Obafemi

washsaint

Can't help thinking that Ralph's latest slagging off of Obafemi is terrible man management.

He played really well against Arsenal and caused all sorts of problems yet Ralph now comes out and slams his professionalism. Way to build up a youngster Ralph!

Keep this sort of stuff behind closed doors - I really think Ralph believes he is a lot smarter than he really is. Plenty of head scratching moments this season.

SO does this mean the prolific Long will start ahead of Obafemi against Watford?

That's half the problem with footballers now, can't take a dressing down!

Fully back the manager here it's how it should be!

How do you know he hasn't tried to keep it in house, but things got to far so took it to the next step

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

because of the frankly extreme media attention young players in today's football get, some maybe prone to developing an ego, actually thinking they're the next Ronaldo or messi, so start thinking they don't need to train as hard or even harder than others just because they have talent. so I guess those types need this kind of treatment to get them back down to earth. sure you may have talent, but that only gets you so far if you're gonna sit on you're arse.

anyone remember Adel Taarabt? he had bags of talent and could've become a superstar had he also had the discipline and hard work others of less talent have. he's now in some obscure club and way past his prime, like 30 something. also others come to mind like ravel Morrison, Ben arfa even balotelli. such a shame to see such rare talent wasted.

I couldn't disagee more with the OP. He's told it as it is, and has mentioned it before. Probably has tried to keep it in house, but if he claims he deserves to be in the first XI and the manager doesn't agree I have no problem with it.

Clearly his personal life is an issue, and unless he grows up a bit and sorts it out, he wont make it in the premier league.

Ralph's said before that Obafemi needs to take a lot more personal responsibility for his fitness and that the club have done all they can to help him.

If he's throwing fast food down his throat all the time then he's an idiot who will ruin the chance he has to have a decent career.

We had similar with Luke Shaw who wasn't allowed to move out of his digs because the club thought he was too stupid to be able to cope on his own and would just end up in Nandos every day.

If he's late and eating **** as a 18yr old footballer who has the chance of a life time then he is a fool.

We were all fools at 18 but none of us had the opportunity he has.

He should be learning from whoever is the model pro we have (jwp, yoshida etc).

What's his agent doing not kicking him up the arse.

I couldn't disagee more with the OP. He's told it as it is, and has mentioned it before. Probably has tried to keep it in house, but if he claims he deserves to be in the first XI and the manager doesn't agree I have no problem with it.

Clearly his personal life is an issue, and unless he grows up a bit and sorts it out, he wont make it in the premier league.

Agreed. Has an ok game - not great at Arsenal and thinks (publicly) he should be automatic starting section ? Also get the feeling he is not sticking to whatever schedule (health, diet, exercise, etc.) the club have set him. Tough one - image being a PL player, earning thousands a week (ok he might only be on 10K a week, but still a fortune) and having to graft like boll**ks.

That's why I always admired the likes of Ronaldo and Becks - they busted their guts in training and personal life even when they were super famous

Very poor yesterday. Offered nothing.
Yep. I don't think the service he got was great mind. We should be putting balls down the channels or over the top for him to run onto with his pace basically trying recreate Watford's goal against us. Instead he spent most of the game with his back to goal trying to win headers or hold the ball up which isn't playing to his strengths.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yep. I don't think the service he got was great mind. We should be putting balls down the channels or over the top for him to run onto with his pace basically trying recreate Watford's goal against us. Instead he spent most of the game with his back to goal trying to win headers or hold the ball up which isn't playing to his strengths.

This! Why do we persist in heaving long high balls up the middle? Pelle no longer plays for us.

This! Why do we persist in heaving long high balls up the middle? Pelle no longer plays for us.

Good point.

However we dont have the midfield creativity to play the ball on the ground.

My view is that we should have invested in a forward with a bit of physicality, height and ability in the air which has been missing since Pelle's departure.

Adams must be wondering why he’s bothered if obafemi and long are preferred to him

I like Lonf, thought h did well when he came on yesterday and can cause defenders problems with his work rate etc. Obafami on the otherhand not sure what the club see in him .

I like Lonf, thought h did well when he came on yesterday and can cause defenders problems with his work rate etc. Obafami on the otherhand not sure what the club see in him .

Apart from missing two sitters long did well, it was a very long like performance.

Adams obviously has a poor memory, if he’s forgotten how poorly he played despite being given far more games.

Really? He was good against Liverpool and very unlucky not to score against Sheffield United, since then he’s hardly played.

Adams obviously has a poor memory, if he’s forgotten how poorly he played despite being given far more games.

V harsh. Was superb against Sheffield United who now look a very strong side at home. Played in both of our PL wins up until yesterday.

Still think he'll come good if given the opportunity. Miles better player than Obafemi and Long

Very true. He does seem a bit limited though. Was too deep yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point.

My view is that we should have invested in a forward with a bit of physicality, height and ability in the air which has been missing since Pelle's departure.

Yes indeed, as some of us have been saying since Pelle left. Adam's doesn't fill that gaping hole.

Good point.

I would think Charlie Austin would pull a face at that. When he was with us, we seemed to expect him to run like Long!

Ralph's said before that Obafemi needs to take a lot more personal responsibility for his fitness and that the club have done all they can to help him.

If he's throwing fast food down his throat all the time then he's an idiot who will ruin the chance he has to have a decent career.

We had similar with Luke Shaw who wasn't allowed to move out of his digs because the club thought he was too stupid to be able to cope on his own and would just end up in Nandos every day.

At least Shaw looked a real natural talent/prospect....Obafemi doesn't really look either.

• 4 weeks later...

Tremendous performance at Chelsea. His goal had it all, speed, fitness, a clever turn and perfect strike. Still only 19, so bags of potential. Although he's chosen to use his birth in Dublin to commit to the Republic of Ireland internationally, he's as British as any child of immigrant parents, brought up here. Effectively, he's a 21st century Londoner. The decision of the club to attract him from Leyton Orient is proving to have been an extremely good one, especially with all the London clubs that missed him. Alongside Danny Ings, Michael is looking like he could be part of a truly effective striking partnership for the second half of the season. The competition from Shane Long and Che Adams can only make him try even harder.

Tremendous performance at Chelsea. His goal had it all, speed, fitness, a clever turn and perfect strike. Still only 19, so bags of potential. Although he's chosen to use his birth in Dublin to commit to the Republic of Ireland internationally, he's as British as any child of immigrant parents, brought up here. Effectively, he's a 21st century Londoner. The decision of the club to attract him from Leyton Orient is proving to have been an extremely good one, especially with all the London clubs that missed him. Alongside Danny Ings, Michael is looking like he could be part of a truly effective striking partnership for the second half of the season. The competition from Shane Long and Che Adams can only make him try even harder.

Oh great, in which case I hope he does well. Couldn't stand the bloke all the time I thought he didn't have any Britishness in him.

Not sure about Obafemi - clearly has talent but wonder if he has the application (hard work, sacrifice etc.)? Could learn a lot from his countryman, Long - who makes up for his limited talent with tons of effort. Likes of Keegan, Ronaldo and Beckham worked their socks off, which is partly why the were such great players (along with tallent of course), and no I don't think Obafemi has the same tallent - could be ok if he puts the effort in. Not easy to get stuck in when you earn tons of money at 19 I guess? Wouldn't really know as I was working nights in a meat factory to pay my way through college.

Must admit was quite surprised by his goal yesterday .. thought he always looked a bit of a donkey before this.. and also that his pace wasn’t really effective and tenacious like long.. but fair play he done everything right for the goal and it was a great strike also looked pretty decent on the break at times..

Still dont think I would break up the ings and long partnership right now and I think Adams gives us a different kind of striker with a bit more muscle and hold up play if we wanna change it up

Before his goal I shouted at the TV twice for him not putting much effort in. Afterwards the adrenaline clearly kicked in as he was infinitely better. Think he should benefit from working with Long and Ings who are two or the hardest workers I've ever seen in a saints shirt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk