Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Clynes contract at Liverpool ends next June. So horrible timing for him.

He will be available on a free next summer

I remember when we had Clyne alternating with Chambers at right back and felt we had to let one of them go. Instead we let both of them go. Cedric has been OK but his lack of height has consistently been exploited by teams who play high crosses over his head. Chambers was Fulham's Player of the Season this year and won the vote by a country mile. I know they were relegated but he's still only young and I think he could do a job for us again. Clyne's 'lifestyle issues' as well as his injuries make his future prospects look less promising.

I remember when we had Clyne alternating with Chambers at right back and felt we had to let one of them go. Instead we let both of them go. Cedric has been OK but his lack of height has consistently been exploited by teams who play high crosses over his head. Chambers was Fulham's Player of the Season this year and won the vote by a country mile. I know they were relegated but he's still only young and I think he could do a job for us again. Clyne's 'lifestyle issues' as well as his injuries make his future prospects look less promising.

The way you paint things we let Chambers and Clyde leave at the same time. We didn’t. Arsenal offered £16m for a 18/19yo with 20 odd appearances - a lot of money back then. We didn’t let him leave, we get more than fair value. He is, arguably, worth no more than that today despite the huge hike in transfer fees in the interim. As seems to be the case so often with Arsenal, he hasn’t developed, so far, in to the player many of us though he could be. Granted he still has time, but being Fulham’s player of the year is hardly a commendation - they were a particularly poor side.

12 months later, Clyne refused to sign a new contract and we sold him for £10m with 12 months remaining on his contract. He’s hardly pulled up trees at Liverpool imo, and had a pretty anonymous spell at Bournemouth. Finally, height wise, he’s taller than most of the players people would regard as the best full backs in the world.

For Chambers read Stephens: too slow to play right back, not defensively strong enough to play centre back.

Fulham had the worst squad of defenders ever assembled by a Premier League side - and they still thought Chambers was too poor to play at the back. He was their POTY as a makeshift holding midfielder (who couldn't pass water).

He's only played regularly for two PL sides - and they've both gotten relegated.

I don't see any reason why we would ever consider bringing him back. Also, Arsenal value him at £25m. Which is frankly hilarious.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Horrible timing for Liverpool. They’d have been trying to sell him. Now they pay him for 12 months and then he leaves for nothing.

I feel sorry for Clyne, for 2 seasons he was their first choice right back and was Englands first choice during that time period too. Injuries have really put a stop to his career, had he not got injured I think he'd have retained his place in one of the best Premier League teams we've seen in the last 10 years.

Liverpool will hope he'll recover in time for them to sell in the January window, so I suspect they'll still manage to get a fee for him, all be it a small one.

Clynes injury allowed Alexander-Arnold to get first team football which has worked out well for Liverpool, the emergence of Alexander-Arnold and his estimated value has gone a long way to offset the loss they'll make on Clyne

I feel sorry for Clyne, for 2 seasons he was their first choice right back and was Englands first choice during that time period too. Injuries have really put a stop to his career, had he not got injured I think he'd have retained his place in one of the best Premier League teams we've seen in the last 10 years.

Liverpool will hope he'll recover in time for them to sell in the January window, so I suspect they'll still manage to get a fee for him, all be it a small one.

Clynes injury allowed Alexander-Arnold to get first team football which has worked out well for Liverpool, the emergence of Alexander-Arnold and his estimated value has gone a long way to offset the loss they'll make on Clyne

TAA has already got more assists in the PL than Clyne, and has probably delivered more world class crosses in one season than most full backs manage in a career. I liked Clyne and I haven't paid enough attention to know how good TAA is as a defender, but his delivery is absolutely next level.

Nobody is going to pay for a fullback coming back from an ACL, with 6 months left on his contract. IF he is fit by January, he might get a loan, then leave on a free in summer.

TAA has already got more assists in the PL than Clyne, and has probably delivered more world class crosses in one season than most full backs manage in a career. I liked Clyne and I haven't paid enough attention to know how good TAA is as a defender, but his delivery is absolutely next level.

Clyne, when fit, is a much better defender than TAA but while he gets into very good positions, has only had so-so delivery (unlike TAA, though arguably better than Cedric).

It depends what you prioritise - call me old-fashioned but a fullback should first and foremost defend. Attacking and crossing are the cherries on top.

Clyne, when fit, is a much better defender than TAA but while he gets into very good positions, has only had so-so delivery (unlike TAA, though arguably better than Cedric).

It depends what you prioritise - call me old-fashioned but a fullback should first and foremost defend. Attacking and crossing are the cherries on top.

I think it purely depends on how the team plays. Both TAA and Robertson hardly need to defend, but need to have a great delivery (which they both do in spades).

More a never made it than a defector but Jason McCarthy has signed for Millwall from Wycombe. He's carved out a decent lower level career' date=' so far, and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on in the Championship.[/quote']

Hadn't seen that. Great move for him.

Ryan Tafazolli recently got a move to Hull from Peterborough.

I've just read Millwall are close to signing Bialkowski too.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Doesn't seem like yesterday I started this thread - but it is 5 years ago today!

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Good thread though - thanks.

Yeah, great thread. I always want players (more so the young players) to do well after leaving.

Carlisle have bolstered their squad ahead of the new Sky Bet League Two campaign with the addition of striker Olufela Olomola.

Olomola has moved to Cumbria on a season-long loan from S****horpe.

Olomola spent the first half of the 2017/18 season on loan at Yeovil from Southampton, where he scored seven goals in 21 games.

He moved to S****horpe in the summer of 2018 on a three-year deal and enjoyed a second loan spell with the Glovers last season, scoring three goals in 21 games.

Some really revealing stuff about Claude in here:

“I thought as a coach some of the stuff he tried to say was right. The way he went about it wasn’t great. I didn’t have a conversation with him the whole time he was here. He wasn’t really chatty with anyone. I was getting frozen out. I was thinking, ‘How is this guy who’s been here two weeks, telling me who’s been here 10 years that I’m the one who has to leave?’ That was hard to take."

Some really revealing stuff about Claude in here:

“I thought as a coach some of the stuff he tried to say was right. The way he went about it wasn’t great. I didn’t have a conversation with him the whole time he was here. He wasn’t really chatty with anyone. I was getting frozen out. I was thinking, ‘How is this guy who’s been here two weeks, telling me who’s been here 10 years that I’m the one who has to leave?’ That was hard to take."

Says Andy King, who's gone out on loan to Swansea & Derby recently.

Says Andy King, who's gone out on loan to Swansea & Derby recently.
Exactly, all a bit of a non story really isn't it. Player not fancied by new manager is left out of team, ummm wonder if that's happened many times before at any other club? Unless your one of these people who want to continue to beat one of our ex managers, I think there's nothing to see here. Time to move on.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Exactly, all a bit of a non story really isn't it. Player not fancied by new manager is left out of team, ummm wonder if that's happened many times before at any other club? Unless your one of these people who want to continue to beat one of our ex managers, I think there's nothing to see here. Time to move on.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

SWF geniuses: it's a disgrace that Puel has frozen out Andy King.

Also SWF geniuses: let's make Fraser Forster's life a living hell.

Heard a nice story from the owner of a restaurant i ate at in Oxford street last night. He stated when Tadic was here he became a regular in his restaurant with his family and friends. Over time the two became friends and Tadic introduced him to other Serbian players at parties in London.

When Tadic was sold he asked the restaurant owner if he would drive him to the airport in Tadic's Porche Cayane, which he agreed. However there was one flaw in that plan, how was the restaurant owner getting home? Tadic told him he had two options, either he catches the train home or he drives the porche home because he's not taking the car with him. He basically handed over the keys to a car worth over £50K for nothing.

The restaurant owner sold the car and used the money to buy his wife her own business in Canute road. Apparently Tadic said loads of players when sold to countries abroad just abandon their cars at the airports!!

What a great guy he was!

Heard a nice story from the owner of a restaurant i ate at in Oxford street last night. He stated when Tadic was here he became a regular in his restaurant with his family and friends. Over time the two became friends and Tadic introduced him to other Serbian players at parties in London.

When Tadic was sold he asked the restaurant owner if he would drive him to the airport in Tadic's Porche Cayane, which he agreed. However there was one flaw in that plan, how was the restaurant owner getting home? Tadic told him he had two options, either he catches the train home or he drives the porche home because he's not taking the car with him. He basically handed over the keys to a car worth over £50K for nothing.

The restaurant owner sold the car and used the money to buy his wife her own business in Canute road. Apparently Tadic said loads of players when sold to countries abroad just abandon their cars at the airports!!

What a great guy he was!

I guess all his meals are served with a pinch of salt.

What a great guy he was!

The finance company will be furious

What a great guy he was!

Which restaurant?

What a great guy he was!

Angus Steak House?

Schneiderlin might be off.

SCHNEIDERLIN MAY LEAVE EVERTON

Morgan Schneiderlin could still leave Everton this summer.

SSN understands that both Fenerbache and Besiktas are interested in the midfielder, who has fallen down the pecking order at Goodison Park following the arrival of Fabian Delph and Jean-Philippe Gbamin.

We understand Schneiderlin is open to a move away and Everton would also be happy for him to leave if they are certain of completing a deal for one of their remaining targets.

In this case, if Everton were to bring in Abdoulaye Doucoure for instance, then Schneiderlin would be allowed to leave.

Given Schneiderlin could move abroad, Everton aren’t under pressure to make a decision before Thursday’s deadline.

It certainly didn't work out for him at all after he left us.

Never worked at Utd, certainly didn't work at Everton.

Grass isn't always greener, but I guess the bank ballance is. $$$$

Its always the bank balance..............we just cant and probably wont get caught..........oh wait we did Forster,Carrillio...............

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws/2019-08-07/lokeren-heeft-steve-de-ridder-en-mickael-tirpan-naar-de-b-kern-gestuurd

Google translate:

"Lokeren lost on the opening match day with the smallest difference from Beerschot. Two boys who were there at the time have since been sent to the B-team.

According to Het Laatste Nieuws, Lokeren has removed Steve De Ridder and Mickaël Tirpan from the first team. In that B-core they can gradually set up a complete team: Van Moerzeke, De Mey, Monsecour, Reznicek, Julian Michel, Terki and Slagveer were already there.

Steve De Ridder was told a while ago that he must leave, but has not yet found a new club. At Tirpan there are other reasons. Tirpan went red last Friday and was sent to the B-team for disciplinary reasons. His story at Lokeren seems completely over."

It certainly didn't work out for him at all after he left us.

Never worked at Utd, certainly didn't work at Everton.

Grass isn't always greener, but I guess the bank ballance is. $$$$

I think that's a bit harsh on the lad, he was a good servant of the club who had outgrown the team and wanted to test himself at a higher level his departure didn't feel hugely money motivated unlike say Lovren, when he left us he was a French International and most of us thought United had got themselves one of the best DM's in the league. Sadly for what ever reason it hasn't worked out for him, Man Utd was always going to be a big ask and it seems his confidence has taken a battering. I'd have him back at Saints in a heart beat.

I think that's a bit harsh on the lad, he was a good servant of the club who had outgrown the team and wanted to test himself at a higher level his departure didn't feel hugely money motivated unlike say Lovren, when he left us he was a French International and most of us thought United had got themselves one of the best DM's in the league. Sadly for what ever reason it hasn't worked out for him, Man Utd was always going to be a big ask and it seems his confidence has taken a battering. I'd have him back at Saints in a heart beat.

Exactly who we could do with right now, shame it won't happen.

Meanwhile Jason Puncheon has joined Pafos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49258601

Agree, I still think he'd offer more as a DM for us than we've currently got.

Much loved defector Lovren potentially on the move...

@_pauljoyce: AS Roma in talks with Liverpool over transfer of Dejan Lovren. Deal possible and asking price around £15m now. Lovren recognises he’s fourth choice.

That's quite cheap for "one of the best defenders in the world"... :)