Which players do you still "believe in"?

norwaysaint

At the moment there's not much positive on the pitch. No goals, no inspiration, no creativity, no morale etc.

But some of these players have been part of good teams, either previous saints teams or teams elsewhere.

So who do you think is worth persisting with as they may be good again? And who has no future with us at all?

McCarthy, Gunn, Bertrand (although shouldn't be captain), Stephens (I think he can improve with time), Yoshida, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Ings, Redmond, Gabbiadini.

Not seen enough of Verstergaard or Armstrong to know.

The ones that worry me a lot when they are on the field are: Austin, Long, Romeu, Davis.

The rest are a bit meh (JWP, Moi, Cedric, Hoedt etc.)

I don't believe in any of the strikers, including Ings. What have any of them done.

Keep to build around

-McCarthy, Bertrand, Cedric, Stephens, Hoedt, Yoshi, Lemina, Hojberg, Redmond, Big V, Romeu,

Don't care (can easily swap out for the same or better)

- Long, Gabbi, Austin, Ings, Armstrong, MoEly, Bednarek, JWP, Targett, Gunn, Gallagher, Davis, Forster

I don't believe in any of the strikers, including Ings. What have any of them done.

Keep to build around

-McCarthy, Bertrand, Cedric, Stephens, Hoedt, Yoshi, Lemina, Hojberg, Redmond, Big V, Romeu,

Don't care (can easily swap out for the same or better)

- Long, Gabbi, Austin, Ings, Armstrong, MoEly, Bednarek, JWP, Targett, Gunn, Gallagher, Davis, Forster

Surely you haven’t lost faith in Austin?

Romeu is probably the biggest puzzle to me - appearing in a lot of 'get rid' or 'indifferent' lists.

I'm not disputing he isn't producing the goods, but he won player of the season season before last, and looked like the next inevitable departure to a bigger club. I'm reluctant to write off a player who has shown that level of performance (in the same way that I remain hopeful of seeing good things from Lemina, Hojbjerg and one or two others). I'd rather ask why he has regressed so much and what it would take for him to get back to his old self.

He also comes across as a good guy, so would be surprised if it was an attitude problem.

I'd like to persist with Lemina, Moi, Redmond, Gabbi (they seem to get alot of stick)

Get Rid - Hoedt, Austin, JWP, Targett, Davis, Forster, McQueen, Reed, Gallagher. All either past it, not good enough or part of the youth system so we persist with them.

Our forwards are suffering from some basic tactical mistakes like three players running for the same ball. They are better than that. I blame coaching for that. So change the coaching team before ditching our forwards.

Hoedt has improved a lot recently. JWP did better on Saturday too and was nearly successful with an assist from a clever pass at the end of the match.

Keep both.

Romeu is probably the biggest puzzle to me - appearing in a lot of 'get rid' or 'indifferent' lists.

I'm not disputing he isn't producing the goods, but he won player of the season season before last, and looked like the next inevitable departure to a bigger club. I'm reluctant to write off a player who has shown that level of performance (in the same way that I remain hopeful of seeing good things from Lemina, Hojbjerg and one or two others). I'd rather ask why he has regressed so much and what it would take for him to get back to his old self.

He also comes across as a good guy, so would be surprised if it was an attitude problem.

Agree. His confidence is completely shot but has shown class in the past and didn't look out of place in our top six side.

I still believe in McCarthy, Gunn, Bertrand, Lemina, Romeu, Hjoberg, Ings, Targett, Hoedt

I'm unconvinced by Cedric, Yoshida, Stephens (he was borderline believe), Vestergaard, Bednerek, Armstrong, Gabbi, Moi

I couldnt give a toss if i never see again - Redmond, Austin (sorry Charlie but we dont play the way that suits you old son), Long, Forster, Davis (age caught up with him), JWP.

Oh and I wouldnt have loaned out Sims - the others im not fussed about.

Hoj, McCarthy, Gunn. Struggling after that, but Romeu is at least a decent chap. The rest are just a bit 'meh'. Which is why we need change at the top.
What about Lemina? He was definitely leaving to go to a top six club in the summer wasn't he?

