Captain

St Chalet

Captain  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Captain

Morgan is the future and I'd hate to see him ending up like Adam in the role. @We need Morgan concentrating in his play without his head distracted by the responsibility being Captain would bring.

For me Ricky has shown his ability and has led by increased enthusiasm,.

When Pochettino first arrived and there was a lot of fur flying, Schneiderlin was the one who spoke most to the media trying to stabilize things, and he did a very good job of it. I thought he was sure to get the armband, but it's probably not a good idea to change mid-season, and it could have got MP off to a bad start in the dressing room.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he's captain next season. He doesn't seem particularly vocal on the pitch but he does lead by consistent example.

Davis. Seemingly a shoe in for a first team spot under Pochettino and was Rangers captain to boot. Leave Lallana and Rickie to do what they do. That all being said I wouldn't be against Rickie or Morgan getting the captaincy, both would do very good jobs.

I think the reason adz has got the armband is because he is an academy player and a statement of the "southampton way"

I would have Lambert as skipper, he is our talisman. Adz has had a very mixed season, was very poor last week (did not see the game today thank god), but also had some great games. He has had a lot of niggles and his season has been stop start.

I think the reason adz has got the armband is because he is an academy player and a statement of the "southampton way"

I would have Lambert as skipper, he is our talisman. Adz has had a very mixed season, was very poor last week (did not see the game today thank god), but also had some great games. He has had a lot of niggles and his season has been stop start.

Can't think of Lallana having any great games. I think pool at home he played okay, then in struggling.

Went for Schneiderlin as he has a head for the game and leads by example anyway, you dont need to be constantly vocal IMO just need to be able to try and rally the troops if needed.

Lambert and Davis are good mentions but for me Morgs is certainly the LAST person I would replace, snd so I vote for him

That's how I see it, and if it had worked out it would have been a great story. But it hasn't worked and needs to be changed ASAP.

That's how I see it, and if it had worked out it would have been a great story. But it hasn't worked and needs to be changed ASAP.

I remember both Channon & MLT being given the captaincy, failed miserably for both. Both great players, but not captains. AL is not a captain in my view as not in a position to influence others or the game.

Morgan. Lambert has done OK this season but he DOES lack effort at times and does go missing in some games. Good player, NOT a leader.

Morgan puts his mouth about but is a young guy, good enough player though to be able to tell people what to do with authority.

Actually the debate on this issue should really hint at what kind of a player we need to sign in the summer, a proper leader at centre-half (A James Collins type player).

Not convinced Rickys got enough to be a regular starter next season on the evidence of the last few weeks, would go for Morgan as captain

How many times have people said this on this forum.. He's played for us for 3 years not 3 weeks, maybe you should check some of the other evidence.

At the end of the day it's up to MP.

I think he'l get to know his squad by next season and if he still feels having AL is cpt is best then thats that, if a change is to come it'l be over the close season.

Personally im happy for Lallana to stay as he's been a big part of our club for years and has earnt the chance to lead the side out BUT I seriously hope he'l be a bit more vocal next season in games like yesterday.

Quite telling that AL is not even in the top 3 in the poll!! Like AL, and great player when on form, but that does not make him a good (never mind great) captain. Time he focused on his game and passed on the captaincy to someone else.

I remember both Channon & MLT being given the captaincy, failed miserably for both. Both great players, but not captains. AL is not a captain in my view as not in a position to influence others or the game.

That is absolute garbage mate. Le tissier played his best football when he was captain. Was made captain November 93 and then lost it in nov 95. In between was ballys time at saints so I'm sorry but you are completely wrong there.

That is absolute garbage mate. Le tissier played his best football when he was captain. Was made captain November 93 and then lost it in nov 95. In between was ballys time at saints so I'm sorry but you are completely wrong there.

Yes, you may indeed be correct re MLT under Alan Ball, age blurs the memory.

Personally im happy for Lallana to stay as he's been a big part of our club for years and has earnt the chance to lead the side out BUT I seriously hope he'l be a bit more vocal next season in games like yesterday.

I hear what you're saying but it's not just an honour - it's a role, and a very important one. It has been quite some time since we had someone on the pitch who could pick the side up with some well-directed words, and there have been many occasions when that may well have cost us points.

