to paying for that allocation, no matter if they sell all of the seats or not.

So at Liverpool for example the initial allocation is usually about 1600 ish. You'd get those on a sale or return basis. If you wanted the 2500 allocation, any unsold seats would have to be paid for. Having been burned in the past, notably at Spurs many moons ago, the club tends to play it very safe - which makes sense.

Allocate points on how far the registered postal address is from the game that is attended could be one way of going about it but no doubt people would exploit it somehow

its simple:

Get rid of membership. Paid queue jumping is bull****.

Season ticket holders get priority. They pay up front, get little or no discount these days, yet risk losing out if they can't get to a game. So it make sense they get first dibs.

Then after that, the priority goes to the those attending the most games including home and away during the season.

Every season you start a fresh.

Over complicating things with miles, specific cups, home, away...pointless.

While I am at it, lets have £20 a ticket. Get rid of booking fees. Safe standing. Faster beer service. Improved kit design. Saturday 3pm kick offs...

its simple:

Season ticket holders get priority. They pay up front, get little or no discount these days, yet risk losing out if they can't get to a game. So it make sense they get first dibs.

Then after that, the priority goes to the those attending the most games including home and away during the season.

While I am at it, lets have £20 a ticket. Get rid of booking fees. Safe standing. Faster beer service. Improved kit design. Saturday 3pm kick offs...

Dover are at home tomorrow v Wrexham, it's £15, there's no booking fee, it's (fairly) safe standing, the beer service (has never been) quick, the kit's OK, it's 3pm kick off on a Saturday, ...........see you there? ;)

The view's really not bad at all. Obviously you can't pick up on the nitty gritty but you'll be able to follow who's who no problem, so long as your general eyesight is alright.

Cheers. I managed Newcastle last year, Man U and San Siro this, and have visited Wembley but in a lower tier. Will defintelty be taking my distance glasses..

Should have implemented the points system they advertised when they switched to the swipe card.

Points for home and away fixtures based on popularity and points counted across a rolling 3 year period.

Clear, easy and loads of other clubs do it.

I suggest you message the club and tell them what a super fan you are as you go to all the local games, ok they are nowhere near SMS . You will get prime seats without doubt

To be fair I've read your posts on the matter and have concluded you are a muppet. The club regularly post thanks for your fantastic support when we've sold out another allocation and we've taken big numbers away this season including in the cup 5600 to Arsenal and 3600 to Liverpool supporting us on the way to Wembley, they clearly deserve something.

On the subject of membership's I believe the way to keep them relevant and worth having is to follow some other clubs by making ticket prices cheaper for members (say £2.50 per game less than non-members) therefore fans who become members at the start of the season earn back the cost of their membership the more games they go to. Sells more memberships and gives them a price incentive to go to more games.

As if milking it with Wembley and memberships wasn't enough!

Competition for kids to win the chance to be Wembley mascot now running "Not already a Junior Official Member? Sign up for just £15 today at tickets.saintsfc.co.uk and then enter our competition for this once-in-a-lifetime experience."

To be fair I've read your posts on the matter and have concluded you are a muppet. The club regularly post thanks for your fantastic support when we've sold out another allocation and we've taken big numbers away this season including in the cup 5600 to Arsenal and 3600 to Liverpool supporting us on the way to Wembley, they clearly deserve something.

On the subject of membership's I believe the way to keep them relevant and worth having is to follow some other clubs by making ticket prices cheaper for members (say £2.50 per game less than non-members) therefore fans who become members at the start of the season earn back the cost of their membership the more games they go to. Sells more memberships and gives them a price incentive to go to more games.

well perhaps you should donate your ticket to one of our fans based up north who do the away games, you obviously believe they deserve more than somebody who goes to home games.....I thought not

its simple:

A almost very good wishlist you should be applauded but i just cant support Saturday 3pm kick offs, THATS JUST PURE MADNESS

well perhaps you should donate your ticket to one of our fans based up north who do the away games, you obviously believe they deserve more than somebody who goes to home games.....I thought not

You do realise the majority of those people who went to Liverpool, including some you've had a go at, have tickets right?

I do the large majority of away games, Europe included (managed all 3 this season) and from a personal perspective I think those that make the effort to go away full well deserve a good choice.

Because, whether you WANT to believe it or not, it's the same faces, week in week out, at most games. And it has been since league one. Away fans are our hardcore support, always have and will be, and when things go to sh*t again as I'm sure they will at some point, they'll still be there traipsing round the country.

What you shouldn't do is make the mistake of thinking that's easy.

I was born, raised and lived most of my life in Southampton. Moved away and am fortunate enough to still be able to make it back and have a season ticket. I'll tell you something for nothing. Making a home game when you live there is a piece of ****. Making aways from anywhere takes commitment.

Mind you the fact I have to explain that baffles me to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realise the majority of those people who went to Liverpool, including some you've had a go at, have tickets right?

I do the large majority of away games, Europe included (managed all 3 this season) and from a personal perspective I think those that make the effort to go away full well deserve a good choice.

Because, whether you WANT to believe it or not, it's the same faces, week in week out, at most games. And it has been since league one. Away fans are our hardcore support, always have and will be, and when things go to sh*t again as I'm sure they will at some point, they'll still be there traipsing round the country.

I was born, raised and lived most of my life in Southampton. Moved away and am fortunate enough to still be able to make it back and have a season ticket. I'll tell you something for nothing. Making a home game when you live there is a piece of ****. Making aways from anywhere takes commitment.

This.

Find it astounding that someone from my group who went to Israel (as well as the other 2 European aways + 2 or 3 domestic aways) is likely miss out as they are at uni out of southampton and struggle to make it home every other weekend. A season ticket holder for many years before this however...

Completely understand ST holders getting the nod before members etc... but to completely exclude away games is farcical.

For me only way that is fair for everyone is to have a points based system, where you get x points for ST purchase and then home + away games are also worth points..I.e away 2 3 European away home 12early stages of cups. As much as people may not like it, it takes a lot more commitment to travel & watch your team away from home every week.

This.

Find it astounding that someone from my group who went to Israel (as well as the other 2 European aways + 2 or 3 domestic aways) is likely miss out as they are at uni out of southampton and struggle to make it home every other weekend. A season ticket holder for many years before this however...

Completely understand ST holders getting the nod before members etc... but to completely exclude away games is farcical.

For me only way that is fair for everyone is to have a points based system, where you get x points for ST purchase and then home + away games are also worth points..I.e away 2 3 European away home 12early stages of cups. As much as people may not like it, it takes a lot more commitment to travel & watch your team away from home every week.

But the club doesn't make money from your travel expenditures

Allocate points on how far the registered postal address is from the game that is attended could be one way of going about it but no doubt people would exploit it somehow

Seeing as I am a season ticket holder who travels 310 miles round trip to every home game then I will be at the front of the queue.

The only thing that is wrong is the way they have allowed this instant membership jump the queue farce. They could possibly of shown more recognition to away followers before members with a handful of games

Poor poor system.

Should definitely be ST holders first, then members/ people with customer numbers based on number of home and always.

Still... all this debate and it looks as though members who have been to 3/4 will get a ticket.

Therefore I think the vast majority of fans ( who have 'supported' the club this season) who want to go will get one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

what is ridiculous is you mate can travel round the country and all over Europe but can't manage to visit SMS 4 times this season. that's all your need , maybe less to qualify for a Wembley ticket.

there's a lot of whinning from people who are prepared to travel miles every other week but can't fit in a few home games

what is ridiculous is you mate can travel round the country and all over Europe but can't manage to visit SMS 4 times this season. that's all your need , maybe less to qualify for a Wembley ticket.

there's a lot of whinning from people who are prepared to travel miles every other week but can't fit in a few home games

Have you looked at a map? Noticed how Southampton is all the way down one end of the country? Like, *all* the way? It's entirely understandable that someone who lives in the North might manage to go to a large number of away matches without having made the *significantly* longer trip to St Mary's. If you're in Yorkshire for example, a good half of the away matches in a season are realistically achievable without wiping out your entire day in the process. Southampton is not, certainly on a regular basis.

Regardless, the whole thing smacks of 'all supporters are equal, but some are more equal than others'. The way the eligibility has been calculated for major matches this season has been unnecessarily beauracratic, ultimately to no effect. Look at the debacle of Inter away, where we had significant numbers of fans shelling out for flights and hotels without actually knowing whether they'd get a ticket or not? The club trotted out this stupidly complicated tiered process and in the end we gave tickets back because we couldn't sell them - at least partly due to the fact that for some, it was so late in the day by the time they were eligible that the trip became unaffordable.

And yes, I was one of those at the San Siro. And no, apparently I'm not a good enough fan to see my club at the cup final. If it ends up as anything but a complete sell out, the club should be ashamed of itself. Ultimately, their priority should be to get as many supporters there as possible - not to shill as many pointless memberships as they can.

As long as you pay the £26 ticket tax of course.

the fans you talk about have tickets for the final, I didnt think I would have to explain that to you. The fans I'm talking about are the ones who haven't a ticket and believe they are entitled just because they live up north, go to game close to them and believe they deserve more than fans like me. and expect the club to push them up the list,I have also have travelled over 100miles to games.Those fantastic committed fans who go week in week out will have a ticket, rightly so

Started in a 20 mins queue at 9am this morning. The site was shut 10 seconds earlier (as I refreshed the window) so not sure how they go from "shut" to "20 min queue" in the space of 10 seconds!

If you don't refresh the page (as I think it advises) you get put in the queue automatically when they open the site. So you ended up in a queue with all the people who didn't refresh because their page automatically refreshed when the site went online.