Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

Sad he never worked out here.

Has the ability but also thinks he is a fashion designer and influencer and not a footballer.

It’s probably the worst thing about modern football.

Clowns like Pogba, Neymar etc that have one great game against a bunch of clowns and think they are Kim Kardashian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blimey. Didn’t ever think I’d agree with any thing you typed, but there it is.

Nail. Head.

You obviously didn't watch Crystal Palace away or West Brom away then because that's exactly what he did in those matches.

When a player is capable of that level I am always disappointed to see them move on, knowing that they will probably produce it more often somewhere else (like Mane did, even though he was good more often than Lemina has been).

That being said, if we get a decent fee (i.e. not £15m, he is much better than Targett...), have identified a quality centre back and a decent CM (i.e. good enough to be in rotation or back up) to spend the money on, Hasenhuttl doesn't see Lemina in his plans and Lemina doesn't want to be here, then it makes sense to sell him.

Yes - I remember the Crystal Palace match especially fondly. A few mates up here who support Palace and commented how he was the best player they'd seen that season.

Would be disappointed if we sold him to Leicester and I believe we’ll be competing with them next season (will probably come up just short though)

Leicester will be some way above us this season IMHO

Would be disappointed if we sold him to Leicester and I believe we’ll be competing with them next season (will probably come up just short though)

I get the impression he was back up option for then instead of Tielemans. By the same token, Lemina is Utd’s option as Tielemans opted for Leicester.

I can see us going for Phillips of Leeds if this goes through...

Wouldn’t the Lemina fee go primarily towards a centre-back?

Imagine cash for a Lemina replacement somehow needs to come from a fringe-player sale whip-round.

I get the impression we want to overhaul the squad but can't afford to, especially as we have loads of ****e we are still paying transfer installments for.

Lemina, like Targett probably wasnt on the list of priority sales but fell into the category of being capable of attracting sizeable bids and not being a totally key player.

Therefore, they are sacrificial lambs because we can't sell the mountain goats like Carrillo and Hoedt so will either loan them out at a huge loss or keep them.

At this stage we have about 10 outs to do in a month and how close we get to all 10 being sold will directly impact incomings.

S

I get the impression we want to overhaul the squad but can't afford to, especially as we have loads of ****e we are still paying transfer installments for.

Lemina, like Targett probably wasnt on the list of priority sales but fell into the category of being capable of attracting sizeable bids and not being a totally key player.

Therefore, they are sacrificial lambs because we can't sell the mountain goats like Carrillo and Hoedt so will either loan them out at a huge loss or keep them.

At this stage we have about 10 outs to do in a month and how close we get to all 10 being sold will directly impact incomings.

We will probably get 2 or 3 more sold & loan out the rest.

Don't claim to be ITK so take what you will.

Usual friend who is close. Mario joined saints intending to use as a stepping stone up the premier League, understood from both sides in 2/3 seasons. He was willing/happy to put in another season - a full season under RH, but enquiries were made so he requested (unofficially) for saints to honour the step up. Ralph obliged.

Man U are only enquiring at the moment, sounding out price, no offer made. Arsenal have made an offer that was rejected but negotiations continue.

Couple of clubs from Europe also enquiring but he wants to play PL. If offer isn't good enough from PL then Europe and champions League it is.

Lots of interest. Agent has been in London since Sunday. Saints want deal done quick since learning last week of his wishes (he was part of plans for season).

Don't claim to be ITK so take what you will.

Usual friend who is close. Mario joined saints intending to use as a stepping stone up the premier League, understood from both sides in 2/3 seasons. He was willing/happy to put in another season - a full season under RH, but enquiries were made so he requested (unofficially) for saints to honour the step up. Ralph obliged.

Man U are only enquiring at the moment, sounding out price, no offer made. Arsenal have made an offer that was rejected but negotiations continue.

Couple of clubs from Europe also enquiring but he wants to play PL. If offer isn't good enough from PL then Europe and champions League it is.

Lots of interest. Agent has been in London since Sunday. Saints want deal done quick since learning last week of his wishes (he was part of plans for season).

Sounds very plausible. If you look at Lemina's quotes carefully, there is no bad feeling on either side. He just says he has good communications with the club, but is frustrated due to his injuries last year he failed to make a greater contribution, and now Ralph is building his preferred starting team for the new season (presumably without Lemina). So if there are offers that suit both sides, then why not make a fresh start? Pity, but he was always going to move on eventually, so don't see why he is the villain all of a sudden. Good to see we seem to have rejected Arsenal's first offer - maybe we will get more than the rumored £18M?

