The Killers

Give it to Ron

Not my cup of tea but good for the city to be putting on big live acts. Hopefully it will inspiee even a few people to get down to some of our smaller venues more regularly.

Southampton has seen a massive upturn in the quality of live acts playing here over the past couple of years, there's been some amazing gigs at the Joiners, Heartbreakers, Loft, 1865 etc recently.

Vinilo record shop has just booked Snow Patrol for the 1865 which is a big coup not only for them but for Southampton. It sold out in less than 24 hours. Again, not really my thing but definitely good for the city. They also have a lot more live stuff planned for the next couple of years.

Bringing big bands to the city is great news, all these acts started somewhere though so it's important we support the local venues they once played at and keep them going so the next generation of artists have the platform to grow.

Southampton will never be the sort of draw for bands like Bristol or Brighton but we now have an amazing bunch of people working their butts off to bring good music here. I'll be at Heartbreakers tonight. The Loft and Joiners next week. It's a great time for music in the city.

Great post The Cat I see first hand how hard a local promoter works to bring good bands to Southampton. It’s not easy due to size of venues bigger promoters have failed but thankfully people like my future SIL are keen to keep it going at Joiners Heartbreakers and 1865 .

Blossoms are great live looking forward to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my cup of tea but good for the city to be putting on big live acts. Hopefully it will inspiee even a few people to get down to some of our smaller venues more regularly.

Southampton has seen a massive upturn in the quality of live acts playing here over the past couple of years, there's been some amazing gigs at the Joiners, Heartbreakers, Loft, 1865 etc recently.

Vinilo record shop has just booked Snow Patrol for the 1865 which is a big coup not only for them but for Southampton. It sold out in less than 24 hours. Again, not really my thing but definitely good for the city. They also have a lot more live stuff planned for the next couple of years.

Bringing big bands to the city is great news, all these acts started somewhere though so it's important we support the local venues they once played at and keep them going so the next generation of artists have the platform to grow.

Southampton will never be the sort of draw for bands like Bristol or Brighton but we now have an amazing bunch of people working their butts off to bring good music here. I'll be at Heartbreakers tonight. The Loft and Joiners next week. It's a great time for music in the city.

Back when I was at sixth form we used to get decent bands at the Guildhall. Saw Placebo, Supergrass, Foo Fighters, Terrorvision there. And Bush, which I apologize for.

Back when I was at sixth form we used to get decent bands at the Guildhall. Saw Placebo, Supergrass, Foo Fighters, Terrorvision there. And Bush, which I apologize for.

Rarely get anyone good there now, partly due to the terrible sound, also bands that sell Guildhall amounts of tickets generally do short tours and will miss Southampton out. Can't say I blame them because the Guildhall is a rubbish venue. It's also hamstrung by being an O2 Academy who have completely lost the plot over the last 5 years.

Pompey Guildhall on the other hand seem to splash out a bit more on bigger bands although it means punters paying through the nose to attend because of the fees they command. They have booked Elbow and are charging £52 a ticket FFS.

thankfully people like my future SIL are keen to keep it going at Joiners Heartbreakers and 1865 .

Fair play. There's a decent scene here now and the hard work from people like her is vital in keeping it going.

Was at Heartbreakers last night, 3rd on the bill were a new band from Southampton called Web who totally nailed it. They wouldn't have the opportunity if there wasn't so many gigs going on here now.

Fair play. There's a decent scene here now and the hard work from people like her is vital in keeping it going.

Was at Heartbreakers last night, 3rd on the bill were a new band from Southampton called Web who totally nailed it. They wouldn't have the opportunity if there wasn't so many gigs going on here now.

I meant son in law but same thoughts he puts in loads of effort bringing new bands on 2 of his Hotel Lux and Mystic Peach doing really well worth a look

I meant son in law but same thoughts he puts in loads of effort bringing new bands on 2 of his Hotel Lux and Mystic Peach doing really well worth a look

I've seen Mystic Peach a few times and really like them. Hoping the do well for themselves because they certainly have something good going on. Hotel Lux are ok, although they are Pompey so I probably don't give them as much credit as I should.

Is your son in law involved with Honeymooner or So Young?

Used to wound me as a massive fan of music and live music especially that Southampton was a bit crap as a live music town. I did see a few gigs at the Uni and Guildhall but regularly went to Poole Arts Centre or Pompey for gigs.

Luckily I married a manc and moved up here after Uni over 20 years ago. Several bands on every night of the week and always get the latest bands in town. Some proper venues too.

