Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

Well nice read and Santa just says good words about the club and the fans so he´s still acting like the Captain he once was !!

And the biggest advice - be humble and don´t act like a superstar and a diva since then the fans will not like him at all since Saints is like a family club.

Don't think mo looks that fast tbh, seems like another tadic type with maybe a better strike on him.problem is we needed to upgrade this position without tadic leaving, so still feel like we need another signing of this kind. I'm all for shaquiri, has all the attributes we need pace,power vicious shooting , know Hughes well and with him and mo bringing creativity and goals and Redmond nowhere near the team we might start getting somewhere :)

Of our attacking wide/wing options -

Redmond - largely average with odd good moment

Boufal - inconsistent, sulky, seems to have thrown his toys out of the pram but aside 1 good goal not much to show for his time here

Tadic - better than the other two, but not by much, spent most of the last two years being average, missing chances and only really woke up towards the end of the season.

Not sure we can do much worse, doubt Sims would be either given a longer run in the first team, but I suspect Boufal is going and we will be getting two players in this position.

Looks like Elynounoussi is almost done, still rumours of Shaqiri, Promes, Sisto and a few other wingers.

In fairness he’s scored 3 bangers has Boufal but I do agree

We have VVD money to spend. It is not a case of one in one out. Hughes would not have stayed if a net investment was not going to happen. Anybody would think that we are a poor club

It might be a case of moving some out before we get in new blood we have a lot of players on the books on good money we hardly want them sitting around drawing a wage and not playing while we pay new players to play in their place. I think this summer might well be aimed at trying to reduce the size of the squad and the wage bill. We can't just bring in lots of players and not get rid of some.

We have VVD money to spend. It is not a case of one in one out. Hughes would not have stayed if a net investment was not going to happen. Anybody would think that we are a poor club

We will probably end up with net investment, but not necessarily that much.

You have to account wages and the fact that in terms of numbers there was nothing wrong with our squad last year, we had plenty of competition for places.

In terms of attacking wide players we had Tadic, Redmond, Boufal and Sims last year, with Long and JWP also used in wide areas. That was more than enough, they just weren't that good.

Same in every other position.

Strikers we have Austin, Long, Gabbiadini and Carrillo, we now have Gallagher back as well.

Centre-mid we have Davis, Hojberg, Lemina, Romeu, JWP and now Reed and Clasie back. And have added Armstrong to this.

Defence we have Bednerak, Stephens, Hoedt, Yoshida, Bertrand, Cedric, McQueen and now have Target back, with Pied leaving

Should also note that in Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo and Gabbiadini we have basically players all signed for around £16 - £20 million over the last two years, again they have just not been good as expected.

And the likes of Tadic, JWP, Forster, Long etc. are going to be higher earners.

The squad is bloated and players have underperformed.

I don't think it's a case of needing to sell to buy for financial reasons, or at least to raise transfer funds it's more a case of we have lots of underperforming players and need to make space in the squad for fresh faces who hopefully will perform better and clear the wages.

Tadic it seems wanted to go which was fair enough, Boufal will want out as well. So they will need replacing and hopefully upgrading.

But more squad clearance is needed, Davis might go, Clasie needs to go, I'd expect the likes of Reed and Targett will want clarification on their futures and I wonder if Long might go along with Forster.

Could be 5 or 6 in and 5 or 6 out, not because we need to sell to buy those players but because we'd have like a 35 man first team squad

Basically in replacements Redmond is Redmond, Elyounoussi is Tadic and Sims is Boufal. Have you really got a problem with Sims replacing Boufal?

Yes. It's exactly the same as Stephens replacing Fonte and the rock solid defence we've had ever since. We've badly struggled for goals over the last 2 years, it's part managerial and partly the players. However you try and dress it up, you want to replace Boufal with a player who was behind him in the pecking order under 3 successive regimes.

We need someone who is BETTER than Boufal. Much better. Replacing him with one of the kids, so we can all just sit here with an academy boner like we did under Poortvleit is stupid.

It might be a case of moving some out before we get in new blood we have a lot of players on the books on good money we hardly want them sitting around drawing a wage and not playing while we pay new players to play in their place. I think this summer might well be aimed at trying to reduce the size of the squad and the wage bill. We can't just bring in lots of players and not get rid of some.

