Don’t buy this ‘Only Hughes’ option

Pilchards

I can’t thank Mark Hughes enough on how he has rescued us from certain relegation, However I can’t help thinking we must have other options out there?

Reed and Co will have learnt a valuable lesson in employing the useless Puel and Pellegrino as they wanted another Pottychino style manager but it’s clearly backfired.

Mark Hughes is a safe option that will have us playing okay football and flirting around 10-12th in the league.

I want more than this, I want us to get a manager that will go to the top 6 clubs and take the 3 points plus get us European football again.

We have the money so let’s see how ambitious GAO really is?

Who could we get if we offered a 100m transfer kitty plus good wages?

Leonardo Jardim, Carlo Ancelotti, Brendan Rodgers, Joachim Low, Patrick Vieira or Tuchel are options if we sell the club to them.

Thoughts?

After this season I’d bite your hand off now for a couple of seasons of mid table mediocrity to be honest!! Sow the seeds and rebuild before we think about pushing for Europe again, there’s a lot of deadwood to clear out and I reckon it’ll take a few transfer windows to transform our squad.

Sound a bit like Everton fans with your comment!

For the season we have just had Hughes has to be given the job, he knows the squad now and can lead the clearout and rebuild.

With Wolves and Villa (imo) coming up i would expect them to spend and become stronger and wouldnt expect them to go down. So what we need most now is stability and Hughes will give us that.

Also most of the players have reacted well to his appointment so we may see an upturn in some performances

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Club have already shown they are not in the market for competing in the top 6. As soon as Koeman walked that was it. Managers, players, both second rate additions to the club,

Hughes has lifited both the players and supporters. He should get the job.

Dont forget Ralph’s interview from January - we are a small club again now.

Would be nuts to sack Hughes. He’s got the team playing well, the players seem to like him, he’s a former Saints player.

Hiring a football manager is not an exact science, you see managers turn up at Prem clubs with excellent CVs only to fail miserably, likewise you see odd oppointments become great successes - who would have thought Ranieri would win the league at Leicester? It may be that the combination of Hughes extensive Premier League experience and leadership qualities, combined with the club’s set up and recruitment policy prove to be the ideal match?

As much as there is an argument to appoint someone else if they are ‘better’ on paper, not only do I feel like Hughes has earnt the opportunity, I wonder if not giving him the job and turning to someone new would negatively affect team spirit, and delay pre-season preparation. Especially with the way we tend to drag our feet with these things.

If, as some ITKs have suggested, that there will be major off the field changes in the summer, then it would perhaps make sense to have a bit of stability somewhere in the club. Mark Hughes deserves a chance, hopefully we can get closer to the European spots this time. Squad will need improving though.

Let's re-establish in middle table with Hughes for at least next season. Then we can be ruthless like we were with Adkins if we feel he is not getting the most out of the players available

I think this is the way forward. Give him a chance to prove himself and carry on the momentum, but have other options in line for the future.

HOWEVER I just have a feeling that the powers that be are keen on younger managers. I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes was given his bonus and sent on his way and we got Wagner in. (Which would take Reed about 6 weeks I imagine)

Every summer since Koeman I’ve said Rodgers is the perfect fit for us, good coach, experience, could bring some Celtic players with him. However Hughes has earned the right, for a season at least, to show us what he’s capable of long term. I know fans of his past clubs aren’t fans of his, but he seems a good fit for us. Put it this way, can he be as boring as Puel or as crap as Pellegrino? I think not. Give him a go.

first time in a couple of years i have seen the team look they are actually happy and all on the same mission! Hughes as done that....... he deserves a chance, and i think he will do well, we do need the "black Box" to double check his buys though....

Let's re-establish in middle table with Hughes for at least next season. Then we can be ruthless like we were with Adkins if we feel he is not getting the most out of the players available

Shouldn't we be aiming to do as well as we can? We weren't bothered about "re-establishing in mid-table" when we came 14th on 41 points in 2013. Straight on up to 8th, 7th, 6th, and 8th.

first time in a couple of years i have seen the team look they are actually happy and all on the same mission! Hughes as done that....... he deserves a chance, and i think he will do well, we do need the "black Box" to double check his buys though....

I doubt he'll be anywhere near the final decision-maker in the transfer market. None of the other managers seem to have had that much input beyond the obvious "previous club" buys and unlike our previous post-Adkins managers he doesn't have a particular knowledge of players from his home nation that we're lacking intel on. If we sign Joe Allen or Hal Robson-Kanu I'll be furious...

Wouldn’t be unhappy at all if we appointed Hughes longer term, he deserves it.

