Are players role models?

Batman

Your thoughts?

The hysteria about Sterling (again) today is a OTT. Outside of the obvious victimisation he faces from the media, do you care about his new tattoo?

I think you would need serious mental help if a players body art or haircut influences you.

It is absolutely ridiculous and quite frankly embarrassing. What is it about the media in this country where when it comes round to a major tournament the press go out of their way to find things to beat up the the England team with? No other country does this. Sterling has explained his reasoning behind the tattoo (even though IMO it looks bloody awful) and that should be the end of it. He has had to suffer more than his fair share of criticism in the past few years. Having said all that there are many on here who post abuse about players even our own when they are safely behind a keyboard.

If the story about his father is true (little reason not to believe him), then it is The Sun who have yet again ****ed up, not Sterling...

DeXLa8oXkAAd_Zy.jpg

Sterling on Instagram in reply...

DeXLcW1XcAA1GeO.jpg

In no way is that glamourising gun culture... quite the opposite in fact!

Perhaps if he had a big red cross across it, it might be more appropriate

Yes, players are role models, even though they might not appreciate that aspect of their position. They are in the public eye and as such thousands of young people idolise them and want to be in their position. But the same goes for other famous people, whether they're politicians or musicians. Their behaviour is absorbed by some of those who see it and deem it acceptable.

The tattoo looks awful and its difficult to see quite how it being there honours his father, but then he's said it's not finished so judgement ought to be reserved for when it is. Think 90% of tattoos in general look pretty terrible, and seems strange for the media to be picking up on this particular one, there must be dozens of other poor taste tattoos on football players.

Just a good for nothing tabloid getting attention for being controversial.

Two issues here: 1) question posed in post title (are players role models?); 2) Sterling's tattoo.

1) Players are not role models for me, but some exemplify positive or negative traits (positive—Le Tissier, Lambert; negative—Roy Keane, C. Ronaldo).

2) Sterling can put whatever tattoo he wants on his body, but he seems a bit confused. Why imprint permanently on his body the very thing he says he wants to avoid? Did he give a thought to what people might think his intention was; because it seems like the action of a gun-lover.

Your thoughts?

The hysteria about Sterling (again) today is a OTT. Outside of the obvious victimisation he faces from the media, do you care about his new tattoo?

I think you would need serious mental help if a players body art or haircut influences you.

Another we'll thought out and well balanced posting on a Southampton fanzine site ,about the saints, think it will really help our team ,enhance our signings and create a positive 2018/2019 season . JESUS ! Help.

Thread title should be "Do players have far too much time on their hands"

Quite a bizarre Tattoo though, given his reasoning for having one versus why he hates guns - is he going to have those words Tattooed on the other side of his leg, otherwise its a bit gangster.

Penguin would have been more apt ;)

Great article about it here from the (consistently) great Football365:

https://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-special-raheem-sterling-the-sun-and-racist-attacks

Interesting article until they played the race card.

I could find 100's of "stories" of celebs and sports personalities doing mundane tasks.

Rooney gets pictured every time he takes his family on holiday, must be because he's black...

Whether they like it or not, players are looked up to and emulated. They're paid unbelievably highly for a highly public role, and with that comes the expectation that they act as role models.

That said, seems like The Sun have well and truly stepped in it here. Ironically, they may well have helped Sterling out a bit, by making sure the story behind the tattoo is widely public knowledge before they have a chance to draw their own conclusions.

I would've thought a number of people on football forums would have tattoo's and know any sizeable work will take more than a single sitting, assuming that's the case and his story is true why not wait until it's finished before casting judgement?

Perhaps if he had a big red cross across it, it might be more appropriate

Perhaps if Piers Morgan (the original source of that quote

) hadn't hacked a dead child's phone he'd be in a position to make moral judgements.

There really does seem to be some weird vendetta against Sterling, the only rationale i can think of is that he decided to move from the presses favourite club (and perennial victims) to another one.

Even the sh*thouse rag that came up with that story (and many more) are targeting them as their sales are decimated in Liverpool after years of lying about Hillsborough.

If the story about his father is true (little reason not to believe him), then it is The Sun who have yet again ****ed up, not Sterling...

DeXLa8oXkAAd_Zy.jpg

If he wants a tattoo of the lead singer of the Village People on his leg, that's his own affair.

(that's a bit of a slow-burner, look again :D)

Has your dad been shot dead? No?

It’s still a weird thing to do, walking into a tattoo parlour and saying, "hey, I’d like a pictorial reminder of how my dad was murdered, permanently imprinted on my leg."

Having it on the leg you ‘shoot’ with is not a "deeper meaning." It’s just a bit naff.

Footballers as role models? No. Strange to think why anyone would think so. In fact the very idea of role models is strange to me - everyone is a human being with faults and putting anyone up on a pedestal shows a lack of critical thinking.

