England Under 21's - Clyne and Shaw selected for UEFA U21 Euro 2013

Smirking_Saint

It does apart from the Striking options with Sordell, Wickham and Zaha.

Congrats to Shaw and Clyne though, Pearce seemed to get a bit iffy with Shaw about his withdrawals so glad he got over that.

Pretty much what I was thinking but then we have Sturridge and Welbeck who are both young, J Rod if he keeps getting better maybe, Rooney if he ever decides to start playing properly again.

But looking at the under 21's as a whole it looks good for the future

Good squad, awful manager. Will no doubt continue the England methodology and pick Rose and Wisdom over Clyne and Shaw.

Personally I'd go:

Steele

Clyne Caulker Dawson Shaw

McManaman Henderson Townsend

Zaha Wickham Ince

Just really lacking a proper striker. Not sure where the young striking talent is really. Plenty of pace and width though.

You know that the u21s under Pearce has easily been England's most successful period? - qualification after qualification including runners-up and losing a semi-final on pens. Results since the last tournament:

25/03/2013 England 4 - 0 Austria Under-21s International Win

21/03/2013 England 3 - 0 Romania Under-21s International Win

05/02/2013 England 4 - 0 Sweden Under-21s International Win

13/11/2012 England 2 - 0 Northern Ireland Under-21s International Win

16/10/2012 Serbia 0 - 1 England European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

12/10/2012 England 1 - 0 Serbia European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

10/09/2012 England 1 - 0 Norway European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

06/09/2012 Azerbaijan 0 - 2 England European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

29/02/2012 England 4 - 0 Belgium European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

14/11/2011 Belgium 2 - 1 England European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Loss

10/11/2011 England 5 - 0 Iceland European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

10/10/2011 Norway 1 - 2 England European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

06/10/2011 Iceland 0 - 3 England European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

05/09/2011 England 4 - 1 Israel Under-21s International Win

01/09/2011 England 6 - 0 Azerbaijan European Championship, Israel 2013, Regional Stages Win

So that's P15 W14 D0 L1 F43 A4 GD+39.

Yep Pearce is doing an awful job.

Good for them, though it would have been an absolute travesty if they hadn't been selected.

With perhaps the exception of Rose, Clyne has more premier league starts this season than anyone else in the squad.

And Shaw has become a regular prem starter in a way that the majority of squad has not.

G'warn lads!

Agree with Alpine above (twice in a day, blimey!) couple of decent quality CBs (potentially Forren - I'm reserving judgement until I see him) and defence should look pretty solid.

Would love to really break the bank and go all out for a really top, top CB.

Any way I digress, good on the boys, their performances this season fully warrant selection. Not long until they are in the full squad I would imagine, if they keep up their current form.

Shaw looked immense from the bits I saw on sunday.

Good squad, awful manager. Will no doubt continue the England methodology and pick Rose and Wisdom over Clyne and Shaw.

Personally I'd go:

Steele

Clyne Caulker Dawson Shaw

McManaman Henderson Townsend

Zaha Wickham Ince

Just really lacking a proper striker. Not sure where the young striking talent is really. Plenty of pace and width though.

What would be wrong about picking Rose ahead of Shaw? I agree though, cr@p manager.

G'warn lads!

Agree with Alpine above (twice in a day, blimey!) couple of decent quality CBs (potentially Forren - I'm reserving judgement until I see him) and defence should look pretty solid.

Would love to really break the bank and go all out for a really top, top CB.

Any way I digress, good on the boys, their performances this season fully warrant selection. Not long until they are in the full squad I would imagine, if they keep up their current form.

Shaw looked immense from the bits I saw on sunday.

I actually think if you put Yoshi next to someone dominant and not prone to mistakes then we would be pretty solid.

I actually think if you put Yoshi next to someone dominant and not prone to mistakes then we would be pretty solid.

I don't disagree with that, but for me Fonte & Jos aren't good enough.

I really like both of them, but if we are going to kick on as planned (Cortese staying granted) then these two aren't going to play a huge part in that.

Leaves us pretty light at the back!

I don't disagree with that, but for me Fonte & Jos aren't good enough.

I really like both of them, but if we are going to kick on as planned (Cortese staying granted) then these two aren't going to play a huge part in that.

Leaves us pretty light at the back!

I think Fonte is adequate back up, especially considering he'll be on relatively low wages compared to other defenders, but i really hope hooiveld is moved on next season. Can see him going to one of the failed play off teams.

I think Fonte is adequate back up, especially considering he'll be on relatively low wages compared to other defenders, but i really hope hooiveld is moved on next season. Can see him going to one of the failed play off teams.

I basically agree, as I agree with Kev, Fonte will do as backup (though their is also Forren) but Jos has made far too many mistakes this year.

I think Pochettino doesn't rate Fonte as highly. Seems to prefer Jos who, much as I like the guy, really needs to move. Would like to see us add some real quality here.

For me, ideal scenario would be a 'marquee'-type signing at CB ready to go, in addition to a very good young CB, who can do a job if required.

But I doubt that will happen, so it's irrelevant, as all this is to the thread ;)

low wages and yet he has the biggest flashiest motor yet to be seen in the SO postal district. You don't buy a Bentley like that on 5 bob a week.Reckon he cut himself a great deal when he signed; dropped a division on the understanding that he would be handsomely rewarded for each step on the upward path. I'd wager Fonte is on a packet.

one plays for Chelsea (in theory) the other cost 10 million quid (arf arf) Pearce is as clueless as the rest of them; big club or big money =good player.

Meh, striking options at under 21 level is a bit short, I imagine he wants to use Wickham for his height with wide pace players.

McEchran, had a v big name for himself in youth football but has done naff all since, other than those picked, what are the options here ?

Meh, striking options at under 21 level is a bit short, I imagine he wants to use Wickham for his height with wide pace players.

McEchran, had a v big name for himself in youth football but has done naff all since, other than those picked, what are the options here ?

In fairness he was voted Boros young player of the season for 12-13 whilst there on loan. He's obviously done something right.

And even if he does leave Chelsea, it doesn't mean he's not good enough. Jack Cork is proof of that.

----------------BUTLAND----------------

CLYNE----CAULKER----DAWSON----SHAW

--------CHALOBAH----HENDERSON-------

INCE-------------ZAHA-------TOWNSEND

---------------WICKHAM----------------

Not a bad side really. Great to see two Saints players in there as well - any chance of more Saints players being called up for U19, U17 level this summer?