Terry Paine

spyinthesky

Is he still active as Club President?

Recollect that he was appointed at the time Cortese was here, reportedly as a 'political' appointment.

Seems to have been low profile since then but that may be that Terry is not getting any younger and happy to spend his time in South Africa.

Very good player btw for the younger members on here who never had the opportunity to see him play.

Terry was a great player but within the squad he had a few who weren't his best friends, so much so that during match practice they would often try to clatter him but his peripheral vision was so good they couldn't get near him hence 800+ games.

I have him as the best ever Saints player.

I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this one. He was certainly my favourite player as a kid starting out watching Saints. Most of his 160 league goals were scored in Div 3 Sth, Div 3 and Div 2. Only scored 38 in Div 1 when he'd gone more to a midfielder and less of a winger. That said it doesn't lessen his immense contribution during the era he played. How he would have fared in the 1990s when MLT was at his peak is a moot point. His 161 top flight league goals in 444 games certainly gives him a better strike rate. Those of us who were around to see both play can count themselves very lucky indeed. Compare both to Mick Channon who as an out and out striker had a strike rate not dissimilar to MLT's but scored 55 goals over three seasons in Division 2 out of his 185.

I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this one. He was certainly my favourite player as a kid starting out watching Saints. Most of his 160 league goals were scored in Div 3 Sth, Div 3 and Div 2. Only scored 38 in Div 1 when he'd gone more to a midfielder and less of a winger. That said it doesn't lessen his immense contribution during the era he played. How he would have fared in the 1990s when MLT was at his peak is a moot point. His 161 top flight league goals in 444 games certainly gives him a better strike rate. Those of us who were around to see both play can count themselves very lucky indeed. Compare both to Mick Channon who as an out and out striker had a strike rate not dissimilar to MLT's but scored 55 goals over three seasons in Division 2 out of his 185.

Is the inference in your post that you consider MLT the greatest player for Saints?

Genuinely interested. I never saw Channon or Paine play.

What you need to remember is that Terry was an out and out right winger in the days of forward lines of 5 and his main job was to dribble to the bye-line and get crosses in for Ron Davies, Derek Reeves, Martin Chivers and the other centre forwards of his time so you can't really compare his strike rate with people who's main job was to 'hit the back of the net' or "score goals" in those days.

Having seen him play literally hundreds of times, he was certainly one of the most gifted and exciting players ever to wear the red & white stripes if not quite the best ever and of course he played for England despite the lower divisions caveat that some rush to point out. He was very approachable as a person and would always stop for a chat. He was alway out and about in town and revelled in his fame unlike all our invisible mega-stars of today.

I took a great pic of him in the Director's box at the end of last season but don't know how to post it. He's not been in the box this season as far as I know.

I am a (very) long term supporter of the Saints.

It is difficult to compare players at different times/different teams/playing surfaces/types of footwear/footballs etc

However I rate Le Tiz/Channon/Paine/Lambert as the players I have most enjoyed watching.

Keegan and Shilton were top rate too but have left them out as they were only here a limited time.

Same goes for VVD

I wasn't able to see Charlie Wayman in action but many of my Dad's generation would really rate him

What you need to remember is that Terry was an out and out right winger in the days of forward lines of 5 and his main job was to dribble to the bye-line and get crosses in for Ron Davies, Derek Reeves, Martin Chivers and the other centre forwards of his time so you can't really compare his strike rate with people who's main job was to 'hit the back of the net' or "score goals" in those days.

Having seen him play literally hundreds of times, he was certainly one of the most gifted and exciting players ever to wear the red & white stripes if not quite the best ever and of course he played for England despite the lower divisions caveat that some rush to point out. He was very approachable as a person and would always stop for a chat. He was alway out and about in town and revelled in his fame unlike all our invisible mega-stars of today.

I took a great pic of him in the Director's box at the end of last season but don't know how to post it. He's not been in the box this season as far as I know.

As I say, fence sitter, not making a judgement at all. Can't, to be honest. I'm sure I put something about not lessening his immense contribution in my post. Anyway I agree with what you say, he was extremely gifted and would have won more England caps, but for 'Alf's Wingless Wonders'. Certainly a better crosser of a ball than anyone I've ever seen, a great dribbler, but more likely to open things up down the right wing through slick one-two's. The excitement at The Dell when he got free near the right corner flag was palpable because with big Ron in the middle Terry could be relied on to put it in an area which would lead to a chance or a goal.

I am a (very) long term supporter of the Saints.

It is difficult to compare players at different times/different teams/playing surfaces/types of footwear/footballs etc

However I rate Le Tiz/Channon/Paine/Lambert as the players I have most enjoyed watching.

Keegan and Shilton were top rate too but have left them out as they were only here a limited time.

Same goes for VVD

I wasn't able to see Charlie Wayman in action but many of my Dad's generation would really rate him

I'm pretty much saying the same thing

Well Pain has to be up there but Ron Davies was awesome as were several others already mentioned...

Personally thought Dave Armstrong was very underrated also ....

Ron Davies should have made my list. Great header of the ball but don't think he would have made the transition to the modern game as easily as the others on my list.

Oddly I always enjoyed watching Dave Burnside and Ken Wilmshurst play in the 1960's and Derek Reeves/George O'Brien were great players albeit in Division 3 days

No way. Played a lot of football in lower leagues. Matt le tissier our best no question.
Roger, you didnt see him play and so it is hard to just base it on statistics, and a few clips. Terry Paine was good enough to play in the World Cup winning team in the early rounds. MLT never made tournement stage for our country.

MLT was probably the most exciting Saints player Ive ever seen. Terry Paine was never my favourite player as Ron Davies and Mick Channon were my heroes as a kid. My father used to tell us we didnt understand the things Paine did that made the others so good.

It is impossible to say who is the best ever Saints player as it is all opinion, but MY all time best 10 (not in order as each has their own place in my heart) Ron Davies, MLT, Paine, Channon,Moran , Armstong, Ball, Shilton, Rod Wallace, Mark Dennis,

Well Pain has to be up there but Ron Davies was awesome as were several others already mentioned...

Personally thought Dave Armstrong was very underrated also ....

Agree, very underestimated. Armstrong was consistent through the 1980's and played an important part in three quite different Saints teams in that decade, the Keegan- Channon- Ball one touch side, the 1984 team (S/F & RUNNERS UP), and then after Lawrie left he was an important part of Nichol's first year (maybe two) playing LM, and at time LB & sweeper. Despite the changing position in the side I think he was our top goalscorer for much of that season also.

I have him as the best ever Saints player.

Not only the best but his emergence from the youth squads (alongside Sydenham and Chivers) was early evidence of the strengths of our successful youth programme. We all owe Terry Paine (and Ted Bates) a massive debt of gratitude.

Not quite joined up there old chap, next you'll be telling us you never saw Don Roper?

Not sure of the point you are making Charlie but I do vaguely remember Don Roper (and I played in the same side as his son later in life)

Cant remember too much about Don Senior's performance on the pitch but recollect I bought a lapel badge with his picture on