Nathan Redmond

Dusic

That's a joke. Both should be in that squad. Tell me how Delph, Gomez (whose hardly played to be fair cos of injury) and Lingard just walk into the squad. Well at least both will have proper rest time now before preseason :)

Only they won't because they're staying with the squad over the tournament.

Certainly feels like a decision based on the club their represent when you look at the dross that did make the cut.

To be fair though I’d rather they had a restful end of season break and come back stronger for us that waste their time in some meaningless internationals.

Redmond & JWP both miss out on the Nation's League final squad (with Winks & Trippier)... :-/

Bit brave naming the squad before the 2 European finals been played, If I was Jwp and Redmond I'd now be jetting off on holiday and turning my phone off !

Do people really think that jwp and Redmond are that good? To me it feels more like they are quite average players who have stood out in a very poor saints squad.

We didn't really rate either that highly when we had decent players around. They've both generally been criticised in the past.

Do people really think that jwp and Redmond are that good? To me it feels more like they are quite average players who have stood out in a very poor saints squad.

We didn't really rate either that highly when we had decent players around. They've both generally been criticised in the past.

They're better than some that are in the squad that's all that matters !

you may not have, but there are some who could see the quality was there.

Southgate talks a good game about form etc but he is only going to do what all previous England mangers have done and gone with the easy choice.

Imagine the furore if he dropped a Man Utd favourite for Redmond, the press would tear him to bits.

Delph, Barkley and Dier, I think you could make an argument JWP should be ahead of them, Barkley had a meh season and was in and out of the team, Delph has barely played and Dier I think has never looked very good for England, seems very slow and ponderous on the ball when in midfield and strikes me more as a centre back, not a good CM.

Lingaard as well in and out of that Utd team, injury issues, is probably lucky.

England really lack quality in centre-mid, so I think JWP if he keeps up his form under Ralph could get in there, because to be honest none of them are that good, Henderson seems to be having some sort of renaissance but again is another player who looks poor for England for me.

Redmond more understandable, I mean for those wide attacking positions Sancho and Sterling are nailed on after the seasons they have had, Rashford can also play there and be a striker option so hard to see him getting a look in.

I feel Southgate is going for the same players that did well in the nations league before and wants them to have a chance in the finals, be interesting to see how he goes about the qualifiers.

Delph, Barkley and Dier, I think you could make an argument JWP should be ahead of them, Barkley had a meh season and was in and out of the team, Delph has barely played and Dier I think has never looked very good for England, seems very slow and ponderous on the ball when in midfield and strikes me more as a centre back, not a good CM.

Lingaard as well in and out of that Utd team, injury issues, is probably lucky.

England really lack quality in centre-mid, so I think JWP if he keeps up his form under Ralph could get in there, because to be honest none of them are that good, Henderson seems to be having some sort of renaissance but again is another player who looks poor for England for me.

Redmond more understandable, I mean for those wide attacking positions Sancho and Sterling are nailed on after the seasons they have had, Rashford can also play there and be a striker option so hard to see him getting a look in.

I feel Southgate is going for the same players that did well in the nations league before and wants them to have a chance in the finals, be interesting to see how he goes about the qualifiers.

Lingaard has done when when playing for england though so deserves to be there really i agree. I think they see delph, berkley and dier as part of the core squad (almost like central contracted cricketers) so its hard to break in to that group - JWP has a strong argument for being there but needs to continue his form in to next season really to push one out of their place

you may not have, but there are some who could see the quality was there.

Southgate talks a good game about form etc but he is only going to do what all previous England mangers have done and gone with the easy choice.

Imagine the furore if he dropped a Man Utd favourite for Redmond, the press would tear him to bits.

Pretty certain that Southgate commented on one of the times that JWP had been called up, that having known and played JWP at youth level he liked him and knew what he could bring to the game and that he had sometimes been accused of being his Father, or words to that effect. So we have gone from a raft of England managers who have picked the team based on the name on the back of the shirt, then the badge on the front, to an England manager who is conscious that he might be called out for showing favouritism towards a less fashionable player who he knows how to get the best out of and can do the job he asks of him.

Makes you wonder if the England manager selects the squad, then submits it to the marketing team for editing and rubber stamping. to like you say appease the press.

Pretty certain that Southgate commented on one of the times that JWP had been called up, that having known and played JWP at youth level he liked him and knew what he could bring to the game and that he had sometimes been accused of being his Father, or words to that effect. So we have gone from a raft of England managers who have picked the team based on the name on the back of the shirt, then the badge on the front, to an England manager who is conscious that he might be called out for showing favouritism towards a less fashionable player who he knows how to get the best out of and can do the job he asks of him.

