A Good Idea

Son of Bob

I think if you asked MLG to tone down his ridiculous pedantry, his obsessive need to correct every minuscule piece of information when it is unnecessary and his selective reading of information (as well as never being able to admit he is wrong) then a significant amount of the problems would cease. Maybe people should ask why it is MLG and no one else who seems to be the one who gets the majority of those sort of comments. I accept that some of the sarcastic comments should be toned down too.

MLG bites so a few posters wind him up. Personally I don't (maybe have half heartedly once or twice at most) because he does post some interesting stuff and I feel sorry for him when and he gets tedius dullards like you jumping on the bandwagon.

MLG bites so a few posters wind him up. Personally I don't (maybe have half heartedly once or twice at most) because he does post some interesting stuff and I feel sorry for him when and he gets tedius dullards like you jumping on the bandwagon.

Stop following me around the board just because you got a bit upset that your thread was moved.

Stop following me around the board just because you got a bit upset that your thread was moved.

Hardly following you around when it was you that referred me me to this thread. I cannot fathom why you did though because it's just your usual snide remarks about a poster that brings far more to this place you.

Guys, you're not really going to let a thread about going off-topic and having a pop at each other, end up going that way are you?! lol

You've just ably demonstrated some of the points we've talked about. The need to reply to someone when you could just as easily ignore them and let the thread take it's course, potentially creating work for mods and detracting from a constructive discussion.

Hypo, not singling you out here, but you are quite prone to this... your comments about MLG sum this up. Yes he can be pedantic, and sometimes he too needs to think about what he posts, but your issues with him are based on the fact that he likes to clarify every point, reply to everyone and answer every point that is raised in reply to him, almost to excess. It does lead to a lot of posts, many of which we don't really *need* but in itself it is not a bad thing, and is not causing the problems we've talked about. When people exploit him however, and ask incessant or pointless questions which he doesn't pick up on it, and so continues to reply and reply and reply, that then starts to creates a situation.

So, if you think he has been pedantic but know what was meant, then just leave it. Or if you want to point it out or take it up with him, PM him. But I think everyone should bear the original thread subject in mind when replying and ask if they're on topic, and contributing more to that subject, or if they're only making the problem worse.

Edited by Minty

I'm sorry but you couldn't make this kind of stuff. It's hilarious! People just can't help themselves. When I started this thread I thought to myself 'I wonder if it will descend into the kind of thread I'm talking about. Wouldn't that be ironic'. I guess the answer was obvious really. It just takes one or two to join in and it's handbags at dawn again. Honestly people - for the love of God, give it a rest. Un-ber-leavable.

I think if you asked MLG to tone down his ridiculous pedantry, his obsessive need to correct every minuscule piece of information when it is unnecessary and his selective reading of information (as well as never being able to admit he is wrong) then a significant amount of the problems would cease. Maybe people should ask why it is MLG and no one else who seems to be the one who gets the majority of those sort of comments. I accept that some of the sarcastic comments should be toned down too.

Glad to hear it is all MLG's fault. I think he adds something to the forum, struggling to make a case for the other usual suspects. I have watched this perfectly reasonable debate descend into the normal crap and to an extent let it happen to prove a point, exactly like the ignore thread that Weston started in Lounge.

As Minty has quite rightly said, if you don't really have a point to make - don't feel the need to.

Glad to hear it is all MLG's fault. I think he adds something to the forum, struggling to make a case for the other usual suspects. I have watched this perfectly reasonable debate descend into the normal crap and to an extent let it happen to prove a point, exactly like the ignore thread that Weston started in Lounge.

As Minty has quite rightly said, if you don't really have a point to make - don't feel the need to.

I guess you didn't read my final line then. Of course it isn't all down to MLG, but that is the main things that prompt the sort of replies he gets. Others have to tone it down (including myself) as others have already pointed out but he needs to look at himself and stop some of what he does. It isn't a one way thing. All you are asking for is everyone to change except MLG who winds up so many.

Edited by hypochondriac

It isn't a one way thing. All you are asking for is everyone to change except MLG who winds up so many.

The expression is; "Nobody likes a smartarse."

The problem is, he is genuinely trying to contribute. But he can go a little too far and winds people up often by correcting minutae that are irrelevant to the greater discussion. I don't for a second believe he has any mal-intent though.

The problem is, he is genuinely trying to contribute. But he can go a little too far and winds people up often by correcting minutae that are irrelevant to the greater discussion. I don't for a second believe he has any mal-intent though.

That is nonsesnse in the main. Most people are just baiting him because he reacts. If anyone actually gets wound up they are in serious need of a personality transplant (this is not a dig at hypo btw - I wasn't even thinking about hypo when I typed that).

Why is it not possible to contribute without being ridiculous? I can't see why anyone cannot see the line.