Jack Stephens

Lord Duckhunter

• 2 weeks later...
Stephens shines to fill Van Dijk’s boots

Much of the discussion at St Mary’s after this stalemate inevitably involved Jack Wilshere, who was superb off the bench, but another Jack was again mightily impressive. Jack Stephens, a defender making just his sixth Premier League start, stood firm and calm amid Bournemouth’s late onslaught. Southampton’s academy has been quite the conveyor belt in recent years, especially developing defenders, and Stephens, who joined the club as a 17-year-old from Plymouth Argyle, has more than looked the part since being asked to fill Virgil van Dijk’s sizeable boots. His performances have prevented Martín Cáceres from making his first‑team debut. Cáceres has had to bide his time – building his match fitness with the under-23s, where Stephens began the season – as the England Under‑21 international goes from strength to strength.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/03/ten-talking-points-from-this-weekend-premier-league

Stephens is exactly the type of player we would be attempting to sign - an England U21 international, composed on the ball, and with several seasons in the lower leagues behind him.

No problems with him playing, he's doing a fine job and will benefit with the experience.

It's a bit OTT but I thought he played pretty well. It was Yoshida's mistake that led to Afobe's glaring opportunity and the poor clearances of others and flapping goalkeeper that brought about other chances.

He's doing all right. I'd be plenty happy to have him as probably the fourth part of next season's four man centre back pool.

It's parts one and two that are going to need filling once Virgil goes.

Very impressed with him when the ball is on the ground. However he is not strong in the air and once or twice on Saturday was bullied. Hopefully this can be sorted out on the training ground. I think that Yoshida has had a great season and has cut out many of his 'Yoshi moments' although he did make one mistake on Saturday that led to a clear chance. Having said that, it would be interesting to see Jack and Virgil together. Virgil seems much more of a communicator than Yoshida.

Stephens is exactly the type of player we would be attempting to sign - an England U21 international, composed on the ball, and with several seasons in the lower leagues behind him.

No problems with him playing, he's doing a fine job and will benefit with the experience.

Spot on. It's a classic example of a young player taking his chance when asked to cover for an injured player and accelerating his progress.

Very impressed with him when the ball is on the ground. However he is not strong in the air and once or twice on Saturday was bullied.

Exactly my thoughts, and never felt anxious when he was on the ball; he's definitely increased in confidence this year. But the physical side will come, I hope, as he matures. It's still the physical strikers he struggles against in the air.

The tackle in the first half where he caught up and dispossessed Afobe(?) was brilliant. As others have said, he's a classy operator with the ball on the deck but is pretty vulnerable in the air. I worry, for example, about his ability to cope with Benteke tomorrow night. He needs to bulk up a bit over the summer but with the right training we've got a very good player on our hands. Whilst Yoshi has been brilliant since VVD has been injured I think it would do Jack the world of good to play next to Virgil. Sadly, I don't think he'll get that chance.

It's a difficult one come the summer as Yoshida has been excellent but clearly we do need better. I wonder whether we will only bring in one CB and will leave Jack/Maya to battle it out for the starting spot.

I counted 7 attempted clearances in the first half yesterday. 5 successful clearances and 3 of those in an aerial duel. The 2 unsuccessful clearances weren't pretty but not catastrophic and on one he recovered the ball quickly.

Another step tonight, more education against one of the very best in the air & he did ok. Of course some chimps on here would rather a foreign Carlos kick a ball played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or alternatively Carlos Kickaball/Jack play DMC with Romeu suspended given Clasie is out of favour and S Davis probably injured. Just saying.

Jack Stephens is looking the part more so with every game ....lets not forget his age but the way he moves forward into space when he gets on the ball and distributes gives us an addition dimension going forward , VVD also does this , i wonder if he has been watching and learning from VVD .

Also good to note that the club rate Alfie Jones as a greater prospect than stephens and a potential future club captain , there may come a day when we have two academy graduates as first choice CB

way he moves forward into space when he gets on the ball and distributes gives us an addition dimension going forward , VVD also does this , i wonder if he has been watching and learning from VVD .

From what I have seen of him in academy and on loan games he has always had good ability on the ball, its one of the strongest parts of his game.

Not only is he gaining vital experience while not looking out of place, he's also getting the opportunity to form a CB partnership with Yoshida. I particularly like the fact Jack bagged an assist for Yoshida's goal last night.

Not wanting to go into revisionism, but on curent form, I do not think that Fonte would be displacing either Stephens or Yoshida.

Quite agree. Stephen's reminds me a bit of Chambers - athletic, good on the ball, picks a pass well; room for improvement aerially. Maybe not as quick as Chambers, but there are similarities.

Not wanting to go into revisionism, but on curent form, I do not think that Fonte would be displacing either Stephens or Yoshida.

Fonte wouldn't displace me with his recent performances.

• 4 weeks later...
Obviously Maguire is the hipsters favourite, the English centre half we should be signing. But I watched them both closely today and jack was far far superior. Defended well but his distribution was much better . We've got a good little player there . Imo

Don't agree with a lot of your posts but do on this. Jack and JWP are going to be the major positives of CP's time in charge. What I suspect we don't agree on is that time should end shortly..

Jack was easily our best player yesterday.

I wonder how many will still insist he is dropped for Caceres against Liverpool at Anfield (especially given how well Jack played there in the semi-final too)........

I'd like to see Caceres alongside Stephens to give him the benefit of his experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was fantastic tonight. He just gets better and better, was far superior than Smalling. His touch and distribution was first class and he's even started to step into midfield and knock some nice passes about. If he plays regularly next season & continues to develop, he'll be a wanted man next season. Claude was right giving him a run in the side

I thought he was fantastic tonight. He just gets better and better, was far superior than Smalling. His touch and distribution was first class and he's even started to step into midfield and knock some nice passes about. If he plays regularly next season & continues to develop, he'll be a wanted man next season. Claude was right giving him a run in the side

Only a complete tool would argue with that..... spot on.

Lets hope les doesnt do anything stupid this summer.

Chambers Mk II

Chambers wanted to go and looking where he is now we got an excellent deal I don't think Arsenal would get there money back if they tried to flog him this summer!

If he could Cruyff turn in his own penalty area and then moan at his own fans then City would be trying to sign him for £50mil. He was absolutely superb last night. Also loved him getting in Tadic's face in the first half after he tried to have a go at everyone. For a youngster who's only played a handful of games to take on the responsibility of telling a senior player to pull his ****ing finger out shows great strength of character. Have noticed before he's definitely got a bit of spike, often seems to be having verbals with opposition striker's.