Thank god this season is done

washsaint

no matter how much we chat about it over the summer, the long and short of it is that it will be pretty similar next season. Without massive spending by the owner, it will take years to gradually offload the **** and replace with better. All we can hope for is good signings that help move us in the right direction, all be it slowly, and perhaps some good form to enable us to go on a cup run.

no matter how much we chat about it over the summer, the long and short of it is that it will be pretty similar next season. Without massive spending by the owner, it will take years to gradually offload the **** and replace with better. All we can hope for is good signings that help move us in the right direction, all be it slowly, and perhaps some good form to enable us to go on a cup run.

Agree with you but at least this manager will be an absolute pain for Ross in the press if he doesn’t actually put in some work this summer after learning all Les)s bad habits. Also, he won’t be afraid to banish the likes of Fraser or Wesley if their agents don’t pull their weight or they refuse to compromise on pay cuts to move on. I get the impression Hoedt is so desperate he actually might take a cut to go.

Massive question marks still over the owner and people running the club.

Why is Ross still there?

Looking at that earlier table we only won 5 home games all season.

we need to improve on that.

Im not sure we’ll get the complete overhaul some might be expecting. Just maybe one or two players in the summer then another one or two in January .

People thinking a top 10 finish is near are deluded today was bad and shows we are light years away from 12th let alone top 10, tough job coming up but maybe with a few better players next year we may get to this point. one things for sure with this lot is the blind panic in the whole team with a simple punt up field good luck Ralph.

Take Ralph’s PPG this season (1.3 based on 8 wins and 6 draws in 23 games) extrapolate over a full 38 game season and it gets you 49 points, which is good enough for 12th in the 2018-19 PL table.

Take Ralph’s PPG this season (1.3 based on 8 wins and 6 draws in 23 games) extrapolate over a full 38 game season and it gets you 49 points, which is good enough for 12th in the 2018-19 PL table.

*sigh*

a season does not work like that.

A very Meh season though it wasn't all terrible beating Arsenal and Spurs at home where highlights. Valery breaking through, Jan Bednarek emerging as a decent player and Redmond stepping up has been nice to watch as well.

Just hoping Ralph can get a couple of new faces in, maybe find another youngster or two that can step up to the big league and we can offload the dross this summer.

*sigh*

a season does not work like that.

We scored 9 points in 16 games before Hassenhuttl took over.

Its not unreasonable to summise that we'd have achieved significantly more than 9 points in those 16 games had Hasenhuttl been manager from the start of the season.

Football is about opinions.

I respect your opinion that we wouldn't have scraped into the top 10 with Ralph at the helm for the whole season (you may well be right, but we'll never know), so how about respecting my opinion that I think we would have just about got into the top 10 rather than scoff every time someone expresses a hunch that you don't agree with and trott out the highly intellectual "dinlow" retort...?

Yes, we've got a decidedly average squad.

Yes, we need to significantly improve the squad.

Yes, we agree on more than we disagree.

Love and peace

9e8ace89174a9d45fa2306981ac20e75.png

Edited by trousers

**** me more whinging fans - this forum is the dictionary definition of a half glass empty. Enjoy the Summer and let Ralph get on with his job.

This, very clear that once safety was achieved the team slacked off a little, which is has now enabled the whingers to come out in force and declare everyone is rubbish.

Funny when we are beating people they are all stum but suddenly a few draws and these pathetic creatures come out of the woodwork.

Redmond, Gunn, Valery, Hojbjerg and JWP are the silver lining in what has been a forgettable season.

We need to get our centre back situation sorted ASAP. Whether Vestergaard and Bednarek have enough quality for a top half finish I'm just not sure.

Besides that, a new RB (or cover for Valery), a solid striker and getting rid of the January loan-outs must be top of our agenda.

If we made those transfers, with perhaps 2 or so attacking signings like a Number 10 (we really don't have a single proper playmaker as Tadic was) and a Winger, I'd be very happy.

I think Romeu/Lemina/PEH have shown they do possess good qualities to be our first choice holding midfielders alone or in a pair, and perhaps a pre season and having better players around them would help.

The outbox will be the most difficult to complete :

Hoedt, Carillo, Boufal (maybe), Reed, Clasie, Cedric, Gallagher, Forster, Stevens and Austin all need to go !

If that can be achieved and it won't be easy, then we need 4 or 5 signings plus bring on some youngsters !

Gonna be a busy summer for Ralph and his team, good luck guys !!

Whilst we could no doubt do with quite a number of new players I'm not sure wholesale changes over one transfer window are either possible or desirable. I was listening to some radio programme commenting on all the purchases Fulham made last summer, which at the time people thought would help them, but in retrospect it was argued that perhaps they should have retained more of the core of their team which got promotion.

I think the "yeast" approach is better: a few decent players to lift the stodge of the rest of the team when the heat is on next season. We don't really want any of the loanees back (apart from having a look at Boufal I'd say) although how we're going to get rid of them I really don't know. That's ignoring people like Reed who would be an asset to some club. Goodbye Austin and Forster (somehow) and other bit part players.

I'm going to retain some optimism for the summer if only because the drip of negativity from some posters on here isn't reflecting realism, they're just tedious and repetitive, and it's far better to address life with a bit of positivity.

