Arsenal EFL Cup - Match Thread

St Chalet

I'm not sure if Claude will go like he did against Sunderland in the last round with all of Reed, Stephens AND Isgrove...

But I reckon it could be something like this:

------------Forster------------

Martina Fonte Yoshida McQueen

-------------Reed-------------

-------Clasie----Davis-------

------------Boufal-----------

--------Long---J-Rod-------

- Pretty sure Virgil, JWP, Hojbjerg, Redmond will be rotated out.

- Bertrand & Cedric will likely be cycled out and utilized on Saturday.

- Assuming Davis & Tadic are both ready to go.

- Romeu could easily play again though.

First team, no messing about. Rest a few at Palace so we are ready for Hapoel. The two cup games are massive. We are safely mid table in the league and well positioned for a run after Christmas. Advancing to the knock out stages of the EL would be great, and there is no reason we can't get to the League Cup Final, and even win it. Don't bugger about Claude.
This.

Palace is the game we should be playing reserves and resting players. Getting positive results in our next two mid-week games are much more important than whatever happens in the Palace game.

Palace will be further weakened, because Cabaye is suspended. I'd still say the league game was more important. Wenger will make many changes too.

Didn't know that. Very interesting. Remy is doubtful & Wickham will definitely miss the game on Saturday too.

Tadic had a bit of string holding his badly broken nose to his face on Sunday, he hasn't been training and would possibly be a big risk if he plays anytime soon...

Pencil him (lightly) in for the Europa game next week?

Palace will be further weakened, because Cabaye is suspended. I'd still say the league game was more important. Wenger will make many changes too.

Why exactly? This is a Cup quarter final - the fact that Wenger will make changes makes it potentially a better chance for us to progress and go on and win something - but only if we pick a strong side. I get why we have rested players in previous rounds but now that we are in a Q-Final, surely we should give it our all to go all the way?

Personally, I would much prefer to see our strongest side in this one, even if it means playing a weaker side at Palace. Would be a shame if we go out with a whimper again wondering what could have been had we actually gone for it.

Play McQueen and Cedric!

----------McCarthy--------------

Cedric-Fonte-Yoshida-McQueen

-----------Romeu--------------

------Reed-------Clasie

Sims-------------------Boufal

-----------Long---------------

Subs- Forster, VVD, Bertrand, Martina, JWP, Redmond, Rodriguez

I think we should spew this game to be frank, don't think we have a chance to make the final and would rather save our powder for next Thursday. league Cup comes around every year unlike the Europa.

Of course we do. A 2 legged semi against West Ham, Newcastle, Hull, Leeds or even Man Utd would give us a great chance of reaching the final. Only team I wouldn't fancy facing would be the bin dippers.

I think we should spew this game to be frank, don't think we have a chance to make the final and would rather save our powder for next Thursday. league Cup comes around every year unlike the Europa.

It comes to something when fans give up on a semi final. Game has gone mad.

Swear you've been banging on about not winning stuff lately. Anyway, let's not try and spew any game, let's try and win. What are you expecting? How do you suggest we save our powder for next Thursday? Send 11 out to stand around and not run about? We'll put out a different side, just like we always do in this competition, and they'll give it their best shot. Who knows what will happen but to suggest that we don't try and win is laughable. Genuinely baffling chat when anyone suggests that.

Pretty sure the team will be

McCarthy

Martina/Stephens Yoshida Fonte McQueen

Davis, Reed, Clasie

Long, Rodriguez, Boufal

Assuming Boufal and Davis are OK of course.

First team, no messing about. Rest a few at Palace so we are ready for Hapoel. The two cup games are massive. We are safely mid table in the league and well positioned for a run after Christmas. Advancing to the knock out stages of the EL would be great, and there is no reason we can't get to the League Cup Final, and even win it. Don't bugger about Claude.

He'll continue to pick the same squad-wide teams that he has so far. If he's not picking the "first team" in Prague when a win could have got us through, and he's not picking the "first team" for Everton, he's not picking the "first team" for Arsenal's reserves away in the League Cup either.

Unlike League Cup finalists of the past 6 years Sunderland, Swansea, Bradford City, Cardiff and Birmingham?

I'm going with

Forster

Martina Fonte VVD Bertrand

Romeu

Davis Ward Prowse McQueen

Long Rodriguez

Think he'll rotate and will fancy 4 points at least from next 2 league games. I fear that Romeu and Virgil will burn out and they've become the spine of the side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was Puel I would play our first team for this, we beat them in 2014, why not again!!

I reckon a mix and match first/second XI team could beat Palace anyway.

I'd like to play this

Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD McQueen

Romeu

Clasie Davis

Boufal Austin Long

(unfortunately Tadic is injured, or would have played him instead of Austin tbf)

That team still has 5 changes anyway, and surely we don't have to rotate just for this week!!!

I gather that over a season we can't sustain no rotation, but surely one week our players can give it their all without affecting their condition too much.

But seeing as, to be honest, we are a bit hot and cold this year, surely winning the League Cup guarantees us another go in the Europa league next season? Which is where the club wish to be on their mission to increase the clubs profile across the Planet, and increase the revenue streams, which in turn reduces the restrictions of FFP.............. Which ultimately should enable us to keep more players through being able to pay higher wages.