I am pleased to hear there is a resurgence back in So'ton. I might even come down for this if my bro is up for it. Miss going to gigs with him. Although I have to say Flowers' voice is soooooo bad now. I saw them at the Leadmill in Sheffield on their first uk tour and they were great, not so much since then. Blossoms, pride of Stockport... they even have a sign saying so as you come off the M60!

I've seen Mystic Peach a few times and really like them. Hoping the do well for themselves because they certainly have something good going on. Hotel Lux are ok, although they are Pompey so I probably don't give them as much credit as I should.

Is your son in law involved with Honeymooner or So Young?

I know a few of the people involved with so young. Also got a mate in Dead Rabbits, although they’ve been a bit quiet recently.

I know a few of the people involved with so young. Also got a mate in Dead Rabbits, although they’ve been a bit quiet recently.

Great band. They just announced a gig at Heartbreakers in December. Think it's the same day as Villa away so going to have to try and get back sharpish for that.

Used to wound me as a massive fan of music and live music especially that Southampton was a bit crap as a live music town. I did see a few gigs at the Uni and Guildhall but regularly went to Poole Arts Centre or Pompey for gigs.

Luckily I married a manc and moved up here after Uni over 20 years ago. Several bands on every night of the week and always get the latest bands in town. Some proper venues too.

I am pleased to hear there is a resurgence back in So'ton. I might even come down for this if my bro is up for it. Miss going to gigs with him. Although I have to say Flowers' voice is soooooo bad now. I saw them at the Leadmill in Sheffield on their first uk tour and they were great, not so much since then. Blossoms, pride of Stockport... they even have a sign saying so as you come off the M60!

This is one of the reasons I jumped at the chance to move to Sheffield for work in 2004. The live music and clubbing scene in Southampton was/is terrible.

I've got to see some class acts in recent years - of the kind who would never bother to include such a musical backwater as Southampton in their tour dates.

I'm coming over to Manchester on Friday to see the Chemical brothers at the MEN. should be reet good :)

How can you say the music scene in Southampton is terrible if you live in Sheffield you have no idea what’s going on in venues here now.

It’s never going to compete with bigger cities but it’s doing bloody well now

Well it certainly was when I left in 2004. I liked the little places like the Joiners and the Brook, although the Guildhall was the only venue big enough to attract the larger acts, but it's a crap venue with terrible sound.

If you say it has improved in that time then fair enough. I've heard the Engine Rooms is supposed to be alright. But as a city it's still nowhere near the top of the list when bands are deciding where to tour.

Where I am now, not only do we get loads of good gigs in Sheffield but I'm in easy reach of Manchester, Nottingham and Leeds as well, so if there's a band you really want to see doing a UK tour, it's almost guaranteed they will be playing in at least one of those cities. But in Southampton you generally have to go to London or maybe Brighton.

So you are basing Southampton on 14 years ago?

There are now loads of small venues booking some top new bands Fat White Family played Southampton. 1865 get some great acts now Snow Patrol in December hardly having to travel to London or Brighton.

We get some old acts too a bit past it maybe saw Christians, Skids and Terry Hall all great gigs.

It’s not the rubbish it was back when you left.

So you are basing Southampton on 14 years ago?

There are now loads of small venues booking some top new bands Fat White Family played Southampton. 1865 get some great acts now Snow Patrol in December hardly having to travel to London or Brighton.

We get some old acts too a bit past it maybe saw Christians, Skids and Terry Hall all great gigs.

It’s not the rubbish it was back when you left.

Cool, I'll take your word for it. Next time I come down to visit friends I'll have a look what's on.

Saw Fat White Family a while back and they were great. As were their other incarnation the Moonlandingz.

Southampton is definitely punching above it's weight at the moment.

It's impossible to compare it with similar size Southern cities such as Bristol or Brighton because they have much entrenched, more established music cultures. We also don't have a decent mid size venue like the BIC which is a pity because bands would certainly play here if we did.

Aside from that though the scene is good. There's often 3 or 4 gigs a night now rather than 3 or 4 a week.

I used to regularly travel to Brighton and London for gigs but don't have to do it anywhere near as often now. There was even a time when Pompey had much better stuff going on but, much like on the pitch at Fratton, we're smashing them now.

Agree, I saw primal scream 30 years ago at the Guildhall. Also saw Pete Dohertys Baby shambles (aka *****ing shambles) there as well.

Sports Team at the Loft last night was pretty crazy. They are picking up new fans at a quick rate. Said Southampton was the smallest gig they are playing this tour mainly because they love the So Young guys.

They'll be playing huge venues this time next year.

Sports Team at the Loft last night was pretty crazy. They are picking up new fans at a quick rate. Said Southampton was the smallest gig they are playing this tour mainly because they love the So Young guys.

They'll be playing huge venues this time next year.

I met them at a festival with one of So Young guys and seemed a great bunch

Wherever you are in the country it's often the same problem, people will willingly fork out the best part of £70 to go see a band they like one song of (ie the Killers), but have other things on when it comes to going to a pub to support grassroots talent. Same as in football really. When we had our plummet down the leagues and our attendances pretty much halved, where did those fans go? Eastleigh? Sholing? Totton? Not likely. Of course, they all came rushing back when we returned to the premier league though.

I used to love the Southampton scene back in the early 90's. Aged 16 I went to my first gig at the Joiners, aged 17 I played my first ever gig at what was the Prince Albert by the bridge and 26 years later I'm still doing it. There's still stuff going on too in multiple genres, you just need to scratch beneath the surface to find it.

Point being, if everyone that forks out for a Killers ticket makes a conscious effort to seek out and attend one grassroots gig in the meantime too, then that would be awesome! I doubt it will happen though.

And if you're looking? [shameless plug alert] My hardcore/punk band are playing a free entry gig at the Shooting Star in Bevois Valley on Saturday 30th. So if you want to let off some steam after we disappoint against Watford, then we can help! :D

If they aren't as good as the drummer from Black Midi then I'm not interested!

Thanks for that - Black Midi are a new one on me. Just listened to their LP - very good indeed.

Speaking of good drummers - I always compare them against John Stanier.

EDIT: Just realised they were Mercury nominated but I don't bother with that. Playing Manc in Jan - I'll defo go check them out.

• 3 months later...

Presumably this will be cancelled along with an absolute load of other gigs and shows. I went to a gig at Heartbreakers last night, probably the last for a while. There were maybe 50 people there, quite a few who had tickets didn't turn up after Boris's "don't go out but we aren't closing pubs" speech.

Pretty grim times for the live entertainment industry, although a small chink of light today that they are suspending business rates for a year.

The Joiners has started a GoFundMe to keep them open and have over 50% of the total donated already in half a day. It's vital that small venues and promoters make it through these times because the industry will collapse without them.

Whether you go to gigs, just enjoy music or have pride in our city this is an important thing to support. There's some amazing people working tirelessly to make Southampton a well recognised city for shows and we've been lucky enough to have some incredible acts booked here in the past couple of years.

Speak to most live music fans around the country and The Joiners is a name they will recognise. It's much, much more than just a pub with a back room and a stage.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-survive-corona-virus

Presumably this will be cancelled along with an absolute load of other gigs and shows. I went to a gig at Heartbreakers last night, probably the last for a while. There were maybe 50 people there, quite a few who had tickets didn't turn up after Boris's "don't go out but we aren't closing pubs" speech.

Pretty grim times for the live entertainment industry, although a small chink of light today that they are suspending business rates for a year.

The Joiners has started a GoFundMe to keep them open and have over 50% of the total donated already in half a day. It's vital that small venues and promoters make it through these times because the industry will collapse without them.

Whether you go to gigs, just enjoy music or have pride in our city this is an important thing to support. There's some amazing people working tirelessly to make Southampton a well recognised city for shows and we've been lucky enough to have some incredible acts booked here in the past couple of years.

Speak to most live music fans around the country and The Joiners is a name they will recognise. It's much, much more than just a pub with a back room and a stage.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-survive-corona-virus

Loved The Killers since they first hit our shores in 2003/04 - the fact that they are due to play our home was pretty special to me so naturally I’ll be gutted when it inevitably gets cancelled - despite the statement the band put out last week.

As with The joiners I expect Engine Rooms and The 1865 to struggle massively with no financial help, be a shame if any of them have to shut as it’s nice to have a choice of venues in Southampton at last.

Your coronavirus playlist

Not convid-19 forever - The Courteeners

Girlfriends got corona - the smiths

My corona - the knack

Don’t stand so close to me - the police

Isolation- joy division

Still ill - the smiths

The recluse - Plan B

My corona - the knack

Isolation- joy division

Still ill - the smiths

The recluse - Plan B

Died in your Arms - cutting Crew

My corona - the knack

Isolation- joy division

Still ill - the smiths

The recluse - Plan B

Nice ?

Started with the first one. St Jude vinyl now playing. Closer going on next.