Fans seem dead against most the players these days. I still see a lot of quality. This isn't an awful squad with a talented manager getting every ounce of potential out of them. It's dire mismanagement from top to bottom.

Pelle would have been rubbish under our last couple of managers. Tadic went downhill. I doubt even Mane would have become the player he did here, nor Schneiderlin or Wanyama.

I don't hugely rate Redmond, but he was at least half decent under Puel. He was just a big step down from what we'd lost. Now he's far worse than he was then.

We've seen Ings, Gabbiadini and others come in and look good before losing form and confidence. That's what happens when you have poor managers, no consistency of selection, tactics, no identity etc. It's been a complete mess.

Slag off players, hope we sell them and replace then. You'll just be slagging off the replacements within 5 minutes.

I still see a good manager getting a lot out of this squad. I want our identity back, chances for young players, not giving players like Austin and Long who've been poor for so long more time. Ditching JWP when he performed better than most others the last couple of years is frustrating. Especially when we struggle to create so much. Ignoring Gallagher when all the other strikers are pathetic.

We have experienced full backs who we know can play. We have 2 decent goalkeepers. We have centre back options who can all improve. We have strong central midfield options. Where we lack is wingers, upgrades on Redmond, to get the most out of Elyounoussi or get another one in. But don't pretend this is some awful squad and we should be grateful for Mark Hughes getting even richer scraping us towards 35 points.

I largely agree with this, I liked the appointment of Hughes for the last few games of the season because he's what we needed to stay up but not what we needed to change.

The last 3 managerial appointments have been dire, i'm not advocating Hughes gets sacked but I feel there's enough talent in the squad to achieve comfortable higher mid-table (8th-10th)

I would say Austin is the only player that worries me, purely because he's just not mobile at all. I'd honestly prefer to see Long over Austin pulling defenders wide and at least unsettling defences and creating space for others to exploit.

We are team hugely low on confidence and it shows, that is the managers responsibility

Fans seem dead against most the players these days. I still see a lot of quality. This isn't an awful squad with a talented manager getting every ounce of potential out of them. It's dire mismanagement from top to bottom.

Pelle would have been rubbish under our last couple of managers. Tadic went downhill. I doubt even Mane would have become the player he did here, nor Schneiderlin or Wanyama.

I don't hugely rate Redmond, but he was at least half decent under Puel. He was just a big step down from what we'd lost. Now he's far worse than he was then.

We've seen Ings, Gabbiadini and others come in and look good before losing form and confidence. That's what happens when you have poor managers, no consistency of selection, tactics, no identity etc. It's been a complete mess.

Slag off players, hope we sell them and replace then. You'll just be slagging off the replacements within 5 minutes.

I still see a good manager getting a lot out of this squad. I want our identity back, chances for young players, not giving players like Austin and Long who've been poor for so long more time. Ditching JWP when he performed better than most others the last couple of years is frustrating. Especially when we struggle to create so much. Ignoring Gallagher when all the other strikers are pathetic.

We have experienced full backs who we know can play. We have 2 decent goalkeepers. We have centre back options who can all improve. We have strong central midfield options. Where we lack is wingers, upgrades on Redmond, to get the most out of Elyounoussi or get another one in. But don't pretend this is some awful squad and we should be grateful for Mark Hughes getting even richer scraping us towards 35 points.

Agree with this. Let’s see how the players preform under a decent manager and then decide who should stay and who should go. I do agree that the last few transfers windows have been poor to say at the least.

Think this thread just highlights the fact that if you're going to change the manager you need to do it a couple of months before the next transfer window so that the manager gets a chance to work with the existing players and they get a chance to show what they can do...

The two keepers....Yoshi and PEH at a push. Ings could have been interesting if he’d kept his Liverpool standards and not fallen into the slovenly and parochial ways at SFC and you could say the same about Gabi and Napoli standards. The rest I really have no interest or any particular sentiment towards. Professionally or personally I’ve nothing in common with the club over the last 18 months, didn’t like Claude’s football but at least he had some personal and professional pride. Pellegrino didn’t care at all and Hughes did last season but foot well and truly off the gas now.