I think Saints and Huddersfield are the only teams not to have any players included on the pick your team of the season on BBC website. Cardiff, Fulham and Burnely all have at least one player to choose from but it being such a poor season for us none of our squad are deemed good enough. edmond's probably been our stand out performer, but his haul of 9 goals pales in comparison to others. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48243885

Last season was horrible, so I hoped that this would be better; and it was, marginally. After 10 games I thought we were done for, and then after the second Cardiff game I'd written us off. So to stay up with 2 games to go, I'd have bitten your hand off after that Cardiff game. Am I too fussed that we tailed off in the last few games? Not really, because the style of play Ralph needs is so full on that once you take away what we are playing for, it's not going to be nearly as effective. We needed to stay up, we did that and now we can look forward to next season. We circled the drain and got out, and so many clubs haven't done that.

If we can achieve top half form with the gaping holes we have in our squad now, then with what we suspect will be a big summer, I'd expect a stress free season next year which would be very nice after the last two. We even fixed our horrible home form voodoo.

We need a rebuild. Our defence still concedes too many, and our attack is too short on options.

I am certainly more optimistic than pessimistic for next year, with Ralph in charge we have someone who has a clear idea of what he wants; and he has said that we will be busy.

We have an average squad and 10th/11th is bang average.

You can't judge this season without taking Mark Hughes into account.

If the season had been the other way around and Hughes had come in and we'd slumped to a relegation battle after a good start I'd understand the moaning. But we've had 5 months of largely positive developments and plenty to be optimistic about.

People talking about mid table like it's some impossible task that requires a huge overhaul can't have been paying much attention the last few years. The almost impossible challenge is top 6, not mid table.

Look at the clubs in mid-table though. Palace, Watford, West Ham, Everton - unfortuntley they are now ahead of us squad and ability wise. You may catch them on the off day, but generally they have better players than us.

We do require an overhaul to pull back towards those sides. We need power power and pace up top, more power and pace out wide, more mobility and pace at the back and a lot more depth at RB and CB.

We have an average squad and 10th/11th is bang average.

You can't judge this season without taking Mark Hughes into account.

If the season had been the other way around and Hughes had come in and we'd slumped to a relegation battle after a good start I'd understand the moaning. But we've had 5 months of largely positive developments and plenty to be optimistic about.

People talking about mid table like it's some impossible task that requires a huge overhaul can't have been paying much attention the last few years. The almost impossible challenge is top 6, not mid table.

Look at the clubs in mid-table though. Palace, Watford, West Ham, Everton - unfortuntley they are now ahead of us squad and ability wise. You may catch them on the off day, but generally they have better players than us.

We do require an overhaul to pull back towards those sides. We need power power and pace up top, more power and pace out wide, more mobility and pace at the back and a lot more depth at RB and CB.

This is why Goa decided to buy the club. It is why after a drab display against the worst side in the division, Goa doesn’t regret his decision in the slightest. Goa absolutely loves the passion.

Either turn your predictive text off or learn how to spell the chairman's name. As I'm sure you're aware Goa is in India!

They're also more than capable of having a nightmare season, though you have to give them praise for the improvements they've made, but two of those have spent a lot of money, and have far larger wage bills (Everton & West Ham).

The table is split into more than 2 tiers this season.

City

Liverpool

Tottenham

Chelsea

Arsenal

Man Utd

Everton

West Ham

Leicester

Wolves

Watford

Bournemouth

Newcastle

Palace

Saints

Burnley

Brighton

3 promoted sides

Could easily see those teams moving about a bit next year, but can't see the bottom 6 finishing top half, and can't see the top half teams being relegated. If we can get to the top of the next group of teams. we'll finish comfortably mid-table on 50ish points, something that is not out of the question, but we need to get the summer recruitment right, and move the ones we don't want on to other clubs. And sort ourselves out mentally so we stop throwing away leads.

Did we play well for 90 minutes in any match? I'm struggling to think of one.

Home v Bournemouth we completely dominated for 90 minutes but still shipped 3 goals.

Huddersfield away was very comfortable.

Er.....?

Home v Bournemouth we completely dominated for 90 minutes but still shipped 3 goals.

Er.....?

Probably not to be fair - been a long time since we really dominated a game from start to finish, and where the fans have been confident of the win. Even the Huddersfield game you quote, the Billings goal was a gimme, really think Alex should've dealt with it, so even that was not entirely comfortable. It let them back into the game for a period until Oberfemi got the third.

On the other side of the coin there's Spurs at home - we could / should've been 3 down at the break but got there at 0 - 1 and then went on to win it in the 2nd half.

But ultimately you're right - it's a long time since we put in a good solid 90 minute plus performance.

Er.....?

No we didn't, they were all over us from their equaliser until half time. Helps prove your point though :)

We were pretty dominant against Fulham. Lack of fitness meant they nearly came back into it, but you can't expect to go a whole game without the opposition having any chances at all.

Er.....?

Fulham at home was pretty comfortable for us. 2-0 and can't recall Fulham having many chances or possession

Er.....?

Everton at home?

It's not very funny, not clever and very disrespectful.
I'm not passing judgement on it either way. It's just pointless that people keep pointing out people are spelling his name wrong when certain posters are clear doing it on purpose.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Top 6 (obviously) , the four you list plus Leicester and Wolves all comfortably ahead of us and to a certain extent Newcastle. Which of our players, if any, would any of those teams want? Redmond, Hojberg, JWP, Valery, Bertrand, Romeu, possibly Ings and at an absolute Stretch Armstrong who in reality I've only included for the 70's toy pun value.