Hasenhuttl ...can we criticise him yet...

saint lard

My confidence in Ralph is, or was, based on what he has said more than on what he has done. Some manager stability would be a nice thing, but that's much easier when you have an obviously successful man in the job, such as Eddie Howe, down the road. We do have some quality players in a decent squad but as a team, they aren't performing to the expected level, at least, not all of them. Dropping Adams at Tottenham, was IMO the right thing although sticking with Vestergaard after the pre-match loss of Cedric was questionable. I can't see what Ralph is doing wrong, which is why he's a professional football coach and I'm not, but surely he should be able to see what's wrong, and more crucially, put it right. He says the right things in his post-match assessments and appears very frank and honest in the press conferences but he's going to be judged on deeds more than words, and specifically more on results than anything else.

My confidence in Ralph is, or was, based on what he has said more than on what he has done. Some manager stability would be a nice thing, but that's much easier when you have an obviously successful man in the job, such as Eddie Howe, down the road. We do have some quality players in a decent squad but as a team, they aren't performing to the expected level, at least, not all of them. Dropping Adams at Tottenham, was IMO the right thing although sticking with Vestergaard after the pre-match loss of Cedric was questionable. I can't see what Ralph is doing wrong, which is why he's a professional football coach and I'm not, but surely he should be able to see what's wrong, and more crucially, put it right. He says the right things in his post-match assessments and appears very frank and honest in the press conferences but he's going to be judged on deeds more than words, and specifically more on results than anything else.

Overall, I still prefer him to Hughes, Pellegrino and Puel but I think 90% of our fans could see what he was doing wrong with his defensive selections and formations v Bournemouth and Spurs. Players out of position, Vestergaard...

Koeman made some odd decisions and had some very poor runs of form and he is probably one of our most successful managers for a long time.

Thing is we do not have the full picture, we only see what happens on the pitch, we don't know what instructions the player is given that they may not carry out, we don't know what they are working on the training ground and what the players show there, we don't know what players attitudes and approaches are.

Koeman made some odd decisions and had some very poor runs of form and he is probably one of our most successful managers for a long time.

Thing is we do not have the full picture, we only see what happens on the pitch, we don't know what instructions the player is given that they may not carry out, we don't know what they are working on the training ground and what the players show there, we don't know what players attitudes and approaches are.

Wasn't there something around Christmas in Koemans last season where the results were a bit pants. A bizarre 4-0 Boxing day win v Arsenal the only bright spot and by the time we got knocked out of the cup by Palace (?) there were rumours of grumblings behind the scenes at Saints from a reliable ITK - and the hierarchy weren't best pleased with various goings on, on and off the pitch. Then we hit a purple patch and went on an unbeaten run that propelled us up into automatic Europa League qualification.

Seems since the departure of Les and Ralph K - it seems like there is a void of that level of club management to kick Ralphs backside (if needs be).

Wasn't there something around Christmas in Koemans last season where the results were a bit pants. A bizarre 4-0 Boxing day win v Arsenal the only bright spot and by the time we got knocked out of the cup by Palace (?) there were rumours of grumblings behind the scenes at Saints from a reliable ITK - and the hierarchy weren't best pleased with various goings on, on and off the pitch. Then we hit a purple patch and went on an unbeaten run that propelled us up into automatic Europa League qualification.

Seems since the departure of Les and Ralph K - it seems like there is a void of that level of club management to kick Ralphs backside (if needs be).

I share your recollection of events in RK's last season. it seems absurd now to remember that our upsurge in form coincided with Forster's return to first team after injury.

As for your last comment though I don't recall Les and Ralph K being too good in the ar$e-kicking department when Pellegrino was in charge, but take your point that there isn't anyone in post who RH feels closely answerable to.

Busted flush.

Talks a good game but can’t deliver it.

Over complicates the game thinking he is clever...but he’s not.

He sets out to counter the opposition...not set us up to do what we can and hurt the opposition.

Players maybe sub par but you coach them to reach their potential...he obviously can’t. There is no improvement at all.

Brought in some players of his choice...can’t even make a starting 11.....Moussa might be a shining light.

Ridiculous player selections in obviously the wrong positions.

Substitutions are baffling and the timing of them...often way to late and wrong personnel.

Ok he’s dealt a pretty poor hand...but he is quite frankly **** overall.

In fact...he’s conned his way into our club with the crap he spouts.

Unfortunately I don’t see anyone that can do better with this gutless overpaid shower of ****e.

They aren’t playing for him anymore anyhow.

But he’s a fraud thus far.

Bigger than Adkins...and that is saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone earlier mentioned his numbers don't make for good reading.

Last win at home in league was 13th April. Only one win at home since march.

Only two wins in the last 13 league games and only 10 points from last 39 on offer. That means from 14th April to today he has a 15% win ratio in the league. That is MP2 type numbers.

My main gripe with him is that he doesn't change tactics when they are not working and instead keeps doing the same-thing. When we need to change things we just plod on. He doesn't make effective subs at all.

But at the end of the day as crap as he is being right now he can only use what is available to him. The squad overall is poor and is going to take a few more windows to sort out. Maybe a better manager would get more out of them but I don't think it is a gamble worth taking.

I think the change that needs to happen isn't getting rid of him. But changing the formation and set up. We need to be more positive and have more bodies forwards. If we are going to have two DM's then remove a defender and put an attacking player on.

Lost the dressing room?

I wonder. There are clearly a few issues with his strange omissions.

Hoped he would be better; however let's not kid ourselves: our squad is **** poor. Would this squad be good enough to win promotion from the Championship?

Criticise yes replace ...who with?

How bad do JWP and Hojberg have to be to get substituted . Why no changes at half time just surrender?

4-3-3 against Chelsea was madness and not changing anything means he has lost the plot or needs better help

I usually give it 10 games each season before applying for membership of the SWF Doom & Gloom Club, but this year I'm going to apply after just 8 games. Anyone got a spare membership form? Alas, another battle against relegation beckons.

P.s. there's got to be more than meets the eye to Rohl leaving just before the start of the season, hasn't there?

Edited by trousers

Results based business.

The performances and passion have gone.

Time for a change

The fickleness of fans ffs. Staggering.

Let's bring in 'arry, or Fat Sam...

No point changing the manager, it's the dicks at the top that need to go to see any improvement.

Criticise yes replace ...who with?

How bad do JWP and Hojberg have to be to get substituted . Why no changes at half time just surrender?

4-3-3 against Chelsea was madness and not changing anything means he has lost the plot or needs better help

Yep. Starts with the wrong formation. Again. We were never going to beat Chelsea by trying to hold onto the ball and pass it around at the back.

No point making substitutions with only ten minutes left.

We have no identity, slow, predictable almost to the point of lethargy in attack. Ralph had the summer to impose his game plan and ideas on the squad and has failed miserably. Annoying thing is that we should be comfortably in midtable this season despite this, but some baffling selections/game management from Ralph has meant we are near the bottom. On another note the worrying thing for me a lot of premier league clubs have premier league ready youngsters to come in, our academy despite the hype seems unable to produce players with the correct attributes.

I think he's a cracking coach with a good idea of how to approach games - he's just been sold a dud with this utterly horrific squad, let's be honest.

It's ****. Full of absolute losers.

I don't really rate Hoj, not a huge fan of Gunn. Betrand looks like he's had enough, JWP continues to flatter under any manager he ever plays for. Romeu is decent, but not top level.

We just don't have top level players anymore, it's a cobbled together bunch of has beans and average players and there's no intention to improve on that because we've wasted so much money on utter ****.

Don't blame the manager, blame the hand he's been dealt but the people running my club.

I think he's a cracking coach with a good idea of how to approach games - he's just been sold a dud with this utterly horrific squad, let's be honest.

