Saints 2 Huddersfield 0 - Match & Reactions Thread

St Chalet

Shows the ridiculousness of VAR - how on earth could that realistically be called offside?

The ridiculous part was that it showed drawing the lines and it appeared like Long was onside (shoulder of defender vs Long's foot) and then 2 more lines appeared on the screen and apparently he was offside. If it was offside then fine, but not really sure where they drew the lines to reach that conclusion!

Very poor first half.

Vestergaard showing why he is nowhere near the first team - nearly costing us a goal near half time.

Danso, Adams, Romeu all looking terrible.

Smallbone looks like he has something about him: JWP been MotM by a country mile. BOufal flattered to deceive.

NOt many of these players will be troubling the first team any time soon............

It was offside. No debate.

I don t understand why people don t accept it.

It was pretty bloody close... I get it, "offside is offside", but it WASN'T clear where the lines had been drawn, and to me it looked possible that the defender's shoulder was closer to the goal than Long's foot.

Well this is all a bit after the lord mayor's show. No surprise I suppose given is practically a whole new team out for us. The whole game is very pedestrian with very little quaility. Crowd are trying on the atmosphere front in the he Itchen North but the whole game is very flat.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Very poor first half.

Vestergaard showing why he is nowhere near the first team - nearly costing us a goal near half time.

Danso, Adams, Romeu all looking terrible.

Smallbone looks like he has something about him: JWP been MotM by a country mile. BOufal flattered to deceive.

NOt many of these players will be troubling the first team any time soon............

Nutshell

Crap first half lots of possession but no directness or end product... I am starting to think Adams is toilet! can't see what he offers apart from holding up the occasional ball can't finish dinner let alone a football..

Mix it up a bit 2nd half and go direct!

It was pretty bloody close... I get it, "offside is offside", but it WASN'T clear where the lines had been drawn, and to me it looked possible that the defender's shoulder was closer to the goal than Long's foot.

You do know that the coloured lines we see are for spectators benefit. The officials do not use/see those lines

It was offside. No debate.

I don t understand why people don t accept it.

I think the issue is that for offside they draw lines and you can be a mm off (objective). For a penalty they ask “was it a clear and obvious mistake?” (subjective). They need to sort this out. Lost count of the number of times that the comma say “no penalty but if the ref had given it then it wouldn’t have been overturned”. So it was a penalty then? And some **** in black ****ed up but you don’t want to show him up?

Definite offside.

Ref seems a bit crap in general though, letting them get away with feigning head injuries, fouling Boufal, and stopping play repeatedly.

You were looking at the defender on the far side, right? Because when the first line was drawn, Long's foot looked ONSIDE. The only thing that could have changed was if Long's chest/shoulder was also further forward than his foot and that part of the drawing wasn't shown.

At the very least there was millimetres in it, so not sure how anyone can say it was "obvious".

I'm not complaining that it was disallowed, just bemusing that people think it was clear!

Not great. No pace or intensity in the game.

Of the kids, Vokins has looked okay, Smallbone pretty anonymous. Danso at right back is still a round peg in a square hole.

Adams continues to look bobbins. What's he good at?

Huddersfield have had a couple of dangerous counters. Could see them scoring.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

No I'm not sure about that bit... so who is drawing the yellow lines? Because those are the ones that made it look onside, and then eventually a red and a blue line were shown with the red being the offside one.

I'm not saying it wasn't offside, just that it wasn't obvious, in much the same way that Zaha wasn't obviously offside.

"Clear and obvious"...?

Having just read up on VAR rules, it seems that 'clear and obvious' doesn't apply to offside decisions.

Either you are or you're not...

Think they will have to re-write the offside rule as this is a 'clear and obvious' conflict with the game at the moment...

Well eventually we were going to be on the negative end of the atrocious VAR system on a tight call.

Home to Huddersfield is the game you want that decision to go against you.

No clue why Boufal one isn't a pen though. The guy comes through the back. Is that not as clear and obvious as the offside that they had to spend 5 minutes working out.

Rubbish 1st half - thank goodness I didn’t waste money on tickets. Adams STILL looks completely out of his depth with nothing to offer...never making the right moves in the box to anticipate opportunities. Just check out who’s on VAR duty - Mr. “Bias” Moss I believe, so no wonder he ruled what was a VERY close offside against us. Huddersfield have grown more confident as time as moved on and I can see this going to a replay or us being stuffed by a stupid defensive error or on the break. Just hope Ralph gets the team talk right.