It's not even a question of money - we can only register a certain amount of players and with younger prospects now of an age where they also need to be registered rather than not be, we simply have to trim the squad otherwise we'll have players who can't play for us in any league game which is a waste of everyones time.

We will probably end up with net investment, but not necessarily that much.

You have to account wages and the fact that in terms of numbers there was nothing wrong with our squad last year, we had plenty of competition for places.

In terms of attacking wide players we had Tadic, Redmond, Boufal and Sims last year, with Long and JWP also used in wide areas. That was more than enough, they just weren't that good.

Same in every other position.

Strikers we have Austin, Long, Gabbiadini and Carrillo, we now have Gallagher back as well.

Centre-mid we have Davis, Hojberg, Lemina, Romeu, JWP and now Reed and Clasie back. And have added Armstrong to this.

Defence we have Bednerak, Stephens, Hoedt, Yoshida, Bertrand, Cedric, McQueen and now have Target back, with Pied leaving

Should also note that in Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt, Carrillo and Gabbiadini we have basically players all signed for around £16 - £20 million over the last two years, again they have just not been good as expected.

And the likes of Tadic, JWP, Forster, Long etc. are going to be higher earners.

The squad is bloated and players have underperformed.

I don't think it's a case of needing to sell to buy for financial reasons, or at least to raise transfer funds it's more a case of we have lots of underperforming players and need to make space in the squad for fresh faces who hopefully will perform better and clear the wages.

Tadic it seems wanted to go which was fair enough, Boufal will want out as well. So they will need replacing and hopefully upgrading.

But more squad clearance is needed, Davis might go, Clasie needs to go, I'd expect the likes of Reed and Targett will want clarification on their futures and I wonder if Long might go along with Forster.

Could be 5 or 6 in and 5 or 6 out, not because we need to sell to buy those players but because we'd have like a 35 man first team squad

Some good points.

We have a bloated squad that needs trimming and we need to trim to bring in new players to fit with in the Premier League squad size. It's a shame Tadic is going but he's one of the higher earners I would presume and he's given us a fair shift. I do wonder if the current batch of transfers are aimed not just as freshen up of the squad but a policy of reducing the wage bill and trying to correct the mistakes of the last few years in that regard.

In fairness he’s scored 3 bangers has Boufal but I do agree

Absolutely. Although I do think a decent coach / manager should be able to get him player closer to his potential and has to be worth 6 months with hughes beating him with a stick before we get rid.

Absolutely. Although I do think a decent coach / manager should be able to get him player closer to his potential and has to be worth 6 months with hughes beating him with a stick before we get rid.

Didn't the rumour go that Hughes was happy to re-integrate him once he apologised for whatever the misdemeanour was, but the senior players said they would prefer to focus on avoiding relegation without the distraction of having Boufal involved? If so, sounds like Hughes has a situation to manage if he is to stay. Personally I'd imagine the club will sell him if a sensible offer comes in, but re-integrate if not.

The changes are making the close season interesting. I don't mind Tadic going because I want to see Armstrong, and subject to the medical, Elyounoussi, in the starting line up. Hopefully, Boufal will go. He's not a team player, seems to have been more trouble than he's worth and hasn't been able to perform well enough to get the game time you'd expect from a player who cost his fee. Looks like there is more change to come but I agree with others who've said that we already have a quality squad. The problem last year was how they were coached and how they were used.

Yes. It's exactly the same as Stephens replacing Fonte and the rock solid defence we've had ever since. We've badly struggled for goals over the last 2 years, it's part managerial and partly the players. However you try and dress it up, you want to replace Boufal with a player who was behind him in the pecking order under 3 successive regimes.

We need someone who is BETTER than Boufal. Much better. Replacing him with one of the kids, so we can all just sit here with an academy boner like we did under Poortvleit is stupid.

Except Stephens was replacing a first team starter which was a problem. Sims would be replacing someone who has played very little and contributed 2 match winning goals in 2 years. And it's not like sims has been unproductive when he's played.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Except Stephens was replacing a first team starter which was a problem. Sims would be replacing someone who has played very little and contributed 2 match winning goals in 2 years. And it's not like sims has been unproductive when he's played.

