The Pre-January Transfer Window Thread

Saint Garrett

Although it was a good performance at the weekend, as I was watching I couldn't help think we'd look even better with Lemina's energy in the midfield. We should be looking to add more dynamism to what is, Lemina aside, quite a flat-footed central midfield - not reducing it.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what shape Ralph opts to go with if Lemina is fit?

Stick to a winning formation? Or try & incorporate Romeu/Hoj/Lemina in the same side?

In today’s press conference, Southampton manager, Raplh Hasenhuttl, discussed the availability of his players and his aspirations in January.

Primarily, he touched upon the futures of Mario Lemina and Manolo Gabbiadini. After expressing a desire to keep Lemina in particular at the club, he made a more general comment concerning the rest of his squad.

“For all the other guys that are maybe part of speculations, we don’t want to speak a lot about speculations.”

“The players know what they have at Southampton, the players know what to expect from us. That’s the main part”, he added.

Steven Davis is certainly one of those subject to speculation. The Northern Ireland international has only started one Premier League this year and is reported to be on Rangers’ radar.

Initially frozen out under Mark Hughes, his situation hasn’t much improved under Hasenhuttl.

Yet, the manager was at pains to say he hasn’t made any decisions yet. Just a few weeks into the job, he is still assessing his players.

However, crucially, he believes there are likely to be departures next month.

“When January comes, I will make the decision with which players I want to follow and who, maybe, will leave us.”

Clearly, Hasenhuttl is holding all the cards here. He doesn’t seem to be under any major financial pressure to offload and he is confident that the club is strong enough to retain it’s best talent.

Yet, Steven Davis is yet to appear under Hasenhuttl and it is clear that in midfield, his priority is holding onto Lemina.

Therefore, the major positive for Rangers fans, is that the club could be open to offers.

Source: https://www.rangersnews.uk/transfer-news/davis-update-southampton-boss-open-to-departures-in-january/

So it looks like Davis, Gabbi and Fraser probably on way, JWP needs to move on for his own sake if Watford will buy rather than loan and can’t see him being a Ralph/pressing style player.

Hoedt really needs to move on as well, but he has only recently been dropped and might think he can get his place back if his attitude is right (another aspect I’ve never been convinced by with him). Gallagher will be either be on loan or possibly sold to somewhere like Sheffield Utd.

Lemina, Romeu and PEH keep, Redmond keep.

So it looks like Davis, Gabbi and Fraser probably on way, JWP needs to move on for his own sake if Watford will buy rather than loan and can’t see him being a Ralph/pressing style player.

Hoedt really needs to move on as well, but he has only recently been dropped and might think he can get his place back if his attitude is right (another aspect I’ve never been convinced by with him). Gallagher will be either be on loan or possibly sold to somewhere like Sheffield Utd.

Lemina, Romeu and PEH keep, Redmond keep.

Sam just needs to get fit for starters.

Elyounoussi needs to pull his finger out too.

Selling Gallagher would be a terrible error of judgement. Finally chance for him to progress under a decent manager who won't be afraid to give young players chances. He likes two up front, he likes pressing and physicality. He could be really useful here.

I agree, and I have always thought Sam has an unusual mix of height and athleticism. He’s at an age now though where he has to at least be on the bench when he is fully fit, and the sustained breakthrough needs to come asap.

Agree with whoever said Moi (SuperSaint) although given Boufal has been hard to shift permanently (which shows Lemina’s agent isn’t the only one full of hot air), it might have be a loan at this stage to free up wages. Has shown nothing worth keeping bar one tap in during the Celta friendly. Sisto showed exactly why he should have been Mane replacement, not blooming Boufal.

Do think JWP needs to move on as well for sake of all parties. Now Reed gone far more likely to happen.

It will be interesting to see how and whether Moi fits into the new style. I expect the likes of JWP, Stephens, maybe Hoedt, Davis, Gabbiadini, maybe Austin too and Forster to be the likeliest leavers. Im no fan of Long but I suspect RH will like him as an option off the bench as others have too.

I'm hoping that we can somehow identify and sign a commanding CB but this is hard enough in the summer. Cahill maybe the most likely available short term option and would provide well needed experience to the team. I would take Drinkwater as well in replacement for Davis and JWP.

The ideal January would also see a left sided attacker/winger but who is beyond me!

It will be interesting to see how and whether Moi fits into the new style. I expect the likes of JWP, Stephens, maybe Hoedt, Davis, Gabbiadini, maybe Austin too and Forster to be the likeliest leavers. Im no fan of Long but I suspect RH will like him as an option off the bench as others have too.

I'm hoping that we can somehow identify and sign a commanding CB but this is hard enough in the summer. Cahill maybe the most likely available short term option and would provide well needed experience to the team. I would take Drinkwater as well in replacement for Davis and JWP.

The ideal January would also see a left sided attacker/winger but who is beyond me!

The player we should have brought to replace Mane... Sisto. Won’t come cheap though, so probably a no go.

The player who has a really poor goal record and often runs with the ball until he loses it.

Personally I don't think we have room in attack for another non goalscorer. We desperately need a winger or supporting forward who has a half decent goal record.

Even if it's in a worse league, as Mane was, they're used to scoring and it's clearly part of their game.

Elyounoussi.

Watching Celta against Barcelona, and still think its a huge shame that Boufal isn't here to work with Hassenhuttl. Think he'd suit both the style of play, and the style of man-management.

Yes, would love to see him back - playing where Armstrong is at the moment. Under Ralph I think we would see a much improved Boufal.

Seriously what is this attitude thing? Been said quite a few times. Can't just be failing out with Mark Hughes, that would mean half of football has an attitude problem.

He's just a fairly young attacking player who takes risks so loses the ball a fair bit. He chases back, he closes down.

He came here under a manager who plays negative football and then the club was a mess since. 2 further managers weren't going to help him or anyone.

So he's really had zero chance here. Why is it attitude? Fact is, he's never had a decent run of starts to gain an understanding with teammates. Who knows where he'd be if he'd been given the starts of Redmond or Long in the last couple of years.

If he was here a season under Ralph and failed, fine but it would be nice to find out what a talented player like that could do under a good coach who wants to attack.

The way he celebrated that goal in front of Pellegrino was pretty unacceptable. Its not a stretch to believe that there has been other stuff behind the scenes that we don't know about

Seriously what is this attitude thing? Been said quite a few times. Can't just be failing out with Mark Hughes, that would mean half of football has an attitude problem.

He's just a fairly young attacking player who takes risks so loses the ball a fair bit. He chases back, he closes down.

He came here under a manager who plays negative football and then the club was a mess since. 2 further managers weren't going to help him or anyone.

So he's really had zero chance here. Why is it attitude? Fact is, he's never had a decent run of starts to gain an understanding with teammates. Who knows where he'd be if he'd been given the starts of Redmond or Long in the last couple of years.

If he was here a season under Ralph and failed, fine but it would be nice to find out what a talented player like that could do under a good coach who wants to attack.

He plays for himself, likes doing a few fancy tricks and dribbles and misses chances to advance our attack. He has been given many chances and failed to impress under 3 different managers.

The bad attitude thing comes from a few things, mainly the way he plays but there were a couple of other incidents. Storming off when getting subbed off in a reserve game and all the sh*t he gave MoPe after his WBA goal. He had done f**k all for nearly a year before that and was shouting in MoPe’s face as if not starting him was a huge miscarriage of justice. He then got about 5 starts in a row and did absolutely nothing.

It seems he regularly gets subbed off for Celta too, so can’t be doing anything special there.

He's never started more than a couple of premier league matches in a row. That is not being given a chance. Others got 30+ games without performing.

I refuse to write off any player who have mainly had to play under Pellegrino and Hughes.

Every player in the team then apart from McCarthy, Bertrand, Cedric, Redmond, Hoj, Lemina and Hoetd , correct? as these are the only ones who ever get consistent game time.

I feel as optimistic about this transfer window as I did about our managerial appointment because Les Reed won't be involved. We should see some much needed common sense prevail at last. We can look forward to some of the dead wood being offloaded and the squad being strategically strengthened.

If we don't back him in January we haven't progressed at all. What's the point signing a good manager if the board don't back him? Time for kat and gao to open their bloody wallets. Since 2014 our net spend it minus 17 million. We got bloody loads of cash and I don't buy this "we can't afford to buy anyone" every time November hits. If ralph wants a 30 million player we have no excuses. Just pay it! No more buying cheap. We need established quality.

...and also this one... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Goiginger

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Post match Ralph was interesting on transfers.

Said he has been able to see most of the players now and determine if they are useful to him or not.

Said he knows a few positions he would like to strengthen and the window* gives us a chance to do that.

Sounded like there could be quite a lot of change, and given our position and fixtures the sooner it arrives the better.

* The one thing I miss about Puel is him whispering "window mercato" as if it was a secret

(As an aside I asked an Olympiakos fan about the Norweigan RB we have been linked with and he said he is a good, strong, physical RB who can cross and makes good forward runs. Not rapid but quick enough.)

Since 2014 our net spend it minus 17 million. We got bloody loads of cash and I don't buy this "we can't afford to buy anyone" every time November hits.

net spend doesn't include signing on fees, paying loyalty bonuses and **** manager redundancies. Also, our wage bill is ****ing massive. It consumes pretty much all the TV and Prem revenue. Do we have massive funds in the bank waiting to be spent? I'm not so sure. We certainly don't appear to have an owner prepared to spend money not generated by the cub. Prepare to be disappointed by our transfer dealings.

net spend doesn't include signing on fees, paying loyalty bonuses and **** manager redundancies. Also, our wage bill is ****ing massive. It consumes pretty much all the TV and Prem revenue. Do we have massive funds in the bank waiting to be spent? I'm not so sure. We certainly don't appear to have an owner prepared to spend money not generated by the cub. Prepare to be disappointed by our transfer dealings.

Very few people remember or want to include the wages / fees / pay offs as if they don't exist.

They just say: "But the TV money!"