Referee with One Arm

spyinthesky

I vaguely remember a Ref with one arm - Alf Bond(?) who used to officiate at games in the 50's/60's?

Anyone else on here old enough to see him in action?

In those days Refs would wear blazers and thick wooly socks and basically officiate from around the half way line.

Dear old Alf would find it difficult to officiate these days as he would have difficulty getting out the yellow and red cards and also keeping up with play.

Everything was black and white in those days so no coloured cards would be available!!

There was a ref in the local leagues, probably about 25 years ago who was blind in one eye. Despite his deficiency, he was one of the better refs around & was a decent bloke, happy to banter with the players & earning a lot of respect. I remember one match when he missed a clear handball, the offended player turned to him, asking if he was blind, his response was "yes, in my right/left eye" (I forget which), there wasn't much more his potential antagonist could say to that.

Yes I remember Alf Bond. Saw him 3 or 4 times at The Dell. In those days bookings were quite rare and sending offs very rare.

But also players had a lot more respect for the refs back then. Decisions were not questioned, even when they were clearly wrong. But the game was different then. If you scored it was a quick hand shake, not all of the palaver we see today.

And if your opponents scored a good goal, the whole stadium would applaud it. Sounds daft, but it was considered the 'sporting' thing to do