Pellegrino Sacked - Official

Katalinic

Was excited last night, much less so now after some thought and the prospect of us fannying around for the next few weeks, then getting a new man in just in time for us to be confirmed as relegated at Everton.

I can't remember such elation at the sacking of a Saints' manager since the Branfoot era. It was a sorry state for the club to have been in and, frankly, the fingers of blame might be better pointed at the senior management and owners who inflicted on the supporters two seasons of the most tedious football I can remember in over 50 years by the appointments of Puel and Pellegrino. I am slightly nervous about who the replacement might be but surely it cannot be any worse. Can it?

Can't say that i'm not glad to see the back of him and hopefully the dour way we have been playing for the past year or so (including the dreadful end of season run under Puel).

I'm not too confident though that Uncle Les and Co will do a great job of picking his replacement - but I'd be happy if we went for Bilic. Bilic has something about him which will shake up the squad which is needed.

I'm finding it hard to get to excited about MoPe going until I see who the replacement is. I have the feeling we will **** it up some how. Long term I think the squad needs major surgery to get us back on track but right now we just need someone to give us one of those new manager bounces for a few points.

Not convinced by silva, he seems a divisive character and I don’t think we need that at the moment, also his record at Hull was crap, 3 points from safety when he arrived,6 points from safety when he left.

We need somebody that can make an impact quickly and can kick some ass but won’t walk away at the end of the season.

Whats wrong with Mark Hughes or did I miss something?

managed over 450 games in Prem League, never been relegated, managed an international side, got an average Stoke team to 9th three seasons running but not good enough for Saints according to some !!

I don’t like him, never have, but beggars can’t be choosers and if he keeps us up who cares ?

I am as delighted as the rest of my fellow Saints fans that at LONG LONG last the board have acted.....too late?....we will see, but at least now i feel there is hope where there was none before.

My biggest fear now is who the replacement is....the news being touted about is they want the new guy in by the weekend, it's not Silva and they want a manager with Premiership experience....hmmmm

I don't want ANYONE but MP....so that includes Mark Hughes who i absolutely hate and don't want anywhere near our club....I honestly do not believe he is the answer (certainly not long term).

Who else?....well i'm struggling....but i do think they have already sounded out whoever it is!

managed over 450 games in Prem League, never byeen relegated, managed an international side, got an average Stoke team to 9th three seasons running but not good enough for Saints according to some !!

I don’t like him, never have, but beggars can’t be choosers and if he keeps us up who cares ?

He would have been relegated with both QPR and Stoke had he not been fired beforehand.

Know a bit about Hughes as my lads were at the academy & know plenty of Stoke fans.

I'm not sure it will be him. His record of promoting youth is very very poor. No players came through the ranks at Stoke when he was there.

He also has a thing for playing players out of position. Forwards as full backs, full backs as midfielders.

Stoke fans were desperate for him to go & believe the new manager has improved them.

Also still lives in the North West & he won't want to move.

Delighted Pellegrino has gone, but very concerned we will end up with the QPR Hughes...........

managed over 450 games in Prem League, never been relegated, managed an international side, got an average Stoke team to 9th three seasons running but not good enough for Saints according to some !!

In fairness the only reason he isn't being relegated with Stoke this season is because they sacked him for being ****. Having said that I'm not sure there are many options out there right now so I'd take him.

Not convinced by silva, he seems a divisive character and I don’t think we need that at the moment, also his record at Hull was crap, 3 points from safety when he arrived,6 points from safety when he left.

We need somebody that can make an impact quickly and can kick some ass but won’t walk away at the end of the season.

They had a fairly average squad... which is not to say ours is brilliant. But most of us have been arguing the line that this squad is too good to be relegated with a decent manager.

Now we might find out if that's the case. Although I think we're about 12 games too late.

In fairness the only reason he isn't being relegated with Stoke this season is because they sacked him for being ****. Having said that I'm not sure there are many options out there right now so I'd take him.
How many Swansea fans thought Carvalho was a good appointment after sacked by Wednesday. How many of us thought Redkrap would keep us up?

Just have to see if new man can get 3 wins from 8....not sure Houdini could do that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How many Swansea fans thought Carvalho was a good appointment after sacked by Wednesday. How many of us thought Redkrap would keep us up?

Just have to see if new man can get 3 wins from 8....not sure Houdini could do that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We just need the typical new manager bounce.

Knowing our luck, it won't happen lol

I dreamt last night Kelvin was in charge for the Wigan game, we were playing really attractive football, everything was great and then we went 1-0 down and Les quit at half time and for some reason the decision to appoint a new manager was left to Nigel Adkins and the crowd starred chanting "We want Adkins in" to which he smiled and shook his head. Then I woke up.

Nothing bizarre about it at all. Hughes has hardly inspired wherever he has been and I just don't like the person he is. Potter has achieved considerable success in Sweden and his methods appear to be innovative, with an ability to motivate his players. He's a bit left field, but I'd rather that than most of the potential ones on the list.