No interest until someone with some drive and resources takes it over and kicks the lazy, faceless, Southampton FC corporate blob into shape really brutally.

We don't have a good squad. Our entire midfield is awful, Bertrand is the only saving grace in defence and we at least have two good goalkeepers.

I largely agree with this, I liked the appointment of Hughes for the last few games of the season because he's what we needed to stay up but not what we needed to change.

The last 3 managerial appointments have been dire, i'm not advocating Hughes gets sacked but I feel there's enough talent in the squad to achieve comfortable higher mid-table (8th-10th)

I would say Austin is the only player that worries me, purely because he's just not mobile at all. I'd honestly prefer to see Long over Austin pulling defenders wide and at least unsettling defences and creating space for others to exploit.

We are team hugely low on confidence and it shows, that is the managers responsibility

You mean what dire Puel achieved?

Believe in list

Redmond - just wish he would be played a lot more attacking like in a inside forward role, but we need to change to a 433 for that, think he will do better being on the last defender a lot more than having to try be the creative spark on the team.

HOJ - I like this dude have done since he joined, gives 110 % and is pretty good player too who Is getting better and better.

Ings - think he is good, just needs better service.

Stephens - is getting better the more he plays.

Targett and Bertrand - defo one for the future will see him keeping Bertrand out the team soon if Bertrand don't start playing better than he already is and we know he can play better too.

JWP - now here I am not sure, I have seen him play, I like what he adds, what I don't know is how he will do over the duration of a full season, when he plays a handful of games in a row he looks like a solid player and was one of are better players over the last 2 seasons when he played, nothing spectacular about his game, but does all the basics right and has a great ability to read a game and organize the midfield and good vision, hardly every misplaces a pass, has only been caught in possession a few times that I can remember and that's amazing seeing how long he has been in the first team, adds a solid dead ball, which we are awful at when he is not on the team and think he in addition to HOJ and Lemina would be a solid mid 3 for the team in a 433. that is MY OPINION though, I respect those who disagree, but you wont change my mind on the fact i feel JWP is under used under rated and not given enough credit when he does play, should be Captain and starting every week imho.

Both Goalkeepers.

Lamina, this dude is a beast, just wish he would be more consistent and much better concentration and he will be a great player.

be gone list - Long, Austin, Davis, Foster as we have 2 better keepers.

Rest of them are still pretty decent players and should in no way be fighting for relegation imho, we should be a solid 13th - 6th team always fighting for best of the rest places out side the normal top 6 teams

I have 0 faith in the manager, some of the coaches, and members of the board.

All my own opinion

Its Strikers that you need to have faith in, even the very best miss two or three sitters a season however our strikers our severely lack pace & our missing two or three chances every single game!

Austin should be nowhere near any starting team & is past it, long does work hard but absolutely no end product so what's the point, gabiadinni woefully lacks confidence as hasn't had a long term run in the team, ings is a lightweight one trick pony.... basically our strike force is terrible lacks pace & most of them are old has beens, exactly where are the goals supposed to come from?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Its Strikers that you need to have faith in, even the very best miss two or three sitters a season however our strikers our severely lack pace & our missing two or three chances every single game!

Austin should be nowhere near any starting team & is past it, long does work hard but absolutely no end product so what's the point, gabiadinni woefully lacks confidence as hasn't had a long term run in the team, ings is a lightweight one trick pony.... basically our strike force is terrible lacks pace & most of them are old has beens, exactly where are the goals supposed to come from?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This.

Our defense is showing signs of more solidity (relatively), the clean sheet v Bompey away is a positive (Bompey average nearly 2 goals per game), Newcastle weren't arsed but still didn't get a sniff. Our attack lacks so many elements its little wonder at our lamentable goal tally. At least we are creating chances which is a positive, but our decision making and finishing are woeful (I think Mo's non pass to Austin v Newcastle sums it up, although Charlie probably would have shanked it wide).

I would normally give MH the benefit but the continual selection of Austin is quite simply baffling.

We need to take a gamble and buy a forward in January, if we don't we will be relegated simple as that.

• 1 year later...