The "Deadline Day" Thread

Saint Garrett

Whatever happened to the rumour of the cheap DM - Vukovic (sp.)? I mean he started following us on instagram and everything. He could be just the insurance we need for Romeu this year.

Depended on us getting rid of Lemina to a British club (or at least before end of our transfer window). Can't take the chance of being lumbered with Lemina past end of August as he'll need to be re-integrated if he doesn't leave.

Adam Blackmore: #saintsfc confident/hopeful that Charlie Austin could get a move today

#WBA strong possibility after earlier interest

Austin, Lemina & Carrillo the 3 senior players not in squad

But the other two (& anyone else) can still get moves abroad until Aug 31st

————-

Adam Leitch: #DeadlineDay hopes at #SaintsFC not high at this stage

- Austin could go but need a late move to get anyone else out

- Interest in players from overseas but their windows remain open so unlikely today

- Without sales can't expect more signings

- Loans expected for some youngsters

Who do we think?

- Harry Lewis (no point being 4th choice)

- Hesketh (assuming he's fit)

- Reed (assuming Lemina leaves in the next few weeks)

- Barnes (unless we want him to bulk out the U23 forward line)

surely to those bleating for a new CB can see we already have 5, and given that we failed to sell at least 1 means we can't really buy another?

I am actually less concerned about the CB situation and worried more so for our midfield, as after PEH/Romeu I don't rate anyone else in the CM/CDM role (and Lemina has clearly gone AWOL).

Young French keeper Illan Meslier has joined Leeds on loan.

Notable only because he was rumoured to have been given the Staplewood tour earlier in the summer.

And, I suppose, it means Leeds won't be taking any of our keepers off our hands.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Good news on Redmond, but does feel like a PR distraction on deadline day.

Like one or two others, I’m more worried about a DM than a CB now.

I’m reconciled to not getting in a £20m CB to bolster the defence. I guess we limp on with what we have.

But in midfield, if say Romeu gets suspended and Hojbjerg injured, we have a huge hole, assuming Lemina is gone.

I’ve lowered my sights to hoping for a c£5m DM just for cover.

Central Midfield is especially worrying for me. Hojbjerg and Romeu, backed up by Reed and Slattery. And that’s if they don’t go out on loan. If Lemina is going, especially after the window closes to Europe, we need another midfielder today. JWP can play there but is better suited further forward. After that we’re looking at youngsters or playing someone out of position.

Very worrying. At least at centre back we have quantity even if the quality isn’t all there. Central midfield is very thin.

Another player still on the books is Hesketh. Loaned out surely? Or with Sims gone, does he have a future here?

Who do we think?

- Harry Lewis (no point being 4th choice)

- Hesketh (assuming he's fit)

- Reed (assuming Lemina leaves in the next few weeks)

- Barnes (unless we want him to bulk out the U23 forward line)

Surely after a couple of decent seasons we are giving him a go. I’m nervous enough about midfield personnel as it is without shipping any more out!

Good news about Redmond though. One positive from this summer has been the ability to hold on to the likes of Redmond, Bertrand and JWP.

I’m reconciled to not getting in a £20m CB to bolster the defence. I guess we limp on with what we have.

But in midfield, if say Romeu gets suspended and Hojbjerg injured, we have a huge hole, assuming Lemina is gone.

"Reconciled"? Do you mean "resigned"?

Sam Wallace: Southampton forward Nathan Redmond has signed a new four-year deal at the club that represents Saints' most important contract renegotiation of the summer.

There has been a major refresh and restructure of the squad this close season by manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and director of football operations Ross Wilson, and keeping Redmond was central to that strategy. The 25-year-old has been used extensively by Hasenhuttl since his arrival in December and his performances for Saints earned him his first senior England cap in May. Securing the long-term future of Redmond, who is going into his fourth season at the club, is crucial to Southampton’s new high-energy, youthful approach under Hasenhuttl.

Both Michael Obafemi, 19, and Yan Valery, 20, brought to the academy in their late teens and now first team players, have signed new deals this year.

Barring a late intervention today, Mario Lemina is now likely to leave for a European club before the Sept 2 deadline. The former Juventus midfielder has been the subject of interest from Wolves this transfer window, as well as Arsenal. Saints are looking for a permanent move for him, or at the very least a loan with an obligation to buy later. Roma and Sevilla have shown the greatest interest in the 25-year-old. Charlie Austin is in talks with West Bromwich Albion.

"Reconciled"? Do you mean "resigned"?

More reconciled than resigned. I can see the case that we can’t improve the CB position without both outgoings and a ton of money.

I dimly remember WGS saying after we got to the Cup final that to improve the squad would require huge expenditure in any given position. Implication was we were at 7/10 everywhere and it would cost a ton to get to an 8.

Little bit similar now (although closer to 6/10), with the exception of no depth in centre midfield, which is a quick and relatively cheap fix.

Does Ralph think he can get a good job out of Reed maybe - i think thats an option worth looking at as always liked what ive seen of him. Possibly a good chance to breakthrough for him this year

More reconciled than resigned. I can see the case that we can’t improve the CB position without both outgoings and a ton of money.

I dimly remember WGS saying after we got to the Cup final that to improve the squad would require huge expenditure in any given position. Implication was we were at 7/10 everywhere and it would cost a ton to get to an 8.

Little bit similar now (although closer to 6/10), with the exception of no depth in centre midfield, which is a quick and relatively cheap fix.

reconcile

verb

past tense: reconciled; past participle: reconciled

restore friendly relations between.

"the king and the archbishop were publicly reconciled"

make (one account) consistent with another, especially by allowing for transactions begun but not yet completed.

"it is not necessary to reconcile the cost accounts to the financial accounts"

I'm a bit confused at how you can be reconciled to not signing a player. I may being dim, mind.

The annoying thing is, with the European window as it is, after today we might still lose players and the squad just gets weaker without any ability to improve it until January.

Like at least it would be good to draw a line in the sand today and think that Ralph might be able to get more out of say Boufal, Hoedt and Cedric than the last few managers have, but for pretty much another month we'll have speculations over these players.

Hell even maybe getting Lemina into the fold and making more use out of him.

reconcile

verb

past tense: reconciled; past participle: reconciled

restore friendly relations between.

"the king and the archbishop were publicly reconciled"

make (one account) consistent with another, especially by allowing for transactions begun but not yet completed.

"it is not necessary to reconcile the cost accounts to the financial accounts"

I'm a bit confused at how you can be reconciled to not signing a player. I may being dim, mind.

The example given in the Cambridge dictionary is “how do you reconcile your belief in science with your religious convictions?”

The case for me (although not yet used in a dictionary!) is “how can you reconcile your belief that Saints need a new centre back as a high priority with your view that it wouldn’t be too bad a transfer window if we didn’t sign one?”

HTH