Nothing bizarre about it at all. Hughes has hardly inspired wherever he has been and I just don't like the person he is. Potter has achieved considerable success in Sweden and his methods appear to be innovative, with an ability to motivate his players. He's a bit left field, but I'd rather that than most of the potential ones on the list.

As long as we are prepared to accept relegation in the short term.

from ecstasy to depression within 10 hours. Hughes FFS.
Don't know what's wrong with some people. We have 8 games left in this terrible season. We will be pretty unnatractive to many candidates, we want Premier league experience and someone who has had a bit of success. Potter is too much of a gamble at this stage and other options people have named are unrealistic at this stage of the season.

Would you rather we kept pellegrino? Or gave Hughes a chance to possibly keep us up?

The issue here is the requirements for the new manager are different to what we normally look for during a summer with pre-season. We haven't got the luxury of games to bring in someone who might need time to find his feet in the PL. I'm not particularly keen on Hughes long term but I think he would be a decent short term fix.

All this could have been avoided if the board had just sacked MoPe last December and strengthened the squad in Jan.

Can't say I would be overly enthused with Hughes, there is something about him that I just can't put my finger on. We need someone with a bit of presence, both Puel and Pellegrino came across as nice chaps, maybe too nice was their problem. Some might say Adkins was a nice chap, but for where we were he had a record of getting out of there on his CV. Pochettino would be classed as an unknown but as a squad we were pretty green to the Premier league, add to that Cortese seemingly ruled with a "you question me, it better be a damn good question" attitude. No player could question Koemans CV especially as a player.

I feel that in typing this I am talking myself into Hughes, as a player he has an impressive CV, he doesn't look like a bloke to argue with, just as a manager I sense that 9th with Stoke is his ceiling. With someone like Bilic he is reported as realising that his failing was too much of a mate with the West Ham players, that lesson learned might take him up a level where he next turns up. Maybe we do need to bring in a firefighter like Hiddink or Advocaat short term to see us safe, and have a permanent manager ready when the season is done...........not fanny about for 6 weeks like we did deciding what to do with Puel at the end of last season.

Don't know what's wrong with some people. We have 8 games left in this terrible season. We will be pretty unnatractive to many candidates, we want Premier league experience and someone who has had a bit of success. Potter is too much of a gamble at this stage and other options people have named are unrealistic at this stage of the season.

Would you rather we kept pellegrino? Or fave Hughes a chance to possibly keep us up?

Hughes will bring us nothing that we didn't already have. He was a great footballer for Man Utd but was poor for us. He showed little fight when he played for us. IMO he will be a damp squib. Sadly I think we have left it too late anyway.

You may be pleased with him, but to me it is just recycling another failure. Lets review this at the end of the season if he comes.

Hughes will bring us nothing that we didn't already have. He was a great footballer for Man Utd but was poor for us. He showed little fight when he played for us. IMO he will be a damp squib. Sadly I think we have left it too late anyway.

You may be pleased with him, but to me it is just recycling another failure. Lets review this at the end of the season if he comes.

Would you rather have Hughes in charge or pellegrino? If you answered Hughes then this can only be a positive development and it will hopefully give us a better chance to stay up.

Would you rather have Hughes in charge or pellegrino? If you answered Hughes then this can only be a positive development and it will hopefully give us a better chance to stay up.
I would prefer Kelvin as he loves the club and has a steely side that many do not realise he has. He would not put up with underperformers, as I have posted on here before he had 2 of his teammates by the throat at halftime, as he said they didn't care enough.

I would prefer Kelvin as he loves the club and has a steely side that many do not realise he has. He would not put up with underperformers, as I have posted on here before he had 2 of his teammates by the throat at halftime, as he said they didn't care enough.
Lol. I'd rather have someone with experience of managing in the premier league thanks. We don't even know that kelvin would want the job in the unlikely event that we would offer it to him and he has zero managerial experience. Don't get me wrong I'd have taken him over pellegrino if thst was the only option but we'd be crazy to turn down Hughes over someone who has never been a manager.

I'd keep Kelvin in the organisation, definitely. But not running the show

Its for 8 games. Things like youth promotion is a non factor, and have no PL ready young players anyway.

What we want is someone who can motivate the players short term, who gives them confidence and most importantly works out the best way to win with this set of players right now.

For me:

Silva - last thing he needs in his career is another short term role

Hughes - from the obvious names he is the safest bet. Very PL experienced, firm character which is what our squad needs and knows all the PL sides and playera well, including ours. No communication problems or settle in time

Billic - slightly similar to Hughes but a bit more maverick. Can't really setup a defence though

Rodgers - delusional if anyone thinks there is a chance of that

Pearson - saved us in the Championship ages ago. Lots has happened since then. Old timer IMO.

Strachan - see Pearson

I think it will be Hughes or someone not yet mentioned.