Palace AND West Brom? Those are some credentials. Let’s face it, he’s done zilch in RH’s tenure to date and it appears he’s happy for him to depart.

Agree, although he has been injured for most of it.

You can be as condescending as you like about my comment, but I was making a point to the previous poster who said he hadn't seen anything "to suggest he could dominate a match". They might not have been the best opposition but it still takes something to be that level above everyone else on the pitch, which he was. I don't recall many individual stand out performances like it, in fact.

I don't have a problem with people thinking he's not worth perservering with, or that he doesn't have the attitude to cut it at us or at any level, but to claim that he doesn't have ability or that he has never played exceptionally well just isn't true, hence my reply.

The Gunners boss Unai Emery is very keen to land the Gabon international and is willing to swap Mohamed Elneny to sweeten the transfer.

Interesting comment from the Express but Mario wants to go to United...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1151245/Mario-Lemina-Manchester-United-Arsenal-Leicester-Southampton-Premier-League

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

I don't have a problem with people thinking he's not worth perservering with, or that he doesn't have the attitude to cut it at us or at any level, but to claim that he doesn't have ability or that he has never played exceptionally well just isn't true, hence my reply.

Spot on.

As for a possible move to Man U, that is clearly dependent on Pogba going.

I love articles like this do they pay an attention to what actually goes on at saints. Not having a go at Lemina but this line is just bollix

"after standing out at St Mary’s two years after signing from Juventus."

He hasn't stood out hell last season he could barely get in the match day squad.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I reckon the ones who will be sold will probably be Austin, Gallagher, Lemina and Cedric. As you say, best that can be hoped with Hoedt, Carrillo and Forster is probably loans. Boufal could still go either way, depends on his attitude and what Ralph thinks of him.

If all of those do go one way or the other, we would then need incomings at RB, CB, a midfielder to replace Lemina and a No 10 type player I think.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

An impression from what?

Reported fees look too low, if we are selling for as low as £18 million it should be out of the league IMO.

The likes of Utd, Arsenal etc. should be paying upwards of £30 million, with some healthy sell on clauses. Today's £30 million is basically £15 million of two years ago pretty much.

Good player but inconsistent, not a major loss really seeing as he was a squad player last year but would have liked to see what Ralph could have got out of him.

Edited by tajjuk

Ok, apart from Palace and WBA away under the nervous wreck, and cameos v Man U and Newcastle last season, how many times have you seen genuine ‘quality’ performances from Lemina? Not a lot for 50-odd appearances is it? Also one of the highest earners.

We’ve also seen some dreadful displays such as W Ham away. Granted, he joined a mess with the nervous wreck and the past it 80s star, but RH has sound judgement, no mug at all, and reckons we can do better. Most of the fans would agree with RH.

The guy does have flashes of quality as evidenced by being at Juventus but then so did Augustin Delgado. His track record of stringing long spells of playing together is not good. Man U can afford a one game in and three games out type with a nice trick, we can’t, we need players with pace and energy who can sustain 30+ games a season.

If Lemina goes there, and the only quibble is the lower fee, and can be bothered, it is unlikely the player would have put that level of focus in here. Personally I think RH may have a CM target he wants and any shortfall on the fee might be compensated for a few times over if RH gets a hungry replacement who does well. Plus their wages will be lower so adding that into the equation. Anyone that plays frankly is an improvement. Any chance to bin off a post 2016 Les Reed signing without losing money is well worth taking anyway.

100% agree with this, i think the player is either brilliant, disinterested or a down right liability. Unfortunately too many of the latter and too few of the brilliant performances. RH clearly doesn't fancy getting the required consistency out of him and for that reason let him go. Good luck to Untied with that but after maybe a few early decent performances no doubt we will see the true Lemina emerge.

I completely agree with the above post, but when your average premier league players are going for upwards of £30m then Lemina should be going for that too really. Unless we are desperate to get him out and he's been touted around at the higher price and no-one has shown any interest. He's better that the majority of midfielders in this league on his day, but unfortunately for us, his day has been about 1 in 10.

Reported fees look too low, if we are selling for as low as £18 million it should be out of the league IMO.

The likes of Utd, Arsenal etc. should be paying upwards of £30 million, with some healthy sell on clauses. Today's £30 million is basically £15 million of two years ago pretty much.

