Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

Yep. And obviously, any club that happens to actually be interested in a player we want shot of is going to know that, and negotiate accordingly.

Absolutely. It’s no secret who we want out, so why would a buying club not try to drive the deal on their terms, knowing full well there are other players available probably cheaper and without doubt better.

The club want too much money. See also Carillo. They don’t seem to realise we are not in a position of strength. We’ve become used to selling players we don’t want to sell that other clubs want to buy, now we have players we want to sell but no one wants. This weakens our position, whilst it’s admirable we’re trying to get the best deal we aren’t really in a position to call the shots, if we can’t get shot of them we end up,paying the a player a few million quid a year just to turn up for training 5 days a week.
In this case it sounds like we had agreed a fairly cheap loan.

Agree re Carillo. He only has 2 years left so next summer any club would just ask to loan him til his deal is up. This summer the only chance to sell so surely any perm offer should be accepted, even if its 3 or 4m.

People seem to not realise why players come to us. It's not that difficult - we offer big wages. Once on big wages, they aren't going to really want to shift onto lower wages (although some will) rather they want to make hay when the sun is shining. Unless other clubs match their wages that we give, they ain't going anywhere. Slightly different with older players.

People seem to not realise why players come to us. It's not that difficult - we offer big wages. Once on big wages, they aren't going to really want to shift onto lower wages (although some will) rather they want to make hay when the sun is shining. Unless other clubs match their wages that we give, they ain't going anywhere. Slightly different with older players.

True. But we are not alone in that.

According to VG's information, the Norwegian was absent from today's training session because he has been on medical test for a European club whose name has not yet been released.

The player is now leaving England for final negotiations with this club. If all goes well, the national team will sign this weekend and be loaned out from Southampton until the summer. It is not yet decided whether the agreement contains an option to purchase.

VG is also informed that German top club Werder Bremen has at last been thrown into the fight to borrow "Moi", but it takes a lot to make them cope with the Norwegian at this time.

Neither Elyounoussi nor his agent Ferhat Cifci have been able to reach for comment Friday.

The former Sarpsborg 08 and Molde player became the most expensive Norwegian footballer of all time when he went from Basel to Southampton last summer for between NOK 170 and 190 million.

Elyounoussi has only played 16 games, including eight from the start, for Southampton in the Premier League. After being out in the cold all summer he was left out of the Norwegian national team that will meet Malta and Sweden in the upcoming national team meeting.

Earlier this summer, Elyounoussi turned down the Championship clubs Middlesbrough and Leeds, who wanted to get him on loan out of season. There have also been discussions with the Spanish clubs Celta Vigo and Seville.

Carrillo was the worse signing by miles.

Moi had a good season where he played regularly and scored regularly for a relatively weak team. He performed well at Champs League level and did particularly well against Man City. The signing didn't work out because he is physically unsuited to Premier League football, but I can understand why we went for him.

Carrillo was a bit part player for a big side in a relatively average league. He only really played as a sub and was generally used to bully weak defenders in teams worse than the one he played for. Apart from MoPe's connection to him, I have no idea why we signed him, he was always going to be terrible.

Carrillo was the worse signing by miles.

Moi had a good season where he played regularly and scored regularly for a relatively weak team. He performed well at Champs League level and did particularly well against Man City. The signing didn't work out because he is physically unsuited to Premier League football, but I can understand why we went for him.

Carrillo was a bit part player for a big side in a relatively average league. He only really played as a sub and was generally used to bully weak defenders in teams worse than the one he played for. Apart from MoPe's connection to him, I have no idea why we signed him, he was always going to be terrible.

Carrillo has more or less coped with the demands of La Liga, Moi is nowhere near being good enough to play at that level. He hasn't shown anything in the Champions League either, I don't know where you get that from. Before buying hm, we'd been scouting him for years. It beggars belief that we paid what we did.

I reckon it could be a good move for him to get to grips with British football, and might come back a better player.

I don't think he's ever going to get to grips with football full stop, to be honest. The least talented flair player i've seen.

Carrillo has more or less coped with the demands of La Liga, Moi is nowhere near being good enough to play at that level. He hasn't shown anything in the Champions League either, I don't know where you get that from. Before buying hm, we'd been scouting him for years. It beggars belief that we paid what we did.

Elyounoussi scored 2 goals in 8 CL games in 2018 including the winner in the away leg against Man City at their ground. He was instrumental in having Basel get through to the knock out stages that year (ie he performed well in the Champions' League, as I said). At the time he we signed him he was 23 and there was a chance he could have improved.

If you call Carrillo's 6 goals in 32 games coping with the league? If he scored that for us I'd hardly say he was coping. He was also in his alleged prime when we bought him and had less chance of developing. He was also renowned among the Monaco fans for having absolutely no ability with his feet and no pace.

And he cost more than Elyounoussi did, too. Overall, a worse signing (though neither of them were much good).

Edited by Useful Idiot

Taking a punt on players who have done well outside the PL is how we operate. No way are we going to get any top performers from any of the big leagues so we are reduced to looking at player who have done well at a lower level (or for what ever reason not made it in a big league) in our price range it's a strategy that is going to bring a high level of signings that don't make the step up.

At the end of the day, for Basel, Moi's stats where something like 21 league goals and 28 assists in 65 games plus a couple of CL goals it probably looked like a decent punt by the club he hasn't worked out but thats hardly something new in our transfer policy.

Taking a punt on players who have done well outside the PL is how we operate. No way are we going to get any top performers from any of the big leagues so we are reduced to looking at player who have done well at a lower level (or for what ever reason not made it in a big league) in our price range it's a strategy that is going to bring a high level of signings that don't make the step up.

At the end of the day, for Basel, Moi's stats where something like 21 league goals and 28 assists in 65 games plus a couple of CL goals it probably looked like a decent punt by the club he hasn't worked out but thats hardly something new in our transfer policy.

Mods - this post seems far too pragmatic for my liking and thus probably breaks several forum rules. Grateful if you could deal with it swiftly. Cheers

We don’t just take random punts

We scout them. And in the case of Mo, we did so for years

If our strategy is to pick ransoms from around Europe, we will go bust

Said it before will say it again, comfortably the worst player to 'play' for us since we came back up. Hopelessly, comprehensively, out of his depth.
Dunno if that's fair, he had a decent cross and wasn't a bad passer. He was no where near good enough but people forget the likes of Danny Fox far too easily. I'd even say he is better than Hoedt and Carrillo who cost a similar amount

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Dunno if that's fair, he had a decent cross and wasn't a bad passer. He was no where near good enough but people forget the likes of Danny Fox far too easily. I'd even say he is better than Hoedt and Carrillo who cost a similar amount

Danny Fox contributed a lot more than this chancer ever did.

What a huge disappointment he has been. I was genuinely excited when we signed him but he doesn't even look like a footballer, literally no redeeming features. Certainly battling with Carillo for our worst ever signing. Hopefully he can do enough up there to earn a permanent transfer somewhere next summer.

It's all about opinions and Fox was, of course, shyte. Elyounoussi worse for me (I must've missed the games where he crossed and passed the ball well) and certainly worse than Hoedt or Carillo.

Are you OK to pull together his SFC YouTube highlights reel?

This would be the Danny Fox who cost £1.5m and contributed something like 15 assists from left back in our championship promotion season? Yes he was out of his depth in the premier league but so we’re a lot of players who played a part in our promotions. What a ridiculous comparison, why don’t you also say Elyounoussi was as bad as Danny Butterfield, Frazer Richardson, Dan Harding, Dean Hammond, Richard Chaplow?