Watch buying

thesaint sfc

Nice :)

How thick is it? I like chronometers but they must be thin with a clean dial.

It's not that thick tbh and it goes against what i'd say is a traditional Breitling these days by having a normal sized face rather than a massive one. It's a really nice watch and the Montbrilliant Navitimer seems to hold it's value a bit better than the normal Navitimer. Saying that the 01 model will keep it's value better.

Have a look at this model, it's not too flashy at all, is smaller than usual Breitling Chronometers and the face is stunning imo.

It's a hell of a lot less flashy that the massive Chronomat i've got!

If you are genuinely interested in buying a chronograph watch and you want one thats not too beefy and flashy then i'd recommend the Montbrilliant Navitimer. I'll post a picture of it on my wrist next week if you like so you can get some perspective on it's size.

Edited by Shance

It's not that thick tbh and it goes against what i'd say is a traditional Breitling these days by having a normal sized face rather than a massive one. It's a really nice watch and the Montbrilliant Navitimer seems to hold it's value a bit better than the normal Navitimer. Saying that the 01 model will keep it's value better.

Have a look at this model, it's not too flashy at all, is smaller than usual Breitling Chronometers and the face is stunning imo.

It's a hell of a lot less flashy that the massive Chronomat i've got!

If you are genuinely interested in buying a chronograph watch and you want one thats not too beefy and flashy then i'd recommend the Montbrilliant Navitimer. I'll post a picture of it on my wrist next week if you like so you can get some perspective on it's size.

• 2 weeks later...
In a cruel twist of fate, I've had to send the watch back for a full refund. So I'm currently in the market for a large faced Breitling Navitimer. :lol:

Got mine from an American chap called Bob in the jewellers in the new shopping area in Newbury- the one with the 01 movement. Nice chap - touch of the Simpson's Gill about him but he's knowledgable enough (about Jeremy France in WInchester's divorce anyway - ha ha ;-))

Got mine from an American chap called Bob in the jewellers in the new shopping area in Newbury- the one with the 01 movement. Nice chap - touch of the Simpson's Gill about him but he's knowledgable enough (about Jeremy France in WInchester's divorce anyway - ha ha ;-))

Poor old Jeremy's got divorced???

I wonder who got to keep the jewellery?

Nice mate. I've found one I like. Navitimer World (46mm face so whitey won't like it. it's big ;))

Hopefully pick it up this week.

• 2 weeks later...
Feel free not to buy the real thing if you don't value it.
I dont buy the fake or the real thing for my own use. I buy the real ones to trade on in my day to day life, although Iam very careful about the source as I said very early in this thread that the fakes are very difficult to tell nowadays.

doesnt somebody buy the genuine one to show off?

Maybe but if you bought a Ferrari it might not be to solely to show off.

If it was fake and had a clapped out old engine underneath clearly you would be wanting people to see you pretendI got to have enough income to afford a Ferrari.

Maybe but if you bought a Ferrari it might not be to solely to show off.

If it was fake and had a clapped out old engine underneath clearly you would be wanting people to see you pretendI got to have enough income to afford a Ferrari.

But a Ferrari performs in a way that a lot of other cars can't.

Most of these watches do nothing, in terms of output, that a £10 Casio can't do.

So you're paying for craftsmanship for its own sake, or for investment purposes, or to show off.

I would imagine the third category is most common. That's not a value judgment, just my expectation.

Most of these watches do nothing, in terms of output, that a £10 Casio can't do.

So you're paying for craftsmanship for its own sake, or for investment purposes, or to show off.

I would imagine the third category is most common. That's not a value judgment, just my expectation.

Or potentially all 3?

Ok some large woman with saggy tits wearing an ill fitting fake Armani sweatshirt bought on Shirley High St. Dunno what point I'm making but is funny

The fakes can be half decent but you get your hands on them and they are easy enough to spot. The feel of a real watch is nice. You can tell it's quality and the movement inside has to be with around 6 seconds a day acurate to conform to COSC. Other wise it will not be classed as a chronometer. Me personally, I just love watches and would rather buy a quality time piece than a fake. A fake can set you back hundreds even when advertised as fake and resale value is f all. Mine will hold a fairly decent value now for quite some years as not only did I get it a little bit cheaper it's also a desirable model. Not rare but a bit iconic.

A lot of people that like to show off buy fakes.

I don't understand people that moan about expensive watches. They are extremely collectible and like all walks of life they can either be cheap or expensive. If you don't like them then don't buy them and definitely don't moan about them on a thread for them.

People can spend their own money on whatever they like at the end of the day and imo you can't beat the look of a quality time piece. They ooze class.

Edited by Shance

Poor old Jeremy's got divorced???

I wonder who got to keep the jewellery?

According to Bob they both did, and one of them works Monday, Weds, Friday and the other Tuesday Thursday on alternate weeks or something like that. He says he quit because it was a case of "I don't agree with this, you tell that man to do x y z Bob". Could be sales crap - I was waiting for my glass of champers and all the paperwork at the time :-)

There's a small independent clock and watch shop in Winchester just down from the Stable and opposite Gieves and Hawkes. They have an original Heuer Monaco from 1960something in there at the moment and a lovely Mark 1 Rolex Submariner with a green bezel. Anyway, he was saying there is an American company making fake watches now with real movements basically to allow owners to keep the real watch in the safe and wear the fake (like hanging a reproduction painting on the wall). They can copy any watch in the world but it's 5 grand give or take for the fake...

According to Bob they both did, and one of them works Monday, Weds, Friday and the other Tuesday Thursday on alternate weeks or something like that. He says he quit because it was a case of "I don't agree with this, you tell that man to do x y z Bob". Could be sales crap - I was waiting for my glass of champers and all the paperwork at the time :-)

There's a small independent clock and watch shop in Winchester just down from the Stable and opposite Gieves and Hawkes. They have an original Heuer Monaco from 1960something in there at the moment and a lovely Mark 1 Rolex Submariner with a green bezel. Anyway, he was saying there is an American company making fake watches now with real movements basically to allow owners to keep the real watch in the safe and wear the fake (like hanging a reproduction painting on the wall). They can copy any watch in the world but it's 5 grand give or take for the fake...

£5000?

At that price somebody will end up faking the fakes.

Thanks for the update, very interesting.

As an aside, watches have been one of the best, liquid small investments I have made over the years. If you buy small run unusual chronometers then so far they've always gone up. Having said that 2017 is a year of oversupply as the Chinese have stopped buying and the Superrich are in for the 130k jobs as above so if it'll remain a good haven who knows :)

As someone who used to work in the watch trade, Goldsmiths despite the large, national brand are quite actually quite good and have a wide selection, however if you are after a better deal £££ wise, go to Parkhouse (assuming you are near Southampton) as easier to negotiate a lower price there. I've got a Breitling Superocean Heritage myself, and quite prefer them over rolex as the movement is better (again probably i'm biased but, meh) but if purchsaing a second nice watch i'd look at Bell and Ross (because they look cool) or Omega.

I can confirm that goldsmiths are decent, picked up a Tag automatic Calibre from them, good service and lots to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
#BrandVictim

acd74349591ac5054aafb99f60560689.jpg

Love your sea dweller but that Daytona is a proper stand out watch, quite rare and hugely sort after although I prefer the black ceramic face. Btw did you see the old man that took his original GMT master on the antiques road show?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...