Good player but inconsistent, not a major loss really seeing as he was a squad player last year but would have liked to see what Ralph could have got out of him.

The reality is that we are never going to get that sort of fee for someone who is on the fringes of our squad, who while talented has never performed with any sort of consistency.

I'll be happy just to escape from this one unscathed and invest that money elsewhere in someone committed to Ralph's project.

I agree to a point - however if we are selling to Utd or Arsenal, especially if we get a swap deal included (say £18m + Player) then I would prefer that to selling to an Everton or Leicester for £25m

On Tuesday, The Times reported Mario Lemina has been given permission to speak to Manchester United, ahead of a possible transfer to Old Trafford.

The claims of interest have been widespread, and it seems Southampton aren’t against selling the midfielder.

Joining Southampton from Juventus in 2017, Lemina settled in relatively quickly but last season wasn’t able to get the regularity he wanted. Injuries were one issue, however, it seems clear that hasn’t been the only problem, given his desire to leave the club this summer.

The 25 year old has now spoken to France Football about his situation. He didn’t mentione Manchester United or any other potential destination directly, but made it clear he’s on the exit ramp at Southampton.

Asked why he’s not been at the club’s preseason training, Lemina said: “I am physically preparing myself at the training centre, with a few other players including Charlie Austin and Jordy Clasie. I did not accompany the team in training in agreement with the coach. He wants to build his group with the players who want to stay at the club, so he left me out. As early as last year, I had set my conditions: I wanted to go elsewhere this summer. I was also very frustrated by my injury that lasted four months, so I really want to discover something else.”

The desire to leave the Saints is one which he’s had since joining, it all being part of a plan to take a further step in his career: “I had just decided to go to Southampton for two years, and see if I could take another step. We had agreed with the sports director. The injury arrived late December, it slowed me down, it’s a shame, but I do not want to go further with Southampton. I prefer that we stay on good terms, faithful to what we said.”

That suggests this may have been known by all parties right from the start.

Given his recent injury problems, Lemina was asked if it’s a risky time to move right now: “I’m not afraid, I made a choice and I take it to the end. I stand by my plan, I decided to tell the leaders that I wanted to leave, there is no turning back. There is a risk, of course, but I know what I’m capable of, I’m 100% and I’m going to prove that I can get back to my best. Some clubs may be more cautious, but they already know me. Today I am fully recovered, I worked a lot. I am ready to move on. The pubalgia (sports hernia) is a very hard to handle injury, which requires a lot of work. I did it and now I’m doing very well physically.”

The midfielder believes staying in the Premier League is the right step for him now, which would favour Manchester United interest, and he said: “I aspire to play in the biggest clubs, now we will see what is proposed. I had chosen to leave Juventus for Southampton to have more playing time, I got it. I made a good impression in England, I had good returns at a certain time, so I hope clubs will not have a short memory (laughs).”

And how about Champions League football, is that essential? Well, no, not according to the player himself: “It’s a bonus. If I have the opportunity to play this season, why not, but I’m really trying to regain consistency, become an important player in a team with high goals. I need to play! That’s really my priority. I want to show everyone what I can do.”

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/theres-no-turning-back-permission-speak-man-united-mario-lemina-speaks-transfer/

Good interview. Seems that it was agreed a while back he'd be off, and I've no problem with that. Only issue I have is that post injury he could be absolutely class for us, but the situation doesn't look like it will allow us to see that this season.

Good luck to him.

Uncle Les' touch of death all over this. Signing players on a promise that they'll be sold once they've served a fraction of their sentence is no way to build a committed squad.

Yes, we all know Saints aren't most players' ideal final destination, and if they've got any ambition (and ability) they'll just be passing through. But if they don't even have to earn that upgrade through the strength of their performances because we've agreed to help them out the door after a set period regardless, what incentive is there for anyone to give two hoots about fighting for the club when the chips are down (as they most certainly have been for two years)?

That's partly why we've struggled so badly. When the going got tough, half our squad got on the phone to their agents and tried to get going.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Uncle Les' touch of death all over this. Signing players on a promise that they'll be sold once they've served a fraction of their sentence is no way to build a committed squad.

Yes, we all know Saints aren't most players' ideal final destination, and if they've got any ambition (and ability) they'll just be passing through. But if they don't even have to earn that upgrade through the strength of their performances because we've agreed to help them out the door after a set period regardless, what incentive is there for anyone to give two hoots about fighting for the club when the chips are down (as they most certainly have been for two years)?