Hopefully we are looking at (say we have a front 3) Moi, Austin/Gabbiadini etc., New player (Promes/Sisto etc.) with then Sims and Redmond as the back up options.

I don't really see with Tadic and Boufal leaving, both of whom should raise at least £20 million plus in sales and probably get £100k a week at least of the wage budget (if not more like £130k a week), that we wouldn't try to get two players in.

We are apparently buying Moi for £16 million, so spending about £5 million more than we got for Tadic, and I doubt he'll be getting as much a week Tadic is (because he's a new player coming from the Swiss league whereas Tadic would have had a new contract as an established PL player). So we are likely breaking even there wages/transfer wise and getting a younger player hopefully with more potential.

If we then sell Boufal for similar and recoup around £10 million again, then we could bring in say Sisto for £15-16 million and I doubt his wages would be any higher than Boufals.

Or a Shaqiri who might be more in wages but less in transfer fee.

Or we could go even further and push for someone like Promes who Spartake were looking for more like £25 million, and he'd probably want more wages.

Overall in those scenarios we'd have sold two players, one older, one who has not performed at the level expected. Then hopefully got in two players that are upgrades, on similar wages, younger and probably only end up spending £10 million ish in transfer funds.

Boufal is hardly Pied or Gardos, he really should be a first team regular. He isn’t backup, he plays in a position where you need quality options. The fact that he isn’t one is a significant prt of why we have struggled.

Put it another way - think of how poor we’ve been in the final third for the last 2 years. Now take away every contribution from Tadic and Boufal. THAT will be our attacking force should Mo fail to make an impact or pick up an injury.

Boufal is hardly Pied or Gardos, he really should be a first team regular. He isn’t backup, he plays in a position where you need quality options. The fact that he isn’t one is a significant prt of why we have struggled.

Put it another way - think of how poor we’ve been in the final third for the last 2 years. Now take away every contribution from Tadic and Boufal. THAT will be our attacking force should Mo fail to make an impact or pick up an injury.

I firmly believe Sims would have made much more of a contribution than any of them had he been a regular starter last season.

I firmly believe Sims would have made much more of a contribution than any of them had he been a regular starter last season.

We will have to agree to disagree on that.

I remember people saying similar things about McGoldrick, Griffit, Joseph Mills, Lloyd James, Gillett and a few others. I think he has potential and I’d like to see him involved in the squad but we need some vast improvement up front, not selling off the limited talent we have got and hoping 1 player from the Swiss League is the answer.

Suppose we’re 1-0 down to Wolves or Huddersfield and not creating anything, Mo and Redmond are on the pitch and Austin isn’t getting a sniff up front, what would you do to change it? Send on Sims and hope that’s going to turn it around?

We will have to agree to disagree on that.

I remember people saying similar things about McGoldrick, Griffit, Joseph Mills, Lloyd James, Gillett and a few others. I think he has potential and I’d like to see him involved in the squad but we need some vast improvement up front, not selling off the limited talent we have got and hoping 1 player from the Swiss League is the answer.

Suppose we’re 1-0 down to Wolves or Huddersfield and not creating anything, Mo and Redmond are on the pitch and Austin isn’t getting a sniff up front, what would you do to change it? Send on Sims and hope that’s going to turn it around?

Errr, yes. I’ve seen him play from the youth teams through to the first team - when he plays, he creates chances.

Errr, yes. I’ve seen him play from the youth teams through to the first team - when he plays, he creates chances.

Yes but our only creative option off the bench? Really?!

Redmond and Sims our only creative players if Mo El picks up a knock? :|

The changes are making the close season interesting. I don't mind Tadic going because I want to see Armstrong, and subject to the medical, Elyounoussi, in the starting line up. Hopefully, Boufal will go. He's not a team player, seems to have been more trouble than he's worth and hasn't been able to perform well enough to get the game time you'd expect from a player who cost his fee. Looks like there is more change to come but I agree with others who've said that we already have a quality squad. The problem last year was how they were coached and how they were used.

But..... Won't we be in breach of FFP? :scared: