1. 1. Saints Greatest XI - The B-Team Right Side Striker Poll

• James Beattie
    • Phil Boyer
    • Martin Chivers
    • Ron Davies
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Steve Moran
    • Marian Pahars

TBH mate, I can't remember Ron Davies so he probably shouldn't make the A team or the B team as most people here are younger than me.

Tbf, you can't remember the name of a left-back who played for us just a few seasons ago!

I've read all the arguments on this thread so far, and I've changed my opinion. I don't think Phil Boyer should get in ahead of Ron Davies any more - rpb makes a good point - so can I change my vote to Big Ron please? If this isn't possible could we redo this whole poll/thread so that I can resubmit my vote. May also be a good way of removing some of the idiots who have posted so far!

This is the point I'm trying to make, but too many are voting for Keegan (good, but not in the same class as Big Ron). Any more of this and Ron will be pushed out for a player who was only with us for a couple of seasons.

Get behind Ron, people! Vote now before it's too late.

FFS IT'S THE BLOODY B TEAM YOU ARE VOTING RON DAVIES INTO. WAKE UP.

IT'S NEXT WEEK , THEN VOTE FOR HIM IN THE A TEAM

EVERY VOTE FOR RON THIS WEEK IS VOTING HIM OUT OF THE A TEAM

So you want him as second best. Vote next week for him in the A team not here for the B team.

He is the best striker we ever had, and if he is voted in to the B team this week as you seem to want, he can't be in the A team being voted for next week.

You just don't get it do you, unless you want Keegan in the A team not Davies.

Edited by derry

Surely the poll for the A team should have come first. How can you vote for a B team when you dont know who is in the A team?

Very true but it's been fun doing it this way round - it turns it into an intelligence test.

This is all a bit odd.

Why on earth are you running a vote for the B team first, including all the best players we've had who, should they win, then have the indignity of being lumped in the B team?

Either do A team first, and sort out the best players, or as someone else suggested, do one poll, with the winner into the A team and the loser into the B team?

St Landrew can protest as much as he likes about how simple it is to understand, but this is just bonkers. Running a poll on "who in your opinion is the second best right sided striker" is bizarre and it's no surprise you've confused everyone.

Whoever wins/loses is going to cause debate because when you run the A team poll you'll be deluged with requests saying "why on earth can't I vote for Keegan/Davies"

The excluded Keegan/Davies would deserve to be on the A list more than, say, Marian Pahars who then qualifies for the A vote by coming last in the B vote. Brilliant.

Vote for your number one, and then give the number two the B slot or re run the poll on a "best of the rest" basis.

I know it's only a bit of fun but it's gone a bit weird for me.

This is all a bit odd.

Why on earth are you running a vote for the B team first, including all the best players we've had who, should they win, then have the indignity of being lumped in the B team?

Either do A team first, and sort out the best players, or as someone else suggested, do one poll, with the winner into the A team and the loser into the B team?

St Landrew can protest as much as he likes about how simple it is to understand, but this is just bonkers. Running a poll on "who in your opinion is the second best right sided striker" is bizarre and it's no surprise you've confused everyone.

Whoever wins/loses is going to cause debate because when you run the A team poll you'll be deluged with requests saying "why on earth can't I vote for Keegan/Davies"

The excluded Keegan/Davies would deserve to be on the A list more than, say, Marian Pahars who then qualifies for the A vote by coming last in the B vote. Brilliant.

Vote for your number one, and then give the number two the B slot or re run the poll on a "best of the rest" basis.

I know it's only a bit of fun but it's gone a bit weird for me.

This thread/vote should be rerun after the second A team striker is chosen.

Well I'll tell you why I ran the B-Team selection first. For 2 reasons:

1] All through the team selection procedure, however we've done it, we've always resolved both A and B teams positions before moving on to the next place.

2] If I had resolved the A team's placings before the B team, the amount of interest would have died, because everyone wants to vote for who is the best. But lots don't care who come second.

So tough titty. ;)

1] All through the team selection procedure, however we've done it, we've always resolved both A and B teams positions before moving on to the next place.

2] If I had resolved the A team's placings before the B team, the amount of interest would have died, because everyone wants to vote for who is the best. But lots don't care who come second.

So tough titty. ;)

However when picking two cenre backs we voted for the two best on the same poll, that would have been preferable for the two strikers. It would have saved all this.

