Hughes - Confirmed

Stud mark of doom

1st team manager and not 1st team coach like the previous 2 maybe Reeds Power has shifted slightly

The official twitter account announced Pellegrino as first team manager too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prior to appointing him I would have not wanted him as our manager.

But, he deserves the chance for keeping us in the division. The players appear to have rallied round him too.

I worry about him long term. Lots of pals are Stoke fans & both my lads were there. He's a bit dour. He, like most managers have his favourites. Think Stephen Ireland.

His in game management is sometimes a bit strange.

As a previous poster mentioned, his record of involving academy players at Stoke was appalling.

However, he deserves our support & I for one will be supporting him.

Excellent news. A manager with almost unrivaled Premier League experience as a coach and a record as player at the highest level that deserves respect. The days of negotiation suggest that he didn't just roll over because his own future and reputation depend on having the tools to do a successful job.

There's a widespread view that Southampton has plenty of quality players, which has under-performed due to poor coaching and poor management. There have been some doubtful player purchases, for example, Boufal and Corrillo are thought by many not to have a future here, but in my opinion, one or two additions will be enough for Hughes and his coaching team to turn us back into a top-ten side.

Would have preferred a shorter contract but then i’m Still less than ectastic about Hughes in general.

Am I ecstatic about this appointment per se - No.

Am I ecstatic that we have a manager who has already proven he will get better results than the previous plank - Yes.

I'm confident that Hughes will achieve the wins against Huddersfield, Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton etc etc that MP was incapable of doing and which will see us ok next season and that'll do for now.

1st team manager and not 1st team coach like the previous 2 maybe Reeds Power has shifted slightly

There you go, that's been the delay imo. The bloke wanted to run the football side of the operation, not just pick the team and take training as per a coach. For me, his signing can only mean that any issues he had re the influence of others and money have all been met. Very positive and I suspect that Reed will be a peripheral figure whilst Hughes is around.

Nah, I don't believe it.

Inside information says that Saints are looking at other options and Hughes won't sign as he is only being given a sultry amount of transfer funds and nothing from player sales.

Smoke and mirrors, I tell you, smoke and mirrors from the Management. where's my tinfoil hat? Les Reed is stealing my brainwaves.:lol::lol:

Good to see, hopefully, some stability now and a bit of building.

Will Dave Watson and Kelvin Davis be retained?

I was wondering if this was part of the delay, agreeing compo for Watson. One of the first things Hughes needs to do get rid of the dead wood. Not so worried about SKD. We really don't need 3 GK coaches though.

Never ever thought I'd say happy to have Hughes as a manager but he deserves the chance.

Anyone know what bonus he got for keeping us up? [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Still of the belief that we have good players that under a half decent manager will perform well, certainly better than 17th. We now have someone who at least is a half decent manager.

I am hoping for and expecting a Hughes renaissance next season and we will be back challenging 7th/8th. And a cup run please.

I agree entirely with this. Our squad is not lacking in quality and we have seriously under performed in the last 2 years.

I also believe that we will see a more entertaining style of football. In the last 2 years I have been taking Mrs Tamesaint to SMS. She knew nothing about football but decided after watching Puel's team that the aim of football was to see how many different ways and how quickly a team could pass the ball back to the goalkeeper. The style got even worse under Mò Pe.

It almost feels as if a 2 year nightmare has come to an end

I am sure that things are going to improve.

Stoke fans seem happy.
Yeah. Right. Relegation always cheers the soul.

*Grammatical note to help your language development: the expression "Yeah, right" doesn't actually mean yeah or right, but is a midly sarcastic rebuttal of something patently false. HTH

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Genious move by the club. Pellegrino was a patsy in place to pave the way for Hughes all along. Hughes appointment this time last year would have been met by widespread dismay. The club yet again innovating and leading from the front. Hats off to Sir Reed.

Who was the last manager to complete three seasons with us? Chris Nicholl?

So no point complaining about contract length, he probably won't see it out.

Happy if he can just do the simple things well (fitness, right players in the right positions, simple tactical awareness and ability to change style when needed) and bring some stability.

I was wondering if this was part of the delay, agreeing compo for Watson. One of the first things Hughes needs to do get rid of the dead wood. Not so worried about SKD. We really don't need 3 GK coaches though.

I’m surprised more comment hasn’t been made about 50% of our 6 coaches being goalkeepers. As long as it works, then great.

Clearly, the way to stop our team playing such negative football was to get them coached by 3 goalkeepers, a left-back and a former Saints defensive midfielder (who admittedly played upfront for some of the world’s best teams before getting his dream move to Saints) ;)

Genious move by the club. Pellegrino was a patsy in place to pave the way for Hughes all along. Hughes appointment this time last year would have been met by widespread dismay. The club yet again innovating and leading from the front. Hats off to Sir Reed.
We track potential Managers extensively through a black plastic computer with fibre optic wifi, able to watch 300 You Tube videos simultaneously.

Once we identify the best Manager for the job out of everyone in the world we just wait until they are out of work to avoid paying compensation.

Our last 5 Managers have been out of work when appointed, which shows just how spot on this planning is.

So we have a decision.

But what does it really mean?

For me it’s positive. Hughes has clearly got just enough out of our current squad to keep us up - just. But with some cost - Boufal, our zero goal Argentine - and others want out.

It’s also a squad with players past their best. Hail Bernard all you like he’s slowing up Southampton. Love Steve Davies but he’s absent.

Our defence is shaky, very shaky. Needs significant investment.

And shortly our best like Tadic (yes he’s now our best - OMG) will face the circling vultures of the top 6 clubs... and we know what happens when Les Reed et al are offered a cheque.

Hughes is here to stabilise. Good. But there’s a chance that our football fantasists in the Boardroom are also gambling on another near disaster based on his leadership to see us through.

Hughes or not, we are in one almighty mess. Best and those with potential will want out when the carrot danglers start their work, Chinese holiday or not.

The only chance of a mid table season and an avoidance of the Boardroom debacle of the past 3-4 years is a change of direction. That requires rapid and significant-investment from our major owner. Does he understand that?

So, for me Hughes is the only decision based on such a poor squad situation. He’s there to avoid the drop again. But unless we see Les and the gang change their selling philosophy and significant investment early from our owner, expect pain not pleasure next season.

Or.... is Hughes being picked to do what he did at Man City??

To stabilise a sinking ship - and our squad is only destined to be weakened this summer based on Boardroom philosophy to date so there’s no denying it - then receive an inject of stars to start the transformation?

It’s what Hughes did before to build City. It requires a wealthy owner (and we have that despite the evidence so far of lack of investment). Is the Chinese tour the spark for that?

I don’t know where this will go, but as long as our Chinese owner trusts our current Boardroom the first option looks most likely.

Prepare for sales, loss of talent and another relegation battle.... Can Hughes maintain his record of never being relegated with a further weakened squad?

So we have a decision.

But what does it really mean?

For me it’s positive. Hughes has clearly got just enough out of our current squad to keep us up - just. But with some cost - Boufal, our zero goal Argentine - and others want out.

It’s also a squad with players past their best. Hail Bernard all you like he’s slowing up Southampton. Love Steve Davies but he’s absent.

Our defence is shaky, very shaky. Needs significant investment.

And shortly our best like Tadic (yes he’s now our best - OMG) will face the circling vultures of the top 6 clubs... and we know what happens when Les Reed et al are offered a cheque.

Hughes is here to stabilise. Good. But there’s a chance that our football fantasists in the Boardroom are also gambling on another near disaster based on his leadership to see us through.

Hughes or not, we are in one almighty mess. Best and those with potential will want out when the carrot danglers start their work, Chinese holiday or not.

The only chance of a mid table season and an avoidance of the Boardroom debacle of the past 3-4 years is a change of direction. That requires rapid and significant-investment from our major owner. Does he understand that?

So, for me Hughes is the only decision based on such a poor squad situation. He’s there to avoid the drop again. But unless we see Les and the gang change their selling philosophy and significant investment early from our owner, expect pain not pleasure next season.

Or.... is Hughes being picked to do what he did at Man City??

To stabilise a sinking ship - and our squad is only destined to be weakened this summer based on Boardroom philosophy to date so there’s no denying it - then receive an inject of stars to start the transformation?

It’s what Hughes did before to build City. It requires a wealthy owner (and we have that despite the evidence so far of lack of investment). Is the Chinese tour the spark for that?

I don’t know where this will go, but as long as our Chinese owner trusts our current Boardroom the first option looks most likely.

Prepare for sales, loss of talent and another relegation battle.... Can Hughes maintain his record of never being relegated with a further weakened squad?

Interesting take on things, but I'm neither expecting much investment nor a mass exodus.

On the investment, I'd love to be orived wrong, but we haven't seen much enthusiasm for spending yet.

And, after a miserable season, we're not going to be top of the big clubs' shopping lists for once.

Who's going to want Forster? Not first team, confidence shot. Bertrand is assumed to be off, but no England place. Not in the WC spotlight, although Cedric could be. Losing him wouldn't be a total disaster.

Boufal's attitude has been shown up and will frighten off plenty of suitors. And, apart from one wonder goal, he's done little. Maybe someone will come in for Lemina, but he's got plenty left on his contract and would be expensive. I think he'll be off next year after a great season.

Gabbiadini probably will go, unless he's convinced that MH can revitalize his Saints career. Would be sorry to lose him.

Pretty well everyone else is either in the category of decent squad player who can hopefully improve (Hoedt, Bednarek, Stephens, McQueen, Romeu, Hojbjerg, etc) or fading or not good enough.

The one player who might be targeted and I really hope we can keep is McCarthy.

Might as well close the academy. No points spending money on that with Hughes as manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isnt much coming out of the academy at the minute anyway, seem to have lost our touch there.

Koeman even pointed that out before he left

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Who was the last manager to complete three seasons with us? Chris Nicholl?

Yes it was Chris Nicholl. 3 managers between 1955 and 1991. 26 managers (or 28 if you count Bassett/Wise and Gorman/Dodd separately) since 1991. I wonder how many teams have had more managers than us over the PL period.

Yes it was Chris Nicholl. 3 managers between 1955 and 1991. 26 managers (or 28 if you count Bassett/Wise and Gorman/Dodd separately) since 1991. I wonder how many teams have had more managers than us over the PL period.

Not Prem, but Leeds probably got close under Massimo Cellino :D

Not Prem, but Leeds probably got close under Massimo Cellino :D

Funnily enough they were the one I looked up to see if they had had more - looks like they've also had 26.

Just found an article which ranks last season's PL teams for number of managers they have had in PL era. It was from September 2017 but if I've remembered the moves since then correctly the updated list is as follows, with the number representing the number of time the club has changed manager.

Palace 33

Saints 27

Brighton 26

Swansea, West Brom, Leicester 25

Huddersfield 23

Newcastle 22

Watford 21

Chelsea 20

Spurs 18

West Ham 17

Man City, Stoke 16

Bournemouth, Burnely 13

Everton 12

Liverpool 8

Man Utd 5

Arsenal 4

Not a high position to be proud of!

Edited by Over land and sea

Yes, no manager has completed three seasons for us in the PL era. Only Koeman, Branfoot and Jones completed two seasons I think. Amazing to think none of Strachan, Burley and Adkins finished two whole seasons. It makes you think we should be more patient with managers, then you remember who we just got rid of...

Using "PL era" as a convenient point to look at, before anyone starts getting upset about "football not starting in 1992"

It’s also a squad with players past their best.

Boufal wanting out is a given - but it's news to me that Carillo wants out. Where did you see that? And who else wants out? Can you post some links? Thanks.

Every squad, even the top 6, have players who are past their best. They also all contain players who will improve. Don't really see your point.

Every transfer there are sales - and purchases. Which means loss of talent, no matter how good or bad, but also gaining some as well. Again, don't really get your point. But why are you so sure we will be in a relegation scrap again?

Interesting take on things, but I'm neither expecting much investment nor a mass exodus.

On the investment, I'd love to be proved wrong, but we haven't seen much enthusiasm for spending yet.

And, after a miserable season, we're not going to be top of the big clubs' shopping lists for once.

Who's going to want Forster? Not first team, confidence shot. Bertrand is assumed to be off, but no England place. Not in the WC spotlight, although Cedric could be. Losing him wouldn't be a total disaster.

Boufal's attitude has been shown up and will frighten off plenty of suitors. And, apart from one wonder goal, he's done little. Maybe someone will come in for Lemina, but he's got plenty left on his contract and would be expensive. I think he'll be off next year after a great season.

Gabbiadini probably will go, unless he's convinced that MH can revitalize his Saints career. Would be sorry to lose him.

Pretty well everyone else is either in the category of decent squad player who can hopefully improve (Hoedt, Bednarek, Stephens, McQueen, Romeu, Hojbjerg, etc) or fading or not good enough.

The one player who might be targeted and I really hope we can keep is McCarthy.

Happy with that - commanding CB plus some pace now please

I agree with the two posts above.

I am pretty certain we will sign (only one) new CB. It seems Gibson is our first choice. I'd be pretty happy with getting him.

I think one of the LBs will be sold and we will go with the other 2.

If Cedric goes we will bring in a new RB. I doubt we will sign one otherwise, and will make do with playing Stephens/Bednarek/JWP out of position if Cedric is unavailable for any reason, or maybe giving one of the U23s a go. Unless we sign a young, promising, RB from a lower league as backup.

We will certainly sign a wide attacking player - Promes/Sisto (for example) - and maybe an attacking midfield player (such as Rogic).

Sadly, I cannot see us signing another striker unless we manage to sell one or two; and I could only really see Gabbi going, until I read his interview with an Italian journo where he said that he wanted to stay here.

To summarise, I think we will see the following happen this transfer window:

Incomings: CB, AM, wide attacking player - only if others go: RB/Striker

Outgoings: one of the LBs, Boufal, Classie, Reed and Gallagher. Although I also wouldn't be surprised to see Davis returning to Rangers.