That's partly why we've struggled so badly. When the going got tough, half our squad got on the phone to their agents and tried to get going.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Disagree.

They still have to show the talent to get the upgrade or no one will want them. If he ends up at Man U then good for him. If no big club is interested then he might end up knocking around on loan at some middling European club, which isn’t what he wants. Had we actually been anything other than ****e for the last two years he might be asking to stay.

I prefer this sort of arrangement to a Van **** situation where we give a great big new contract and the player still acts like a **** straight away.

It’s better for everyone if expectations are clear.

"I was also very frustrated by my injury that lasted four months."

So were we.

Ah well, at least he's showing the reason why we no longer want him around the squad with all these interviews. Usually players leave it for the international breaks to express their want to move on.

Disagree.

They still have to show the talent to get the upgrade or no one will want them. If he ends up at Man U then good for him. If no big club is interested then he might end up knocking around on loan at some middling European club, which isn’t what he wants. Had we actually been anything other than ****e for the last two years he might be asking to stay.

I prefer this sort of arrangement to a Van **** situation where we give a great big new contract and the player still acts like a **** straight away.

It’s better for everyone if expectations are clear.

100% this. If we end up with players who have the potential to be too good for us, coming willingly knowing they have to perform well to get the move they really want, but also knowing that move won't be blocked (so they remain committed, positive and not a disruptive force) we will be a lot better off for it.

All players will think they can go on to better things - we probably don't want the ones who just want to settle somewhere comfortable - so as long as we maintain a continual pipeline of them, buy well, sell better, it's a sound model for a club our size.

I agree to a point - however if we are selling to Utd or Arsenal, especially if we get a swap deal included (say £18m + Player) then I would prefer that to selling to an Everton or Leicester for £25m

Not sure we want any Arsenal or Man Utd cast offs.

These are two teams that just about stumbled into the top 6, almost falling over themselves to see who could bottle it the most, they are probably the two most likely candidates this year from the top 6 who might end up outside it. I just can't see many players that didn't get into those two teams who would improve us?

Talk of Elneny being offered, does he improve us?

Honestly unless it was one of their promising youngsters like Reiss Nelson (which seems unlikely) I think we are better off extracting as much cash as we can from these clubs.

I am hoping for far more than £18 million, that would be a joke to be honest.

Not sure we want any Arsenal or Man Utd cast offs.

These are two teams that just about stumbled into the top 6, almost falling over themselves to see who could bottle it the most, they are probably the two most likely candidates this year from the top 6 who might end up outside it. I just can't see many players that didn't get into those two teams who would improve us?

Talk of Elneny being offered, does he improve us?

Honestly unless it was one of their promising youngsters like Reiss Nelson (which seems unlikely) I think we are better off extracting as much cash as we can from these clubs.

I am hoping for far more than £18 million, that would be a joke to be honest.

What do you mean stumble into the top 6? Both made the top 6 comfortably and narrowly missed the CL places.

What do you mean stumble into the top 6? Both made the top 6 comfortably and narrowly missed the CL places.

But they were definitely stumbling at the end of the season. United didn't win any of their last 4 games when they were playing 2 of the relegated teams. Arsenal won just 1 of their last 5.

There is no way we will get more than £18m for him even in the current market.

The player has talent, he's showed that on 4-5 occasions for us but his attitude to the application of that talent is the issue.

Bigger clubs are taking a punt on him, lets be honest. They're hoping that at a bigger club surrounded by better players he'll put in the performances he's capable of week in and week out.

At £15m-18m he's a risk that bigger clubs can afford to take, we cant afford to sit on a £15m asset hoping that out of no where he starts to apply himself when in the last 2 years he's not shown us many signs he's willing to do that here.

We cant price him out of a move by demanding £25-£30m knowing that big clubs are taking a punt on the basis he might turn into the £60m player, those big clubs wont take the risk at £25-£30m but they will at £15-£18

well okay then- let's hold out for at least £23m then (couple of posts ago I wanted at least £30m!)- and put on some bonus clauses then- how about extra £3m if his new team qualify for CL within 2 years, and an extra £5m if he reaches 50 apps with said new club.

because I still think he has 3 years left, he is better than that price tag and anyone getting him for £20m or less will have got a bargain in my opinion in this day and age, despite his fitness issues.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice