A Good Idea

Son of Bob

I am going to put myself up for a some grief here but anyway,

It happens both ways. Yes, MLG gets on peoples nerves pulling them up on stuff, so therefore people try to catch him out and yes Turkish is the main offender her, with maybe Hypo 2nd. However, there are even greater number of people who are ready to jump on the band wagon to moan about this happening even when it is not.

For example, last week there was a thread posted by MLG about the improvements to the ground/training ground. I was involved, posted (very politely) asking MLG about how the improvements compared to the improvements other clubs were making. Turkish posted, was a little direct, a little sarcastic but nothing special. There was then almost a full page of people moaning about turkish doing this, ironically saying the thread had been hijacked (as they hijacked it) and saying Turkish was bullying MLG. Now this may or may not have happened before but I could not see it happening on that thread.

I then posted, saying that I could not see it, a bit of an argument developed, I then asked if someone could post a quote of where Turkish was bullying and nothing. More people were then happy to moan about Turkish bullying and because I defended him on that thread, we then became Turkish and Tokyo and apparently we were both bullying MLG. I again asked if anyone could quote evidence of ME bulling MLG on that thread and nothing.

Now I am not Turkish's friend, I don't know him, have argued with him myself in the past but was annoyed at the band wagon jumpers moaning about something that wasn't there and then again moaning that the thread had been hijacked, while doing the very same thing themselves. For saying this, I am now a troll? Or a Bully?

Neither, I actually agree with you. Threads are usually taken MORE off topic by a stream of replies about the alleged off-topic comments... people need to ask themselves if what they're about to post actually helps a thread or not, and think before posting. Those who do 'troll' or 'bully' would quickly move on if they weren't getting a bite or generating responses, just like those who can't help but bite when a skate pops up... ignore them, and they will go away.

I am going to put myself up for a some grief here but anyway,

It happens both ways. Yes, MLG gets on peoples nerves pulling them up on stuff, so therefore people try to catch him out and yes Turkish is the main offender her, with maybe Hypo 2nd. However, there are even greater number of people who are ready to jump on the band wagon to moan about this happening even when it is not.

For example, last week there was a thread posted by MLG about the improvements to the ground/training ground. I was involved, posted (very politely) asking MLG about how the improvements compared to the improvements other clubs were making. Turkish posted, was a little direct, a little sarcastic but nothing special. There was then almost a full page of people moaning about turkish doing this, ironically saying the thread had been hijacked (as they hijacked it) and saying Turkish was bullying MLG. Now this may or may not have happened before but I could not see it happening on that thread.

I then posted, saying that I could not see it, a bit of an argument developed, I then asked if someone could post a quote of where Turkish was bullying and nothing. More people were then happy to moan about Turkish bullying and because I defended him on that thread, we then became Turkish and Tokyo and apparently we were both bullying MLG. I again asked if anyone could quote evidence of ME bulling MLG on that thread and nothing.

Now I am not Turkish's friend, I don't know him, have argued with him myself in the past but was annoyed at the band wagon jumpers moaning about something that wasn't there and then again moaning that the thread had been hijacked, while doing the very same thing themselves. For saying this, I am now a troll? Or a Bully?

Neither, I actually agree with you. Threads are usually taken MORE off topic by a stream of replies about the alleged off-topic comments... people need to ask themselves if what they're about to post actually helps a thread or not, and think before posting. Those who do 'troll' or 'bully' would quickly move on if they weren't getting a bite or generating responses, just like those who can't help but bite when a skate pops up... ignore them, and they will go away.

We have already suggested the "MLG/Turkish Stadium Love-In" - although to his credit Turkish has tried to back away from the same stuff on and on in the last week or so. MLG could do with learning to bite less, and I say that as someone with dangerously similar tendencies but 20 years' more experience of wasting my time and energy responding to it...

And respect to him for doing that. Problem is it's difficult to tell if he's making a sensible contribution or just being uber-sarchastic now!

We have already suggested the "MLG/Turkish Stadium Love-In" - although to his credit Turkish has tried to back away from the same stuff on and on in the last week or so. MLG could do with learning to bite less, and I say that as someone with dangerously similar tendencies but 20 years' more experience of wasting my time and energy responding to it...

And respect to him for doing that. Problem is it's difficult to tell if he's making a sensible contribution or just being uber-sarchastic now!

As someone who was well and truly suckered in by him and Essruu's wind ups many years ago, (and happily admit it), I always treat Turkish as though he's taking the ****, which actually does him a disservice sometimes because he does make a lot of decent contributions when he wants to and he does get some good information... he's kinda made a rod for his own back!

As someone who was well and truly suckered in by him and Essruu's wind ups many years ago, (and happily admit it), I always treat Turkish as though he's taking the ****, which actually does him a disservice sometimes because he does make a lot of decent contributions when he wants to and he does get some good information... he's kinda made a rod for his own back!

Agree 100%, thank you!

Stop moaning and ignore. If you think someone is out of order, quote them, say they are out of order or report them. General unsubstantiated moans are worse than the 'trolls'.

If you think I am out of order, quote me and let me know. Do not just make a general sweeping comment, then disappear.

FWIT I like you Glasgow-Saint. Us cities have to stick together.

Agree 100%, thank you!

Stop moaning and ignore. If you think someone is out of order, quote them, say they are out of order or report them. General unsubstantiated moans are worse than the 'trolls'.

If you think I am out of order, quote me and let me know. Do not just make a general sweeping comment, then disappear.

FWIT I like you Glasgow-Saint. Us cities have to stick together.

Exactly. That's what I meant in the original post. It's not just the usual suspects joining in. It's everyone then moaning about the usual suspects jumping in, and the usual suspect then jumping in to defend themsleves against the people moaning about them jumping in... and so on... and so on.

Exactly. That's what I meant in the original post. It's not just the usual suspects joining in. It's everyone then moaning about the usual suspects jumping in, and the usual suspect then jumping in to defend themsleves against the people moaning about them jumping in... and so on... and so on.

Been there too. At least it was funny back then (well, most of the time anyway!). Saintsforever did get a bit explosive at times but it was rarely boring.

Been there too. At least it was funny back then (well, most of the time anyway!). Saintsforever did get a bit explosive at times but it was rarely boring.

There probably aren't enough mods, and from what I've seen, with the greatest of respect, the moderation often leaves a lot to be desired, in that it often just winds people up more. In an ideal world, posters would self-moderate, ignore stuff they don't think is appropriate, and simply act themselves as they would like others to, but there are clearly many who are incapable of this, and who don't respect the primary purpose of the place.

I'm sure it doesn't help that the people who actually own/run the site hardly ever seem to be on here themselves these days. If they've lost interest themselves it can't help the standards of moderation.

There probably aren't enough mods, and from what I've seen, with the greatest of respect, the moderation often leaves a lot to be desired, in that it often just winds people up more. In an ideal world, posters would self-moderate, ignore stuff they don't think is appropriate, and simply act themselves as they would like others to, but there are clearly many who are incapable of this, and who don't respect the primary purpose of the place.

I'm sure it doesn't help that the people who actually own/run the site hardly ever seem to be on here themselves these days. If they've lost interest themselves it can't help the standards of moderation.

To be fair, they never intended to be online to moderate themselves, that's why they have mods in place. Yes, sometimes I think a bit of guidance from a site owner can help, but generally we are talking about routine stuff that, I believe, mods could deal with.

To be fair, they never intended to be online to moderate themselves, that's why they have mods in place. Yes, sometimes I think a bit of guidance from a site owner can help, but generally we are talking about routine stuff that, I believe, mods could deal with.

If a thread is going off topic cant the mods move those irrelevant posts to a mega *****ing thread in another forum, just leaving those relevant ones?

No but they've managed to move this one off to a forum where no-one else will read or comment on it. Do they seriously consider this to be a forum suggestion?

If a thread is going off topic cant the mods move those irrelevant posts to a mega *****ing thread in another forum, just leaving those relevant ones?

No but they've managed to move this one off to a forum where no-one else will read or comment on it. Do they seriously consider this to be a forum suggestion?

Only problem with that is we actually have our own lives, we don't have time to go through every single thread and check every individual post.

Agreed. Or give these 'forum personalities' their own little forum to continue their d1ck waving competition.

I keep thinking 'it's fine, when the season starts they'll be okay' but I can't see it.

Well that was what The Muppet Show was for, but we can't force people to use it.

Only problem with that is we actually have our own lives, we don't have time to go through every single thread and check every individual post.

I agree, especially having been there and done it, but this is why I suggested you perhaps need more mods to deal with the sheer number of posts. Plus, infractions need to be used more, with clear, consistent application and explanations, so that if someone consistently offends, they are banned, temporarily or permanently. Communication is king, both to forum users, and between mods, so that consistent standards are applied and everyone know what is happening and why...

Some mods come across as having a bit of an attitude at times too, which I'm sure is not intended, but the perception is there, and that never helps resolve a situation.

It's not an easy job, especially to do well, and I respect anyone who does it, but on a forum of this size, I think it needs a few more resources and co-ordination.

My presumption was that as a Saints fan you'd generally be quite interested to read the threads on this forum, and therefore, like we do, would notice when a thread about a potential player is being overtaken by a pedantic argument.

My presumption was that as a Saints fan you'd generally be quite interested to read the threads on this forum, and therefore, like we do, would notice when a thread about a potential player is being overtaken by a pedantic argument.

I am indeed, but I live and work in a Seaside tourist driven town and as such most of my time is taken up by work (especially with the Olympic sailing events going on down here).

If youre only interested in facts and information and are sooooo tired of off-topic stuff why use the forum?

Just read this every few days? http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/Home

quite moaning like little babies all the time - I come on here for a bit of banter, fun and pick up the occasional bit of news.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you that they'd like to have banter, fun and get occasional news but it becomes very tiresome having to trawl through endless posts by a few baiting others for a reaction (which they sadly achieve)

Edited by Golden Balls

If youre only interested in facts and information and are sooooo tired of off-topic stuff why use the forum?

Just read this every few days? www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/Home

quite moaning like little babies all the time - I come on here for a bit of banter, fun and pick up the occasional bit of news.

The 92 posts I just deleted off the "final season ticket number" thread were not banter and were certainly not fun. I nearly clawed my eyes out reading them.

I agree, especially having been there and done it, but this is why I suggested you perhaps need more mods to deal with the sheer number of posts. Plus, infractions need to be used more, with clear, consistent application and explanations, so that if someone consistently offends, they are banned, temporarily or permanently. Communication is king, both to forum users, and between mods, so that consistent standards are applied and everyone know what is happening and why...

Some mods come across as having a bit of an attitude at times too, which I'm sure is not intended, but the perception is there, and that never helps resolve a situation.

It's not an easy job, especially to do well, and I respect anyone who does it, but on a forum of this size, I think it needs a few more resources and co-ordination.

Fair points in there Minty.

It has been discussed on the Mod Forum in relation to certain posters over the Summer and the general opinion is that the issues have not got any worse than usual but are perhaps more obvious as this is quite a quiet time for news and indeed football matches. Not sure if I am one of the ones with an attitude but I'd always welcome a PM if you felt I have been out of order.

In respect of the numbers of Mods you may be right that we need more, especially if our user base grows as a Prem team. Ultimately that is Steve and Baj's call whether to add or replace. I am sure they will both read this and may act accordingly. Also this place is a lot easier to Moderate when the team is doing well, a 6-0 from Citeh on the first day may send us into meltdown!

Final point that was about members self-moderating, I would urge anyone who sees a thread being taking off topic to use the report function. This pings an e-mail to all admins and moderators who can then get directly to the thread to review.

Some good points raised here and I'd like to add my 2 pence.

This is a great forum with many terrific contributors who all have great understanding of the game (and at the end of the day, this is what it's about - A football forum!). As people have stated the issues occur when ''certain posters'' (We don't need to name them) add their sarcastic/witty replies to pretty sensibly started threads.

More often than not it's a thread from MLG. I can understand why he gets on peoples nerves somtimes, but the amount of abuse and to a degree, bullying, he has had to put up with recently is out of order. The bloke is a saints fan, who is positive and passionate about our future, yet for some reason he's not allowed to be and a nice positive discussion about stadium improvements, training ground improvements etc gets eaten up by sarcastic and witty remarks which go round and round in a circle.

I think it's obvious when these threads are going to go down that route, so maybe the mods need to catch these early before they descend into the mass sarcastic contest they become. Don't get me wrong, the mods do a decent job here as it is - but maybe we need a few more to hit this current issue?

At the end of the day we all have opinions and there are some very good posters here that will slowly start to fade away if a certain group are allowed to continue taking over every thread with their drivel.

I think if you asked MLG to tone down his ridiculous pedantry, his obsessive need to correct every minuscule piece of information when it is unnecessary and his selective reading of information (as well as never being able to admit he is wrong) then a significant amount of the problems would cease. Maybe people should ask why it is MLG and no one else who seems to be the one who gets the majority of those sort of comments. I accept that some of the sarcastic comments should be toned down too.