• Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Gabbiadini
    • Boufal
    • Long
    • Clasie

Waiting at Heathrow for a flight, what a terrible game to follow through a dodgy wi-fi connection! I was fuming when it went to 2-2 after we'd had 16 shots (according to BBC), I moved to find a plug socket - 4-2 when I looked again!

Of the five minutes that I got to watch on stream (our second goal) it looks like things are starting to click up-front - a good flowing goal, pleased for Nathan as he's been one of our best players the last few games. Gabbi has been ridiculous, he's our joint-second top scorer after four games! I hope Austin's got a comfy cushion for his place on the bench.

Hopefully Caceres is match fit and VvD is not far off as Stephens is not showing himself to be great against the more physical attackers - I really don't fancy him up against Kane in a fortnight's time. I'm not too worried about him for the long term though, he was never going to be 'ready' for the PL at his age. The only similar-aged CB I can think of in the league is John Stones and he's a liability for City - more mistakes leading to goals than anybody else in Europe. Stephens will come good for us.

Only think I do worry about is Puel always seems to leave his substitutions very late, and we usually concede just after we make them. Not sure JWP was the right player to bring off, it sounded as though he was having another good game (but again - hard to follow from the airport). Romeu needs a rest, he's our most important player and we have nobody to replace him with if/when he gets injured or suspended.

Great 3 points, shame I wasn't there as it must have been a great atmosphere!

Like to see PEH or Clasie alongside Romeu .I really don't like or rate Davis and never have.Still a wins a win, would've been an absolute injustice if Watford got anything out of that.They were terrible, very niggly .Need to tighten things a bit at the back.What a difference Gabi has made to attack. Everyone seems far more confident going forward a real game changer for us.

Don't disagree about PEH/Clasie being drafted in to help Romeu. Davis is being played out of position lately and can't really handle the support holding role. The situation in midfield has been brought about in part with the switch of JWP to a wing/inside right position, which seems to leave us exposed defensively.

Played well for most of the game, but the sloppy 20 mins around their equaliser could have cost us. Make no mistake, their keeper killed them. We'll need to be more ruthless against better sides.

I don't get the "out of his depth" comments about Stephens. Obviously he's not as good as VvD or even Yoshida, but he's not out of his depth. He'd get in the Watford side, and there's plenty of centre halves in this league at his level.

Puel proving what a good manager he is, to get 3 away points after Sun is good man management. Well done Claude & Eric Black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two teams really form Southampton. Good going forward and poor in our half, not only defending but clearing the ball or playing it out from the back. Caceres should help with that.

Tadic MOM. Could have been more involved but he did everything right.

We all love Romeu but he was sloppy when we were leading. Too many times he needed to clear it to the wings instead of putting teammates under pressure with short passes or losing the ball altogether.

We lack physical presence on the midfield. Is PEH injuried? He should have been there to help Romeu hold the midfield when it was 2-1. You could see the tying goal was coming milles away.

This was a game for J-Rod or Hojberg to be more tall and strong. We were bullyed by Watford and struggled in every set piece. Not impressed by this win, and I don't think Claude will be happy with our defensive effort.

We need to be better because you can't get a save from Forster this days.

On the bright side: Tadic and Manolo are soooo good together.

Redmond is getting very good cutting inside. And Boufal is ready to go again.

Do you have an obsession with Everton ?

wtf are you on about :lol:

perfectly reasonable question to ask- at end of the day 7th place is only way we can make europe now (plus a top 5 team winning fa cup), unfortunately i don't think we will, defence not good enough, all dependent on whether vvd recovers quickly.

Nice game for the neutral? A good three points but if there had been 10 more minutes we may have lost that. Far, far too complacent from Redmond to lose the ball in their half which then led to their third and once again Forster acts like a statue when a deep ball comes in.

I wanted to give Stephens the benefit of the doubt - I think he'll make it one day - but at the moment he cannot handle big forwards as often he just doesn't even bother jumping. Plus he gets caught ball watching and let's himself drift out of position meaning Yoshi has to clear up for him (if he can).

Boufal has great feet, but often has no end product - needs to get his head up more. I did say in the match thread that I thought taking off JWP for Boufal was not the right move and so it proved (to a certain extent).

Lastly, Puel made a huge mistake IMO bringing on the smallest player in the side to face what was obviously going to be an aerial bombardment by Watford at the end. Should have taken the opportunity to get Caceres on and give him a little match time.

Overall delighted, but we made hard work of a game we bossed. Once again.

Cannot agree about Boufal - he provided attacking spark straight away; it was his shot turned in by Gabbi and then he threaded through and hit the side netting.

For those who criticise Foster I guess would have gone into melt down if Gomez had been in our goal today.

Foster made one decent save but cant really blame him for anything else.

We do need more height and athleticism in midfield.

I am a fan of Steven Davis but think he fell below his normal 7/10 level today.

Jack Stephens has done better than I expected but we definitely need to replace Fonte

Meantime Yoshida has done OK

Nice to win at Vicarage Rd for a change but Watford reminded me a bit of the old Wimbledon

Good support from the saints fans.

What amazed me re Redmond's second goal was how deceptive he was. Bringing the ball forward in the penalty area, he looked the whole time to be shimmying for a pass to his right. The sudden explosive shot was incredible. It was close to their keeper, but completely surprised him. Glorious goal. Redmond shone all game. He's going to be a huge part of Saints for a while to come.

Edited by NewYorkSaint

For those who criticise Foster I guess would have gone into melt down if Gomez had been in our goal today.

Foster made one decent save but cant really blame him for anything else.

We do need more height and athleticism in midfield.

I am a fan of Steven Davis but think he fell below his normal 7/10 level today.

Jack Stephens has done better than I expected but we definitely need to replace Fonte

Meantime Yoshida has done OK

Nice to win at Vicarage Rd for a change but Watford reminded me a bit of the old Wimbledon

Good support from the saints fans.

Gomes is a way better shot stopper than Forster. Forster isn't better than Gomes at anything. They might be equally **** at some stuff, but at least Gomes makes decent saves and some saves he isn't expected to make.

While we were playing twice a week, I've defended Puel over squad rotation and his substitutions but I'm beginning to lose faith in him. Thought today's substitutions were wrong in who he took of and in the timing, just as they were at Wembley. For the defence to let in 3 goals against a mid-table side isn't good enough and just because the forwards scored 4 doesn't mean the failings should be overlooked. Stephens has had his chance with a run of games and doesn't look up to this standard. Since Puel claimed that Caceres was looking good in training, how is it he hasn't been given at least half a game to see how he gets on?

Unfortunately, I can't see any club coming in to poach this manager so we are probably stuck with him unless things get really bad. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the three points but only improving the GD by 1 feels like a lost opportunity.

What amazed me re Redmond's second goal was how deceptive he was. Bringing the ball forward in the penalty, he looked the whole time to be shimmying for a pass to his right. The sudden explosive shot was incredible. It was close to their keeper, but completely surprised him. Glorious goal. Redmond shone all game. He's going to be a huge part of Saints for a while to come.

Thought he was good against Man u too, but ran out of steam around 70 minutes (knackered, but played great) and should have been taken off. Really great from him today. He might become very very good in the future. He is still very raw

While we were playing twice a week, I've defended Puel over squad rotation and his substitutions but I'm beginning to lose faith in him. Thought today's substitutions were wrong in who he took of and in the timing, just as they were at Wembley. For the defence to let in 3 goals against a mid-table side isn't good enough and just because the forwards scored 4 doesn't mean the failings should be overlooked. Stephens has had his chance with a run of games and doesn't look up to this standard. Since Puel claimed that Caceres was looking good in training, how is it he hasn't been given at least half a game to see how he gets on?

Unfortunately, I can't see any club coming in to poach this manager so we are probably stuck with him unless things get really bad. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the three points but only improving the GD by 1 feels like a lost opportunity.

Large parts of this post are ridiculous.

There was no rotation today.

Like to see PEH or Clasie alongside Romeu .I really don't like or rate Davis and never have.Still a wins a win, would've been an absolute injustice if Watford got anything out of that.They were terrible, very niggly .Need to tighten things a bit at the back.What a difference Gabi has made to attack. Everyone seems far more confident going forward a real game changer for us.

Great win and good to score four goals for the second away match in a row. Finally in the last few games CP has accepted that we are far more potent playing 4231 as many have been clamouring for all season. It gives us so many more options going forward. Ok, we leaked goals today - maybe Caceres will get a game for the 23s against Chelsea and come into contention and we certainly miss VVD.

Forster saves practically nothing. Stephens is out of his depth. I'm fine with his selections and rotation generally. This was an unchanged side as mentioned above.

The thing I don't agree with is not giving Caceres a chance today, he must start all games from now until VVD returns. Caceres is quality having seen him play a few times internationally and for Juventus. He's an international standard footballer, he must be bewildered that Stephens is playing over him. If he's fit to play, then he should start.

I agree that if he doesn't have the fitness then give him a half, or 60 minutes. We can't defend at the minute and Stephens is the weak link of the outfield players. Caceres has to play.

I know where you're coming from, but the final bit is uncalled for in my view. He has potential to be very good for us (Puel. I really like him and hope he stays with us long term. He has great potential as a manager), he just needs to be more ruthless with team selection. Stephens needs to be dropped. Let's hope he wakes up and drops Stephens for Caceres until VVD returns.

