Charlie Austin

LegalEagle

Unfortunately Charlie is a busted flush and apart from running round a lot more in comparison, so is Shane Long.

The latter's header from a cross in the second half which more or less hit his foot shows what a goal threat he is.

Sam Gallagher must either be injured or not showing up very well in training not to be given a go at a time when Ralph H is prepared to blood youngsters coming thro the U23's.

I think we need to replace our entire strike force in the summer, with the only exception being Ings but then his injury record makes him unreliable too.

Just looking back through our results and Long's goal against Leicester is still the only one scored by one of our strikers so far in 2019 :scared:

I think we need to replace our entire strike force in the summer, with the only exception being Ings but then his injury record makes him unreliable too.

Agreed on all parts of that.

Just looking back through our results and Long's goal against Leicester is still the only one scored by one of our strikers so far in 2019 :scared:

As the games have gone on recently, I wondered that myself earlier, after seeing Redmond / JWP / Valery & even Romeu (!) chipping in.

That is a very bold statement. How much do you think that it would cost to do that? The one player I would argue that you cannot budget for playing regular football is Ings. Long can have a role to play, we looked much better when he was on the field yesterday. As for Austin; he is what he is; reads the game well and you have to look at his goal scoring record - like Ings though you cannot really plan for him to play regularly. Realistically we should be in the market for one striker.

That is a very bold statement. How much do you think that it would cost to do that? The one player I would argue that you cannot budget for playing regular football is Ings. Long can have a role to play, we looked much better when he was on the field yesterday. As for Austin; he is what he is; reads the game well and you have to look at his goal scoring record - like Ings though you cannot really plan for him to play regularly. Realistically we should be in the market for one striker.

1. Just how bad does Long have to get before you’d say he isn’t good enough? He’s a 2 goal a season striker who runs around offside and falls over in his marker farts too hard.

2. What about it? It’s terrible.

Neither Long nor Austin is a Premier League player.

1. Just how bad does Long have to get before you’d say he isn’t good enough? He’s a 2 goal a season striker who runs around offside and falls over in his marker farts too hard.

2. What about it? It’s terrible.

Neither Long nor Austin is a Premier League player.

How much is your budget to rectify the fact that our strikers are average? That is a good starting point when you are assessing your options.

How much is your budget to rectify the fact that our strikers are average? That is a good starting point when you are assessing your options.

In fairness, you wouldn't necessarily need to break the bank in order to get players significantly better than what we already have.

We know that we were looking at Che Adams in January, and he is described as talented but very raw. We didn't meet the asking price but he'll go somewhere for around £20m in the summer. A signing like that is by far a better long term option than either Long or Austin, and is not a huge sum of money in today's market.

I guess it all hinges on us getting decent-ish fees for Cedric, Hoedt, Carillo and/or Boufal (who I still believe could be of some use to us in Ralph's system next season if we can't offload him).

Austin is finished at PL level and I doubt would be overly great in the Championship - his fitness is poor.

Long is the same as ever - poor but will run.

Damning for Gallagher that he still isn't an option ahead of these two.

Hopefully we can get rid of all 3 in the summer.

What I am saying is that it is stating the obvious that our strikers are not delivering, I just wish people would put forward credible solutions. These would be in the context of how much we have to spend, the wages we can offer and how they might fit into the dressing room. I personally agree that Che Adams would be a good call but it would be naive to think that we are the only ones that are looking for a silver bullet for our goal scoring shortfalls. That probably pushes the price up to £25-30m and £80K a week. I expect that is still possible but we would likely miss out. You still need back up and either Long or Austin probably fit the bill as second tier strikers.

What I am saying is that it is stating the obvious that our strikers are not delivering, I just wish people would put forward credible solutions. These would be in the context of how much we have to spend, the wages we can offer and how they might fit into the dressing room. I personally agree that Che Adams would be a good call but it would be naive to think that we are the only ones that are looking for a silver bullet for our goal scoring shortfalls. That probably pushes the price up to £25-30m and £80K a week. I expect that is still possible but we would likely miss out. You still need back up and either Long or Austin probably fit the bill as second tier strikers.

Get rid of them. Literally give them away to any club they can agree terms with, even if we have to pay some of their wages for another year.

Right now, a mediocre, underwhelming striker would be a big upgrade on the pair of them. I’m not asking for 20 goals a season. 10 would at least be something. Given that we are welded firmly to the top of the net spend League, it might actually be time for one of our owners to put their hand in their pocket. Not getting my hopes up but someone has to do something.

Get rid of them. Literally give them away to any club they can agree terms with, even if we have to pay some of their wages for another year.