I don't often post but I just want to give Mark Hughes my backing here.

We were sinking fast under Pellegrino and MH did the job asked of him and kept the club up, for that alone I thank him.

He deserves a chance and I'm also pleased we have a manager with passion, an aura of authority, and one who at least speaks English !

Not everyones first choice I know but for me I say, " 100% behind ya m8, up the Saints !!! "

Completely ambivalent about this appointment. He deserves a chance having kept us up (mainly due to the crap teams around us) but I don;t think this will be a successful marriage long term.

Also very concerned that younger players will not get a look in and that he will bring in useless SToke players or past it has beens. Certainly don;'t think we will be seeing entertaining football any time soon as that is not in his DNA

Completely ambivalent about this appointment. He deserves a chance having kept us up (mainly due to the crap teams around us) but I don;t think this will be a successful marriage long term.

Also very concerned that younger players will not get a look in and that he will bring in useless SToke players or past it has beens. Certainly don;'t think we will be seeing entertaining football any time soon as that is not in his DNA

what young players are we talking about ?

at present the academy cupboard looks pretty bare unfortunately.

there is nobody knocking on the door and in fairness Bednerek is young and MH picked him

I may not be quite right but it is very close - longest serving manager since Nicoll was I think the great Ian Branfoot, with just over 2.5 years!

Branfoot was sacked on the 9th January, after the Port Vale FA Cup tie.

Jones, whilst not sacked, was replaced by Hoddle on 27th Jan.

Ignoring the date in the summer, on which they were appointed, I would say jones has that honour.

Still of the belief that we have good players that under a half decent manager will perform well, certainly better than 17th. We now have someone who at least is a half decent manager.

I am hoping for and expecting a Hughes renaissance next season and we will be back challenging 7th/8th. And a cup run please.

Agree. Mark Hughes has earned this opportunity. Onward and upward.

9th or 10th place, positive, enjoyable football and finishing above Bournemouth and Brighton will do me fine for Mark's first full year.

I'd also like Saints to thrash Liverhampton.

Now let's cull the deadwood signings of recent years and rebuild.

Am I ecstatic about this appointment per se - No.

Am I ecstatic that we have a manager who has already proven he will get better results than the previous plank - Yes.

I'm confident that Hughes will achieve the wins against Huddersfield, Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton etc etc that MP was incapable of doing and which will see us ok next season and that'll do for now.

Sums it up for me too.

I don't often post but I just want to give Mark Hughes my backing here.

We were sinking fast under Pellegrino and MH did the job asked of him and kept the club up, for that alone I thank him.

He deserves a chance and I'm also pleased we have a manager with passion, an aura of authority, and one who at least speaks English !

Not everyones first choice I know but for me I say, " 100% behind ya m8, up the Saints !!! "

My feelings too.

what young players are we talking about ?

at present the academy cupboard looks pretty bare unfortunately.

there is nobody knocking on the door and in fairness Bednerek is young and MH picked him

This young player issue with Hughes is another red herring. Stoke have about the worst PL academy, hardly surprising he didn't bring young players through there. Given he played Sims, JWP, Stephens, Hoedt and Bednarek during his 8 games here, there is no reason to think he won't play youngsters if they are good enough. Bottom line is though our academy is very poor (better than Stoke), only the u18s are showing promise for the future now that Danny Butterfield is helping them improve.

Glad we’ve got it sorted, was the obvious thing to do. You get the impression that Hughes has walked into a set up and group of players superior to what he left. No reason why we can’t go for that Europa spot next season, as long as we invest in a few key areas. From Burnley downwards there is not a lot between anyone.

The absence on the OS of a comment by Kruger or Reed feels odd. The only attributed quote in the press report of Hughes' signing is from Mark Hughes himself. The club statement is unattributed. I'd expected a picture of Reed shaking hands with Hughes, as when players are signed, although I can't recall if that was done with Pellegrino. The Echo puts the delay in finalising the deal down to people away on end-of-season breaks. Maybe so, but I'd have thought getting the permanent manager in place should have had top priority and its not as if anyone wasn't aware that this needed to be done, one way or the other, after the last game.

I remain very positive about the appointment, but as fans I think we are all keen to know if any other aspect of the way the team is run has changed, for example, Les Reed's role or the position of the other members of the coaching staff.

Good point regarding young players, can’t recall him ever doing so. (I thought he might have given jones his start at blackburn but that was after he left.) Be interesting to see how things pan out in that arena with the likes of sims, hesketh, gallagher & even bednarek over a longer period.

I’m hoping others in the club will restrict his influence over transfers & curtail a lot of the awful purchases.

As for style, there were times where it was horrible under him and times it seemed good. Guess we’ll see what degree of radical shift there will be.