The list on this link shows that a "no nonsense" temperament, which Lallana doesn't really have (but which players like Ball and Case had in abundance), is quite a common feature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Premier_League

Of the last 20 years

Our regular captains have been

MLT ( influential )

Barry Venison ( by example )

Richard hall ( by example )

Jim magiliton ( by example )

Jason Dodd ( by example )

Chris marsden ( by example )

James Beattie ( influential )

Claus ( by experience )

Unknown/unmemerable ?

Kelven Davis ( by experience )

Dean Hammond ( by example )

Jose Fonte ( by example )

Adam lallana ( ??? )

Rickie lambert ( influential )

I think taking it away from Lallana could disrupt his form further. I agree that he hasn't been as consistant as we would have liked this year but I still see him as one of our best players. Hopefully he really kicks on next season, as captain.

• 5 months later...

Seems in true SWF fashion this was completely blown out of proportion.

Especially pleased for the mung bean who said Lallana is the 'last person I would choose as skipper'.

His attitude, application and skill are first class, and he is a homegrown player - a brilliant role model and leader for us. In fact, is there a player in the PL who combines skill and work rate in the same way AL does? Rooney perhaps but theres not many.

I think taking it away from Lallana could disrupt his form further. I agree that he hasn't been as consistant as we would have liked this year but I still see him as one of our best players. Hopefully he really kicks on next season, as captain.

Well done for forming your own opinion and not just jumping on the bandwagon. You were right too.

U need to have different factors considered, longetivity (who is going to be round for say the next 3-5 seasons), playing time (who will get 90 mins every game), composure, respect....

Of these attributes, I put Morgan, lovren, fonte.

Who in yesterday's game was doing all the talking at the start in the huddle? Looked like fonte?

Those attributes I also mentioned unfortunately rule out Ricky, he won't play every game, and he hasn't got seasons and seasons left.

Seems in true SWF fashion this was completely blown out of proportion.

Especially pleased for the mung bean who said Lallana is the 'last person I would choose as skipper'.

His attitude, application and skill are first class, and he is a homegrown player - a brilliant role model and leader for us. In fact, is there a player in the PL who combines skill and work rate in the same way AL does? Rooney perhaps but theres not many.

Lallana has had an excellent start to this season, but was nowhere near this current level of performance last season, when this thread was entirely relevant. But well done you for dragging up a thread in that tired "oh I told you so" way, even if it Just based on a few decent games. Oh hang on, you didn't even post on it in the first place, even better.

Of course its relevant. Being Captain shouldnt be linked directly to form anyway.

At the end of the day the Staff and Players are much better placed to suggest who the Captain should be than us on the internet who have no idea about the dynamics of the dressing room.

Hence not posting on it.

Some of the abuse he got about his leadership of the team was totally ridiculous, especially seeing as he was doing a job he had been asked to do!

And what is the point of posting if we cant reflect on some of the trash people write that invariably turns out to be way, way off.

OK, so Lallana has played himself into form as well as being our captain, and long may it last. I maintain that Steven Davis would be a superb captain for us. He leads Northern Ireland by example, he led Rangers by example, and he could lead us by example. The main question about that is whether he's guaranteed a first team spot, like Lallana is, but if Lallana (God forbid) gets injured or suspended, I'd like to see Davis leading the team out.

OK, so Lallana has played himself into form as well as being our captain, and long may it last. I maintain that Steven Davis would be a superb captain for us. He leads Northern Ireland by example, he led Rangers by example, and he could lead us by example. The main question about that is whether he's guaranteed a first team spot, like Lallana is, but if Lallana (God forbid) gets injured or suspended, I'd like to see Davis leading the team out.

How does Lallana not lead us by example?

what does he do differently than lallana?
They're both different in their own right, however Davis has a lot of experience in the role so AS I SAID BEFORE.. IF Lallana gets injured or suspended, Davis would be my choice as captain.

Am I not wording it right? Davis is not replacing Lallana, but he's whom I'd choose for captain as back up to Lallana if I were manager. Which I'm not. (Acknowledging also that there are many good candidates for captain within our ranks.)