Right now, a mediocre, underwhelming striker would be a big upgrade on the pair of them. I’m not asking for 20 goals a season. 10 would at least be something. Given that we are welded firmly to the top of the net spend League, it might actually be time for one of our owners to put their hand in their pocket. Not getting my hopes up but someone has to do something.

i would argue that big spending rarely yields results on the field.

i would argue that big spending rarely yields results on the field.

Not big but correct. We should be trying to recruit the next Mané, Tadič and Pellè, not sticking with 2 dreadful players.

Not spending money will see us end up with another Djuricic or Mayuka.

• 3 years later...

Why is this t**t suddenly piping up, for someone who hates us all he does is talk about us.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-summer-transfer-midfielder-7003650 (quotes below):

James Ward-Prowse’s former Southampton teammate Charlie Austin has advised the midfielder to leave the club this summer, suggesting Leicester City as a potential destination.

“Over the last two years he’s been club captain, he’s cemented himself in there, but certainly now, I think it’s time to leave,” he told TalkSPORT.

“This is why, because I think if he wants to go to the World Cup, he needs to be at a different football club than what Southampton are offering, the way they’re performing. I just think he’s more appealing if he’s at a different club.”

The former striker then names a list of clubs who would be a good move for him: “I do think that he would fit in at an Arsenal, or a Leicester or Newcastle. Newcastle are on a re-build, the way they’re going, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’d thrown the dice at him.”

Austin then responded to a question on if City was a step up from Southampton: “Oh, mate, look where Leicester are and look where Southampton are,” he said.

“Southampton since Ronald Koeman was there and they got in Europe, since then they’ve been on a downward spiral. If you have that conversation, Leicester are in a European competition.”

That’s Leicester who despite spending vast sums of money more than us are only 2 points better off in the League. And the European competition they’re in is hardly the Champions League.

I’ll give him Newcastle. They may want to splash the cash on the best players they can get. But I’m not sure JWP would fancy a move to the other side of the country... I get the feeling he’s comfortable here hence the new contract.

Still, Nothing to do with Austin. I’m surprised he hasn’t been employed by TalkSport yet.

37 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Why is this t**t suddenly piping up, for someone who hates us all he does is talk about us.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-summer-transfer-midfielder-7003650 (quotes below):

James Ward-Prowse’s former Southampton teammate Charlie Austin has advised the midfielder to leave the club this summer, suggesting Leicester City as a potential destination.

“Over the last two years he’s been club captain, he’s cemented himself in there, but certainly now, I think it’s time to leave,” he told TalkSPORT.

“This is why, because I think if he wants to go to the World Cup, he needs to be at a different football club than what Southampton are offering, the way they’re performing. I just think he’s more appealing if he’s at a different club.”

The former striker then names a list of clubs who would be a good move for him: “I do think that he would fit in at an Arsenal, or a Leicester or Newcastle. Newcastle are on a re-build, the way they’re going, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’d thrown the dice at him.”

Austin then responded to a question on if City was a step up from Southampton: “Oh, mate, look where Leicester are and look where Southampton are,” he said.

“Southampton since Ronald Koeman was there and they got in Europe, since then they’ve been on a downward spiral. If you have that conversation, Leicester are in a European competition.”

he’s obviously a bitter man and on a huge wind up, but In fairness, he’s not wrong here. 

Leicester and Newcastle would be a step up from us. If he wants to cement himself as an England regular, he does need to be competing at the top level (I.e in Europe) and we have been on a downward spiral since koeman. 

40 minutes ago, nta786 said:

"Oh mate..."

Perpetually thick as mince our Chazza.  Strip away the stardust and Armani and you are left with a dinlo hod-carrier from Hungerford. 

• Like 1

If I ever need career advice, Charlie Austin is the first guy I call...from Swindon to Burnley, he's seen it all.

The way he's lurched from one club to the next, never being wanted anywhere long enough to achieve anything, yes, Charlie's the perfect role model for any young pro looking to break through on the international stage in 2022.

When Charlie speaks, the world listens.

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Dman said:

he’s obviously a bitter man and on a huge wind up, but In fairness, he’s not wrong here. 

Leicester and Newcastle would be a step up from us. If he wants to cement himself as an England regular, he does need to be competing at the top level (I.e in Europe) and we have been on a downward spiral since koeman. 

See I disagree, in terms of wages sure they’ll possibly pay more?

I’d like to think JWP is on around £100k anyway with his new contract so it wouldn’t be that much more surely?

