Saints to play Schalke & Besiktas in Austria in July - includes full pre-season info

View From The Top

These are dates thru out July. Surely the Memorial Cup will be played early August

These are our fixtures on the two weekends in early August...

Saturday 3rd August (8pm local time)

Celta Vigo vs Southampton – Estadio Municipal de Balaídos

Saturday 10th August (3pm BST)

Southampton vs Real Sociedad – St Mary’s

Sorry, you will just have to smack ALL the fat blokes in Saints shirts you dont recognise...

or look for the one moaning the most if we're losing but very quiet if we're winning.

Anyway, what's with the memorial cup? Why has it gone? This is outrageous. We need an online petition or a Facebook group.

or look for the one moaning the most if we're losing but very quiet if we're winning.

Anyway, what's with the memorial cup? Why has it gone? This is outrageous. We need an online petition or a Facebook group.

whatever, not going to let you spoil a very happy moment for me

aw, I'm so excited I could wet myself....

I wouldn't go that far myself, but the number of times I have seen the posters advertising the various friendlies v CF Palafrugell over the years and wished that Saints would somehow find their way here while I was there. Now it's finally happening is a very surreal feeling.

The one thing about this pre season set up is it looks very positive, no league one cloggers but a mix of different styles, in different places.

Whats the public transport links like from Girona to Palamos and Palamos to Palfrugell ?

Hoo-bloody-Ray a chuffing miracle!! Thats Wednesday evening in Palafrugell sorted out, that is an exceptional playing surface for the home ground of a Spanish 7th Division side. Saw Espanyol play there in a pre season friendly and saw them played off the park first half.

Shame I can't make Saturdays game as that is a very nice little ground.

Both an hour from Girona airport with direct flights from Bournemouth for those tempted. Palamos is a working fishing port with seafront hotels certainly not Benidorm Playa D'Aro down the road is the place for that. Palafrugell is a very pleasant little town in land from the sea which is not that far down the road When you get to the sea it is very quiet and can be a bit expensive.

if you are planning on these and want Barcelona thrown in you are looking at driving for 1:30 - 2hrs.

Whats the public transport links like from Girona to Palamos and Palamos to Palfrugell ?

There are regular coaches that run from Girona, and 99.9% certain from Girona Airport to the Bus station in Palafrugell, the route that they take will take you through Palamos , along with all the other seaside towns, from the Airport en route and vice versa. The bus company is called SARFA (I just tried to get a link for you but safari is acting the goat!!).

Never used the bus myself but know of quite a few folks who have and they have never moaned about the price so I guess it's is reasonable.

Edited by John Boy Saint

Brilliant, thanks very much, might see you at the match.

There are regular coaches that run from Girona, and 99.9% certain from Girona Airport to the Bus station in Palafrugell, the route that they take will take you through Palamos , along with all the other seaside towns, from the Airport en route and vice versa. The bus company is called SARFA (I just tried to get a link for you but safari is acting the goat!!).

Never used the bus myself but know of quite a few folks who have and they have never moaned about the price so I guess it's is reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
Bournemouth appear to have trumped our pre-season headliner...

Twitter_Avl_normal.pngAFC Bournemouth@afcbournemouth

BREAKING: @afcbournemouth will host Spanish giants @RealMadrid in a celebratory exhibition match on Sunday 21st July. #afcb #realmadrid

Now that is an expensive friendly!

Cherries season ticket holders:

Adult: £55

Concession: £40

U16: £25

Executive: £75

General sale price:

Adult: £60

Concession: £45

U16: £30

Executive: £80

Bournemouth appear to have trumped our pre-season headliner...

BREAKING: @afcbournemouth will host Spanish giants @RealMadrid in a celebratory exhibition match on Sunday 21st July. #afcb #realmadrid

i hope were not charging the same as them (£55!) for our big preseason friendly ! it will be a very empty Saint Marys if its anywhere near that

fa1e1ea4b49a59e6f2dff8365fa69f0a_normal.jpegSouthampton FC@SouthamptonFC

Want to take in our pre-season friendlies in Austria this month? We're currently looking into creating an official travel package. If you would be interested in heading to Austria with an official travel package, we want to hear from you! Get in touch. If you're interested in a potential trip to Austria, please email socialmedia@saintsfc.co.uk to make yourself known. We can only confirm a price for a potential official travel package once we've gauged interest, so drop us a line

Worth noting that Real Madrid play Galatasaray in Istanbul the day after the Bournemouth friendly, so the idea that it'll be their "full first team minus Confederations Cup players" is fanciful at best.