Makes you wonder if the England manager selects the squad, then submits it to the marketing team for editing and rubber stamping. to like you say appease the press.

Not all bad - we should see a few Saints play against Kosovo at St Marys in September !

Our players are dropped from international squads because the play for us, nothing at all to do with Managers deciding others are better.

**** me, the whole of football is against us. Referees are biased against us, The FA too, pundits on TV hate us, and international managers drop our stars. I don’t know what we’ve done to deserve this massive conspiracy against us, and I would call for a high level Government inquiry, but we all know that would be a biased white wash too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our players are dropped from international squads because the play for us, nothing at all to do with Managers deciding others are better.

**** me, the whole of football is against us. Referees are biased against us, The FA too, pundits on TV hate us, and international managers drop our stars. I don’t know what we’ve done to deserve this massive conspiracy against us, and I would call for a high level Government inquiry, but we all know that would be a biased white wash too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mate you've got a persecution complex, Southgate has had a look at the boys but has gone for his usual players. There is no real drama here bruv, he has given them some exposure to the England set up which is good.

Mate you've got a persecution complex, Southgate has had a look at the boys but has gone for his usual players. There is no real drama here bruv, he has given them some exposure to the England set up which is good.

He’s got form for hysteria

Southgate has stuck with the likes of Delph and Lingard because they were part of the successful WC squad. Once managers have settled on a squad, especially ahead of tournament football, they tend to be quite conservative. Talk about victims and wet fannies on here.

The only players in the squad that you could realistically think of as being weak links are Delph, Lingard, Henderson, Dier, Barkley and Wilson.

Ward-Prowse is not as effective in central midfield as Delph, Henderson, Dier, or Barkley are. All of them are more powerful athletes who can win the ball more effectively than he can. Barkley can also drive forward from midfield to effectively join counter attacks. JWP just doesn't have the pace to be as good at that job as him. Delph is also capable at covering as a left back if he has to. Lingard scores important goals for England, though I don't particularly rate him. He's probably the player that Ward-Prowse is closest to replacing. I expect if he has a bad run of form for England I expect he'll be dropped and JWP will get a chance.

Redmond is just not as good at CF as Wilson. England need to pick an extra full-time striker in case Kane's fitness doesn't hold up and Rashford picks up a knock. If Kane was 100% fit I expect Redmond would possibly have been in with half a shout over Wilson, but that would be too big a risk with the current situation (and even that is clutching at straws a bit. Wilson has something like 14 goals and 9 assists this year and is in the squad by merit).

While players do slot into different positions, Redmond isn't a centre forward. He's primarily a left wing, switching at times to the right wing. He has to compete with Raheem Sterling and Jadon Sancho for those positions.

This is crazy. While JWP and Redmond have had decent seasons in a poor and struggling saints teams, they really aren't international quality. They haven't even been that highly praised on here. They are just the best we have, which doesn't really mean that much. Years ago, when we had a good squad, the likes of Lallana, Lambert, Clyne, JRod, Shaw etc might expect a chance, because they were the better players in a good team that knew how to play. Now we are expecting players who just play reasonably well in a **** team to get more international recognition. We can hope they might get their chance, but it's hardly a miscarriage of justice that a couple of fairly hit and miss players with quite average ability aren't getting called up for the final squad.

Have you noticed that the bigger teams aren't trying desperately to poach JWP and Redmond to replace the players we thing he should replace? Maybe if they excel for more than large parts of one season.

The only players in the squad that you could realistically think of as being weak links are Delph, Lingard, Henderson, Dier, Barkley and Wilson.

Ward-Prowse is not as effective in central midfield as Delph, Henderson, Dier, or Barkley are. All of them are more powerful athletes who can win the ball more effectively than he can. Barkley can also drive forward from midfield to effectively join counter attacks. JWP just doesn't have the pace to be as good at that job as him. Delph is also capable at covering as a left back if he has to. Lingard scores important goals for England, though I don't particularly rate him. He's probably the player that Ward-Prowse is closest to replacing. I expect if he has a bad run of form for England I expect he'll be dropped and JWP will get a chance.

Redmond is just not as good at CF as Wilson. England need to pick an extra full-time striker in case Kane's fitness doesn't hold up and Rashford picks up a knock. If Kane was 100% fit I expect Redmond would possibly have been in with half a shout over Wilson, but that would be too big a risk with the current situation (and even that is clutching at straws a bit. Wilson has something like 14 goals and 9 assists this year and is in the squad by merit).

