Replacement for Les

Daft Kerplunk

Now Les has gone, wonder who the club will have lined up.

Maybe someone like Matt Crocker who was one of the true academy architects and went on to the FA could return, and the club could tempt Paul Mitchell whilst they’re at it.

Jason Dodd, Paul Williams and more could return too!

Mitchell's speciality is recruitment though.

I'm not sure I trust anyone on the board to recruit somebody really effective. We'll probably end up jumping into bed with a Super Agent which seems to be the way nowadays.

Who actually appoints Reed's replacement?

Surely it needs to be someone with a good knowledge of the football scene worldwide. That's not Ralph or Kat, so who advises them?

You've nailed it. We've been rudderless and clueless since Cortese left.

Perhaps Cortese should be on the interviewing panel - if he doesn't want the job himself. Saints must be an unfinished project for him.

Surely it needs to be someone with a good knowledge of the football scene worldwide. That's not Ralph or Kat, so who advises them?

There is this Irish footballing finance expert who is on Totally Football podcast every few weeks. He was heavily involved in the Sale to Goa and he has all sorts of algorithms to monitor the performance of clubs and managers. Maybe he advises on D.O.F's as well ?

Wonder if they've been consulting with Koeman around this... he was at the City game... couple of days later this happens. If you were Gao and knew nothing about football, who might you ask? Perhaps our most successful recent manager?

Curious how we'll structure things now... the Echo piece was telling on the change in structure when Cortese left.

Wenger might be a good shout....and we become a mini-Arsenal. Is he too old now though?

Interesting few weeks coming up I think.

Wouldn’t be too bad a shout looking at Brentford’s DOF (Phil Giles) and Head of football operations (Rob Rowan) to replace Wilson and Reed.

Similar club to us, in terms of mentality (buy, develop, Sale). Always punch above their weight and seem to get manager appointments spot on.

Wouldn’t be too bad a shout looking at Brentford’s DOF (Phil Giles) and Head of football operations (Rob Rowan) to replace Wilson and Reed.

Similar club to us, in terms of mentality (buy, develop, Sale). Always punch above their weight and seem to get manager appointments spot on.

I like your re-posting of a pretty good post!

Isn't their success largely credited to the guy that owns them who also owns that football data company and they buy their players with the help of the data his company collects? Sure I read that somewhere.

Isn't their success largely credited to the guy that owns them who also owns that football data company and they buy their players with the help of the data his company collects? Sure I read that somewhere.

They're very much a moneyball model, there will come a point where it will get a bit boring for their fans I'm sure. Strong enough to challenge, but never good enough to see it over the line. Rinse and repeat.

They've got a link with FC Mijyland as well iirc. Pretty sure a lot of their players go back and forth between clubs.

They're very much a moneyball model, there will come a point where it will get a bit boring for their fans I'm sure. Strong enough to challenge, but never good enough to see it over the line. Rinse and repeat.

They've got a link with FC Mijyland as well iirc. Pretty sure a lot of their players go back and forth between clubs.

Yeah, doesn't the guy own both clubs?

I'm assuming who ever takes over from Les will be working to the same business model?

Selling to buy, being self sufficient and keeping up the pretense that the Southampton brand is all about youth/ player development.

It will be interesting to see if getting rid of Les brings a new direction for the club or if the club just going to carry on with the same strategy with a different face at the footballing helm.

Mitchell could probably do the job but I do not know much about his persona apart from some excellent signings during his tenure. Someone in the Arsene Wenger mould would be ideal, but not him as too old now. Cortese was CEO and we already have one of those. We need an intelligent football man for this job, not a corporate high flyer IMHO.

Target someone from a set up that is known to get more than their resources, makes good signings that sell for more and gets youth into the team, that is what we were supposed to be about until we lost our way.

So identify a club in Europe or here where someone has a played a key role in that clubs success and see if we can tempt them to come work here.

Target someone from a set up that is known to get more than their resources, makes good signings that sell for more and gets youth into the team, that is what we were supposed to be about until we lost our way.

So identify a club in Europe or here where someone has a played a key role in that clubs success and see if we can tempt them to come work here.

Well put like that is sounds easy ?

TBH I'm still half expecting someone from China with Lander links..

Agreed. Brentford would be my suggestion.

Wonder if they've been consulting with Koeman around this... he was at the City game... couple of days later this happens. If you were Gao and knew nothing about football, who might you ask? Perhaps our most successful recent manager?

Wouldn't surprise me if this has happened. Seeing Koeman at the Man City game did make me ponder why he would choose to be at that particular game (I don't think there were any Dutch players on show?). Thinking out loud, would it be feasible/practical to hold both jobs at the same time (i.e. international manager + club DoF)?

Well their cheif executive has resigned this morning. Mark Devlin.

As a CEO, he wouldn't be a like-for-like replacement for Reed, but we've not had a CEO since Cortese so maybe the idea is to bring back that role with Devlin and scratch the DoF role. Or maybe we'll get a CEO in as well as getting someone else in as DoF. Devlin's role in football has been more about business/commercial development than getting involved in the day-to-day football side of things a la Reed https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-devlin-43516710

Just off to check out Devlin's earlobes. BRB.