Real Madrid superstars Özil, Kaka and Ronaldo will grace the Goldsands Stadium on July 21st: http://bit.ly/120T2cM #afcb #realmadrid

Going first two Spanish games staying in palamos, anyone else going?

For the first time in many years we are not spending our holiday in that area. We normally drive down with our caravan and stay a bit further north near Pals. Do you know the area and have a car? I can give you a few ideas of places to go, depending on your interests. This place is well worth a visit. It's on the north side of Palafrugell on a nous trial estate on the road to Regenços. Quality booze at unbelievable prices. They do a pack of three magnums of Rioja for only a few Euros.

http://www.vinsilicorsgrau.es/index.php

I'm jealous.

For the first time in many years we are not spending our holiday in that area. We normally drive down with our caravan and stay a bit further north near Pals. Do you know the area and have a car? I can give you a few ideas of places to go, depending on your interests. This place is well worth a visit. It's on the north side of Palafrugell on a nous trial estate on the road to Regenços. Quality booze at unbelievable prices. They do a pack of three magnums of Rioja for only a few Euros.

http://www.vinsilicorsgrau.es/index.php

I'm jealous.

cheers mate, no car but will use buses or taxis, as 20 year olds looking mainly just to fill the days with a bit of boozing maybe the odd day activity, cant wait as never been saints abroad, only done england games

Already booked.

Friday night in Santiago, train to Vigo, see the game and stay in Vigo Saturday night.

Train back to Santiago on Sunday then fly home.

Should be a good one.

Fly to Porto Thursday morning and fly back from Porto Monday night. Haven't looked at buses/trains in Spain from Porto airport to Vigo and the same on the way back. Anyone got any idea? Ironically staying in 'Hotel Celta' in Vigo, works out at about 10 quid each a night.

Those going to Palafrugell and Palamos checked at the airport bus station at Girona Airport and you have to catch the bus into Girona from stand 1 then the Sarfa bus to Palafrugell/Palamos.

with a week to go no posters up yet!! Or anyone to ask re prices to get in, the Palafrugell game could be viewed as so incidental that it might be Gratis!!

Yes, I will be there for the Besiktas game. Sadly, in every sense of the word, travelling on my own this year as my normal travelling companions are, for reasons best known to themselves "holidaying with their families".

Any recommendations regarding bars etc? Thanks

Fly to Porto Thursday morning and fly back from Porto Monday night. Haven't looked at buses/trains in Spain from Porto airport to Vigo and the same on the way back. Anyone got any idea? Ironically staying in 'Hotel Celta' in Vigo, works out at about 10 quid each a night.

Yes mate, there is ALSA buses in Spain which is very good and cheapish. You can book it all online. The only problem you might have, that I had before, is that they sometimes don't accept British credit cards and only Spanish cards over the net. But give it a go.

http://www.alsa.es/en/

This is the website. The trains in Spain are very expensive so buses will be your best option. If you have any problems let me know because there are ways around it.

Yes mate, there is ALSA buses in Spain which is very good and cheapish. You can book it all online. The only problem you might have, that I had before, is that they sometimes don't accept British credit cards and only Spanish cards over the net. But give it a go.

http://www.alsa.es/en/

This is the website. The trains in Spain are very expensive so buses will be your best option. If you have any problems let me know because there are ways around it.

Just found a bus company called Autna that seem to run 5 buses a day from Porto airport to Vigo and Vigo to Porto airport. Although it seems quite hard to work out prices and how reliable/easy to find etc these buses are.

Yes, I will be there for the Besiktas game. Sadly, in every sense of the word, travelling on my own this year as my normal travelling companions are, for reasons best known to themselves "holidaying with their families".

Any recommendations regarding bars etc? Thanks

Tricky one to answer.

I dont go to watch VSV (the home team for the Lind stadium), so not sure where the home crowd congregate. I think most yokels drink in the stadium. Also doesnt sound like many of us are going to be there. There is a pretty decent Gasthaus called Annenhof near the stadum on Heinrich-von-Türlin Strasse. Has a nice beer garden. I would suggest you go in the direction of the Hauptplatz and Lederergasse, that where most of the action is in Villach. The Brauhof up from the Haputplatz is a pretty good bar, quite traditional. Its still a quick yomp across to the stadium. If you have transport and are not dashing back, I suggest you go to the Ackern afterwards. Outside place in a field of massive sunflowers with tents and hay bales and usually a large open-air fire with live music. Only problem is its on the outskirts.

Edited by alpine_saint