But seeing as, to be honest, we are a bit hot and cold this year, surely winning the League Cup guarantees us another go in the Europa league next season? Which is where the club wish to be on their mission to increase the clubs profile across the Planet, and increase the revenue streams, which in turn reduces the restrictions of FFP.............. Which ultimately should enable us to keep more players through being able to pay higher wages.

Yup, 3-ish League Cup wins (with maybe a draw or narrow defeat in the two-legged semi final) to get into Europa League qualifiers, or 5 FA Cup wins, or 6-ish Europa League wins (from here), or 18-ish league wins...

Yup, 3-ish League Cup wins (with maybe a draw or narrow defeat in the two-legged semi final) to get into Europa League qualifiers, or 5 FA Cup wins, or 6-ish Europa League wins (from here), or 18-ish league wins...

not to forget that we add to the trophy cabinet and get a Wembley day out of it!!!

Arsenal

------------Forster-------------

Cedric--Fonte--VVD--Bertrand

---Davis--Romeu--Højbjerg---

---Redmond--Austin--Boufal---

Palace

---------------Forster---------------

Cuco--Yosh--Stephens--McQueen

-----Clasie----Reed----Prowse-----

-------JRod----Long----Sims-------

Hapoel Beer Sheva

---Redmond--Austin--Tadic---

Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Matt Macey, Krystian Bielik, Stephy Mavididi and Marc Bola have all been left out of our U23 team to face Leicester tonight, indicating they may be in the squad to face Southampton on Wednesday.

U23 team vs. Leicester:

-------------Keto

Johnson--Sheaf--Da Graca-- Da Silva

------Bennacer--Zelalem

Nelson------Dragomir------Willock

------------Nketiah

Subs: McGuane, Virginia, Malen, Mourgos and T. Bola.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above was sent by my Arsenal mate, maybe they are playing a fringe team?

I think Arsenal's reserves will have too much for ours. Think we will see a lot of changes. In all honesty the plan was probably to ignore this competition; we have just happened to have drawn two awful sides so far and accidentally beat them. If we play Long and J Rod then our best hope will be taking it to penalties.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think Arsenal's reserves will have too much for ours. Think we will see a lot of changes. In all honesty the plan was probably to ignore this competition; we have just happened to have drawn two awful sides so far and accidentally beat them. If we play Long and J Rod then our best hope will be taking it to penalties.

Not if those two are still on the pitch to take them though...

In all honesty the plan was probably to ignore this competition; we have just happened to have drawn two awful sides so far and accidentally beat them

If there's any truth in that then should have refused to take any tickets for Saints fans. As we've got 6,000 travelling up in freezing conditions then they'd better take it very seriously or they are really gonna p*ss off a lot of people. Again.

I think Claude may surprise us...

If there's any truth in that then should have refused to take any tickets for Saints fans. As we've got 6,000 travelling up in freezing conditions then they'd better take it very seriously or they are really gonna p*ss off a lot of people. Again.

I hope so. It just looks like, understandably, the focus is more on the league and europa. We are better off going for this now we are in a good position, but I think Puel will put out a much weakened side.

Arsenal

---Redmond--Austin--Boufal---

Palace

---------------Forster---------------

Cuco--Yosh--Stephens--McQueen

-----Clasie----Reed----Prowse-----

-------JRod----Long----Sims-------

Hapoel Beer Sheva

---Redmond--Austin--Tadic---

There is absolutely no way we would put a league side out that is as weak as that. We'll put out 3 fairly strong sides, making 3/4 changes each time I think

Must admit i am surprised that we still haven't sold out the allocation, 5,806 is a lot of tickets midweek though, especially when we have been playing midweek regularly it is a lot to ask of fans, 2200 went to Prague just 5 days ago and have sold out 3000 for Palace on Saturday. Even still it might reflect some of the sad apathy that people like Fitzhugh Fella has shown on here.

I'm not a fan of having the away split either, lower and upper tier with Arsenal fans in the corporate middle tier between us.

Not sure if read too much into that article about Arsenal resting players, they will still have a strong side out with internationals and we'll need to be at our best to get through. Don't fancy our chances if it goes to penalties, i've never seen Forster get near saving one and McCarthy is still injured i think. Could also do without having to get a later train home!

Hope we play a strong team and we have the excitement of a semi final to look forward to.

Must admit i am surprised that we still haven't sold out the allocation, 5,806 is a lot of tickets midweek though, especially when we have been playing midweek regularly it is a lot to ask of fans, 2200 went to Prague just 5 days ago and have sold out 3000 for Palace on Saturday. Even still it might reflect some of the sad apathy that people like Fitzhugh Fella has shown on here. .

I'm not going and it's only the second first team match I've missed all season (Man City away was the other as I had NFL tickets months before the fixtures).

Just can't justify the midweek away game to watch a reserve team and a half when I've got work on Thursday, as opposed to anything else (though we are already skint from going to Man U, Arsenal, West Ham, Leicester, Hull, Be'er Sheva, Milan and Prague, and paying for Palace and Bournemouth!).