I don't really rate Hoj, not a huge fan of Gunn. Betrand looks like he's had enough, JWP continues to flatter under any manager he ever plays for. Romeu is decent, but not top level.

We just don't have top level players anymore, it's a cobbled together bunch of has beans and average players and there's no intention to improve on that because we've wasted so much money on utter ****.

Don't blame the manager, blame the hand he's been dealt but the people running my club.

We are still suffering from the bloated squad resulting from the last few managers. Unfortunately we have got rid of the players that were wanted by other clubs and we are left with the ones we couldn’t sell or loan.

Fair point............but Ralph has to take some blame for his weird team selections ....tactics and subs ... What about Stuart Armstrong being given a run in the team ? Never really been given a chance to play in his best position and he can score goals from midfield ...not like the 3 plodders wre have in at the side at the moment .

As his honeymoon period is officially over let's list his strengths & weaknesses before we go rushing for the divorce papers

STRENGTHS

Allegedly good at improving mediocre/average players

Allegedly plays football the right way pressing the opponent's with a high tempo high energy exciting game

Most players seem to respect him

Seems a honest guy

Potentially a loyal person

Is not pelligrino

Is not Allardyce

WEAKNESSES

Seems to have a Lack of defensive knowledge

Regularly plays players out of position

Known to drop better performing players for no reason

Could be a one trick high press pony, doesn't seem to have another plan to turn to when things aren't working

Doesn't seem to have any tactical nous with substitutions or with formations

Doesn't seem aware of his own mistakes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

He comes across as a good coach but a good coach should be getting the best out of a team and players and it was painfully obvious today that those on the pitch have not improved, seemed devoid of ideas or tactical nous.

A good coach improves, motivates and encourages.

Can anyone honestly say things are actually improving after two months of the season?

Aside from the baffling defensive lineups, the biggest problem I can see is that the players who seemed to instantly improve after Ralph's arrival last season all appear to have regressed badly to their old selves.

Redmond, JWP, Hoj, Bednarek - they all seem to be playing well below what we know they are capable of. Manager has to take a large slice of the responsibility for that IMO.

The only players who have really given a decent account of themselves so far this season are Romeu, Ings and Djenepo in his brief appearances (bloody typical that as soon as we unearth a player who looks like he might actually be a PL quality attacker, he gets himself injured straight away). Everyone else has been sub par.

Is the squad really that bad though? outside of the big six and maybe Leicester west ham wolves and Everton (who have all shown more ambition and spent more money) would you really say our squad is that bad compared with the rest of the teams? .

Agree with the part about we have no absolute top level players left but this is a result of selling all our stars to Liverpool etc and now we haven’t been able to replace them this is the result of that, like I was saying in a another post the other day we have kinda stood still around the 15-20m mark of signing players whilst likes of West Ham Leicester even wolves palace etc will pay more . So if our 15 m buys our hit and miss and we keep selling the hits it’s gonna end up this way.

Our defence has been a mess for ages and in two seasons to rectify this we have brought in vestergaard and danso lol so it’s not really looking like turning around any time soon

Is the squad really that bad though? outside of the big six and maybe Leicester west ham wolves and Everton (who have all shown more ambition and spent more money) would you really say our squad is that bad compared with the rest of the teams? .

Agree with the part about we have no absolute top level players left but this is a result of selling all our stars to Liverpool etc and now we haven’t been able to replace them this is the result of that, like I was saying in a another post the other day we have kinda stood still around the 15-20m mark of signing players whilst likes of West Ham Leicester even wolves palace etc will pay more . So if our 15 m buys our hit and miss and we keep selling the hits it’s gonna end up this way.

Our defence has been a mess for ages and in two seasons to rectify this we have brought in vestergaard and danso lol so it’s not really looking like turning around any time soon

I think you've answered your own question there.