However I don’t think both are a step up from us, sure Leicester have had European football last 2/3 years but they don’t have the big 6 revenue size to fund it consistently… and then the cycle continues

It was us between 2014-16, Leicester between 2019 to now, WHU from 2020-now…

Wolves had two 7th place finishes too.

Just the cycle for clubs outside the top 6. 

Unless Leicester win the new ECL, there is no Europe for them next year.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

He’s been incredibly bitter since he was dropped and let go. Bloke is a c*nt 

I don't disagree but he might be right if ward prowse wants to go to the world Cup 

I'm not sure that a move from us would help his World Cup chances. For us he is the main man. We play to his strengths and he gets noticed. If he moves he will have to find a place in his new team and hope that his style of play fits them. 

Look at Ings. If he had stayed here I would guess that he would now be in contention for a World Cup place. As it is , nowadays he isn't certain of s place in his Premier League side.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I don't disagree but he might be right if ward prowse wants to go to the world Cup 

The things is, there are several examples of players leaving Saints for bigger clubs where it hasn't worked out (and, yes, of course, the opposite is true as well). It doesn't automatically follow that his chances of making the world cup squad increase if he makes a move to a bigger club. If anything, it could be argued that it's a bigger risk going to a bigger club as there's less chance he'll be a regular starter.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Anyone who doesn’t think Leicester is a step up is deluded. 

They are bland, and as Vardy is nearly finished they are floundering. I dont believe that it is a jump up at all. Their manager is on thin ice, so he may not be there soon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I'm not sure that a move from us would help his World Cup chances. For us he is the main man. We play to his strengths and he gets noticed. If he moves he will have to find a place in his new team and hope that his style of play fits them. 

Look at Ings. If he had stayed here I would guess that he would now be in contention for a World Cup place. As it is , nowadays he isn't certain of s place in his Premier League side.  

This may be true but will it be part of JWPs reckoning, most players moving to a new team will back themselves to make it. Ings would have thought he could go to Villa and score like he did here, JWP will be the same.

To be fair he is one of the more sensible speakers on talk sport, and lets be honest he probably does have a point there really isn't a need to get hyperbolic about it, we're going to finish in the bottom half of the prem again after another season of inconsistency and yet another season that included a couple of drubbings

All that said.... I have it on very very good authority that the bloke fucking despises us, which is why he over emphasises any point that enables him to twist the knife

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Depends upon his ambitions, there is nothing else for him here except a long service medal and an ornamental clock.

And all the freekicks he wants to take whereas he might be fighting the likes of Kieran Tripper or Aaron Cresswell depending on where he goes.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think the big club bias with England is more that sh*t players at big clubs DO get picked, rather than good players and smaller clubs not getting picked, see Calum Chambers, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverly for examples.

Its very easy to explain when you apply a bit of coaching logic to it

International football gives you very very little time to actually coach phases of play and tactical intricacies as well as allow players the time to 'gel' this isn't a 5 a side tournament where your mate brings a ringer along and you just get on with it

International coaches, in the main, pick players from top clubs that; Play in top level competitions, play similar tactics to those employed, are already used to playing with each other

This is why we see these pockets of players being picked with the odd outlying 1 or 2 that arguably have better alternatives at lesser clubs picked

It is annoying but a perfectly valid strategy for top international sides to employ, especially England where the majority of the squad plays within the Premier league

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its very easy to explain when you apply a bit of coaching logic to it

International football gives you very very little time to actually coach phases of play and tactical intricacies as well as allow players the time to 'gel' this isn't a 5 a side tournament where your mate brings a ringer along and you just get on with it

International coaches, in the main, pick players from top clubs that; Play in top level competitions, play similar tactics to those employed, are already used to playing with each other

This is why we see these pockets of players being picked with the odd outlying 1 or 2 that arguably have better alternatives at lesser clubs picked

It is annoying but a perfectly valid strategy for top international sides to employ, especially England where the majority of the squad plays within the Premier league

All Premier League clubs play in a top level competition. I get the need to stick to a familiar and consistent nucleus of players but all that means is that the same ones will be picked regularly with less interest in form fluctuations. It doesn't mean anyone from a smaller club can't get selected if they're consistently performing well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Am not sure it really matters from an England perspective what club JWP is at. It's not as if Southgate doesn't know what he is all about.

Yep. And does playing at Leicester really show him in a different light? No for me.

If he went to a CL side and did the business in CL games/and games against the other big sides n the Prem that would certainly help give him the profile needed to secure a starting spot for England

• Like 1

Danny Ings loved us and moved to a big club where he could win things and his career has gone from strength to strength - he's back in the England team, winning silverware, looking forward to European football, staying fit and still in with half a chance of outscoring Bednarek this season.

• Haha 8