Having a tattoo of a gun on your leg precisely because you want to honour someone who was killed by a gun? Bit stupid really and there are more relevant things he could have done if that was his intention. Having said that Christians wear crosses so I suppose there's a bit of a precedent.... Anyway, it's his own choice and up to him.

It’s still a weird thing to do, walking into a tattoo parlour and saying, "hey, I’d like a pictorial reminder of how my dad was murdered, permanently imprinted on my leg."

Having it on the leg you ‘shoot’ with is not a "deeper meaning." It’s just a bit naff.

Maybe he wants to create that association in his own mind, so that it's linked to something positive for him, and not a reminder of what happened to his father?

Everyone has to deal with this sort of stuff in their own way, and I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like. I'm not going to judge him on something like this.

I’m more concerned about those dodgy side burns.

Fcking media is disturbing. Hope he scores and celebrates by shooting the crowd ala Gazza’s dentist chair. Imagine the outrage. Or lie down and a teammate can jerk his leg mimicking shooting.

Two issues here: 1) question posed in post title (are players role models?); 2) Sterling's tattoo.

1) Players are not role models for me, but some exemplify positive or negative traits (positive—Le Tissier, Lambert; negative—Roy Keane, C. Ronaldo).

2) Sterling can put whatever tattoo he wants on his body, but he seems a bit confused. Why imprint permanently on his body the very thing he says he wants to avoid? Did he give a thought to what people might think his intention was; because it seems like the action of a gun-lover.

Can't understand why you consider Ronaldo a negative role model? He has plenty of positive traits which a lot of kids would do well to replicate.

Players influence children and need to adjust their behaviour accordingly. However, the tabloid targeting of Sterling is deeply unfair and tinged with racism.

Hardly surprising when you look at the extremist dinosaurs who own and run these ‘papers’. Murdoch, the man whose newspapers hacked Milly Dowlers phone, moralising. Whatever Sterling had in his leg, which there are good reasons for anyway, could never be more pure evil than what the NOTW did. The fact that it’s reared up at the time the Grenfell Tower enquiry is going on may not be an entire coincidence?

Has your dad been shot dead? No?

What has that got to do with anything? I am mocking Sterling for claiming that “I shoot with my right foot” is somehow a deep and cryptic message. Don’t get all sanctimonious over a jokey post which clearly doesn’t reference or imply anything about his dad’s shooting.

Can't understand why you consider Ronaldo a negative role model? He has plenty of positive traits which a lot of kids would do well to replicate.

Well, I did say that I don't consider players role models. So, I didn't say Ronaldo was a negative role model. What I said was that he exemplified negative traits: specifically, he is a preening, self-centred, arrogant person. To use a modern cliche, it's all about him—always. No doubt he does show some positive traits, but—for me, anyway—they are overshadowed by his narcissism.

If it was Joey Barton or Balotelli with this stupid tattoo all the linekars of the world wouldn't be defending it. It's pretty pathetic and tasteless if you ask me, but it gives people a chance to have a dig at the press. I don't buy this "my dad was shot" pony. If he died of a OD is a syringe tattoo a great tribute? "I'm never going to touch drugs, and here's my tattoo of Keith Richards to show that".

If it was Joey Barton or Balotelli with this stupid tattoo all the linekars of the world wouldn't be defending it. It's pretty pathetic and tasteless if you ask me, but it gives people a chance to have a dig at the press. I don't buy this "my dad was shot" pony. If he died of a OD is a syringe tattoo a great tribute? "I'm never going to touch drugs, and here's my tattoo of Keith Richards to show that".

See him last night at St Mary’s.

Still got it

Well, I did say that I don't consider players role models. So, I didn't say Ronaldo was a negative role model. What I said was that he exemplified negative traits: specifically, he is a preening, self-centred, arrogant person. To use a modern cliche, it's all about him—always. No doubt he does show some positive traits, but—for me, anyway—they are overshadowed by his narcissism.

Yeah, I agree, it's all about him:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/real-madrid/86/blog/post/3317297/real-madrids-cristiano-ronaldo-has-long-list-of-charity-contributions

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4966031/cristiano-ronaldo-ballon-dor-charity/

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

It does seem odd at first but when you start to investigate a bit further it can make sense. It’s very much down to mental well-being of the individual and you’ll find examples of those that have had a trauma being drawn or have a connection to the very thing that has caused them pain: rape victim - promiscuous behaviour, alcoholic parents - binge drinking. This shouldn’t be taken as a general association for all but an individual case assessment as there could be other important influential factors.

It's funny isn't it how people see others differently? In Ronaldo I see someone who works massively hard to be as good as he can be, he does a lot for others too despite this image of self preening and self promotion etc( which may be annoying but actually doesn't hurt anyone else) so I think his positives far outweigh any negatives in his personality...

IMO that's the issue with holding footballers and other celebrities as role models (noted that you don't..sorry about that! ) as it is still down to individual interpretation so what I think is acceptable others will not.

The whole celebrity thing is flawed and if parents need them to role model for their kids there is probably something wrong with society.