The paper ban

thorpie the sinner

A lot of fuss about nothing... the echo and other papers charge members of the public for a copy of the photographs that they take, as well as the price for the toilet roll of a newspaper.. so why can't saints also charge! Its business at the end of the day!!

The Sun is just behaving like a spoilt kid with the "South Coast Team" bits.. ffs... support your club and buy a different paper!!

This is not about simply charging for photos and I think most people here would agree that they don't particularly care for the Sun either. It may be 'business at the end of the day' but this particular piece of business is unlikley to make us much money, as few people will actually pay us for photos, and the loss of goodwill could well lead to a further loss of money in other forms in the future.

This is not about simply charging for photos and I think most people here would agree that they don't particularly care for the Sun either. It may be 'business at the end of the day' but this particular piece of business is unlikley to make us much money, as few people will actually pay us for photos, and the loss of goodwill could well lead to a further loss of money in other forms in the future.

I understand your point of view, but didn't Leeds do they same last year? and I really haven't seen any negative impact on them for it... I may be wrong..

NC strikes me as the type of person who won't change his mind so his stance on photography will limit the club when it comes to sponsorship next season and therefore contrary to making the club money it will cost the club money. The press are not going to back down to some little noddy club which is what we are.

Lucky we weren't shown on a seemingly endless loop on SSN all day Saturday then..... ohhhhh....

The club doesn't need the echo/sun or anybody really to sell tickets to matches. The Echo and to a a lesser degree the nationals need reports from the games to sell papers. This is the bottom line, and Cortese seems a man who is all about the bottom line. It's obvious that he wants the fans to use the official site instead (which one can argue is updated 24/7, see the half eleven signing for example) , rather than speculation and out of date 'news' in a paper.

This reinforces it even more. "Southampton need all the publicity they can get while they fight their way back up the divisions". Err, actually no. With less publicity, the pressure's off and we can go about our business quietly and efficiently. But don't let that get in the way of a 5hit story, eh?

The club doesn't need the echo/sun or anybody really to sell tickets to matches. The Echo and to a a lesser degree the nationals need reports from the games to sell papers. This is the bottom line, and Cortese seems a man who is all about the bottom line. It's obvious that he wants the fans to use the official site instead (which one can argue is updated 24/7, see the half eleven signing for example) , rather than speculation and out of date 'news' in a paper.

And so how will it affect "the bottom line" when it comes to selling sponsorship in the future?

And so how will it affect "the bottom line" when it comes to selling sponsorship in the future?

I think if we are winning our matches/storming to the top of our division/going on cup runs (not saying this will happen, but putting more emphasis on the on-pitch performances) Then not only are we more likely to be attractive to sponsors as a successful team, but also more likely to be featured as broadcasted matches (another incentive to sponsor). IF we do achive this, I'm sure there will be more than one breakaway media group that 'realise the benefits of a revolutionary and mutually beneficial agreement for all parties involved, especially the Fans of Southampton Football club, and The readers of (Insert name here)'. Or Whatever PR ******** is spun on it.

Annnnnd that's my last allotted post.

Trouble is, the biggest story of the day (makes the nationals) concerning SFC rates not a mention on the OS, despite being "updated 24/7".

Quelle surprise!

BTW, this isn't going to just upset the media in this country, but all other League 1 clubs as well if Plymouth's reaction is anything to go by.

http://www.pafc.co.uk/page/InTheSpotlight/0,,10364~2114230,00.html

I'm hoping that Cortese will see sense - but I'm not holding my breath.

CCC. Clotese = crazed chief.

A couple of weeks ago people on here were hinting at this. Now you have The Sun putting it into print. Two totally different levels.

FFS - just what is going on? It all just seems a bit too crazy & clueless to make sense.

BTW, this isn't going to just upset the media in this country, but all other League 1 clubs as well if Plymouth's reaction is anything to go by.

http://www.pafc.co.uk/page/InTheSpotlight/0,,10364~2114230,00.html

Indeed, there's an official article on an official club website, condemning the action.

Hopefully those who think this is only about '******ing off The Sun' will see that it is about so much more than that.

94-95 season, we were palying Arsenal at the Dell, Brucie in goal. Our relationship with the PUN was probably at it lowest for years. The song that we sang that day is equally true today........

'The 5un is full of 5hit,

The 5un is full of 5hit,

And now yer gonna belive us,

The 5un is full of 5hit!'

