Saints appoint Marieanne Spacey - Cale Head of Women's & Girl's Football

Monk

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-07-16/announcement-marieanne-spacey-cale-head-of-girls-and-women-southampton

Massive appointment from Saints, Marieanne has been a huge 'cog' in the machine that has been progress of womens/girls football in England. Might also help with the club achieving a professional licence.

Have you had any dealings with her Monk? I don't know much about Womens football but this appointment seems big, are you able to give us a lowdown?

Have you had any dealings with her Monk? I don't know much about Womens football but this appointment seems big, are you able to give us a lowdown?

I haven't directly other than a cup of coffee on a table of ten! Lot's of colleagues at work have worked with and under her through the women's pathway. Superb coach (just graduated from Pro Licence). Incredibly influential figure in the women's game, potentially opens up a lot of doors for Saints in terms of player/staff recruitment but mainly development of our own. We've got some incredibly talented staff in the women's programme already at Saints. This will have all the clubs paying attention to Saints - despite not having a licence *yet.

Thanks for the information Monk. Saints are really raising their game here and I presume with the aim of getting the licence after the recent disappointment.

Don't think we've got any girls worth poaching in my club, but it's exciting for the game in Hampshire to have such a local professional centre. I'd love to play on the Staplewood pitches!

I thought our application for a women's team was rejected or something.

It was, however some clubs who originally believed they could operate at that level have since withdrawn their application.

This is a very progressive move. Well done Saints. PS my 9 year old daughter is pretty nifty...

In May next year the club will hold open trials for the girls academy. They do it each year - competition is tough especially once you reach 10+ as your daughter would need to be better than one of the girls already in the academy - its not good enough to be'good enough' - she needs to be better. Still, worth a punt though and good experience either way.

I haven't directly other than a cup of coffee on a table of ten! Lot's of colleagues at work have worked with and under her through the women's pathway. Superb coach (just graduated from Pro Licence). Incredibly influential figure in the women's game, potentially opens up a lot of doors for Saints in terms of player/staff recruitment but mainly development of our own. We've got some incredibly talented staff in the women's programme already at Saints. This will have all the clubs paying attention to Saints - despite not having a licence *yet.

Saints to be first to appoint a female first team coach? :)

Still, worth a punt though and good experience either way.

Absolutely this. It will show what is available as you progress, none of which was around 40 years ago. I'm vicariously excited about the opportunities, so get out there in the back garden with a football tonight, DT. :-)

Incidentally, I was watching one of the videos with MSC inside the dome at Staplewood with some of the girls practising in the background. More control than I've ever had!

No interest in women's football whatsoever. It's substandard in every way. Would sooner watch a local men's village team.

If I had a quid for every guy who made the effort to come onto a thread about women's football and say they were not interested and/or it's substandard I'd be paying for my season ticket in bags of coins and not by credit card, which my statement reminded me of in the post this morning.

Let's just posit that GCS is a fat c***, and he may even acknowledge the fact. I go into the pub and make an express effort to go up to him and tell him he's a fat ****. Nah. Just keep quiet, in neither case are the comments helpful, needed or wanted.

If I had a quid for every guy who made the effort to come onto a thread about women's football and say they were not interested and/or it's substandard I'd be paying for my season ticket in bags of coins and not by credit card, which my statement reminded me of in the post this morning.

Let's just posit that GCS is a fat c***, and he may even acknowledge the fact. I go into the pub and make an express effort to go up to him and tell him he's a fat ****. Nah. Just keep quiet, in neither case are the comments helpful, needed or wanted.

LOL

Good luck to Southampton ladies (do they even exist)?

But let’s all agree, ladies football is of an appalling standard given the coverage it gets

I got quite into woman's football a few years back and really enjoyed it. A few years back I was on holiday in Italy and a local women's team we're playing so we decided to watch the game with my son and niece. It was quite decent with two teams of a reasonable standard. However the one thing that ruined it for me was a foul mouthed English woman playing for one of the teams. Not only was she a rubbish player way off the pace of the others, she constantly swore and abused the other players whilst strutting round the pitch with an obnoxious, haughty, arrogant attitude appearing the think she was a cross between mother Theresa and the female Eric Cantona. My niece, who was 7 at the time and playing football for a local kids team decided there and then that football wasn't for her and she still talks now of the "horrible woman" who put her off football for life. Shame as it would be good for young girls to have some decent role models.