Edited by FriendlySaint
JUVENTUS NOT ITALY ….

Davis further forward in JWP position and Hojberg or Clasie in DM would see the midfield working even better IMO.

Frustratingly the best side is probably with Davis dropped instead of JWP but we've backed ourselves into a situation where that "can't" happen now.

Davis further forward in JWP position and Hojberg or Clasie in DM would see the midfield working even better IMO.

Frustratingly the best side is probably with Davis dropped instead of JWP but we've backed ourselves into a situation where that "can't" happen now.

If I'm a manager then I pick the best team. If that means the captain on the bench then so be it. A proper captain, and leader, won't mind that.

Davis is far better than either the plodding Clasie or Hojberg. Davo drives the team forward and is far more creative than Clasie or PEH.

Davis is far better than either the plodding Clasie or Hojberg. Davo drives the team forward and is far more creative than Clasie or PEH.

I prefer Davis to them too. The issue is Stephens (and Forster), not Davis. In my opinion. We're letting in nearly every shot, Stephens can barely win a header and looks dodgy at best. Really harsh to blame Davis or JWP and want either dropped in my view. We scored 4 today, 3 legal goals against Man u (and hit the woodwork) and 4 against Sunderland.

Losing VVD has helped us strangely. Its forced Puel to be more attacking. We always had the personal for attacking and playing for 1-0 even with VVD was always a mistake.

Just hope he doesn't revert straight back to dullness once VVD is fit.

Think hed have a player revolt again if he did?

Lets look upwards not down now. COYS

How frustrating we finally get the scoring side of the team right but have lost the early season defensive side. Imagine if Puel had had Gabbi at the start of the season :?

Still only one team playing football today we were excellent going forward.

If we had Gabbiadini at the start we would be 10 (possibly more?) points better off right now probably?

Losing VVD has helped us strangely. Its forced Puel to be more attacking. We always had the personal for attacking and playing for 1-0 even with VVD was always a mistake.

Just hope he doesn't revert straight back to dullness once VVD is fit.

Think hed have a player revolt again if he did?

Lets look upwards not down now. COYS

Gabbiadini has made a massive difference. As has switching to 4231 (which I believe the majority here wanted all season long)

Any away win in this league is brilliant, we dominated almost throughout and thoroughly deserved the win !

Some great performances and much of the criticism largely unwarranted IMO !

We are improving and with the prospect of Caceres, VVD and maybe even Austin coming into the side before the end of the season then the future is looking pretty bright !

COYS

Stephens isn't up to it. Since he's come into team we've conceded loads including his fault for 3rd goal last week. We need caceres fit and vvd then will be a very good team and compete for 8th. Jwp was poor today. Redmond excellent and tadic and boufal will come good. Gabba not best game but a constant threat.

Unfortunately, I can't see any club coming in to poach this manager so we are probably stuck with him unless things get really bad. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the three points but only improving the GD by 1 feels like a lost opportunity.[/quote

We are a mid table side too.

Since Stephens came into the side we have conceded 17 goals in 7 matches. Thats over 2 per game (and including the EFL cup semi final clean sheet v Liverpool and a clean sheet against a hopeless Sunderland) . It's obvious that he isn't ready for the Premier League yet and surely a half fit Caceres has to be a better option at present? Maybe we could get away with it if we had a keeper who makes any sort of save, but with Forster and his habit of letting in 90% of the shots he is facing, its putting the dampener on some fantastic attacking play in the last few games.

What amazed me re Redmond's second goal was how deceptive he was. Bringing the ball forward in the penalty area, he looked the whole time to be shimmying for a pass to his right. The sudden explosive shot was incredible. It was close to their keeper, but completely surprised him. Glorious goal. Redmond shone all game. He's going to be a huge part of Saints for a while to come.

Did that shot get deflected? I thought it must have done on first viewing but the replays on my (admittedly not that clear stream) seemed to suggest not. Good win anyway, a bit lucky considering the poor defending but tbh who cares, just take the 3 points and enjoy the win.

Since Stephens came into the side we have conceded 17 goals in 7 matches. Thats over 2 per game (and including the EFL cup semi final clean sheet v Liverpool and a clean sheet against a hopeless Sunderland) . It's obvious that he isn't ready for the Premier League yet and surely a half fit Caceres has to be a better option at present? Maybe we could get away with it if we had a keeper who makes any sort of save, but with Forster and his habit of letting in 90% of the shots he is facing, its putting the dampener on some fantastic attacking play in the last few games.

Stephens definitely isn't ready. I think he may make it but probably not as a centre back.