Saints vs Palace - Build-up

SuperSAINT

Obafemi has his tail up and is full of confidence - put him up top with Ings and Redmond. Keep Armstrong in the midfield with JWP and Hojberg. Defence picks itself. Would like to say we can win this, but it’s at home and Palace under Woy have been very good in attack....just the kind of players we panic against. Wouldn’t like to predict it, but love a 3-1 home win to cap a great festive season of footie.

I think we have Ings and Adams up top this game. Whilst Obafemi got the goal, getting goals is not what we need with Ings in the team, Adams was a more well rounded player and held the ball up very well which we have been crying out for of late.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Going to be a tough game this, Palace are good away from home and play counter attacking style that we struggle with at St Mary's, I'd definitely take a draw.

Looking at the upcoming fixtures hopefully we can replicate the same results as last season (Palace H drew, Spurs H won, Leicester A won, Wolves H won, Palace A won) , 13 points and safe by end of Jan if we did that.

We are still the worst team in the league at home and they are very good away, would probably take a point.

3 wins in a row just seems unlikely as well, we had a chance for it 'on paper' against Newcastle and mucked it up and fell we might do the same here.

Right, treat this like an away game. Play to our strengths.

Keep our shape, let them come at us (Which will be their inclination with Zaha down the wing, even though they enjoy countering just as much as we do). Keep things tight, when they start getting confident hit them on the break.

I would take a point.

I wouldn't settle for a point. I think Saints have finally broken through to a new level.

We have players playing in position.

A defense rapidly growing in confidence: bravo to you Jack Stephens.

In our midfield, JWP and Armstrong have broken through to a whole new level of authority.

Redmond and Boufal (and Djen) can be game-winners.

Our high-press has become more sophisticated and is scaring opponents.

And then there's the amazingness of Danny Ings and the feeling that both Obafemi and Adams are getting close to prime time.

In short: we're safer at the back, more vibrant midfield, and we're scoring goals. I think we'll finally bring greater confidence to St Mary's and deliver a convincing home performance.

Main wild-card is how the two teams react to the ridiculously short turn-round time.

But I think there's strong evidence that we belong above mid-table, and this is a game we can confidently plan to win.

Right, treat this like an away game. Play to our strengths.

Keep our shape, let them come at us (Which will be their inclination with Zaha down the wing, even though they enjoy countering just as much as we do). Keep things tight, when they start getting confident hit them on the break.

I would take a point.

Agree with all you say...except that last line. :) If we can get a win here as well, I think we can relax for a while.

Indeed, hopefully they will come at us, and we can hit them on the break, like we play away from home. We have pace in our side for quick breaks. Really looking forward to SMS on Saturday now. Haven't felt that way in a while.

We’ve broken one hoodoo we’ve had since the last Koeman season let’s break another... we haven’t won 3 Premier League games in a row since the Koeman days. What a way to end 2019 it would be if we could.

Cracking goal by Ayew yesterday to rival either of ours for goal of the month. Should be a good game.

Would play Ings, Boufal, Redmond and obafemi for this one.

Would be tempted to play Romeu for either Ward Prowse or Hojbjerg depending on how they are feeling.

Didn’t Ralph say that Obafemi would not be playing due to them managing his body conditioning to prevent more (hamstring) injuries?

Didn’t Ralph say that Obafemi would not be playing due to them managing his body conditioning to prevent more (hamstring) injuries?

I posted that before he said it.

It will maybe be Adams Redmond Boufal and Ings

I can also see Moussa getting some action today.

He was in the training pics on christmas day

I wouldn't settle for a point. I think Saints have finally broken through to a new level.

We have players playing in position.

A defense rapidly growing in confidence: bravo to you Jack Stephens.

In our midfield, JWP and Armstrong have broken through to a whole new level of authority.

Redmond and Boufal (and Djen) can be game-winners.

Our high-press has become more sophisticated and is scaring opponents.

And then there's the amazingness of Danny Ings and the feeling that both Obafemi and Adams are getting close to prime time.

In short: we're safer at the back, more vibrant midfield, and we're scoring goals. I think we'll finally bring greater confidence to St Mary's and deliver a convincing home performance.

Main wild-card is how the two teams react to the ridiculously short turn-round time.

But I think there's strong evidence that we belong above mid-table, and this is a game we can confidently plan to win.

Absolutely this. I can see us winning this one today 2-0 :) COYR

I wouldn't be surprised if RH plays with the same team as against Aston Villa, becauser: RH is known for his tough training sessions, more intensive than a game; instead of 2 training sessions they play a full game. So no big difference. Of course taking into account injuries and physical situations.

Unpredictable game this given the tight turnaround between games.

I reckon Ralph would like to play same team as Chelsea game except Ings in for Obafemi. But will depend on how players have recovered so may see Boufal or Romeu getting a start if some are viewed as too fatigued.

Redmond could be a key man today I think. Confidence is key for him so that goal in last game should give him a big boost for this one.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Palace have quite a nasty injury list, especially in defence so they might give away chances. But that also might make them play very defensively and we'll then probably struggle to break them down, they then have Zaha as a threat on the break and Ayew is also playing pretty well as well.

We'll also have to see whether we can maintain the same level of intensity, must have been a hard game at Chelsea, we had barely 1/3rd of the ball so players like JWP and Hojberg put in a lot of distance.

Can easily see us huffing and puffing all afternoon against a defensive palace, not having enough tempo because the team is knackered and them nicking a 1-0 on the break.

Edited by tajjuk

Interesting.

Didn't expect that, even though the rotation makes sense.... Feel a bit for Armstrong but he may be feeling the effects of his exertions two days ago. Hopefully Roy didn't see this teamsheet coming either.

Suspect it's purely down to condition of players.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Oh Christ ...has Ralph got cocky and gone back to thinking he’s the master tactician.

I’m hoping he’s got this right.

Fine margins and all that.

Armstrong had been a revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that two games in three days is too much of a physical stretch for Armstrong. He’s had a lot of injuries this season. So unlikely to be tactical, more of a forced choice.

Obviously the main idea behind rotation is managing the players' condition, but given that I think it makes more sense to play Armstrong away at Chelsea and Boufal at home to Palace because of the way the opposition set up. Armstrong is an asset playing on the counter because of his directness, but when teams sit deep and are happy to defend you often need a piece of individual skill to unlock them, which Boufal offers.