• Romeu
    • Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Gabbiadini
    • Højbjerg
    • Long

Taters said he threw his shinpads when PEH was subbed on for Tadic.

He will be off in the summer anyway and looked better without him slowing things down. Great result and unexpected. Well done Jack Stephens, massive confidence boost v Defoe and Yoshida much better than last week. Romeu a beast. Tadic back on form. Full backs superb.

Much needed win as it maintains the points difference we had over Sunderland. Gabbiadinii s a clinical finisher plus his intelligent movement will help Tadic as he has needed someone making cute runs. Shows what we can do when we get the ball forward quicker and ditch the passing for passings sake so more of this please. Good preparation for the EFLC final. Well played Saints.

Edited by saintant

Much better display by Saints. The pressing seemed much more organised and once we'd weathered a tricky first 20 minutes we got on top and stayed on top. Now we just to do that consistently.

Also credit to Saints in picking out gabbiadini to buy. Didn't know much about him but he's shown a clinical edge that we've been missing. Also great to see Long back confident and on form. Jrod hasn't got much of a case to be ahead of either in the pecking order at the moment.

Stephens had a very good game today which i was glad to see. Hope he starts in final.

Just what we needed! These players who throw a strop when not playing have all had plenty of chances this season with our excessive rotation. They know the answer - play better when they get the chance! After all, Romeu doesn't get rotated. Gabbiadini is just what we need, someone to finish. We play good enough football, but need to take our chances to build our confidence.

I am SO HAPPY to admit i got this wrong today. I really did think our players would have their minds on Wembley and not turn up today.

First 20 minutes i thought we were awful but after that we grew into the game and once the first goal went in their confidence drained whereas ours grew.

What a difference it is to have a striker with natural striker movement and finishing.

Thankyou thankyou Saints for lifting my spirits. Now for a repeat of "76" C'mon you Saints!!!

Great result - just the ticket. Now the boys can ride the feel good factor all the way up to the cup final, having found some attacking form, and put a 10 point buffer (11 if you include the goal difference) between us and the relegation zone.

Pleased for Stephens, getting a clean sheet under his belt. Who knows if he'll make the grade ultimately, but I think people have been quick to write him off after barely a handful of games (which included wins and clean sheets against Leicester, Liverpool and now Sunderland). He's got a chance to play and learn on the job, so good luck to him. He'll never improve without having some kind of run in the side.

A majestic performance. Were we really good, or where Sunderland really poor? Or did we just make them look poor? Whichever way, it was still a good performance from us, especially after the first 20 minutes when maybe Sunderland might just have edged it. After that, we were winning the 50/50 balls in midfield, our passing and movement was good and with Gabbiadini up front, we carried not only a real threat, but some superb finishing.

Once again, there were good performances throughout the team, Cedric and Bertrand good at giving us the width when they rampaged upfield, Forster not having much to do, because Yoshida and Stephens also were solid. In the midfield, Romeu in particular shone, but was ably assisted by Davis and Ward-Prowse. Tadic had one of his better games and provided some good service with Redmond for Gabbiadini. The number of shots on goal, tackles, possession stats must be pretty impressive.

In the last quarter of the match, bringing on the pace of Long must have been a bit scary for Sunderland and he did prove to present a problem for them, bringing in an own goal to prevent him scoring and then as casual as you like, stroking in a great delivery to score himself.

So, it was only Sunderland, but their heads were held high from their thrashing of Crystal Palace and the point against Spurs, whereas our confidence could have been weak after our recent run. But the noises coming from Puel and a couple of players pre-match indicated that there was a determination to turn things around and now psychologically having beaten a team 4-0 when they had last won their match 4-0 themselves, combined with a clean sheet too, gives us a massive confidence boost before the League Cup final.

I was amused at the commentators saying how unlucky Sunderland were to have so many key players out injured, whereas of course there was not a dicky bird about the key players we were missing. I'm pleased that the players didn't seem to have had half an eye of the Cup Final avoiding tackles that could have put them out with injuries, but instead fought hard to make a case for their inclusion.

Good result and confidence boosting. Should remember they are the bottom club, but still they won 4-0 last week, we were away and we bagged 4 goals so much credit to the team.

Just wish we weren't so inconsistent.

Who knows, maybe Gabiadini is going to fire us up the table for the rest of the season.

I agree with all the praise for Romeo. He absolutely bossed the midfield today. Where I think his game has improved massively is that he seems to be avoiding bookings now, yet still tackling aggressively. This was always Victor's problem, he picked up so many needless bookings or sendings off. I think Romeo has come on leaps and bounds in that respect and become a much more 'clever' player.

Much needed win as it maintains the points difference we had over Sunderland. Gabbiadinii s a clinical finisher plus his intelligent movement will help Tadic as he has needed someone making cute runs. Shows what we can do when we get the ball forward quicker and ditch the passing for passings sake so more of this please. Good preparation for the EFLC final. Well played Saints.

errrrr........no it does not maintain our points difference over Sunderland. It increase it: we won you know

Today ,West Ham & Boscombe are 3 away performances every bit as good as anything Koeman did. I've said all along that given the loss of Mane,Pelle & Vic Puels doing a better job than people make out. Today was proof of that. Stephens played well because of the faith Puel has shown in him, ditto JWP & Redmond. OR is playing far better than he ever did under Koeman. Now he's been given a striker who can score and more importantly make intelligent runs, we've got the makings of a decent little side. If he can get more consistency out of Tadic, we really will be in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palace must be awful to get thumped at home by that lot. What is it with Jay Rod? After last week's first half perhaps he should wind his neck in. Good win perfect timing just wish we had Barry for Europe.

Perhaps all those stories about him {jay rod}wanting out are true although done nothing this year to start getting the hump like he did today

Today ,West Ham & Boscombe are 3 away performances every bit as good as anything Koeman did. I've said all along that given the loss of Mane,Pelle & Vic Puels doing a better job than people make out. Today was proof of that. Stephens played well because of the faith Puel has shown in him, ditto JWP & Redmond. OR is playing far better than he ever did under Koeman. Now he's been given a striker who can score and more importantly make intelligent runs, we've got the makings of a decent little side. If he can get more consistency out of Tadic, we really will be in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Tadic will be loving playing with Gabba - he shows the early and quick movement that tadic will find.

Palace must be awful to get thumped at home by that lot. What is it with Jay Rod? After last week's first half perhaps he should wind his neck in. Good win perfect timing just wish we had Barry for Europe.

Could cost him his place in the squad for Wembley.