And everyone who says that is correct. Evidence:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/amp/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html

Personally I’d rather we didn’t waste money investing in the women’s game, but I suppose if we are going to then we may as well give it a good go.

The girls team that my daughter plays for keeps beating the boys teams of their age group, with the coaching they are getting there is no argument at grass roots level that the standard of football for girls can be compatible to that of boys. At the professional level the game is years behind the mens but that is due to the attitudes towards the game. The quality is improving all the time and there is a market for the game so I am happy to support it especially if my daughter one day can play for our beloved saints and who knows one day for england

I see there are some supportive dads on here, and others who have been so blinded by the professional game that they don't seem to appreciate that sport is enjoying yourself, enjoying the challenge and trying to improve. Do you tell your daughters not to bother in other walks of life too, "because you'll never be as good"? The 19th century called and wants their attitudes back. For all the talk about 'investment' at these higher levels the money involved is peanuts: a week's pay for Zaha, shared use of decent facilities.

The reality for most amateur teams is scrabbling around to get matching kit, decent practice balls, access to all weather training facilities, coaches who have had some training and a little shovel to clear away the dog sh*t. It's enthusiasm for the game that we share: at one stage I was training twice a week, travelling hours and not necessarily getting off the bench - unfortunately getting slightly better technically coincided with getting a lot slower!

Forgive me if all this negativity makes me feel a little weary. But at least some of the attitudes here don't surprise: some names you just know the attitude they're going to have on any particular subject, and they rarely disappoint.

This is a subject that obviously and directly interests me: why some of you are here gawd only knows..

I see there are some supportive dads on here, and others who have been so blinded by the professional game that they don't seem to appreciate that sport is enjoying yourself, enjoying the challenge and trying to improve. Do you tell your daughters not to bother in other walks of life too, "because you'll never be as good"? The 19th century called and wants their attitudes back. For all the talk about 'investment' at these higher levels the money involved is peanuts: a week's pay for Zaha, shared use of decent facilities.

The reality for most amateur teams is scrabbling around to get matching kit, decent practice balls, access to all weather training facilities, coaches who have had some training and a little shovel to clear away the dog sh*t. It's enthusiasm for the game that we share: at one stage I was training twice a week, travelling hours and not necessarily getting off the bench - unfortunately getting slightly better technically coincided with getting a lot slower!

Forgive me if all this negativity makes me feel a little weary. But at least some of the attitudes here don't surprise: some names you just know the attitude they're going to have on any particular subject, and they rarely disappoint.

This is a subject that obviously and directly interests me: why some of you are here gawd only knows..

why does not thinking ladies football is anything good mean you have an 'attitude'

I cannot stand Rugby League. Does that mean I hate northerners?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/amp/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html

Personally I’d rather we didn’t waste money investing in the women’s game, but I suppose if we are going to then we may as well give it a good go.

I’d be interested to hear why you think Saints would be wasting money in investing in women’s football. From what I read there are significant commercial opportunities in developing women’s football which is one of the reasons why PL clubs have invested. Sponsors see women’s football as a wholesome brand. The more investment going into women’s football the better the standards will be, the more exposure it will get, the greater the sponsorship. Women make up 50% of the world’s population. Seems like a potentially vast largely untapped brand. Not for the first time Saints appear to have been a little slow to recognise commercial opportunities but this appointment may address that.

If people want to spend their time creating and supporting a women's football team related to Southampton then they are entirely free to do so and I hope they are successful. I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to it as long as it doesn't have any impact on Southampton FC.

I got quite into woman's football a few years back and really enjoyed it. A few years back I was on holiday in Italy and a local women's team we're playing so we decided to watch the game with my son and niece. It was quite decent with two teams of a reasonable standard. However the one thing that ruined it for me was a foul mouthed English woman playing for one of the teams. Not only was she a rubbish player way off the pace of the others, she constantly swore and abused the other players whilst strutting round the pitch with an obnoxious, haughty, arrogant attitude appearing the think she was a cross between mother Theresa and the female Eric Cantona. My niece, who was 7 at the time and playing football for a local kids team decided there and then that football wasn't for her and she still talks now of the "horrible woman" who put her off football for life. Shame as it would be good for young girls to have some decent role models.
Massive lol.

I'm perfectly happy with it as long as its coming out of our charitable budget or something saints foundation related.

You'll be glad to know I'm not fat. I go to the gym 5 days a week and am very fit. Why the need to use the word c-u-n-t? Can't control yourself on a forum?