Everton 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Very poor and quite worrying.

We can't pass the ball and keep possession in attack.

The Manager has no idea of his best team or formation despite a full pre season. Poor subs also lost us momentum. More strikers doesn't mean more likely to create and score.

Utterly woeful in defence.

Ings the only positive today. Need to get a settled side and system. No chance of top 10 as Hughes stated is the aim.

Not too disappointed, showed some fight against a strong side. Think we're a better side without Austin in the starting line up. JWP played well, as did Ings and Bertrand. Defensive lapses especially at set pieces are a worry. But again we started badly, and Hughes needs to work on the players focus.

We will always give ourselves a mountain to climb with our back 4, so we've kind of lost to sides like this before we even start. Good rally in the 2nd half to get back into it, but as was the case for a lot of last season, we gave ourselves too much to do.

Ings will get goals and adds some serious energy into our side, which has been lacking. Romeu still looks a shaddow of the player he was, Lemina still flatters to decieve and Stephens and Hoedt are still dreadful individually, let alone as a partnership.

So, as with last week, a better 2nd half after a poor first half. Always on the edge with the back 4. Need to actually try to play 90 mins next week, and hopefully no more Hoedt.

Depressing that we are being managed by a witless idiot.

When a saints manager makes three moves that actually make Everton more comfortable you've either got to be worried about his tactical acumen or whether he wants everton to win.

When you think that Leeds managed to attract Bielsa in the division below and we've got sir hump a lot in charge.

At least Ings got his first goal & we've got vestergaard to come back.

Please let that be Long's last game & i used to be supportive of him. Loan him out now.

Everton were there for a taking too.

Defeat at Everton is never a surprise but the spine of our midfield & defence is a worry. We will be better with Vestergaard & Moi back available.

Positives:

Ings

Ings getting off the mark

Combining Saints inevitable defeat at Everon with our inevitable defeat when I'm in Cornwall saves one game we can get points from

Ings

Negatives

Hoedt

Stephens

Hoedt & Stephens together

Centre midfield

Just leaving the ground. Same story as last week, opposition should have been 3 or 4 up by half time. Unless things improve drastically I won't be wasting my money watching that shower of **** this season. 2nd to absolutely everything. Couldn't deal with a number of Everton players so resorted to dirty tactics. Hoedt and Stephens were poor. Again, Ings looks like the only bit of class that we have.

Ref taking no chances in that match great shepherding of play for the ref associatiion accumulator pot. :)

Moments of good play from Saints, Shane long on changed the game as players reverted to being tempted by long ball when we were in ascendancy, second to every ball in the air and we just kept doing it over and over.. Wrong sub - Gabbi should have come on first then Long if we could nick it when they would be forced to come at us. Ah well we weren’t expecting to win that one and Everton look better than they have in ages.

After a few deep breaths, I would say we are better than last season, need players to get fitter, 442 is so much better for the players we have currently, Hughes needs to figure out his first 11, and why on earth can we not start until the 2nd half?

Pretty inept all round. An amateurish shambles in the first half, and then, after we'd looked bright for 15 minutes of the second half, Hughes killed all momentum with his substitutions.

We barely touched the ball afterwards.

At least Ings got something out of the game: a goal, and Pickford making the first incisions on getting his tramp stamp removed.

I really don't know where we are - more worryingly, I don't think Hughes does either. I suspect it's going to be another bleak season of struggle.

Not many early promising signs.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Everything just looked wrong imo.

Poor team selection, poor tactics, poor passing, dreadful tackling where we were lucky not to have players sent off. Poor finishing and a non existent midfield.

Second half was an improvement until we scored. After that the subs/tactical changes killed our momentum.

I fail to see what Hughes was trying to do for this game. He talked about us coming in with confidence after getting a point at home to Burnley. I didn't see that. I saw a seriously ill disciplined un-professional display where nobody was willing to take charge and show some leadership. The defence was all over the place except for Cedric.

We move onto the next one but no doubt we will get the excuses in ie Everton spent loads of money blah blah. Was just a really awful performance from us. We don't seem to have learned anything from the past two seasons.

Vestergaard and yoshida in at CB will help immensely I think. Armstrong, Elyounoussi back in as well.

Comedy defending at times from the centre back pairing. They would struggle to get in the starting 11 for the Blind football championships. Maybe a bell inside the ball would help hoedt track the direction of the Ball in future games?

I see all the anti Hughes folk are coming out of the woodwork now. Bit odd.

He's not the problem, it's players like Hoedt who are the problem.

Same people who likely shuffled around him like starry-eyed kids at the fans forum, meekly thanking him.

Our fans are absolute weirdos.

And yes about Hoedt. Hughes is to blame for picking him, but I’d like to think he’s half sensible to have learned from Hoedts performances and putting in alongside Stephens.

You'll be hard pressed to see two worse defences this season,both teams woeful at the back. Should've been a point we had some very good chances in front of goal.

Hoedt must have a clause in his contract that if he's fit he plays.

Very worrying that it's taking us 50+mins to start playing .

Good to see Prowsey get a good run out,one of our better players today.

So was Pellegrino the problem last season, or the players?

The players were a huge issue last season, let's not devoid them of any blame and say it was all because the poor little flowers didn't like MP. MP didn't help though as he was pretty meek.

Hoedt, Stephens, Romeu, Austin, JWP, Cedric, Bertrand, Lemina, Gabbiadini, Long - all struggled last year because they're all limited footballers if we're honest. We play again with the same crap as last year and we have a similar result, so for me the main blame lies with our recruitment from the last few years, some of the fee's we've splashed out on absolute garbage has been horrific.

I think we do year on year off mate

2016/17 Players fault (not Puel)

2017/18 Pellegrino fault (not players)

2018/19 Players fault (not Hughes)

There was no reason to blame anyone in 16-17, we achieved our aim.

17-18 was the manager, the players and, principally, the board/recruitment department.

Stupid to vacate the midfield and give Everton the early advantage.

Austin offers nothing as a starter away from home.

Ings looked good.

Shane Long has no technical ability.

I lost count of how many times both Stephens and Hoedt were facing away from our goal and caught by a ball over the top instead of being on the half turn.

Going 4 up top completely wrecked the balance of the team.

Overall, we need to play 3 in central midfield to get a toehold in games instead of gifting the opposition a head start.

4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 5-3-2 or 3-4-1-1. I don't care, anything to get some kind of control in the centre of the park.

We can't expect to get any sort of control in a match until we try to win the midfield. both 4-4-2 and 3-4-3 leave us too open.