United vs Saints Build Up Thread

nta786

Its currently (at 11pm in the evening, 13C in Manchester), it is warmer than it was in the summer. It might get a bit colder by Sunday, but its hardly cold.

Great stat Vectis. So I think that rules out all of Charlie's argument,

Early dark nights are a bit depressing though. While Charlie didn't mention it himself, I'd like to put that point forward to back up his post...

"The more you try and weaken them, the stronger they come back. If we bought 5 of their players, they'd win the league next year and we'd get relegated. Just ask Brenton. " :)

Lol. But then balanced against that, spotted this gem about Big Vic / the Arsenal match:

"The recent Arsenal - Southampton game he completely bossed you lot."

"Were you at the game? He didn't - he was largely ineffective after the card. Saints were poor until they got their tails up after two goalkeeping mistakes- we were abysmal."

"I was really impressed by Mane - not that we need him. Shame on me, but I knew very little about him before the game - and he was a constant threat to us (who wasn't, though). Incredibly gifted and has an eye for a pass. Not that we need him at all, of course." LOL

If we win, and it is doable, the table will look really healthy for us and I'll start believing that top 4 is a real possibility. Draw or lose and it won't be the end of the world, but with Utd's attack being what it is, I think they'll finish top four with City and Chelsea, leaving Arsenal (IMO) favourites to take the 4th spot.

Top 6 would still have been a cracking season though. Fingers crossed for more.

Oh Charlie. You make me feel so depressed! This is just one game and only worth three points. You don't lose a season based on three points. Plus we've already proven we can go through a bad patch but are strong enough to come back and beat Everton, draw with Chelsea, and then thrash Arsenal! Have more faith.

Though have got to admit the weather puts me in a bad mood too...

Such a nice rebuff and bet you have good counselling skills in real life.

Play to our strengths and be up for the game I think we will get a draw, could pinch a win. This is United at OT though so I expect a loss by one dubious goal assisted by Phil Dowd.

This is what I expect.

I reckon we'll get robbed tomorrow, don't know why.

Felt really optimistic in my first post, now I think we'll be robbed.

It'll be like St Mary's game to me, they'll just get two dodgy goals.

There is a lot of pressure on United to win this game as LVG as highlighted he has an almost fully fit team to choose from with the exception of Ashley Young, he cannot hide behind injuries if they don't perform.

I personally would love to see Saints go back to the 3-5-2 we look very organised, Clyne and Bertand seem to have more freedom and it's the best performances I've seen from Long (Everton) and Mane (Palace) playing off of Pelle.

I would like to hear fans thoughts on Tadic, fantastic that he got a goal against Arsenal and assist against Chelsea but those that sit around me are all starting to comment on his performance throughout December with poor delivers from good positions and having large spells in games where he's seeming quite ineffective.

I say this as if we play 3 at the back could we see Tadic on the bench;

Forster

Alderweireld Fonte Gardos

Clyne Bertrand

Wanyama Schneidelin

Davis

Long Pelle

There is a lot of pressure on United to win this game as LVG as highlighted he has an almost fully fit team to choose from with the exception of Ashley Young, he cannot hide behind injuries if they don't perform.

I personally would love to see Saints go back to the 3-5-2 we look very organised, Clyne and Bertand seem to have more freedom and it's the best performances I've seen from Long (Everton) and Mane (Palace) playing off of Pelle.

I would like to hear fans thoughts on Tadic, fantastic that he got a goal against Arsenal and assist against Chelsea but those that sit around me are all starting to comment on his performance throughout December with poor delivers from good positions and having large spells in games where he's seeming quite ineffective.

I say this as if we play 3 at the back could we see Tadic on the bench;

Forster

Alderweireld Fonte Gardos

Clyne Bertrand

Wanyama Schneidelin

Davis

Long Pelle

Here's one opinion on Tadic....

Too slow, poor crossing and lacks energy and support to his team mates....

Certainly not deserving a first team spot right now... Really don't understand how he's getting picked ...

Certainly not deserving a first team spot right now... Really don't understand how he's getting picked ...

Assist versus Chelsea. Goal versus Arsenal.

Who deserves to play instead? Long?

Well it's an opinion.................. Tadic is the third best assister in the PL and top saints assist provider though

http://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-premier-league-2014-2015/

We'll lose this 4-1. With no injuries they will be too strong. Sorry to burst some bubbles.

with that prediction im assuming you haven't actually seen us play this season or something?
right?

01) 20 games played. Of our 6 losses only 1 opponent beat us by more than a 1 goal margin and that was against City.

02) 20 games played. No one has scored 4 on us. And only one team has scored 3. Again City.

03) 20 games played. Only 3 games where a team scored more than 1 goal against us - City (3), Man U (2) and Liverpool (2).

03) 20 games played. 15 goals allowed. Man U is going to put up 30% of our season goals allowed total in one game?

is it possible they put up 4? Sure, but extremely unlikely.

right?

01) 20 games played. Of our 6 losses only 1 opponent beat us by more than a 1 goal margin and that was against City.

02) 20 games played. No one has scored 4 on us. And only one team has scored 3. Again City.

03) 20 games played. Only 3 games where a team scored more than 1 goal against us - City (3), Man U (2) and Liverpool (2).

03) 20 games played. 15 goals allowed. Man U is going to put up 30% of our season goals allowed total in one game?

is it possible they put up 4? Sure, but extremely unlikely.

Good points. 3-1 Utd then.

Well it's an opinion.................. Tadic is the third best assister in the PL and top saints assist provider though

http://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-premier-league-2014-2015/

It's also interesting to see that JWP has only got 3 less assists than Tadic, and he has played a relatively few number of games. What's more he's nailed on to start against United tomorrow.

A draw would give us a nice little 3 point cushion on Spurs and being as Arsenal aren't going to realistically overtake us tomorrow plus they have City (a) next week a point should see us stay top 4 for at least a couple more weeks yet.

I can see us getting a point, would love all 3 after the game as SMS but that might be a bit of a stretch.

Plenty do seem to rate Clyne though. It wouldn't be surprising if they put in a serious bid for him.

In other news, sounds like Shaw is going to be fit for them, be interesting seeing him up against Clyne.

Apparently they've bid for Coleman at Everton according to one of the sports rags....

It's also interesting to see that JWP has only got 3 less assists than Tadic, and he has played a relatively few number of games. What's more he's nailed on to start against United tomorrow.

Very interesting, particularly as he's been out for a large chunk of the season. I'd be interested to know what those assists were (corners, free kicks or open play). You can't argue with the numbers...

Very interesting, particularly as he's been out for a large chunk of the season. I'd be interested to know what those assists were (corners, free kicks or open play). You can't argue with the numbers...

From the top of my memory

Assist for Morgan's goal (2nd v.West Ham): Short corner with Tadic, whipped into the near post from just outside the box.

Assist for Morgan's goal (4th goal v. Newcastle): Short pass to the edge of the box, following Pelle's back heel, for Morgan to curl into the top far corner.

Assist for Mane's goal (1st goal v. Palace): Throughball, after exchanging passes with Mané who then rounded the keeper.

Assist for Toby's goal (3rd goal v. Palace): Outswinging corner from the right for Toby to head in.

Assist for Mané's goal (1st goal v. Arsenal): Chipped ball down the line for Mane to chase and curl in from the byline.

From the top of my memory

Assist for Morgan's goal (2nd v.West Ham): Short corner with Tadic, whipped into the near post from just outside the box.

Assist for Morgan's goal (4th goal v. Newcastle): Short pass to the edge of the box, following Pelle's back heel, for Morgan to curl into the top far corner.

Assist for Mane's goal (1st goal v. Palace): Throughball, after exchanging passes with Mané who then rounded the keeper.

Assist for Toby's goal (3rd goal v. Palace): Outswinging corner from the right for Toby to head in.

Assist for Mané's goal (1st goal v. Arsenal): Chipped ball down the line for Mane to chase and curl in from the byline.

Impressive memory, Shurlock. They don't call you that for nothing.

I had an incredibly vivid dream this morning about this game. We won 3-0. My wife said I was cheering in my sleep and yelling 'get in'. The first goal was a goalmouth scramble, with Clyne getting the final touch over the line and the goal confirmed by GL technology. The second was Yoshida knocking it through De Gea's legs at the near post from six yards out, following a corner. The third was Long in the last ten minutes, on the break, to put the game to bed. Sounds about as convincing a prediction as anything Lawro has ever come up with.

I had an incredibly vivid dream this morning about this game. We won 3-0. My wife said I was cheering in my sleep and yelling 'get in'. The first goal was a goalmouth scramble, with Clyne getting the final touch over the line and the goal confirmed by GL technology. The second was Yoshida knocking it through De Gea's legs at the near post from six yards out, following a corner. The third was Long in the last ten minutes, on the break, to put the game to bed. Sounds about as convincing a prediction as anything Lawro has ever come up with.

Incredible effort from Yoshida since he's in Asia!