The principal NC is forcing is correct - the fact that it ****es off the Scum is just an added bonus. Is NC 'doing a Mourinho' and taking the pressure off the players - and in this case, manager - and onto his own shoulders ?? I like his no-nonsense approach, and the fact that he winds people up. Imagine how much people will hate us when we win the Champions League... hilarious.

the principal nc is forcing is correct - the fact that it ****es off the scum is just an added bonus. Is nc 'doing a mourinho' and taking the pressure off the players - and in this case, manager - and onto his own shoulders ?? I like his no-nonsense approach, and the fact that he winds people up. Imagine how much people will hate us when we win the champions league... Hilarious.

ffs.

94-95 season, we were palying Arsenal at the Dell, Brucie in goal. Our relationship with the PUN was probably at it lowest for years. The song that we sang that day is equally true today........

'The 5un is full of 5hit,

The 5un is full of 5hit,

And now yer gonna belive us,

The 5un is full of 5hit!'

This could catch on .... :p

What have the Nationals ever done for us? Absolutely nothing, except tip us for Relegation most seasons and give us half an inch column space. Who cares what The Sun thinks.

The Sun made a special front cover edition for us winning the cup, I thought that was pretty decent.

Clotese. Still making me lol. Just the image of NC reading that and going nuts. I'm not sure that's the image he wants to portray in any way shape or form.

I can imagine him asking Whatta doessa thissa wordaa clotaa meanaa?

bertorelli01.jpg

Well er...

Edited by dune

What have the Nationals ever done for us? Absolutely nothing, except tip us for Relegation most seasons and give us half an inch column space. Who cares what The Sun thinks.

Obviously, the Sun is getting most of the attention on here - but there's also a link showing that the Telegraph are no longer using imagery from Southampton. And the Sports Journalists Association have condemned the decision.

As others have pointed out, Plymouth Argyle and the local Plymouth paper are unhappy too. No doubt the same will apply to other clubs and local papers too.

The old adage that all publicity is good publicity is just wrong. Ian Huntely and Raul Moat attract a lot of publicity. none of it good.

Ok, NC is being portrayed as "crazed" and "cretinous", not as a mass murderer - but this isn't the publicity we want at all.

Despite our opening day defeat, there's a good story to tell about Southampton Football Club, our new owners and the rebuilding of the club from the brink of oblivion. Getting these stories reported contributes to a feel good atmosphere and encourages the "marginal" fan to turn up and buy a ticket.

Today's sort of coverage is emphatically NOT what the club needs.

I am not anti Cortese but I do think this is an own goal.

Not worried much about the sun but the Echo reports for the local community many of whom cannot get to matches for various reasons but want to read a match report.

To take it to the nationals by upseting them means no national reports for the many fans home and abroad who want an independent view of proceedings and not rely on the slant of Cortese's official site.

Upset the nationals and suddenly Sky get involved. What if they decide not to cover Saints matches for the rest of the season? No hardship you might say but we get revenue from live matches and surely that is what Cortese wants to do, maximise revenue streams.

Later in the season Cortese will be looking for sponsorship deals for next season. Who is going to want to pay over money when the exposure is going to be so limited? Another revenue stream gone!

Cortese is no fool and may have taken this all into account or he may be so green as to the way of football and the media in this country that he has misread the situation.

Minty and FloridaMarlin (postings on the original thread) understand the issues. Readers would do well heeding their comments. So would Mr Cortese in my opinion.

I think we can rule out the Sun and the Echo from sponsoring us, but apart from that it's probably still business as usual.....

Aye, loads on companies will want to slap the names on our shirts knowing the photos will be in the, er.. on the, er... well, they will be publis.... er....

The most laughable part of this sorry episode is that at some stage Cortese is going to have to back down and he will find that humiliating, but there is also a more serious issue and that is that the British press will now i'm sure try to contact Markus Liebherr. So basically Nicola's poor judgement will affect his boss.

Cretinous behaviour of crazed chief.

You don't think that's at all libelous? Lowe sued and won for far less.

Cre-tin (noun) from the French crétin, a deformed and mentally retarded person found in certain Alpine valleys.

Unless Nicola is from the Italian Alps then clearly the statement is innacurate.

Let's wait and see how this works out for the club. NC has done well so far and this may all be a storm in a tea cup.

I don't think he has made the right decision here as the national press is a different animal compared to the local rag.

I hope NC is humble enough to reverse the decision if it proves to be incorrect - we will see.

Aye, loads on companies will want to slap the names on our shirts knowing the photos will be in the, er.. on the, er... well, they will be publis.... er....

Do you honestly think that companies - big expensive companies, with lots of money to write off against tax - sponsor football teams because they get a few pictures published in the local rag / and or the Sun?

I suspect their sponsorship deals are based more upon the exposure a team will get on Sky and other [possibly international] TV channels.