The "Deadline Day" Thread

Saint Garrett

The fact that he can't get in Spurs team doesn't necessarily mean he isn't significantly better than the limited options we have in that position currently. I get why we aren't normally keen on loans, but in our current situation, a couple of loans of experienced players in key positions until we can afford perm signings could make a big difference to us in my opinion.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Of course not but having seen a few of his rare showings last season showed he is not the player he was so why is he good enough for us, imo he is not and the fact he is injury prone now is a concern too

Of course not but having seen a few of his rare showings last season showed he is not the player he was so why is he good enough for us, imo he is not and the fact he is injury prone now is a concern too
He didn't play much last season. Imo it's worth a gamble that Ralph can get a fair amount out of him. One poor season of not playing much doesn't suddenly make him a terrible player.

Crystal Palace are lining up a bid for Jean-Kevin Augustin to add to their attacking options if Wilfried Zaha leaves the club, Sky Sports News understands.

The 22-year-old is still in Germany but is on standby to fly to London in case a last-minute deal is agreed for Zaha. Augustin would cost around £15m.

Would've loved him here, but we were committed to Ings... :mcinnes:

It is already showing on ticker bar. Redmond new contract until 2023

Crafty bastards, no good news about incoming players so announce something that could have waited for a few more days to distract easily duped fans.

Hope it doesn't mean Hoj will not sign a new contract.

No wonder we can't afford new players if we've just doubled Redmond's salary.

As a complete aside, I'm surprised Jarrod Bowen hasn't moved this window (at least so far). Entering the final year of his contract, goal scoring wide midfielder and young as well - you'd have thought he would have been snapped up by one of the mid to lower prem clubs by now. Not exactly a priority for us (especially if we keep Boufal) but decent championship player that could thrive in the prem.

We need to look after our best players. Yes we are paying him more money now but the real benefit to us is that if Redmond has a good season and a bigger club wants to buy him, he will command a bigger transfer fee because he had a longer contract than if we had not done what we kust did. We did the same with vin Dijk and that is why we got 80ish million for him. Had he not just signed a new a. Extent sion we would have got significantly less money. So the club are looking after the player but also the future of the club.

Yes. Ledley King was injured loads for spurs but was excellent when he played. Wanyama on loan would definitely improve us in dm even if he can't play every game.

I do hope you’re not one of those castigating the club for wasting money in previous transfer windows.

Crafty bastards, no good news about incoming players so announce something that could have waited for a few more days to distract easily duped fans.

To be fair, around 50% of Saints fans probably voted to leave the EU, so they know they can easily dupe half of them.

doubt

I think some of you are now aware of the mess Les Reed caused and was causing.

Probably now realize why I was so desperate to get him out of our club.

Clubs hands are now tied and we need to clean up the Les mess for another few transfer windows.

Horrible but our reality

Most people on here had cottoned on to this a couple of years or more ago, it didn't need a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist to work it out for us.

Austin seems to have gone according to Sky past a medical and fee believed to be around £4 million.

So that is probably at least £50k a week just freed up from the wage bill.

Come on Saints 3 hours to go, a cheeky last minute signing of DM would do.

I do hope you’re not one of those castigating the club for wasting money in previous transfer windows.
Bringing someone in on loan - possibly with subsidised wages or pay as you play- is not an example of wasting money in the same way giving a five year contract to forster is.

The vibe from Hassenhuttl there is that he's definitely more rather than less expectant of getting one more player in. Could just be sending out a "well, we tried up until the last minute" message to placate fans I guess, but he seemed genuinely convinced that we can stil get one more in. Although he did say that we wouldn't sign someone just for the sake of ticking a box... "if we do sign someone it would have to be a perfect fit" (or words to that effect)

Ralph hinted that Lemina more likely to move abroad, but should be going.

Said he has enough defensive options, but could still be incoming.

Ings, Adams, Djenepo and Adams working well together. Add in Long, who's still in contention, Obafemi who's impressed and Boufal, who seems to be part of plans (think RH said talented player) and there's lots of competition in the attacking positions.

He talked of a front three, so think we'll see 343.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The vibe from Hassenhuttl there is that he's definitely more rather than less expectant of getting one more player in. Could just be sending out a "well, we tried up until the last minute" message to placate fans I guess, but he seemed genuinely convinced that we can stil get one more in. Although he did say that we wouldn't sign someone just for the sake of ticking a box... "if we do sign someone it would have to be a perfect fit" (or words to that effect)
They’re pretty simple boxes to tick, we’re not asking for Van Dijk.

Are they a centre back? Tick

Can they head the ball? Tick

Can they make a tackle? Tick

Can they turn faster than an oil tanker? Tick

Can they concentrate for 90 minutes? Tick

Sign here please.

He was saying that at 2pm, 3 hours before the deadline, things would need to be pretty advanced already for it to go through in time.

He didn't play much last season. Imo it's worth a gamble that Ralph can get a fair amount out of him. One poor season of not playing much doesn't suddenly make him a terrible player.

I never said he was terrible did I?

Try to read properly...…. I said he is far from the player he was when he left us and injury prone to boot....

They’re pretty simple boxes to tick, we’re not asking for Van Dijk.

Are they a centre back? Tick

Can they head the ball? Tick

Can they make a tackle? Tick

Can they turn faster than an oil tanker? Tick

Can they concentrate for 90 minutes? Tick

Sign here please.

TBF, VVD has the odd brain fart, so don't think he even ticks all those boxes.

Still think a midfielder is more important with Lemina going.

Not sure I'd say more important, but still important. Lemina didn't actually feature much last season and we did ok. Our midfield could be stronger and if Romeu and/or Hojbjerg pick up suspensions or injuries (which they inevitably will) we are in a spot of bother.

However, at least our first choice CMs are ok. Our first choice CBs are not.

(For the record, I also want us to sign a replacement for Lemina, I'd just prefer it to be as well as rather than instead of a defender)

TBF, VVD has the odd brain fart, so don't think he even ticks all those boxes.
Our CB’s have more “brain farts” in the first half of a game than he does in an entire season.

The combined value of all 6 is probably less than him on his own

Austin seems to have gone according to Sky past a medical and fee believed to be around £4 million.

So that is probably at least £50k a week just freed up from the wage bill.

Come on Saints 3 hours to go, a cheeky last minute signing of DM would do.

A DM and I would pump this window up to a 7/10

Sounds like could be one or two in. Came from nowhere that.
Two would be even better.

If Wee Ross pulls it off, he will have gone up a few centimetres in my estimation.
If he pulls off the signing of a DM and CB, I think my willy would have grown a few centimetres too.

Talk about leaving it late though! Granted it was probably a lot to do with Austin leaving but I'll still be delighted if we even bring one DM in. Still, All it will take is for Boufal or Cedric or Hoedt to suddenly decide they actually don't want to be here between tomorrow and the end of August, throw a paddy and refuse to play demanding to be sold, and the squad will go back to looking very thin again.