Winnie the Pooh says #GaoOut

benjii

I’d rather a local business man who has less money, but at least has tye clubs best interests take over.

Gao bought the club for pro rata £260m. How many local businessmen can get remotely near that kind of price?

Even in the Championship, with the assets it has and the parachute payments the club is worth a lot more than most local businessmen fans can afford.

Gao bought the club for pro rata £260m. How many local businessmen can get remotely near that kind of price?

Even in the Championship, with the assets it has and the parachute payments the club is worth a lot more than most local businessmen fans can afford.

It will be worth less than Bury with the ridiculous high earners we won’t be able to shift and the hundreds of millions leveraged against it because of Gao.

Also, given the obvious similarity between 'Gao' and 'go' (as well as 'goa') why not: "Gao away", "Gao now", "Be-gaone", "Gao back to Goa" (most people aren't too fussed with geographical peculiarities), etc?? Alternatively can't someone just burn a flag of him and the Chinese Flag together on television? I would have thought that would have meant he would leave in about 3 seconds flat although it might backfire and you'd need a fire extinguisher nearby for safety reasons. There must be a multitude of ways to get him to sell to an American owner who wants a franchise abroad. These days I don't see any decent prosepective owners anywhere, I'm afraid.

I have to plead ignorance and ask the reason for it having to be Winnie the Pooh. Then I think it's honey pots all round, yes.

China banned Winnie the Pooh after some people decided the chinese president looked like Master Pooh and he was mocked online.

The theory is nobody does anything in China without political consent, if Gaos actions result in the President being mocked he'll be skating on very thin ice and maybe made to sell up.

Who does Winnie the Pooh plan to replace Gao with?

Biggest complaint about Gao appears to me that he won't invest his own money. If he had pumped £300m of his own cash into transfers it wouldn't surprise me that Saints fans would happily turn a blind eye to his dodgy background. City fans being an obvious example of this.

It will cost £200m min to buy the club plus £50m towards transfer every year so around £500m cash available. So anyone who buys us will been to be worth a £1b at least unless they are an idiot and prepared to risk over half their fortune on us. Forbes estimate that there are 2200 billionaires in the world of which 20% are chinese. (according to Wikepedia anyway!!). So not many potential buyers out there at all unless it is nation state or a consortium of investors can be cobbled together. Pretty sure KL didn't have many other offers to chose from and Ashley has been trying to flog newcastle for years.

So would fans be happy with someone who doesn't invest their own cash but appears to show a bit more interest / has a reputable background / is local etc?

I think there is a lot dodgy about him and his dubious past so would rather we had someone else but who? If it is proved (and the last accounts suggest otherwise) that he is using the club to line his own pockets then he needs to go. Otherwise we are stuck with him.

Biggest complaint about Gao appears to me that he won't invest his own money. If he had pumped £300m of his own cash into transfers it wouldn't surprise me that Saints fans would happily turn a blind eye to his dodgy background. City fans being an obvious example of this.

It will cost £200m min to buy the club plus £50m towards transfer every year so around £500m cash available. So anyone who buys us will been to be worth a £1b at least unless they are an idiot and prepared to risk over half their fortune on us. Forbes estimate that there are 2200 billionaires in the world of which 20% are chinese. (according to Wikepedia anyway!!). So not many potential buyers out there at all unless it is nation state or a consortium of investors can be cobbled together. Pretty sure KL didn't have many other offers to chose from and Ashley has been trying to flog newcastle for years.

So would fans be happy with someone who doesn't invest their own cash but appears to show a bit more interest / has a reputable background / is local etc?

I think there is a lot dodgy about him and his dubious past so would rather we had someone else but who? If it is proved (and the last accounts suggest otherwise) that he is using the club to line his own pockets then he needs to go. Otherwise we are stuck with him.

I'm happy with someone not pumping money in if they can show me:

a) they give a flying duck about the team

b) their motives are sound and in-line with sporting success

c) they have some sort of plan or competence.

Not really. It’s not about pumping money into the club indefinitely. It’s about being strategic and flexible. Additional short-term investment is required to weather the storm for the next couple of seasons as we shift deadwood, unwind previous mistakes and free up resources. After that point, hopefully, things will stabilise. Let’s also be clear: investment is not an act of charity - leaving aside the potential profitability of player trading, the franchise value of being in the PL has only gone up over time, so as long as we’re in the PL, Goa stands to benefit.

Edited by shurlock

....The theory is nobody does anything in China without political consent, if Gaos actions result in the President being mocked he'll be skating on very thin ice and maybe made to sell up.

You really think this? Honestly? Just not true. There are thousands of people round the world from China doing just what they want, thanks very much

You really think this? Honestly? Just not true. There are thousands of people round the world from China doing just what they want, thanks very much

When they are mainland-based and their company has just been subject to a hostile takeover by the state and they weren’t allowed to take their own cash out of the country, I think it’s fair to assume there is a level of government scrutiny here. I doubt they were too chuffed about a pretty nondescript businessman with limited financial clout owning such a high-profile asset overseas.

Simply because she is now the minor partner and apparently wants to off load her remaining 20% . Gao with his 80% is calling the shots.

Doesn't seem to be calling many shots to me. She is still clearly highly influential, and her judgement and influence is dangerously ill advised. She got us into the mess in the first place

Why is it so difficult for Saints fans to understand that if you invest in good players you do well, and if you invest in bad players you do badly. People are to blame but it's not an exact science and a lot of those people have left. We've invested plenty - we invest in a new manager every season for f*ck sake. Only a complete mug would dig an even bigger hole. Saints fans may want a nice friendly, cuddly owner that's going to tell them everything is going to be ok but sometimes a period of tough love is what is required.

Why is it so difficult for Saints fans to understand that if you invest in good players you do well, and if you invest in bad players you do badly. People are to blame but it's not an exact science and a lot of those people have left. We've invested plenty - we invest in a new manager every season for f*ck sake. Only a complete mug would dig an even bigger hole. Saints fans may want a nice friendly, cuddly owner that's going to tell them everything is going to be ok but sometimes a period of tough love is what is required.

You are of course correct but whist we’ve spent money we’ve only spent what we’ve made from sales, when it worked well it was brilliant and I’m delighted with that model, sell Lallana, buy Mane, sell Lovren by Van dijk both for half the price, love it. But now when there are glaring holes in our squad and we still have to sell to buy, but the difference is we can’t sell, quite rightly saints fans are now asking how it is that Newcastle, Brighton, Bournemouth, palace etc can all spend tens of millions more than they’ve earned. I’ve not seen in person give a credible reason, it gets put down as agents fees and bonuses which is quite frankly utter sh*t as every other club had to pay them as well.

Winnie the Pooh could probably afford to buy Gao out with the royalties he has earned over the years.

Any Southampton fan with £300 million to spare could probably buy him out

The totally pointless calls for Gao to go irritate me almost as much as the fact that he owns our club

Winnie the Pooh could probably afford to buy Gao out with the royalties he has earned over the years.

Any Southampton fan with £300 million to spare could probably buy him out

The totally pointless calls for Gao to go irritate me almost as much as the fact that he owns our club

What's pointless about it? It's worth it simply to have your say, if nothing else. You can quietly get mugged off if you like.