Everton 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Hands up anyone who thought we would get anything out of that game when our cb pairing was revealed?

...which is exactly what I felt. Then I read Hughes's lament after the match (https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-08-18/mark-hughes-post-match-everton-southampton-premier-league). We all know that this defence lapses, the players themselves know that this defence lapses and, I hope, Hughes knows that this defence lapses. It's not Secret Squirrel - we all know this stuff so why didn't he avoid it? Vestergaard being 'ill' can't be helped but is Maya now persona non grata? Is Bednarek thought to be not over his World Cup travails? Team selection might help avoid further lapses; Hughes simply shouldn't pair up Stephens and Hoedt, as was proved time and again last year.

On top of this, we need more accountability in the midfield: Romeu is not the player he was two years ago although perhaps, with more steel next to him, Lemina might be able to be more effective. We can only play with what we have: would Hojbjerg add more grit than Romeu next week? It's worth a try.

Thank you, Charlie Austin, but I think the taxi might be pulling up soon. Hoping that Armstrong and Elyounoussi are match-fit next week, Austin may be that bludgeon tool from the bench if/when we need to throw caution to the wind.

Roll on next Saturday - let's put this right.

Stupid to vacate the midfield and give Everton the early advantage.

Austin offers nothing as a starter away from home.

Ings looked good.

Shane Long has no technical ability.

I lost count of how many times both Stephens and Hoedt were facing away from our goal and caught by a ball over the top instead of being on the half turn.

Going 4 up top completely wrecked the balance of the team.

Overall, we need to play 3 in central midfield to get a toehold in games instead of gifting the opposition a head start.

4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 5-3-2 or 3-4-1-1. I don't care, anything to get some kind of control in the centre of the park.

We can't expect to get any sort of control in a match until we try to win the midfield. both 4-4-2 and 3-4-3 leave us too open.

Spot on and you saved me typing this.

Our centre backs today played like a Sunday league pairing.

Truly embarrassing as they ball watched and constantly just passed the ball away.

That final 10 minutes should of been us putting Everton under pressure but we need to treat it like a chess board.

If you don’t control the centre 8 squares then you are fu.cked.

It was 4-2-4 at times.

Should at least be 4-4-3 or even 3-4-3.

Ref was crap. Didn't give us a thing today. But then again Mason never does. I'd like to see stats on the games where he's been our ref. Having said that we are just not good enough and never will be with a defensive partnership which includes Hoedt and Stephens. They are utter rubbish and would struggle in the National League. I felt that the team that started today wouldn't get anything from a ground where we are notoriously bad at getting anything. Yoshi must wonder what the hell he has to do to get in the team. Yoshi and Vetsegaard would be my choice. Midfield of Romeu, Armstrong, Moi and Hodj, with Gabbi and Ings up front would be better defensively and going forward.

Is Hughes still finding out about players or does he honestly believe that the team he picked today would be our best chance of a result? If so, then I fear for us as we'll struggle to defend and score if Hoedt, Stephens and Austin start every game.

Spot on.

Indeed the ref was shocking and Everton played him too.

Don’t think the performance was as bad as some are making out? We’re better than this time last season yet ultimately it’s the same issues dragging us down.

The team needs more bite, we looked naive in the first half, very timid. I don’t know if it’s a lack of confidence/belief in the squad or a lack of application from certain players? Defensively we look poor and our lack of quailty at Center back hindered us today, both in possession and defensively. There’s not much difference in quality between Stephens and Hodet, I’m not sure if either would benefit from a stronger partner but for me that’s our weakest CB pairing and it showed today.

Second half was immediately better, same as last week in both games I’ve seen enough going forward to show that we aren’t as bad as last season, I’d also say that Austin has offered very little in both games so far.

Positives

For the second game running I thought Redmond looked lively going forward, making positive runs and facing defenders up, I hope it continues and we see the best of him this season.

Ings is looking every bit a £20 million pound striker from what ive seen of him, he’s shown more quality than all other attacking options out together already this season

We were poor first half but showed a bit of fight second half which was pleasing, Everton were better than us but not by miles.

We had Gabbi, Mo and Vestergaard out the team today. I think bringing those three in would make a big difference.

Leicester are without Vardy next week

All in all, not great but I’m not upset either, enough in that defeat to a good Everton side to show me we will be alright this season.

It's a mark of how far expectations have fallen that we don't even need to nick a point now to register a crack-papering performance - a consolation goal against a side kipping on a two goal lead is enough.

We played without a clue for pretty much the entire game and while I'm confident that a fit Ings will nick a few goals over the season, we looked miles behind Everton tactically and technically (even though they weren't particularly good).

Maybe the missing players will transform us when they return, but I doubt it playing either this week or last week's starting formations. A good start would be getting three in the midfield to at least give us some measure of control in games rather than resorting to hoofing kick and rush.

Depressing that we are being managed by a witless idiot.

When a saints manager makes three moves that actually make Everton more comfortable you've either got to be worried about his tactical acumen or whether he wants everton to win.

When you think that Leeds managed to attract Bielsa in the division below and we've got sir hump a lot in charge.

At least Ings got his first goal & we've got vestergaard to come back.

Please let that be Long's last game & i used to be supportive of him. Loan him out now.

Everton were there for a taking too.

How about sending Long back to West Brom in a swap for JayRod? I wish, and oh how I do wish we had never let Jay go.

...which is exactly what I felt. Then I read Hughes's lament after the match (https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-08-18/mark-hughes-post-match-everton-southampton-premier-league). We all know that this defence lapses, the players themselves know that this defence lapses and, I hope, Hughes knows that this defence lapses. It's not Secret Squirrel - we all know this stuff so why didn't he avoid it? Vestergaard being 'ill' can't be helped but is Maya now persona non grata? Is Bednarek thought to be not over his World Cup travails? Team selection might help avoid further lapses; Hughes simply shouldn't pair up Stephens and Hoedt, as was proved time and again last year.

On top of this, we need more accountability in the midfield: Romeu is not the player he was two years ago although perhaps, with more steel next to him, Lemina might be able to be more effective. We can only play with what we have: would Hojbjerg add more grit than Romeu next week? It's worth a try.

Thank you, Charlie Austin, but I think the taxi might be pulling up soon. Hoping that Armstrong and Elyounoussi are match-fit next week, Austin may be that bludgeon tool from the bench if/when we need to throw caution to the wind.

Roll on next Saturday - let's put this right.

Decent post Mike, your first in almost a decade of membership! Don’t leave the next one so long.

Worrying trend of only turning up for the second half and manger who doesn't seem to know his formation and line up. Oh for the days of knowing we would play 4-2-3-1 with decent players in every position. Don't think we will go down but suspect it will be close!!

Hoedt and Stephens should be nowhere near this team... Both are not up to the standard of football required for this level both should be sold and two stronger additions should be purchased... We can all see these it's about time management woke up and saw the light aswell dress it up how you want we have defenders who cannot defend...

I didn't think we were that bad either. The big issue is our cb's, which unfortunately was hurt by Big V being sick. I thought our attack was good all day. We created a number of good chances and were unlucky not to score more.

Hasn't this been the post match line for over two seasons now though?

Don't really like the uncertainty around our best team or formation. Kind of leads me to think the Manager isn't sure either' date=' which is an awful situation to be in.[/quote']

Inclined to agree, the other concern for me is no natural leaders on the pitch to rally those around them. Bertrand isn't captain material in my view. Am hoping Vestergaard grows into the role although he needs to firmly establish himself in the team first.

I don't really want to join the simmering criticisms of Hughes though . He wouldn't have been my choice to replace Koeman by any means, but given what followed and managing to keep us up he's deserved a crack at it and we won't attract a better option for a year or so. The squad at his disposal though is largely a Reed/Wilson creation rather than his, but if he perseveres with a hapless 5 at the back then the anger will start to turn in his direction I'm sure.

My fifth trip to Goodson and still not seen us win. A quick read of this thread feels unduly negative, have seen us more comprehensively beaten up there under Poch, Koeman and Adkins who are lauded on here as beyond criticism. Positives for me we’re Redmond, Ings and Ward Prowse. Thought Lemina was better than some away games in recent times.

I reckon Everton have spent about £150 million on their front 4 in the last 12 months. Great free kick routine, and had Ings had put away the rebound from Cedric shot then could have been a very different day. Fine margins.

Lastly, while the gamble to play three strikers near the end didn’t work out, let’s not slag off Hughes for giving it a good go. Had we have scored we could have taken one off and reinforced midfield.

My fifth trip to Goodson and still not seen us win. A quick read of this thread feels unduly negative, have seen us more comprehensively beaten up there under Poch, Koeman and Adkins who are lauded on here as beyond criticism. Positives for me we’re Redmond, Ings and Ward Prowse. Thought Lemina was better than some away games in recent times.

I reckon Everton have spent about £150 million on their front 4 in the last 12 months. Great free kick routine, and had Ings had put away the rebound from Cedric shot then could have been a very different day. Fine margins.

Lastly, while the gamble to play three strikers near the end didn’t work out, let’s not slag off Hughes for giving it a good go. Had we have scored we could have taken one off and reinforced midfield.

Agree with all of this. Enough of the wrist-slitting.

From where we were it looked like an early entry for miss of the season from Ings in the first half, but just seen it on the telly and fair play a brilliant save from Pickford.

Mason gave us eff all though. Not even a corner right at the end and nothing when Pickford took Danny’s shirt off.

Somehow, the motd coverage didn't reflect the balance of the game. I only saw it live from a few minutes after the second goal, but Everton were running rings round us for most of what I watched. The tv highlights made the game seem a lot more even than I thought it actually was.

This.

Way too much negativity on this forum - second game FFS and we never win at Goodison. Pickford's fingertips the difference in the end. Fine margins as was said.

In American Football they have an offensive and a defensive coach - think Hughes needs a dedicated defensive coach to get us properly sorted at the back. Yoshida and Bednarek better than Woedt and Stephens. Bertrand looks off his game and has for a while. But we really need another new CB alongside Vestergard now IMO.

How Austin gets started before Gabbiadini astonishes me. Time for Shlong to go on a goal-scoring and/or assist run soon or move on.

Redmond has been good the first two games - hopefully we're going to see the best of him now. Lemina has class.

Armstrong looks a good addition. Moi too. Think Gunn will be too if McCarthy falters. Ings clearly. So good additions.

Hey, we are soooooo much better than under that clown last season - some mid-table mediocrity would suit us fine after last season.

Just want to see a manager know his best team and play it regularly. That's all. It's been several years now.

Hughes just seems utterly all over the place.

Not concerned player quality wise, loads weren't available or picked today. Why Austin and Redmond play I've no idea, and Lemina, while a very good player, is poor for us.

I really want to see this team player for a couple of months and have a chance to get.

McCarthy

Cedric Yoshi Vesterguard Bertrand

Romeu Armstrong Hojbjerg

Gabbiadini Ings Mo

So you actually think Romeu is good enough just to clarify?

Ahhh. Frustrating.

I’m taking a deep breath and reminding myself we’re only 2 games in so give them some time.

However, there’s a couple of things that do scare me.

1. We have 5 centre backs... in my opinion they range from best to worst in this order... yoshi, vestergaard, bednarek, stephens, hoedt.

Is yoshida off? Surely he’s match fit since his return? Every other player at the World Cup are back and playing. I can only assume he’s lining up a move away. And bednarek isn’t featuring at all. I appreciate Hughes knows more than I do but I am completely flummoxed by his choice of centre backs.

2. Formation... Hughes has played 3 at the back pretty much since he joined us, including pre season.

But after getting our asses kicked for an hour last week he changed it. Then yesterday he started with a 4 4 2 ( or something similar). Then made some random and desperate subs which handed the onus back to Everton.

I’m just worried that he doesn’t know what team and what tactics he wants to impose on the team. It’s all been reactionary so far.

Oh... and the 3rd thing. Don’t start with Charlie frickin Austin!!

I’d love him to do the business for us but sadly he’s just not good enough for this level.

Play Ings and gabbi... the 2 most intelligent forwards by a country mile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to note Everton have spent about £140 million over the last 6 months, and 3/4 of our major signings were basically out today, so they narrowly beat last years 17th placed team (+Ings) at home, think we;ll be fine. if you look at probably West Ham and Everton being rated 'best of the rest' and neither looks much cop, plus big spending Wolves and Fulham have not started excellently either.

Richarlison was their only new signing who played yesterday.

And they cut through us like a knife through butter.

We don’t really know what the likes of Fulham will be like this season.. lots of players signed neardeadline day and not yet integrated into their first XI. By October we’ll understand what they’ve got.

And wolves have been excellent so far. They were incredibly unlucky yesterday... I don’t think they’ll be one of our relegation rivals.

Richarlison was their only new signing who played yesterday.

And they cut through us like a knife through butter.

We don’t really know what the likes of Fulham will be like this season.. lots of players signed neardeadline day and not yet integrated into their first XI. By October we’ll understand what they’ve got.

And wolves have been excellent so far. They were incredibly unlucky yesterday... I don’t think they’ll be one of our relegation rivals.

I think he was including the last 2 windows (ie including Walcott and Tosun), to which I Would add Sigurdsson

Somehow, the motd coverage didn't reflect the balance of the game. I only saw it live from a few minutes after the second goal, but Everton were running rings round us for most of what I watched. The tv highlights made the game seem a lot more even than I thought it actually was.

Maybe because it wasn’t as one sided as some on here would have it

Maybe because it wasn’t as one sided as some on here would have it
I suspect you're right. The more balanced posts describe us being good in attack. We missed at least two good chances. We had a seriously weakened central defence and conceded two goals.

Match threads on here have become a joke, with trolls, skates and all sorts just waiting to churn out the doomsday b0ll0cks as fast as they can. Probably not even following the game. Certainly not acknowledging anything positive and reiterating each other's comments as if that then makes them true.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They are below us in the league. Most promoted sides start well with a burst of adrenaline, then often fade. Huddersfield last season.

Wolves will struggle.

Yeah tv highlights were massively flattering, glossing over our thuggish approach and showing both moments(Pickford kick and attack when whistle blew) when these were pretty much only times we had possession after the idiotic tactical moves of Hughes.

I suspect you're right. The more balanced posts describe us being good in attack. We missed at least two good chances. We had a seriously weakened central defence and conceded two goals.

Match threads on here have become a joke, with trolls, skates and all sorts just waiting to churn out the doomsday b0ll0cks as fast as they can. Probably not even following the game. Certainly not acknowledging anything positive and reiterating each other's comments as if that then makes them true.

Reading the match day thread and you think we don't even attack and being in a siege. it is pathetic, you then watch (ok edited) playbacks and its a different story. Very few of the brains on there seem to have a clue and only want to act like spoilt kids.

Austin should have given us the lead and had we done so the crowd would be on them . I read that JWP was dire and rubbish but his delivery gave us at least 3 clear chances. Ings was really unlucky and Pikford somehow saved his follow up. As for Phil Neville saying Pickford should not be given a red card, if Ings had left the ground in the same reckless way it would have been an instant red and rightly so.

Reading the match day thread and you think we don't even attack and being in a siege. it is pathetic, you then watch (ok edited) playbacks and its a different story. Very few of the brains on there seem to have a clue and only want to act like spoilt kids.

Austin should have given us the lead and had we done so the crowd would be on them . I read that JWP was dire and rubbish but his delivery gave us at least 3 clear chances. Ings was really unlucky and Pikford somehow saved his follow up. As for Phil Neville saying Pickford should not be given a red card, if Ings had left the ground in the same reckless way it would have been an instant red and rightly so.

TBF people have had two seasons of saying if only we'd scored so its not really a surprise people have been worn down a bit. I've lost count of the games I've watched the last couple of seasons where I've thought "if only we'd scored that opportunity" the problem is we don't and you don't get points for almost scoring or playing well and losing.

Nick - Austin did have a clear header on goal he should have buried; that chance aside he wasn't in the game and looked off the pace and clumsy. JWP did put in a few good corners and a free kick that resulted in chances, including the goal which Lemina glanced on into the path of Ings; apart from that JWP did his normal quota of neat and tidy passes - but he played most of the game on the right wing and never made a run with the ball or ran into attacking areas...that was the problem; good dead ball delivery but as an attacking wide right, not much else and with Austin's lack of mobility we virtually had only two attacking players in the first half- Ings and Redmond, who for the second week in a row looked good. The second half was better - more intensity, a lift in midfield and the subs who offered more in attack.

This.

Way too much negativity on this forum - second game FFS and we never win at Goodison. Pickford's fingertips the difference in the end. Fine margins as was said.

In American Football they have an offensive and a defensive coach - think Hughes needs a dedicated defensive coach to get us properly sorted at the back. Yoshida and Bednarek better than Woedt and Stephens. Bertrand looks off his game and has for a while. But we really need another new CB alongside Vestergard now IMO.

How Austin gets started before Gabbiadini astonishes me. Time for Shlong to go on a goal-scoring and/or assist run soon or move on.

Redmond has been good the first two games - hopefully we're going to see the best of him now. Lemina has class.

Armstrong looks a good addition. Moi too. Think Gunn will be too if McCarthy falters. Ings clearly. So good additions.

Hey, we are soooooo much better than under that clown last season - some mid-table mediocrity would suit us fine after last season.

Obviously, it's too soon to judge the whole season but we looked better in our first two games last season and certainly no worse than we have in the first 2 games this season. We totally dominated Swansea in our opening game, which ended in a scoreless draw, and then we had an entertaining 3-2 win v West Ham. This season, most pundits agree that Burnley and Everton were better than us in our opening games and that they had the majority of play and shots on target.

The addition of Ings has given us a much needed goal scorer but we have lost our most creative midfielder, Tadic, who was also our joint top goal scorer last season. Our manager still doesn't seem to be any closer to knowing what his best team is. Let's hope he learns that before the Leicester game and that we actually do look better in that one.

Nick - Austin did have a clear header on goal he should have buried; that chance aside he wasn't in the game and looked off the pace and clumsy. JWP did put in a few good corners and a free kick that resulted in chances, including the goal which Lemina glanced on into the path of Ings; apart from that JWP did his normal quota of neat and tidy passes - but he played most of the game on the right wing and never made a run with the ball or ran into attacking areas...that was the problem; good dead ball delivery but as an attacking wide right, not much else and with Austin's lack of mobility we virtually had only two attacking players in the first half- Ings and Redmond, who for the second week in a row looked good. The second half was better - more intensity, a lift in midfield and the subs who offered more in attack.

..... the subs offered more in attack. I needed a good laugh. How anyone could think the inept substitutions made by Hughes had that effect is beyond me. Maybe meant Everton offered more in attack.

..... the subs offered more in attack. I needed a good laugh. How anyone could think the inept substitutions made by Hughes had that effect is beyond me. Maybe meant Everton offered more in attack.

So you don't think taking off Romeu for Gabbiadini was an attempt at improving our attack, which up until then was effectively just Redmond and Ings? And replacing a totally ineffective Austin with an attacking player was a bad move? And bringing on Armstrong on for a static Ward-Prowse was also inept was it? You'll have to explain your argument a little more.

So you don't think taking off Romeu for Gabbiadini was an attempt at improving our attack, which up until then was effectively just Redmond and Ings? And replacing a totally ineffective Austin with an attacking player was a bad move? And bringing on Armstrong on for a static Ward-Prowse was also inept was it? You'll have to explain your argument a little more.

So if he had taken off the goalkeeper to add an attacker you’d describe that as an attempt to 8mprove our attack. Throwing countless attackers on without maintaining any kind of possession of the ball is a sure fire strategy to lose.

Replacing a striker with a history of scoring goals with one who has barely scored in 2 years.

Not sure what Armstrong did that couldn’t be described as static if that’s your description of jwp’s display. Probably the least bad of the three but equally bad because Hughes had seen how badly his first 2 moves had gone and this one did nothing to attempt to corr3ct the problem.

Bringing on Long for Austin was a waste of a sub. We went from playing with 10 and a half men to playing with 10.01 ( Long did get one useful touch in injury time) .