I suspect that of our established players (i.e. not including Djenepo, Danso and Adams) the only player we have that most rival fans would definitely put in their first team is Redmond, with Sheffield United and Newcastle fans probably persuadable on Ings. I suppose a couple of others might also consider Romeu and Bertrand, but they're certainly not shoo-ins.

He comes across as a good coach but a good coach should be getting the best out of a team and players and it was painfully obvious today that those on the pitch have not improved, seemed devoid of ideas or tactical nous.

A good coach improves, motivates and encourages.

Can anyone honestly say things are actually improving after two months of the season?

This

I suspect that of our established players (i.e. not including Djenepo, Danso and Adams) the only player we have that most rival fans would definitely put in their first team is Redmond, with Sheffield United and Newcastle fans probably persuadable on Ings. I suppose a couple of others might also consider Romeu and Bertrand, but they're certainly not shoo-ins.

Actually I think jwp -the myth of him anyway would have a lot of takers if we are talking players other premier league clubs and fans wouldn’t mind having.. think he has a lot of people fooled bar the saints fans who have to watch him every week .. people see the beckham esque technique and hear the hype and believe it.. look at the way the sky commentary and pundits always big him up..

By top level though I was meaning more like when we used to have the mane and van dijk, lallana alderweireld etc really top class players big six clubs would go for... of our lot only maybe boufal and djenepo are probably capable

To be honest I’m starting to feel on the fence with Ralph it’s probably worth giving him some more time but I’m starting to wonder about him. Quite a lot of strange decisions coming from him really packed off Cedric on loan last season with the excuse of throwing valery constant game time.. now Cedric has came back and it seems to be valery finding it hard to make the team..

Then we have the weird team selections this year playing full backs on the opposite sides. Dropping boufal who had been our most consistently decent performer this season. If you make decisions like this and they pay off suppose you gotta say fair play but they haven’t and have contributed to lost points and worse performances..

Also think Ralph needs to take some responsibility for the danso situation I don’t know whether he knew of him himself with the Austrian bundesLiga connections or he was found by scouts and Ralph just ok’d the deal, but either way this was a priority position Ralph should of been bashing recruitments door down for a centre back so for him to probably ok this deal and now doesn’t see danso good enough to play over our absolute shower of s**t at centre back is extremely strange especially when he is thrown in at lb and rb instead.

Last thing is the pressing game really working for us currently at times it seems when teams break through the intitial pressing it actually leaves our already shocking defence horribly exposed, are we carrying out these tactics well enough and do we have the personnel to play this approach ?? I’m kind of in two minds right now

Last thing is the pressing game really working for us currently at times it seems when teams break through the intitial pressing it actually leaves our already shocking defence horribly exposed, are we carrying out these tactics well enough and do we have the personnel to play this approach ?? I’m kind of in two minds right now

No we don't. Our midfield of Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse doesn't have a lick of pace between them. Once you break the press, that's it - the middle of the park is wide open and the triumvirate of slugs can't get back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

No we don't. Our midfield of Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse doesn't have a lick of pace between them. Once you break the press, that's it - the middle of the park is wide open and the triumvirate of slugs can't get back.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Triumvirate, great word, had to look it up though.

It’s not Ralph...or at least with the squad at his disposal it’s not obvious he’s the problem.

The squad is like an emulsion or whey that’s nearing the end of its settling period. The cream has been rising to the top and has been regularly scraped off and sold to the highest bidder. The vat has been topped up with skimmed milk and now, eventually all that’s left in the vat is a diluted, watery mess that is a pale imitation of the rich product of 3-4 years ago.

Les Reed and Woss have milked their cash cow and now all that’s left for Ralph are a set of dried up, sore and barren teats.:lol:

The problem I'm starting to see with RH besides the obvious lack of knowledge around his best team, defence & substitutions is that he will often decide a player isn't good enough & has no future in his team without giving them a fair chance & seems he will fall out with them if they disagree about any of his methods whatsoever.