Dier is an awful midfielder IMO, he lacks the ability to control and hold the ball under pressure and makes a lot of errors against a quality midfield press. He's a centre-back who is decent on the ball in reality. he's big and strong yes, but he lacks ability with the ball, with Rice there I doubt he'll get near the team any time soon.

Henderson is having a purple patch of form, so I can see why he is there, but if he goes back to his old self, especially for England then JWP can easily offer more.

Delph is just not very good full stop, he might be faster than JWP but that is about it, he's technically worse, offers little offensively, isn't particularly creative either. He's spent most of the last year or so playing as a left back and even then Zinchenko has ousted him from that role. Even with Fernandinho injured often, he hasn't even got a look in under Guardiola.

And Barkley is IMO just over rated, he's had opportunities playing in an advanced midfield role for a good team and aside the odd game has done very little. He's got ability, but lacks the brain IMO, apparently he is very dumb IRL, and it shows, his football intelligence is poor, his decision making is poor. JWP is the complete opposite, hes a very switched on and tactically aware player, its why so many of our managers like him because he can quickly take on board and execute their plans on the pitch, in the modern game that is what you want from your midfielders.

If JWP keeps his form up he can easily replace any of them to be honest, as they are average at best players and have particularly for England been meh, Henderson and Delph are both approaching their 30s, they are not going to get any better, Barkley is going to struggle to get into that Chelsea team long term as well.

Lingaard is IMO the least likely one he'll replace as Lingaard offers pace, movement and work rate, plus is a decent finisher, he can also cover most of those attacking roles.

Like someone above said I think Southgate is just sticking with the group that did so well in the World Cup and Nations League, once its over we'll see I reckon. If JWP has a full season like the last 6 months hes had, he is easily ahead of those players IMO, can long term see him establishing himself next to Rice in England's midfield as the competition is so weak there.

But he has to kick on, he's had these spells before and hasn't progressed.

Dier is an awful midfielder IMO, he lacks the ability to control and hold the ball under pressure and makes a lot of errors against a quality midfield press. He's a centre-back who is decent on the ball in reality. he's big and strong yes, but he lacks ability with the ball, with Rice there I doubt he'll get near the team any time soon.

Henderson is having a purple patch of form, so I can see why he is there, but if he goes back to his old self, especially for England then JWP can easily offer more.

Delph is just not very good full stop, he might be faster than JWP but that is about it, he's technically worse, offers little offensively, isn't particularly creative either. He's spent most of the last year or so playing as a left back and even then Zinchenko has ousted him from that role. Even with Fernandinho injured often, he hasn't even got a look in under Guardiola.

And Barkley is IMO just over rated, he's had opportunities playing in an advanced midfield role for a good team and aside the odd game has done very little. He's got ability, but lacks the brain IMO, apparently he is very dumb IRL, and it shows, his football intelligence is poor, his decision making is poor. JWP is the complete opposite, hes a very switched on and tactically aware player, its why so many of our managers like him because he can quickly take on board and execute their plans on the pitch, in the modern game that is what you want from your midfielders.

If JWP keeps his form up he can easily replace any of them to be honest, as they are average at best players and have particularly for England been meh, Henderson and Delph are both approaching their 30s, they are not going to get any better, Barkley is going to struggle to get into that Chelsea team long term as well.

Lingaard is IMO the least likely one he'll replace as Lingaard offers pace, movement and work rate, plus is a decent finisher, he can also cover most of those attacking roles.

Like someone above said I think Southgate is just sticking with the group that did so well in the World Cup and Nations League, once its over we'll see I reckon. If JWP has a full season like the last 6 months hes had, he is easily ahead of those players IMO, can long term see him establishing himself next to Rice in England's midfield as the competition is so weak there.

But he has to kick on, he's had these spells before and hasn't progressed.

So, essentially, what you're saying is that Southgate has picked a experienced backups in case the likes of Rice, Sancho and Rashford aren't working out. Put like that, it makes copious amounts of sense to the alternative of picking similarly average players with no tournament experience.

Personally, I think Southgate has built up enough good will that we really shouldn't be too critical that 2 slightly above average players didn't get into the final squad. At least they got to this stage - got to feel for James Maddison.

Maddison in the U21 Euros instead (along with Gunn might I add), all part of Southgates ‘ethos’ of getting valuable tournament experience instead and building relationship on pitch with his age group for future generation apparently

What are you talking about mate. Hes been outstanding this season! :)
Outstanding? Not even close. He has improved but mostly stands out because our squad is so poor. He doesn't deserve an England spot yet. Not close to the level required.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Outstanding? Not even close. He has improved but mostly stands out because our squad is so poor. He doesn't deserve an England spot yet. Not close to the level required.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Exactly this."Outstanding" is now the word used to describe any player in our team who isn't poor on a fairly regular basis, which, in fairness, does make them stand out.

Redmond and JWP have been our better players this season, but being our better players really doesn't indicate they are ready to play regularly for England. I guess with them being among the best couple of English players in their positions we'll see some huge bids for them this summer though, right?

I just worry about Redmond spending so much time with players from other "better" clubs who could easily turn his head. They will inevitably talk about how much they earn and how many trophies they can win.

I suspect he'll know that better players at bigger clubs will earn more, and have more chance of winning something.

The bigger danger is in being dropped in favour of the likes of lingard - it'll confirm that he's s got more chance of selection if he's at a bigger club.

I just worry about Redmond spending so much time with players from other "better" clubs who could easily turn his head. They will inevitably talk about how much they earn and how many trophies they can win.

I suspect he'll know that better players at bigger clubs will earn more, and have more chance of winning something.

The bigger danger is in being dropped in favour of the likes of lingard - it'll confirm that he's s got more chance of selection if he's at a bigger club.

All our players would rather be playing for a bigger club. The variables you’ve mentioned are largely immaterial.

All our players would rather be playing for a bigger club. The variables you’ve mentioned are largely immaterial.
Exactly, and not only that, contrary to what others seem to think on here, it's managers and D of F who buy players, not other teams players.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Which of these "better" clubs could you see being interested in him?

Eh, Lingard got 4 goals and 3 assists in just under 1700 minutes of league football last season. Redmond got 6 goals and 4 assists in just under 3300 minutes. Taking into account the fact that Lingard has already performed well for England, there's no injustice in him keeping Redmond out of the squad when fit.

Probably a stupid question for you football geniuses: I was wondering how/what players get paid for playing for England. Reason I ask this on the Redmond thread is that I was explicitly wondering how much NR and JWP would have got just for turning up to the squad week.

The England players give their appearance money to charity I think !?

Probably a stupid question for you football geniuses: I was wondering how/what players get paid for playing for England. Reason I ask this on the Redmond thread is that I was explicitly wondering how much NR and JWP would have got just for turning up to the squad week.

The England players give their appearance money to charity I think !?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44683574

• 2 months later...

Sky reporting he's signed a new contract... 10am sweepstake?

BOOM! #SaintsFC's @NathanRedmond22 has signed a new four-year contract with the club!

Nathan Redmond has signed a new four-year contract at Southampton.

Redmond said: “I’m really happy to have signed, and I'm just wanting to get the season up and going now.

“We've got a great group of players here, who I've been with for the last three years. I see them every single day and it's a pleasure to go out there and perform with them at the weekend and train hard with them every single week. I feel like we can hopefully build something special and to be a part of it for the next four years is good for me.”

Ralph Hasenhuttl added: “It is very good news for the club. He's a player who showed in the last season that he is very important for Southampton and I think it's a massive signal for the club, and for us all, that he wants to follow our way. It's a very positive day for us.”

GgXaXdCt?format=jpg&name=600x314

Edited by SuperSAINT

Brilliant news though I can't help but feel they're announcing this today so as to distract us because no one is coming in. So that we'll have the "Oh well at least Redmond signed a new contract, that's like a new signing!"

Like I said though, good news for sure.

I've never been his biggest fan as a player but he improved leaps and bounds last season, and also appears to have a great attitude which is refreshing. Well done to Nathan for the strides he's made and good news for the club, although as said above the timing feels like a bit of a distraction from the probable lack of incomings today.

Amazing how he turned it around last season, at the end of 17/18 I was very much in the "never want to see him in a Saints shirt again" camp. He's massively improved and the most obvious difference to me is his attitude - before he was the first to moan at everybody, now he's always smiling when on the pitch and encouraging the other players.

Hope he can keep up his great form from the back half of last season. Very glad he's signed this new contract!

Amazing how he turned it around last season, at the end of 17/18 I was very much in the "never want to see him in a Saints shirt again" camp. He's massively improved

I live in hope that this time next year we’ll all be saying the same about ___________ (full in the space)

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond