Hughes sacked official!

skintsaint

Jesus - Kelvin bloody Davis. Pretty woeful keeper with limited experience running the show for the next game. I guess Flores wanted to start with a win...

He wasn't woeful though was he? Never a PL keeper but most of the time he was brilliant relative to where we were.

He wasn't woeful though was he? Never a PL keeper but most of the time he was brilliant relative to where we were.

I thought his being constantly rooted to his six yard box and general unpredictability - great shot stopping, but countless howlers - was pretty woeful. Others thought he was great.

Oh dear....Here we Goa again. History repeating itself - poor squad, loads of managerial changes, lots of possession but no results, clueless Chairman. Just need the relegation on the last day to seal it.

Goa gain surely?!

(assuming you meant Goa and not Gao)

Presumably a lot of the price fluctuation is down to Wilson name dropping Hussenhuttl, can’t decide whether to add more on Flores now he is drifting out!

I just had a fiver at 8/1. not a bad price seeing as he was evens about an hour ago.

We've been lead down the garden path by Wilson before (Walcott/Promes etc).

Jesus, how much money have we spunked on ****e players and managerial compensation packages over the last three years?
Enough that just giving Koeman what he wanted was by far the cheaper option, and would have seen us in a much stronger position.....

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Have some sympathy for him but even though the play was more attacking and we got some goals, the defence never improved, the fitness seemed questionable and most of all he wasn’t able to fix our brittle confidence.

Hopefully the new man can come in and change things for the better. For a player to come out and say they get terrified when they are winning and know it’ll be a draw soon (paraphrasing) is shocking.

Edited by OttawaSaint

Oh dear....Here we Goa again. History repeating itself - poor squad, loads of managerial changes, lots of possession but no results, clueless Chairman. Just need the relegation on the last day to seal it.

Mods, when are you going to start infracting people for ****ing awful Gao puns? Give your heads a wobble, will you.

Out in the next few windows: Forster, Cedric, Stephens, Bednarek, Hoedt, Targett, McQueen, Clasie, JWP, Davis, Boufal, Austin, Long, Carillo.

Give Vestergaard, Gabbiadini and Elyounoussi the rest of the season to prove their worth.

Bring in a leader at the back.

Thanks Sparky for your efforts in keeping us up, regardless of whether Swansea imploded. Especially liked how he dealt with the shenanigans at Swansea before the game.

Really wanted it to work out for him here but unfortunately he had to go, no home wins at this stage is unacceptable and he was unable to sort out the defence. Shame really as I do feel performances were starting to improve the last few weeks, but too little too late.

That said the players have to take their share of the blame, and whoever the new guy is has a very tough job on his hands.

Good luck Kelvin for Wednesday.

I've been more entertained under Hughes than I was under Puel, just the outcome has been worse.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Each to their own. I don't find throwing away winning positions with tyro league defending overly entertaining if I'm honest.

I'd come away from SMS a lot happier seeing a few solid 1-0 wins.

he also turned down more money from West Ham to stay with us at that time, as I recall, all be it I think he had a very young family at the time and probably didn't want to up sticks. Very little loyalty in football these days. That's about as good as it gets and for that I am grateful. He got a lot of stick during his career at Saints, but he, like many of the players in that squad, played a huge role in getting us promoted from the Championship. How many penalty saves that season? Maybe not the best keeper we have ever had, but players from that squad are `legends' in the loosest sense of the word and forever appreciated.

None of that has any bearing on his management ability, but I hope he brings all kinds of luck with him and we sneak a point against Spurs.

Absolutely 100% this. Well said, Chez.

I didn't expect this if I'm honest, but fair enough. We didn't let this one drag out, we wanted to change it up quickly. Makes you wonder how much influence Les had last year in keeping MPoE for as long as we did (criminal).

I think he's a decent bloke, Hughes, and he did galvanise us a bit last year and did his job in that sense - but the record was just appalling and has been for a long time. I can't see him getting back into work anytime soon after his last couple of roles.

he also turned down more money from West Ham to stay with us at that time, as I recall, all be it I think he had a very young family at the time and probably didn't want to up sticks. Very little loyalty in football these days. That's about as good as it gets and for that I am grateful. He got a lot of stick during his career at Saints, but he, like many of the players in that squad, played a huge role in getting us promoted from the Championship. How many penalty saves that season? Maybe not the best keeper we have ever had, but players from that squad are `legends' in the loosest sense of the word and forever appreciated.

None of that has any bearing on his management ability, but I hope he brings all kinds of luck with him and we sneak a point against Spurs.

I love that our current state means that getting all the luck in the world still only means sneaking a draw :lol:

So, safely sacked while Harry Redknapp is on the other side of the world with no contact with the outside world?

Hughes did a fantastic job of changing our mentality last season, and I've got no doubt we'd have gone down if he hadn't come in.

I do think we've played a lot better than our results indicate this season, and there's been a hefty dose of bad luck in them, not least in the quality of refereeing we've had, but ultimately on paper our results have been terrible.

Never any guarantees with a new manager of course, but our (expected) hiring of Hasenhüttl sounds interesting, especially if we can dig out a gem or two in January.

Hughes did a fantastic job of changing our mentality last season, and I've got no doubt we'd have gone down if he hadn't come in.

I do think we've played a lot better than our results indicate this season, and there's been a hefty dose of bad luck in them, not least in the quality of refereeing we've had, but ultimately on paper our results have been terrible.

Agree with all of this.

Ultimately results & the nature of defeats (chucking away so many leads) gave the club no option really. But with a bit of luck we’d have 4 or 5 more points. The fact we’ve suddenly started finding the net gives the new bloke some hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelvin just said he won’t be in charge Saturday, a new manager will be in place.

Not quite..

Asked if him being given control only up to Wednesday’s Tottenham trip suggests a permanent appointment will happen before the weekend, Davis replied: “To me it does indicate that.

“But whether that happens or not will be up to the guys upstairs. I’m taking the team up until Wednesday and we’ll see after that.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-6455257/Kelvin-Davis-expects-swift-Southampton-appointment.html

I love that our current state means that getting all the luck in the world still only means sneaking a draw :lol:

We have won once against them in 12 games home and away since our return to the top flight. There has been a few years when I thought we had a good to chance to win away at Spurs. The FA cup game in 1990 was one, the game that helped get Hoddle the sack another and anything seemed possible in 2003 and 2014. But if you are honest, getting some luck and sneaking a draw is not exactly an unusual outlook for Saints fans.

Thanks Sparky for your efforts in keeping us up, regardless of whether Swansea imploded. Especially liked how he dealt with the shenanigans at Swansea before the game.

Really wanted it to work out for him here but unfortunately he had to go, no home wins at this stage is unacceptable and he was unable to sort out the defence. Shame really as I do feel performances were starting to improve the last few weeks, but too little too late.

That said the players have to take their share of the blame, and whoever the new guy is has a very tough job on his hands.

Good luck Kelvin for Wednesday.

What a nice balanced post, my sentiments exactly !

Well said !

I wasn't being serious...

I reckon the mods had a meeting about your suggestion. Decided eventually not to infract people for Goa puns, then all came here together to tell you to watch your bloody mouth. Four of them within the space of a few minutes!! :D