As for the other subs, it just gave Everton control of the midfield and Let Wallcot and Sigurdson play one twos through our back line at will. To be fair to Hughes, Koeman used to do pile on the forwards if we were losing sometimes, and it allways had the same effect, no shape and no possesion equals no goal threat.

So if he had taken off the goalkeeper to add an attacker you’d describe that as an attempt to 8mprove our attack. Throwing countless attackers on without maintaining any kind of possession of the ball is a sure fire strategy to lose.

Replacing a striker with a history of scoring goals with one who has barely scored in 2 years.

Not sure what Armstrong did that couldn’t be described as static if that’s your description of jwp’s display. Probably the least bad of the three but equally bad because Hughes had seen how badly his first 2 moves had gone and this one did nothing to attempt to corr3ct the problem.

I agree that Long coming on for Austin didn't inspire confidence, yet Austin has just looked so slow and ineffective I suppose Hughes reasoned Long might put more pressure on the EFC defence in the search for an equaliser. Gabbiadini for Romeu was a positive change as we needed to chase the game and Armstrong who has looked lively as an attacking mid thus far was a fair replacement with 6 minutes to go for Ward-Prowse who hadn't been awful, just ineffective as an attacking midfielder/winger. The criticism of Hughes' changes just aren't supported by the evidence.

How about sending Long back to West Brom in a swap for JayRod? I wish, and oh how I do wish we had never let Jay go.

Wow, that's the main thing you are lamenting amidst everything that has gone wrong over the last couple of seasons?

Rodriguez was dreadful. Getting the money they did for him was one of the rare things the board did well on.

We were undone by an almost unique in present times free kick. Usually and 100% of the time for us players queue up to hit the wall or the spectators behind the goal. It was a common occurrence years ago to have a few slick free kicks but with the advent of the easily bending ball they have gone out of fashion. Personally I'd like to see more of them.

Yet again Soares is targeted by a taller player pulling off onto him. We have conceded so many goals due to his weakness in the air. I was hoping we would cash him in during the summer. He might be a nippy international right back able to play well against passing teams. Against crosses in the Premier league he is a real weakness.

Stephens is a ball watcher, Hoedt needs to learn to stay on his feet, JWP is the perennial clockwork mouse with a decent dead ball delivery but from play apart from backwards and sideways gives nothing in an attacking sense. Too slow, too negative and nowhere near good enough. Sims is a far better player on the right of 4-4-2.

Redmond flattered yet again, looked pacey and lively but he lacks intelligence and anticipation. Ings looks a decent player whilst Austin suffered from our poor attacking especially from the non existent right. The two central midfielders look a mismatch. Lamina looks a good player but if he can't play with the team we are wasting our time. Hojbjerg and Romeu were a pair at the end of the season and gave us a more solid look without the self indulgent Lamina.

Agree with suggestions that Ings and Gabbiadini should start. They are the best options and their movement will cause teams problems. Austin can act as an impact sub if we are behind, has picked up goals off the bench previously. Gallagher next best option. Would sell or loan Long because he doesnt offer anything

Agree with those who say Ings and Gabbiadini should start. Looked more of a threat yesterday but a miracle to only concede two, felt sorry for the full backs with those two jokers at CB. How does Cedric end up marking Richarlison for their second? Hoedt is something else, at least Stephens can play RB, where is actually OK and I wonder if he’ll end up dislodging a misfiring Romeu at DM. JWP had a better second half and Lemina OK.

Vestergaard hopefully only a 24 hour thing and Yoshida back next week. Vardy sending off a bonus for next week.

In Switzerland but even here not out of reach the negative posts by people masquerading as Saints’ fans. True fans support the club and don’t make offensive insults about players and staff.

2-1 from home is not a poor result but if I were a coach or player, reading some of the rubbish posted on here, I’d wonder if it was worth bothering to do your best.

Of the 4 outfield players bought in at a substantial investment to improve the team, only one was fit enough to play so it’s hardly surprising that a strong team like Everton were a huge challenge at home. We should congratulate our team on losing out just by the odd goal in 3.

Of the