However, main pro point on Hughes for me is the continuity it would bring having a manager installed from the get go, ahead of pre season / transfers etc. So if there was a ‘better option’ out there and you could guarantee that they would be in place from say 1st June to be well ahead of the game, then I’d be ok with that too.

Problem is, there’s no way our board can be that proactive, as they demonstrated in the last two summers. Also the telegraph article from the other day said no-one else was under consideration at this stage, so if they aren’t going with Hughes it’s going to be another long summer.

I can’t thank Mark Hughes enough on how he has rescued us from certain relegation, However I can’t help thinking we must have other options out there?

Reed and Co will have learnt a valuable lesson in employing the useless Puel and Pellegrino as they wanted another Pottychino style manager but it’s clearly backfired.

Mark Hughes is a safe option that will have us playing okay football and flirting around 10-12th in the league.

I want more than this, I want us to get a manager that will go to the top 6 clubs and take the 3 points plus get us European football again.

Leonardo Jardim, Carlo Ancelotti, Brendan Rodgers, Joachim Low, Patrick Vieira or Tuchel are options if we sell the club to them.

Thoughts?

I think I've spotted the flaw in your argument.

It doesn't matter one jot what Saints fans say that they would like It's what that Gao person wants to do.

It's his train-set to do with as he wants as he doesn't have to answer to anyone else especially not mere

customers of, quoting Ralph, a small club.

Judging by Gao's complete silence perhaps he just doesn't care about Saints very much? However it's at his

peril because there are countless instances of companies who have gone down the tubes simply because

they ignored reasonable requests from their customers. Fans who want him to spend 100's of millions of Pounds

are not included by me as they are being totally stupid.

Keeping Hughes on is so plainly the obvious thing to do that it's equally obvious our board won't do it. We'll announce some left-field blue sky thinking appointment from South America two weeks before the first day of the season. Nobody here will have heard of him, and after he's replaced by Pulis with six games left nobody here will ever hear about him again.

Probably.

I hope Chelsea don't have their eyes on him. Probably they're beyond the sentimental reunion approach but let's hope so. I too have horrible feeling allied to that odd rumour in the press about David Wagner coming. Really hope not. Come on Les, do it right for.once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Chelsea don't have their eyes on him. Probably they're beyond the sentimental reunion approach but let's hope so. I too have horrible feeling allied to that odd rumour in the press about David Wagner coming. Really hope not. Come on Les, do it right for.once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chelsea might consider him for a role doing the after-dinners in the corporate lounge but that's about it.

You know that Chelsea are one of the super rich and trying to win the Prem and the Champions League every season, right?

Big question is does Mark Hughes want to stay?

Keeping saints up for a massive bonus looks good on cv

Will he decide to become a firefighter take the summer off look to save another relegation battler come October ala Big Fat Sam

Its not a big question because he has already said that he does.

We are Saints not Man Utd. Most of those managers mentioned would have no interest in coming to Saints, especially after the season we've had (Tuchel has already rejected us). Nothing wrong with having ambition but you have to be realistic with it.

The job Hughes has done in reuniting the club and giving us some purpose and direction again in such a short space of time cannot be overstated. Most fans are behind him and the players seem to enjoy working under him so to this end a bit of continuity is a good thing.

Besides, he took Stoke to three consecutive 9th place finishes, who's to say with the right signings he couldn't get us top 7? Contrary to popular belief we do actually have some good players, they have just been horribly mismanaged the last two years.

Hughes has earned the chance to show what he can do and to me he just feels like a good fit.

Give me 10th next season with a couple of the bigger scalps along the way and I would be happy.

I said as the only reason to keep Puel is stability. I whole heartily think this is still the case, and old sparky does deserve it. Also, after the terrible season we have had and the great escape, the management need to regroup and learn from their mistakes and give us some stability.

Puel and Pellegrino looked OK on paper, Potchetino looked and big risk and went on to bigger and better things and, with poch and Koeman, you see what happened when you get a manager that is starting to gel.

Hughes appointment is a little like Ryan Bertrand. They have been at other clubs, bigger clubs, and sometimes you just want to be able to function without the **** that comes from bigger teams.

Time will tell.

Would be nuts to sack Hughes. He’s got the team playing well, the players seem to like him, he’s a former Saints player.

Hiring a football manager is not an exact science, you see managers turn up at Prem clubs with excellent CVs only to fail miserably, likewise you see odd oppointments become great successes - who would have thought Ranieri would win the league at Leicester? It may be that the combination of Hughes extensive Premier League experience and leadership qualities, combined with the club’s set up and recruitment policy prove to be the ideal match?

Theres always that thought line and hope.Valuable lessons should have already been learnt from the top personnel at this club and should be taken notice of. Reed and wreck it Ralph have to go, they have become too complacent and comfortable.

This is the problem with changing managers mid-season, the choice is limited and is the fire fighter the best long term option. But it became obvious that we couldn't limp to the end with MP2.

I think the fan base could not accept another appointment like the last two so the pressure will be on. The only way to replace MH is with a big name, but I can't see us doing that, so sticking with MH is the safest option.

Depends if the clubs and Hughes’ aspirations and ways of working match or if they think getting some one in like Julian Nagelsmann now would be better considering the current squad, the fabled pathway and whatever ever transfer budget there is to bring players in.

We are Saints not Man Utd. Most of those managers mentioned would have no interest in coming to Saints, especially after the season we've had (Tuchel has already rejected us). Nothing wrong with having ambition but you have to be realistic with it.

The job Hughes has done in reuniting the club and giving us some purpose and direction again in such a short space of time cannot be overstated. Most fans are behind him and the players seem to enjoy working under him so to this end a bit of continuity is a good thing.

Besides, he took Stoke to three consecutive 9th place finishes, who's to say with the right signings he couldn't get us top 7? Contrary to popular belief we do actually have some good players, they have just been horribly mismanaged the last two years.

Hughes has earned the chance to show what he can do and to me he just feels like a good fit.

Give me 10th next season with a couple of the bigger scalps along the way and I would be happy.

You could equally well say he's finished below Puel in 2 consecutive seasons so that makes Puel a better manager. We are in the same position today as we were when Pellegrino was sacked, one place above the bottom 3. Whilst I share the euphoria we all feel and agree that Hughes deserves his million pound bonus for keeping us up, I'm also mindful of his overall results over the last two years and the fact that fans and players of previous clubs he's managed were glad to se the back of him.

Today will tell us a lot. Pellegrino's Saints were incredibly unlucky to lose away to Man City, a game we deserved to draw, to a goal in extra time added to added time, a bit like the Everton goal. Meanwhile Hughes' Stoke team lost 7-2 to them. Let's see today if Hughes has learned from his failure at Stoke. A win or draw today will go a long way towards convincing me that we should keep him.

I wasnt overly pleased with Hughes coming in a t the start but not enough to make a big deal about it. Hes clearly done a job on the squad, they look in much better shape and more of a 'team' and is probably the main reason we are potentially staying up. However i do have some concerns with some of his tactics and selections, bar maybe 1 obvious exception :-), his substitutions have been questionable and even poorly timed but it is fair to say he has earned his substantial bonus and a longer term contract.

I would however add an observation, how often do clubs like ours make these short term/caretaker appointments because they are well deserved only for them to only last 6 months or so into the next season. There is a difference between a short term injection of enthusiasm and new ideas and long term planning and goals.

This has been evident on the pitch and in the celebrations, and the short term boost this has brought is a major factor in us getting out of the drop zone.

Slight concern is how quickly this close relationship with the players will last. His record at Stoke seems to be regular fall outs with players (although you can understand him not getting on with an arsehole like Berahino), most recently Arnautovic (probably also an arsehole).

Depends if the clubs and Hughes’ aspirations and ways of working match or if they think getting some one in like Julian Nagelsmann now would be better considering the current squad, the fabled pathway and whatever ever transfer budget there is to bring players in.

I expect his aspirations will be higher than us though. Already linked with Arsenal, and Hoffenheim in the CL again next season. This is one of our problems, the established and proven names are unlikely to be interested, and not sure we can allow Reed to indulge over the summer months in trying to find 'someone like' who might fit the prototype we're after (perhaps the selection method used for MP, who was hoped to be Poch II).

Thoughts?

What makes you think we have money?

Do you really think we are able to spend £100 million without selling 1st?

People keep saying about "we have money" but just don't see it my self. Yes we still have some of the VVD money but we have lost about £16 million in prize money from finishing 8th last season to maybe 16th/17th this season.

There has got to be a stat about managers who came in and saved a club and then got sacked the next season.

I like Hughes and what he has done but the contract and the nice bonus for keeping us up was the original deal, we should take a wider view of the options (remember there weren't too many options in March) and make the best decision for the club, like I am sure Hughes will if he also gets an offer somewhere else.

Most important thing for me is we define how we want to play football and then get a coach who plays like that.

Think those names are way out of our league I think our league is like the next level like Bosz but i think he is probably off to Nice

Hughes has galvanised the squad, dealt properly with poor attitude players, tactically used the players to the best advantage and almost saved us from what seemed a nailed on relegation by the skin of our teeth. He seems a great fit in terms of his past association with the club. Get a result today and there will be a big outpouring of emotional attachment from the Saint Mary’s faithful. Sometimes it’s all about the DECENT decision and in this case my feeling is, that would be to give Hughes a three deal with the objective to clean up the squad and achieve a top 10 finish.