So tough titty. ;)

I bet you won't do this again will you :)

Some people never satisfied. Can we have a poll for the C team? How many subs will there be, I think I would like Keegan to come off the bench for the A team, should I vote for him in the B team, or will that mean we will be stuck with Brett Ormerod instead :cool:

I'm not sure what people's agendas are on here, but all this talk of not voting for Ron smacks as some sort of cabalist movement. I wouldn't be surprised if people are secretly PMing each other to team up and not vote for Ron.

Perhaps St Landrew could enforce some sort of Big Brother house style ban on discussing nominations? Do you have access to the PM system so you can stop people colluding against Ron?

I'm not sure what people's agendas are on here, but all this talk of not voting for Ron smacks as some sort of cabalist movement. I wouldn't be surprised if people are secretly PMing each other to team up and not vote for Ron.

Perhaps St Landrew could enforce some sort of Big Brother house style ban on discussing nominations? Do you have access to the PM system so you can stop people colluding against Ron?

I think you'll find that people are in fact colluding for Ron, because they want him to be in the A team where he belongs, not the B team which this vote is for.

If I had resolved the A team's placings before the B team, the amount of interest would have died, because everyone wants to vote for who is the best. But lots don't care who come second.

I think this is the problem. No-one cares about a bloody B team of the greatest players of all time.

Asking people to decide who they think is not quite the greatest player of all time is ridiculous. An A-Team vote-off featuring Moran and Pahars but not Keegan and/or Davies will look very silly indeed.

Coming soon on Channel 4 - Join Jimmy Carr for the run down of The Nation's Top 100 Second-Favourite Films.

Can't quite see it myself....

Then a quick explanation for you, just in case you're not on your usual wind up. And for others who still might not get it.

We have 2 teams. The A-Team, and the B-Team. The A-Team players are the apex of Saints. They are the very best Saints players that people can remember. The B-Team [backup] is for those players who were a gnat's wotsit behind the very best, in terms of quality.

However, what this means is, that in many people's eyes, players like Ron Davies are considered so good that they shouldn't be in the B-Team, and so some posters are advising others not to vote for him this time. Therefore, I've no doubt, that if Kevin Keegan, or someone else wins this B-Team slot, Ron will run away with next week's A-Team's left side striker vote.

Now that couldn't be simpler.

surely, surely if Ron is good enough for the A Team, then he is clearly good enough for the B Team.

Ron got my vote, i make no secret of that. You are right though, i am readily willing to admit, Ron might be better on the left, with Keegan on his right. Maybe with that in mind I would have voted differently. But either way - its an immense partnership.

Right that's it folks. I've run out of patience with you all. Go **** yourselves, 'cause I ain't doing it anymore.

Ta.

Now that's exactly what I want to write, right at this very, precise, moment.

No. Keep it up StL. If people can't read simple rules it's their loss. For the good of the forum and your reputation, stick to your guns and don't let them get to you!

surely, surely if Ron is good enough for the A Team, then he is clearly good enough for the B Team.

Ron got my vote, i make no secret of that. You are right though, i am readily willing to admit, Ron might be better on the left, with Keegan on his right. Maybe with that in mind I would have voted differently. But either way - its an immense partnership.

Ron was the best and is probably a shoe in for the A team next week.

If you vote him into the B team this week he cannot be nominated for the A team next week,

It's not, "is he good enough to be second best", Its "he is too good to be in this team".

Right that's it folks. I've run out of patience with you all. Go **** yourselves, 'cause I ain't doing it anymore.

Ta.

good idea, well run and interesting -just think this one should have been reviewed and voted for A team first - currently BT will get into the best ever saints forward line up -ahead of Keegan and Davies etc

I'm confused. So if i vote for Ron for the B team he can't get in the A team?

Correct, if he wins the poll on here now.

If you want him as the A team left striker next week you don't vote for him here.

I voted Keegan here, and provided Davies doesn't win this one, I will vote for him in the A team next week.

Once a player is selected in a position in the B team he is excluded from ALL other positions in BOTH teams. If he wins here that's it. He is finished/excluded.

The structure of the polls is obviously flawed then. Instead of doing two separate polls it should have been just one poll with the following options:

James Beattie A Phil Boyer B

James Beattie A Martin Chivers B

James Beattie A Kevin Keegan B

James Beattie A Steve Moran B

James Beattie A Marian Pahars B

James Beattie A Ron Davies B

Phil Boyer A James Beattie B

Phil Boyer A Martin Chivers B

Phil Boyer A Kevin Keegan B

Phil Boyer A Stev Moran B

Phil Boyer A Marian Pahars B

Phil Boyer A Ron Davies B

etc etc.

They're a fantastic 7 players to choose from, some being great enough to slot into any team. Please remember that you are voting for one player only, and that the winning candidate cannot be nominated or voted for in the A-Team next week or thereafter. So really we're after the third/fourth best striker ever to appear for Saints in our time. So choose carefully. The poll runs until early Saturday morning.

If we're voting for the 3rd or 4th best striker to get into the B Team and the best to get into the A Team. What about the 2nd/3rd best strikers from the A Team poll?

Surely the 2nd best striker should be in the B Team ahead of the 3rd or 4th best striker?:confused:

If we're voting for the 3rd or 4th best striker to get into the B Team and the best to get into the A Team. What about the 2nd/3rd best strikers from the A Team poll?

Surely the 2nd best striker should be in the B Team ahead of the 3rd or 4th best striker?:confused:

1st best striker with 2nd best striker in the A team. As a pair. Best L/ BestR

3rd best striker with 4th best striker in the B team. As a pair. B team L/R

Each poll is separate.

Edited by derry

1st best striker with 2nd best striker in the A team. As a pair.

3rd best striker with 4th best striker in the B team. As a pair.

What if the first and second best strikers are both right sided or both left sided and the same the for third and fourth best?

What if the first and second best strikers are both right sided or both left sided and the same the for third and fourth best?

Your two favourite strikers, it's up to you.

But it sounds like you've voted for your favourite striker to be in the B team.

It's not, "is he good enough to be second best", Its "he is too good to be in this team".

Clearly you never saw Ron play. He was definitely good enough to be second best - at the very least! And since when did someone being "too good" exclude them from selection for a team? That is mental. :rolleyes: You don't see Alex Ferguson dropping Ronaldo because he's the officially the best player in the world and Man United aren't top of the table!

Clearly you never saw Ron play. He was definitely good enough to be second best - at the very least! And since when did someone being "too good" exclude them from selection for a team? That is mental. :rolleyes: You don't see Alex Ferguson dropping Ronaldo because he's the officially the best player in the world and Man United aren't top of the table!

Ignore him Derry - he is obviously just being silly.

Ron is for me the best. I have watched Saints since 1954. If he is voted into this B team he will be rated third/fourth best Saints striker in this poll.

He then is disqualified from the A team. As it is, it looks like he will be saved, provided Keegan wins this poll.

Ta.

Hey, none of that now! I for one appreciate what you have done and the fact that some people have got confused is not your fault. You are blameless in this whole thing, if, indeed there is any blame to be dished out. The only people that I have a problem with are those that have tried to manipulate St Landrew into gettin their favourites into the team (I think we all know who they are).

Can I make a suggestion........we should just scrap what we have so far and start afresh with clearly defined rules and regulations. I would definitely ban anyone trying to influence the vote.

Ta.

It is fun and I for one think you are to be thanked for some of the not so clever posters who just keep up.

It is obvious the standard of poster on this site when you see their team selection...But me I am right up to speed and know exactly what is going on.

Just so I haven't missed anything lately..Please correct me if I have got it wrong....So far I have Ali Dia

and Peckhart as our A team strikers with Makin and Pulis as our centre Backs.

With Hammill and Ripley on the wings....What happened to my shout for Perry Groves and that Centre Back Marshall?

Keep going, your doing a grand job.

Thank you.

Ps Saints to win 6-1 this Saturday.

Can I make a suggestion........we should just scrap what we have so far and start afresh with clearly defined rules and regulations. I would definitely ban anyone trying to influence the vote.

Scrap and start again? Are you trying to influence the poll?

Well that's this particular poll finished. Kevin Keegan joins the B-Team attack. All other strikers, not assigned to either team are up for grabs. Here are the line-ups so far:

For the A-Team

-------------------Shilton---------------------

Golac-------Wright--------Svensson-----Bridge

Paine---------Ball---------Le Tissier---Armstrong

------------Channon-----------?----------------

and the B Team

----------------------Niemi----------------------

Dodd------Lundekvam------Watson---------Dennis

D.Wallace----Williams---------Case--------Marsden

--------------Keegan-----------?------------------

And now onto the nominations for the A-Team Left-sided striker.