Saints 2 Chelsea 3

St Chalet

Last four games: 0-3, 0-3, 2-3, 2-3.

Doesn't matter if it's three, four, five, six at the back - our defence is horrible. Top of the league now in goals conceded from headers: and Ducker Stephens wasn't even playing.

Reminder: in the last year Les has sold both of our starting centre backs for £80m or so combined, and replaced them with our third and fourth choice centre backs and a chap from Lazio reserves for £15m.

Great business model on the spreadsheet, but relegation whilst making a tidy profit is a depressingly soulless approach to running a football club.

Sad. Today isn't why we're going down - we gave a good account of ourselves for 70 minutes. The rot set in a long time ago.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Today illustrates exactly why we are going down. Even 2 of our wins(against west ham and WBA away) felt like we tried to throw them away.

To be fair Bertrand tried his guts out today and provided much of our attacking opportunities along with Tadic (first half) and Long.

He did do well, but ffs, don't be laughing on the pitch after that. Just confirms that ultimately he ain't that bothered.

£330 million of player sales since Les took over "everything", despite all the premier league riches.... Not a single protest at our "management"

Name me another club that would allow star players to be sold over n over n over without compliant and I'll retract my statement.

Go and protest then you dickhead, stop calling out the fans that support the club and calling them gutless. You're too gutless to leave your keyboard and actually go to a game. You are the gutless fan, not them.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

At least those fans who said they’d be happy if we lost 3-2 or 4-3 every game but gave it a go are getting their wish.

We just handed momentum to all our relegation rivals before they play

Yeah I would rather watch that than watch the games we threw points away in against Huddersfield, Watford, Brighton and Burnley.

Even though we lost in a gut wrenching fashion I actually enjoyed the game more than the **** shows we endured earlier in the season against teams we SHOULD have beat.

Yeah the parallels with 05 are startling:

The first home win 3-2 v West Ham being similar to the 3-2 v Blackburn. Dodgy last minute pen.

The failure to beat awful teams at home like 05: Charlton, Birmingham, Fulham, Boro, Palace, WBA = 18 Huddesfield, Brighton, Swansea, Stoke, Watford, Burnley

That was surely the Aston Villa moment wasn't it. Does anyone know what number game or weekend that Villa game was?

Just like 2005. Horrendous game management at 2-1. 10 minutes will undoubtably send us down, we aren't coming back from this.
It's not "game management" that's the problem in my opinion, it's **** defending, pure and simple. Our defenders are no longer good enough for this league and will crumble and make mistakes when pressured by a quality side. Giroud was clinical in taking advantage of that.

When you play the good sides, you have to be able to withstand periods of pressure. People will say we sat back too much, I don't really think that was the case. You need to defend better, end of.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The first home win 3-2 v West Ham being similar to the 3-2 v Blackburn. Dodgy last minute pen.

The failure to beat awful teams at home like 05: Charlton, Birmingham, Fulham, Boro, Palace, WBA = 18 Huddesfield, Brighton, Swansea, Stoke, Watford, Burnley

That was surely the Aston Villa moment wasn't it. Does anyone know what number game or weekend that Villa game was?

At least we've got a cracking 4-3 win coming up

yep. that game was played 16th April 2005. Game number 33.

Almost the same as this game today.

Its weird how people are saying you can’t blame Hughes for today?

Yes, he has got the players working harder and he has found a system that helps us to make a game of it.

But, at 2-1 up we could see Saints starting to crumble and 4 minutes later it was 2-2.

The next 4 minutes we never even touched the ball as the heads had gone.

Bang its 2-3 and not once did Hughes even think about changing it.

I’m sorry but I was screaming for subs for at least 7 minutes and he reacted far too late.

What worries me is that as soon as we concede one, we utterly capitulate.

1st min vs Newcastle - game over

Early vs WHU - game over

Arse equalize and then take the lead shortly after, we did rally but defence was a mess after that.

Today - first one went in while we were napping, boom game over 9 minutes later.

Have always hated Giroud and knew we would lose as soon as he started warming up - cost us with a plus 7 minute sucker punch at Arsenal and then they sell him to Chelsea and you know it’s going to happen again - hope he suffers a career ending injury or worse!

Are you labelling him?
No, as I told him in the reply to his stupid 'respect me' message, he has labelled himself, not anyone on this forum. He is a dickhead of a troll.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yes, he has got the players working harder and he has found a system that helps us to make a game of it.

But, at 2-1 up we could see Saints starting to crumble and 4 minutes later it was 2-2.

I’m sorry but I was screaming for subs for at least 7 minutes and he reacted far too late.

What makes you think bringing on a sub would change anything in this situation? The problem is our poor defenders and we have noone better that we can bring on! The people on the pitch need to do the job at the end of the day.

It can never be quite as bad as 2005, we don't have to go to fat pipes park and lose 4-1......

What makes you think bringing on a sub would change anything in this situation? The problem is our poor defenders and we have noone better that we can bring on! The people on the pitch need to do the job at the end of the day.

It would at the very least have broken the game up and allowed an attempt to re-organise. Equally someone like Lemina who is composed on the ball usually would have been handy. The 2nd goal would have been stopped if Ward Prowse had of shown composure when the ball came to him in space at the edge of the box. Instead he wildly swiped at it resulting in the ball going straight back to Chelsea.

Yoshida and Hoedt are both mentally so, so weak.

That CB pairing would be relegatee from the PL every season.

We are down, and rightfully so. We cannot defend, four games in a row we have conceded three times.

Reed sold our good defenders and didn't replace them. Simple as that.

To some extent I agree. Hughes did a good job setting us up and getting some drive into the players but that was crying out for Lemina to give us a bit more energy in midfield.

£330 million of player sales since Les took over "everything", despite all the premier league riches.... Not a single protest at our "management"

Name me another club that would allow star players to be sold over n over n over without compliant and I'll retract my statement.

And we've spent the majority of that, genius.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

What would you have changed mate? Pied was the only defensive player on the bench, not even any centre mids.

If we had decent players with the heart and balls that Hughes has installed the past few weeks, 8 games would have been enough to pull clear.

Today was our Aston Villa (H) 2005 moment. We are down. Time to clear out the off - field management, first team squad, lick our ounds and start again - under Hughes if he’s up for the fight

It would at the very least have broken the game up and allowed an attempt to re-organise. Equally someone like Lemina who is composed on the ball usually would have been handy. The 2nd goal would have been stopped if Ward Prowse had of shown composure when the ball came to him in space at the edge of the box. Instead he wildly swiped at it resulting in the ball going straight back to Chelsea.
Yep, composure was lacking, defensive quality was very much lacking as well. I'm just unconvinced by the argument that making a sub would have magically resolved everything in our favour. The players and in particular the defence need to be better and mentally stronger in these situations to beat the likes of Chelsea and I don't think Hughes can be expected to resolve that overnight.

I

What would you have changed mate? Pied was the only defensive player on the bench, not even any centre mids.

I would of put VVD on to shore up the defence, Long off for Mane and Lallana for JWP.

Oh hold on they are all too busy winning the champions league for Les Reed’s Liverpool.

Semi agree we needed some extra legs in midfield , the starters had run themselves into the ground but to be fair options on bench in that area were limited

My real anger is that I believe Hughes would have saved us comfortably given two more months. He still might, but it's looking tough.

In a few games he's identified a system and the players he wants and has almost got them doing the job. Of course, we are short of one quality CB and maybe a striker, but the team that started today looks coherent and can create goals.

And that anger is only matched by what I can only call blatent cheating by Mike Dean.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I

I would of put VVD on to shore up the defence, Long off for Mane and Lallana for JWP.

Oh hold on they are all too busy winning the champions league for Les Reed’s Liverpool.

Let's not forget Lovren. For all the stick he gets, he is better than the 5 CBs we currently have.

My real anger is that I believe Hughes would have saved us comfortably given two more months. He still might, but it's looking tough.

In a few games he's identified a system and the players he wants and has almost got them doing the job. Of course, we are short of one quality CB and maybe a striker, but the team that started today looks coherent and can create goals.

And that anger is only matched by what I can only call blatent cheating by Mike Dean.

The decision not to send Alonso off was terrible and cowardly. He had a clear view and was only a few feet away. You don't see JWP lose his cool much, which says it all. Did Hughes mention it?

Disgusting how he let several fouls go. Then when he did blow no cards shown until he gave weak ones to Hoj and JWP. Then he had a clear view of that stamping challenge by Alonso and did nothing. He didn’t even wave play on for that foul on Long in the box, so didn’t feel it was a foul at all. Before Bednerek scored he was held and pulled down in the box, no call.

It’s ****ing hard enough with our players being so low on confidence and the opposition able to bring the class of Giroud and Pedro on, but to have a referee favour the bigger team is just plain corrupt. Cheating pure and simple.

Another thing about Dean is that it was really clear that Chelsea had recognized Long as a threat and that if they battered him he’d be less effective. They were kicking lumps out of him and Dean did nothing. Now imagine if we’d have used the same tactic on Hazard…

Dean has said he was to close to action to see Alonso trying to break longs leg what a klucking joke no wonder we have no refs at this years World Cup

No excuse for defeat but Alonso was involved in some shape in all Chelsea goals

Agreed.

Dean has said he was to close to action to see Alonso trying to break longs leg what a klucking joke no wonder we have no refs at this years World Cup

No excuse for defeat but Alonso was involved in some shape in all Chelsea goals

What a joke. Shroppie is angry and that doesn't happen very often. [emoji34]