That said I know he is our best bet for the level we are at, no one's going to be begging to come to Saints especially when their hands would be so tied regarding transfers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

the lack of pace in the middle i hope is clear as daylight to ralph, just as the lack of it was obvious at cb. problem is danso was brought in to address this very obvious problem. the same danso who played at full back at first for no apparent reason and is currently rotting on the bench for consecutive games. Very mind boggling IMO. if he played and failed to impress at cb, we would have had an idea of why he would be benched. but he hasn't played at cb since coming in. why would you bench a player you signed to fix a problem position without trying him in said position.

as for the midfield, trying armstrong instead of jwp seems the only personnel change we could make. apart fron that a change of approach is probs the way to go to fix that issue. encouraging hoj to be more proactive in linking the mid and attack with more forward passes and more vertical runs while dropping rom closer to the cbs is IMO the way to go.

A disturbing article in today's Echo. We are working on trying to improve our goals scored coached by set piece coach Dave Watson allied to Hasenhuttl's endorsement of the JWP expertise at dead ball situations.

If that's their approach they are ****ing idiots, believing in a myth that has produced one penalty goal combined with pedestrian performances littered with mistakes and lacking any awareness. If JWP is the answer, God knows what the question is. We are in deeper mire than was first thought. More of the same is relegation form.

I am used to watching our club rise and fall repeatedly. Again and again a weak team without possessing leaders is main fault. Last summer we needed to add a spine to our team. We failed miserably even though possible candidates were available.

We bring in Adams, Djenepo and Danso, and we still wait for some physical strength to be added. Djenepo looks like he could be a useful addition if he can stay injury free. Danso has surely to be given time to settle, as either defensive midfield player or cb. Only way top see if he is up to the task. Adams looks keen but I am waiting to see a striker appear from within him.

if we are going to go under then we need to see players that will fight and sadly we appear to have nobody of that ilk.

In Boufal we have a player that could do a lot to ease our situation but he seems to be only a bit part player, why? JWP gets game time weekly without earning it.

We need fighters to help steer our ship away from the rocks in the relegation zone as I can't see us bouncing back quickly if we go down.

He's a nice bloke and a fairly competent manager, but not even Pep could have saved this team from relegation this season. Ralph cannot be blamed solely for our bottom 3 finish, many others have played their part in our relegation. It started with Puel and hasn't improved at all since then.

The Championship will be fun next season, no doubt, but should we drop again to League 1 then it's going to be a long old way back.

I am used to watching our club rise and fall repeatedly. Again and again a weak team without possessing leaders is main fault. Last summer we needed to add a spine to our team. We failed miserably even though possible candidates were available.

We bring in Adams, Djenepo and Danso, and we still wait for some physical strength to be added. Djenepo looks like he could be a useful addition if he can stay injury free. Danso has surely to be given time to settle, as either defensive midfield player or cb. Only way top see if he is up to the task. Adams looks keen but I am waiting to see a striker appear from within him.

if we are going to go under then we need to see players that will fight and sadly we appear to have nobody of that ilk.

In Boufal we have a player that could do a lot to ease our situation but he seems to be only a bit part player, why? JWP gets game time weekly without earning it.

We need fighters to help steer our ship away from the rocks in the relegation zone as I can't see us bouncing back quickly if we go down.

The thing that ****es me off most about JWP is him going on the media to tell us what we have to do to become a better team. He has absolutely no self awareness hence despite endless opportunities has failed to improve since his debut.

The thing that ****es me off most about JWP is him going on the media to tell us what we have to do to become a better team. He has absolutely no self awareness hence despite endless opportunities has failed to improve since his debut.

well, we can't sell him as i doubt that despite some pundits and match commentators speaking of him as an heir apparent to david beckham, most managers realize he offers very little apart from slightly decent corners and 1 in 15 of his free kicks troubling the keeper. so there would be no takers if we put him up for sale.